PDA

View Full Version : Young and Gray?

Suzannahforever
November 19th, 2018, 03:25 PM
Hi everyone!
First time poster here.
I am 29 years old and rapidly going gray! Any other premature grayers out there?
One month ago I went back to my natural color after a no-heat summer and nine months of no bleach. I went from blow drying straight my 2b/c curls to letting it air dry and gained four inches in six months!
Now my goal is waist length hair with six inches of salt and pepper roots for my September 19 wedding.
Currently building a sweet hair length timeline :D

blackgothicdoll
November 19th, 2018, 03:47 PM
I got my first white hair a few weeks before my 25th birthday. I'm 26, and have a few more. I wouldn't say I'm rapidly greying, but my 'grays' are snow white, so they are very hard to miss.

I'm growing out dye, still on the fence of coloring again, (including henna because it turns my white hairs bright orange), but I will probably just let the hairs keep coming. I really want to look like Storm lol.

Dark40
November 19th, 2018, 04:16 PM
I've got my first gray hair when I was 18 and I'm now 47. The people on my father's side of the family gray early. I've been coloring my hair ever since but now I've been growing out the dye. But for Christmas I'm planning on dyeing again. I have a lot of my natural hair color growing out but come 2 weeks before Christmas I'm planning on coloring my hair red.

Capybara
November 19th, 2018, 06:07 PM
I found my first gray at 24. It only bothered me when my sister tried to pluck them out without my consent. I’m hoping to embrace my hair if I go entirely gray/white.

There used to be a thread about gray hair, I wonder if it’s still active!

SallySue
November 19th, 2018, 06:25 PM
It's very normal to start seeing grays in your 20s. I just want to applaud you for embracing them early :D I'm planning on doing the same thing and thus avoid a much harsher transition later on.

Kat
November 19th, 2018, 07:15 PM
I found my first gray when I was 29. My mom called me a late bloomer, as she found her first at 21. A friend in college had silver strands interspersed here and there through her dark brown... very pretty, looked like she had tinsel in her hair!

And then there's the guy I'm seeing, who's 46 and I'm just now starting to see a couple in his sideburns and that's it (but he would probably tell you it's because he's Asian).

PixieNixie
November 19th, 2018, 10:16 PM
I actually found two gray hairs at 16! :/

Borgessa
November 19th, 2018, 10:51 PM
I went to primary school (about 8 yrs old) with a girl who had jet black curly hair, in amoungst all her curls were strands of gray, evenly distributed through her hair, it made for a very lovely interesting head of hair. Only other person I seen with hair like that, was her sister.

Joules
November 20th, 2018, 12:02 AM
I found my first gray at 20. Plucked it out, it never grew back, which made me think it was an accidental one. Since then I've been finding more and more grays peeking through, not nearly enough to be visible for others, but very visible for me. I'm wondering whether there are any real options to reverse it without dye. I'm not against gray hair, but not at 24! At least when I'm 40! My maternal grandma rocked her natural hair color till she turned 60, but for some reason I had to inherit my dad's hair genes, he was already obviously graying when he was just 30 :(

Sarahlabyrinth
November 20th, 2018, 01:07 AM
I found my first grey hair when I was 21. My father began greying at age 16. My hair is now quite silver now that I am fifty three and I'm growing out the dye.

https://i.imgur.com/3IzBea4.jpg

iforgotmylogin
November 20th, 2018, 02:47 AM
I started going grey young

I have nothing to add really, I just wanted to point out that your wedding is on Talk Like A Pirate Day

ravenskey
November 20th, 2018, 09:41 AM
I'm 17 and already have a few white hairs - not many and not noticeable at all but they're there. I kind of like them TBH.

JuniperTree
November 20th, 2018, 09:44 AM
I found my first grey hair when I was 14 but I haven't found many since. I'm looking fowards to going completely grey!

PixieNixie
November 20th, 2018, 09:51 AM
I am looking forward to grey because I can rock pastel colored hair with no bleach lol

2gaits
November 20th, 2018, 10:12 AM
All I have to contribute is I think natural hair with gray is much better looking than over processed dyed frizzy hair. I do think you will have to figure out how to care for your silver to make it look its best.

cathair
November 20th, 2018, 10:59 AM
Don't believe the hype, it's pretty normal to have some grey hair at 29. Welcome to the club :)

MusicalSpoons
November 20th, 2018, 11:44 AM
Welcome to the forum! Here you'll find appreciation of all types and colours of hair, and lots of encouragement for reaching your goal of keeping away from the dye :flower:

I'm not a premature greyer but in a way I'm quite looking forward to finding out how mine changes; part of me hopes that as I'm blonde it might just go silver or white.

