PDA

View Full Version : What would you look for in a diffuser dryer?

cathair
November 20th, 2018, 10:56 AM
I'm thinking about looking for a diffuser dryer. The lengths of my hair dry out in an hour but the roots stay wet much longer, which means I want to leave it down while it dries which isn't so practical. It's also going to be unpleasant having damp roots add it gets colder.

I've never had one before, what am I looking for?

What do you have?

The diffuser part is just a plastic piece that goes on the end of a hairdryer isn't it?

Should I buy one with a hair dryer or is there a separate one that's really good?

I don't anticipate ever drying the length of my hair with it. Literally just to speed up the roots.

Thanks for any help :)

nycelle
November 20th, 2018, 11:04 AM
I don't use them, but I think the first thing you need to find out is which ones will attach to your dryer. Not all diffusers work with all hair dryers.

Groovy Granny
November 20th, 2018, 11:50 AM
CONAIR PRO is a universal Diffuser (Amazon) that fits well on my Remington Pro dryer.

Five years ago when I bought it, it had 2 different finger attachments and a flat screen; now I just see it sold singly.

The universals fit most dryers; I would just check the reviews on whatever attachment you are considering.

Normally I use a warm/cool dryer on my scalp, and only use the diffuser in humid weather when my hair has curl explosions lol

My length is so fine it dries very fast, but my scalp still has some darker/med strands underneath that takes longer to dry..and I hate a damp scalp :p

cathair
November 20th, 2018, 12:23 PM
nycelle I don't own any kind of hairdryer at the moment, so that's not too much of an consideration. Unless for some reason it was better to buy a specific one separately.

Groovy Granny Is this the one?

https://www.conair.com/c/1a2a14/volumizing-diffuser/648

Does the number of fingers make any difference to the way your hair dries or how easy it is to use?

It sounds like your hair and my hair dry in a very similar way :)

Groovy Granny
November 20th, 2018, 12:39 PM
Groovy Granny Is this the one?

https://www.conair.com/c/1a2a14/volumizing-diffuser/648

Does the number of fingers make any difference to the way your hair dries or how easy it is to use?

It sounds like your hair and my hair dry in a very similar way :)

Yes that's it :thumbsup:

The other attachment had more flexible fingers, abut I saw no difference between them personally.

They serve to hold the hair in place and give it a little lift at the roots.

Conair is a good brand and the reason I bought that diffuser set.

I have had their dryers in the past; the only reason I have a Remington (another good brand) was because Hubby needed my old dryer for his painting :p and we inherited this one from my inlaws lol

Alibran
November 20th, 2018, 02:59 PM
I've got one of these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0152SMINQ/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I like it because the diffuser is large, so it covers a wide area, and flat, so I can press it into my hair rather than having to stuff my hair inside it. It means less handling, which is important for my hair when it's drying. Also, there are a lot of air holes, so the air is moving very slowly. and it doesn't do much other than provide warmth.

I'm not sure how significant number of fingers would be, other than a bigger diffuser is likely to have more fingers than a smaller one. The length of the fingers is significant for me. I prefer them as long as possible, but I do have very thick hair, so that might be less important for you.

lapushka
November 20th, 2018, 03:26 PM
The diffuser attachment in fact does not much matter.

It's the blow dryer that needs to be OK. At least 2/3 speed settings and at least 2/3 heat settings - separately. And a cool shot if you use it. I would not get a Babyliss, those get hot!

Groovy Granny
November 20th, 2018, 03:45 PM
I found the Conair dryer I had originally and it now comes with a diffuser

https://www.amazon.com/Conair-Ionic-Ceramic-Dryer-Black/dp/B00132ZG3U/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1542753779&sr=8-1&keywords=conair+1875+dryer

And it seems the Remington dryer I now use also has attachments :)

https://www.amazon.com/Remington-Impact-Resistant-Dryer-D4200/dp/B075X278WZ/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_4_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1542753883&sr=8-4-fkmr0&keywords=remington+pro+hairs%3Ddryer

Rowdy
January 15th, 2019, 11:07 PM
I don't know if you are still looking but my bestie got one of these (https://www.target.com/p/tigi-bed-head-curls-in-check-1875-watt-diffuser-hair-dryer/-/A-51074939?ref=tgt_adv_XS000000&AFID=google_pla_df&fndsrc=tgtao&CPNG=PLA_Health%2BBeauty%2BShopping&adgroup=SC_Health%2BBeauty&LID=700000001170770pgs&network=g&device=c&location=9053228&gclsrc=aw.ds&ds_rl=1246978&ds_rl=1248099&ds_rl=1246978&ref=tgt_adv_XS000000&AFID=google_pla_df&CPNG=PLA_Health+Beauty+Shopping&adgroup=SC_Health+Beauty&LID=700000001170770pgs&network=g&device=c&location=9053228&gclid=Cj0KCQiApvbhBRDXARIsALnNoK1Jx9D7hP8Q7TJ3By3v CO7RHpxBV5vX6NOan507XQ_0BhydwDjXaB0aAleHEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds).

