PDA

View Full Version : Important question from husband

Strands
November 19th, 2018, 07:31 PM
My husband is going to grow his beard as long as possible, and currently uses beard balm in a solid puck to moisturize.

The problem is that these pucks only come in small quantities, and he wants a beard balm in a large quantity, like a 16oz container, or something that will just last him a VERY. LONG. TIME.

Anyone know of such a thing or where he might find it?

Better yet, anyone know why these are so hard to find?

Thanks from my husband! :)

lithostoic
November 19th, 2018, 07:33 PM
Look on Etsy! You could always ask the seller

Strands
November 19th, 2018, 07:37 PM
Look on Etsy! You could always ask the seller

That is a good idea. Meanwhile I would love a straight up way to just GET the 16oz ISH size. Might have to contact a seller. Good thinking.

SwanFeathers
November 19th, 2018, 07:51 PM
There are actually alot of DIY recipes for the gentlemen if your game to try blending it. i would check his current balm's ingredients and see if there is a formula that is close.

Strands
November 19th, 2018, 07:55 PM
There are actually alot of DIY recipes for the gentlemen if your game to try blending it. i would check his current balm's ingredients and see if there is a formula that is close.

He doesn't want to do that, he wants to just PURCHASE. Seems like there is no answer to the question at hand sadly. :/

SwanFeathers
November 19th, 2018, 08:03 PM
He doesn't want to do that, he wants to just PURCHASE. Seems like there is no answer to the question at hand sadly. :/
Not sure how I caused offense, I didnt know making it was that was a problem for you. But as others have said, there are people out there who do offer products pre-made. I only made the suggestion because you said you wanted a large quantity.

Obsidian
November 19th, 2018, 08:21 PM
They come in smaller quantities due to the price, most people aren't going to spend the $ for a pound of product all at once.

Rancidity is also a reason. Many oils used in these blends can have a short shelf life and should be used within 6 months to a year. I'd hate to spend $100+ just to have the balm go rancid before it could get used up.

Julescarm
November 19th, 2018, 11:22 PM
My husband buys his beard stuff from Sallys beauty supply. Walmart also has a beard section by razors. If you have a sallys membership it is well worth it.

Simsy
November 20th, 2018, 12:32 AM
Try googling wholesalers: they will have commercial size containers.

cjk
November 20th, 2018, 12:52 AM
Try the Roughneck Beard company. Brad is very accommodating.

What beard balm does he use now? Heck, I may know the guys who make it, if it's a small batch company.

Alissalocks
November 20th, 2018, 08:20 AM
My husband tried my sweet almond oil and prefers it over the pucks and over the lighter oils (of mine, like Nightblooming blends) to soften the hairs and reduce overall tangles.

...I realize that's not an answer to your exact question, but perhaps alternatives to try while he's growing growing growing. My husband and I tried "racing" each other to see who could grow the most in 6 months, I won. But it's fun to grow hair with your partner, no matter where it sprouts from. :laugh:

blackgothicdoll
November 20th, 2018, 10:11 AM
My husband tried my sweet almond oil and prefers it over the pucks and over the lighter oils (of mine, like Nightblooming blends) to soften the hairs and reduce overall tangles.

...I realize that's not an answer to your exact question, but perhaps alternatives to try while he's growing growing growing. My husband and I tried "racing" each other to see who could grow the most in 6 months, I won. But it's fun to grow hair with your partner, no matter where it sprouts from. :laugh:

I wouldn't fully agree with this. :o:o

Corvana
November 20th, 2018, 02:14 PM
The one difference between most beard balms and most oil blends is that beard balms tend to have waxes in them, as they're used for styling.

I think the easiest way to get more product is to just... buy more. But like 5 or 6 tins of it at once. Then if you really want to, you can gently heat them and combine them in one container. Or don't, and then just have more on hand that may or may not go bad before you get to it.

Chances are that will cost the same as buying a larger container from a seller who would offer it anyway. Most likely won't or don't because it's not a product size with a high enough demand to require having on hand like the smaller sizes are, so the costs of having the materials for it (the containers big enough, I mean) and the space to store it, may be higher than the profit they'd make by selling those sizes.

lapushka
November 20th, 2018, 04:39 PM
Yep, I would be worried it might go bad before its time as well. I think 16 oz is a lot, you need a long beard to go through that in a month.

cjk
November 20th, 2018, 04:54 PM
Yep, I would be worried it might go bad before its time as well. I think 16 oz is a lot, you need a long beard to go through that in a month.

I can vouch for that, first hand. If you're using it right, you really don't use very much.

Corvana
November 21st, 2018, 01:41 AM

I think the point is to have it last much longer than a month.

lapushka
November 21st, 2018, 10:16 AM
I think the point is to have it last much longer than a month.

Yes... but will it? I'm not sure with these beard waxes. If anyone would care to offer some insight on the durability of such stuff, then... by all means. :) :flower:

cjk
November 21st, 2018, 03:29 PM
Just as with hair, different beards respond differently to different products, some will use huge amounts and others a minimal amount. We saw that in another thread, asking how much oil to use in one's hair. Same thing.

I've been heavily bearded for five years.

Those little pucks, as y'all are calling them, are usually enough for 3-6 months for me. But it does depend on porosity and absorbency, as well. Plus I don't go for the wet look, but if I did I'd be using the oils instead. Batter is a light hold, and balm is a firmer hold, but both are typically used to provide benefits *including* control.

Here's a photo of a few I keep around. Obviously I like Roughneck products. But seriously, earlier I asked about the products he currently uses...I know many in the bearding circuit and might know the maker, personally.

https://imgur.com/a/M2tQbTZ

In the background you'll also notice a Softee product that I included for scale, since they're not marked in ounces.

Bearding is very serious business.

lapushka
November 21st, 2018, 03:36 PM
I think they also do (somewhere) a subscription service for shaving & beard products! Don't know the name, but it's out there, I know that much. Might be worth checking out.

Ylva
November 21st, 2018, 03:40 PM
I think they also do (somewhere) a subscription service for shaving & beard products! Don't know the name, but it's out there, I know that much. Might be worth checking out.

I know of the Dollar Shave Club at least, it was the first that popped up in my mind, but I'm sure there are more out there.

lapushka
November 21st, 2018, 03:49 PM
I know of the Dollar Shave Club at least, it was the first that popped up in my mind, but I'm sure there are more out there.

Yes! I think that's the one I'm thinking of!!!