PDA

View Full Version : More help needed

Sparkles122
November 24th, 2018, 09:20 AM
So in one of my previous posts I told about how my hair is basically destroyed from bleach highlights that I had done around 2 weeks ago. I did do a demi permanent over the bleach highlights to bring me back to my usual medium brown color. However, I do know that this will fade due to the bleach underneath. I only did it a little over a week and a half ago, so no major fading yet. I really want to get the integrity of my hair back to what it was. So my question is, should I keep doing the medium brown demi permanents? The demi permanents that I use have a 9 volume developer. Or should I look into something like henna and indigo? If I go the henna/indigo route I know I would need a good, natural brand. What brand would you suggest?

Sparkles122
November 24th, 2018, 09:27 AM
The demi perm was *last thursday*, so no fading just yet, there are parts that are slightly lighter where my hair is more damaged.

Ylva
November 24th, 2018, 09:32 AM
Continuing to do chemical treatments isn't going to do any good to the integrity of your hair. Your hair isn't going to heal, so you should try and be as nice to it as possible to preserve it, gradually microtrimming away the damage, if that's what you desire. Perhaps looking into Olaplex could be useful, I know I use it on my bleached hair and it has made a difference for me, but it's not capable of miracles, it's just one extra thing you can do to help your hair.

I have no experience of henna/indigo/senna, so I won't say anything about that.

Sparkles122
November 24th, 2018, 09:36 AM
Continuing to do chemical treatments isn't going to do any good to the integrity of your hair. Your hair isn't going to heal, so you should try and be as nice to it as possible to preserve it, gradually microtrimming away the damage, if that's what you desire. Perhaps looking into Olaplex could be useful, I know I use it on my bleached hair and it has made a difference for me, but it's not capable of miracles, it's just one extra thing you can do to help your hair.

I have no experience of henna/indigo/senna, so I won't say anything about that.

I really dont want to do anymore chemical processes to it. My hair is naturally medium brown, so if it doesnt fade horribly, then I may be able to just tolerate it as it grows out

lapushka
November 24th, 2018, 09:36 AM
I would wait until this color has faded; then decide what you want to do.

There are pros and cons to both methods.

Indigo+henna are very permanent, and if you have bleach in your hair, indigo on it will turn green in your hair, so I would not recommend this at all. Unless you do a 2-step process, and henna first, then put a 90/10 henna/indigo blend on it in your second step, this to smooth the indigo a bit because applying this as a newbie can be difficult pure.

And still, with bleach... you don't know how it is going to turn out.

This also means that if you ever want to go lighter, with a chemical dye over this, or pure bleach, that it is... not a good idea. Like *ever* - you would have to buzz it all off or grow it out.

I would, if it were up to me, continue with the demi's until it's grown out.

And pamper your hair with lots of deep treatments, giving it plenty of moisture. I am thinking about the CWC method or even the WCC method; it's all up to you.

Sparkles122
November 24th, 2018, 09:41 AM
I would wait until this color has faded; then decide what you want to do.

There are pros and cons to both methods.

Indigo+henna are very permanent, and if you have bleach in your hair, indigo on it will turn green in your hair, so I would not recommend this at all. Unless you do a 2-step process, and henna first, then put a 90/10 henna/indigo blend on it in your second step, this to smooth the indigo a bit because applying this as a newbie can be difficult pure.

And still, with bleach... you don't know how it is going to turn out.

This also means that if you ever want to go lighter, with a chemical dye over this, or pure bleach, that it is... not a good idea. Like *ever* - you would have to buzz it all off or grow it out.

I would, if it were up to me, continue with the demi's until it's grown out.

And pamper your hair with lots of deep treatments, giving it plenty of moisture. I am thinking about the CWC method or even the WCC method; it's all up to you.

Yikes, would that still happen with the henna/indigo even if the bleach is covered now? That sounds like a route I dont want to go.

lapushka
November 24th, 2018, 09:43 AM
Yikes, would that still happen with the henna/indigo even if the bleach is covered now? That sounds like a route I dont want to go.

I have no idea, TBH. You would definitely have to strand test. If you are dead serious about this (because it is a commitment), then collect shed hair for at least a couple of weeks and test the henna/indigo on the strands of your hair. If it turns a matte black, that is a tell-tale sign that it has turned green.