It's lightweight and the flat shape is so much easier to use than a traditional blowdryer with diffuser. Her hair is impossibly thick and it does a good job of getting her scalp dry.

RubberDucky
January 16th, 2019, 12:04 AM
I just bought a new hairdryer with a diffuser for the same reason - I hate damp scalp. I actually rarely use a dryer (probably 5-6 times a year) but sometimes it's necessary. My old hairdryer had no attachments and only two heat settings - hot and hotter - which wasn't so good. So I got one (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Philips-BHD282-00-Hair-Dryer-Hair-Care-Cool-Shot-Professional-Salon/262714704456?epid=4012055120&hash=item3d2b044248:g:OesAAOSwA3dYJcF-) that has two speed settings, three heat settings and a nice wide diffuser with long fingers. I've only used it once so far but liked it much more than my old one.

Cate36
January 16th, 2019, 12:18 AM
A large diffuser head... many are too small.. a powerful flow that stays powerful when on the cold setting (so also one that has hot/cold settings) also a long body.. the LAST thing you want to do is get hair caught in the end of the hairdryer.. so a long body prevents that as you waft around your head. Would love to try the new Dyson for this reason.. but on that I think the diffuser head is also small so.. also expensive..

Upside Down
January 16th, 2019, 12:53 AM
A large diffuser head... many are too small.. a powerful flow that stays powerful when on the cold setting (so also one that has hot/cold settings) also a long body.. the LAST thing you want to do is get hair caught in the end of the hairdryer.. so a long body prevents that as you waft around your head. Would love to try the new Dyson for this reason.. but on that I think the diffuser head is also small so.. also expensive..

Seconding the large diffuser suggestion. I had a large one, I have no idea what brand it was, it had rubber ends of fingers and it was way better than what I have now which is I think regular. It was all I could find though.

By better I mean, less frizz and faster drying. I could somehow fold all if my hair in there and that meant less moving it around and more defined curls.

About the longer body, well, that is probably also related to lebght of hair. After bsl/waist you are likely to have haor long enough to reach the back of the dryer anyway so you just have to pay close attention.

Ylva
January 16th, 2019, 09:33 AM
This is a dumb question, but is a diffuser also beneficial for someone who does not particularly strive to increase waves or curls in their hair?

I've only seen them used by curlies, but my blowdryer has one, and I like it, thus I wonder.

lapushka
January 16th, 2019, 10:50 AM
Ylva, yes it is good if you are 2a as well, it enhances the wave a bit. Since my hair is long I don't scrunch it up end to root, I sort of help it along at various lengths... if that makes sense?

You could give it a go? Do moisturize well, otherwise you might get floof!

Rowdy
January 16th, 2019, 11:05 AM
This is a dumb question, but is a diffuser also beneficial for someone who does not particularly strive to increase waves or curls in their hair?

I've only seen them used by curlies, but my blowdryer has one, and I like it, thus I wonder.

I would say so. I get damage from blowdrying from the air stream blowing my ends around so a diffuser prevents that. I have used one while finger coming to dry my hair straight, too.

Ylva
January 16th, 2019, 01:07 PM
Thanks for your replies.

Is there any point in using a diffuser if you're not going to have your hair "pushed against your head" for curl/wave definition in any way while blowdrying it? As in it's just hanging loose like normal?

nycelle
January 16th, 2019, 01:22 PM
Thanks for your replies.

Is there any point in using a diffuser if you're not going to have your hair "pushed against your head" for curl/wave definition in any way while blowdrying it? As in it's just hanging loose like normal?

You're doing less mechanical damage to the hair. . With a diffuser, the airflow is diffused through all the holes so the air pressure is very light and your hair isn't being whipped around your head. But, at the same time, just holding it over head won't dry it, or at least it would take a very long time, and having the diffuser cup it (like curlies do) can create frizz on straight hair I think..

@Rowdy how did you blow your hair with a diffuser?

Cate36
January 16th, 2019, 02:37 PM

IMO they protect the hair from tangling by dispersing the heat/air (not so much direct heat also) and also assisting with drying it if long.. as the air is hitting all your hair without shooting at a certain spot allowing fine hair to blow all over the place

Rowdy
January 16th, 2019, 04:09 PM
You're doing less mechanical damage to the hair. . With a diffuser, the airflow is diffused through all the holes so the air pressure is very light and your hair isn't being whipped around your head. But, at the same time, just holding it over head won't dry it, or at least it would take a very long time, and having the diffuser cup it (like curlies do) can create frizz on straight hair I think..

@Rowdy how did you blow your hair with a diffuser?

Pretty much like a normal dryer, just moving it slower. I use my fingers as the 'brush' and aim the air on them while moving down towards the ends. I do the same thing with a diffuser just with bigger sections and moving slower. If yours has long enough 'fingers' on it they can be used like a wide tooth comb as you move down the hair. I guess the main difference with using it for straight results is I aim it down the hair, not facing upwards like you do with cupping the curls to the scalp.

I hope that wasn't too confusing...

Ylva
January 16th, 2019, 04:11 PM
Thank you nycelle and Cate!