I had that in my hair at one point! Dark hair, with matte black/greenish hue spots.

BTDT. Not fun!

Sparkles122
November 24th, 2018, 09:47 AM
I have no idea, TBH. You would definitely have to strand test. If you are dead serious about this (because it is a commitment), then collect shed hair for at least a couple of weeks and test the henna/indigo on the strands of your hair. If it turns a matte black, that is a tell-tale sign that it has turned green.

I had that in my hair at one point! Dark hair, with matte black/greenish hue spots.

BTDT. Not fun!

Lol, I think youve made up my mind. I will wait and see if it fades and what it looks like when it fades. I know what the color outcome of my demi permanents would be so I know im not in for further disaster. I just dont want to damage it anymore. Now that I think of it, when I did the demi permanent over the bleach, it didnt make it feel any worse. It did actually make it look *slightly* less fried.

MusicalSpoons
November 24th, 2018, 10:53 AM
If your current color does fade, you could look into deposit-only dyes. They're usually applied using conditioner and you wouldn't have to worry about any damage. Deposit-only dyes are designed to fade, but I have heard of bleached hair retaining the pigment for longer than usual. I don't know how they compare to traditional dyes in terms of cost, but they are another option you could consider.

Riot Crrl
November 24th, 2018, 11:04 AM
If your current color does fade, you could look into deposit-only dyes. They're usually applied using conditioner and you wouldn't have to worry about any damage. Deposit-only dyes are designed to fade, but I have heard of bleached hair retaining the pigment for longer than usual. I don't know how they compare to traditional dyes in terms of cost, but they are another option you could consider.

That's what I was thinking too. A lot of semi-permanent brands only make fantasy colors, but Adore has a few brown shades to choose from. They go for under USD $10 or so. Always strand test of course.

lapushka
November 24th, 2018, 11:16 AM

That actually might be a good idea. You could even go for fun colors, but if not, they do natural colors too, and if the bleach should hang on to the color more, then... your problem is basically solved!

Sparkles122
November 24th, 2018, 11:16 AM

I completely forgot about a semi permanent. Where could I go about getting that? A place like Sally’s?

MusicalSpoons
November 24th, 2018, 12:00 PM
I have no idea, sorry! I only know about them from reading on LHC :lol:

maborosi
November 24th, 2018, 12:59 PM
Deposit dyes are a good idea!

I want to say- but double-check on this because it's been a VERY long time- that Wella Color Touch is deposit only if you don't use the developer.

There are several lines you can get a Sally's. Back when I had dark brown hair, I went with demi/semi permanent but just didn't use the developer. It faded faster, but I didn't have to worry about having to use developer over and over.

PixieNixie
November 26th, 2018, 12:05 AM
No I would not keep doing demis. While the peroxide in the developer is a low level, doing it over already damaged hair is not good. You are running a risk of doing more damage each time you do it over. Adore has semi permanents ( those are a deposit only type dye which means no developer at all) that are in the brown range. That would be the least damaging way to go.

Sparkles122
November 26th, 2018, 10:42 AM
No I would not keep doing demis. While the peroxide in the developer is a low level, doing it over already damaged hair is not good. You are running a risk of doing more damage each time you do it over. Adore has semi permanents ( those are a deposit only type dye which means no developer at all) that are in the brown range. That would be the least damaging way to go.

I am terrified to put more stuff on it. Ill go the semi permanent route if this fades awfully before I can grow it all out

aethyra
November 29th, 2018, 02:10 PM
Lapushka: you are like the Guardian Angel of hair on this site. You knowledge and assistance is far above and beyond!! And your hair is gorgeous!!!!

Vacurlylady
November 29th, 2018, 02:40 PM
Lapushka: you are like the Guardian Angel of hair on this site. You knowledge and assistance is far above and beyond!! And your hair is gorgeous!!!!

I agree! I love Lapushka! She’s always here.. gorgeous hair too!

lapushka
November 29th, 2018, 04:58 PM

I agree! I love Lapushka! She’s always here.. gorgeous hair too!

You guys are really sweet and made my day! :D

<mwah>!

Sparkles122
November 29th, 2018, 06:01 PM
She has really helped me this last week and a half!