And then there's the guy I'm seeing, who's 46 and I'm just now starting to see a couple in his sideburns and that's it (but he would probably tell you it's because he's Asian).
Two of my friends are Indian and greying noticeably in their 30s (one's 33, the other 36 - not related to each other). The 33yo's younger brother (30/31, not sure) is still raven-haired, but thinning on top - 33yo still has a full head of thick hair. Genes are indeed a strange thing :grin:

Alibran
November 20th, 2018, 03:14 PM
I found my first greys in my early 20s, but it was always just a few until my mid 30s, when they started coming faster. I've been dying on and off since my teens and would be close to 100% grey now, at 45, if it wasn't dyed. I have no intention of going grey gracefully, and I'm planning to switch to henna in the next few weeks because the upkeep on the chemical dye is becoming too much. (Dark brown hair with nearly white roots is very noticeable.)

My brother started going grey in his teens, and was 100% grey by the time he was 30. My mother was the same.

GrowlingCupcake
November 20th, 2018, 03:31 PM
By late teens, I had found some grey in my hair. I don't remember exactly when I found my first, though. I was quite happy about it, since I've wanted to go grey so I can dye my hair fun colours without bleach xD However, I'm now in my early thirties, and while I certainly have more grey hair, I definitely do not have a significant amount of grey hair. Definitely less than 30 strands.

My sister went grey around her teens, as well. She started with a lot more strands than I did, and had more strands than I do now by her twenties. However, she didn't really keep up that rate of going grey, and now in her late thirties, has about the same number of strands as her twenties.

My spouse went grey at like eight. He had a significant white streak, and some scattered greys in his black hair. Now, in his mid thirties, his streak has become wider, and there are more scattered greys, but he still has more black hair than grey hair.

Julescarm
November 20th, 2018, 03:49 PM
I had one at aged 2 and one about two years ago. Havnt noticed any since. Considering I have a toddler, near 11 year old and a baby joining the house I'm surprised I don't have more. My dad had a beautiful patch of grey then white on his bangs.

forestwizard
November 25th, 2018, 11:01 PM
I'm 24 and have recently noticed my first white hairs. I'm not surprised, since I have my father's hair genes; he started going gray in his late-twenties/early thirties and has steadily turned more salt then pepper. I'm actually excited! I hope I get a white streak like he has; I think a white streak in black hair is so attractive.

On a side note, I first noticed white hairs in my beard, then learned I had a single white hair in BOTH eyebrows, and a couple weeks later saw the couple white strands in my hairline. At each point (beard, eyebrows, hair) I actually pulled out the first hair I saw because I wasn't sure if it was white, or just a trick of the light. So far, they're all too sparse and spread out to really see, but I'll be keeping an eye out now.

MoonChildCurls
November 26th, 2018, 12:49 AM
I found my first gray around 25/26. Now at 30 I have around eight of them. My mom and grandma went gray really young so we'll see. A few of the girls I work with are under 23 and have a ton of grays so it doesn't seem like it's too uncommon.

Pouncequick
December 1st, 2018, 10:26 AM
Shortly after my 24th birthday I found an entire section had gone grey near my part. I'm nearing my 25th and haven't seen any others so I'm trying not to panic and just embrace it. Most of my hair is kind of a warm light brown/dark blonde colour so it stands out and looks cool in French braids.

Lady Stardust
December 1st, 2018, 11:14 AM
Shortly after my 24th birthday I found an entire section had gone grey near my part. I'm nearing my 25th and haven't seen any others so I'm trying not to panic and just embrace it. Most of my hair is kind of a warm light brown/dark blonde colour so it stands out and looks cool in French braids.

That sounds very cool :)

Starchild494
December 4th, 2018, 10:58 AM
I remember my mom brushing my hair and finding silver hairs at the back by the crown...I was really young 6or 8. And I have been twinkling ever since. I get so many comments on my silver hair than I do the length. It seems to be only the older people... Like my mom and father in law whom remark that I should dye it.... No way! I love my silver hair. I have been slowly going silver for 30 yrs now... Why change for others?

lemonlollies
December 6th, 2018, 04:40 PM
I remember finding the odd grey in my late teens and early 20s, and at the age of 25 I suddenly realised I had loads (more than I could count!) it was horrifying at the time and the worst part is that they’re incredibly resistant to hair dye. I’m now 32 and have a white streak on my right temple, and have finally found a hair dye brand that covers them. I get my hair balayaged twice a year and do my roots the rest of the time myself. I’m envious of people my age with little to no greys, I’d love to ditch the dye but I can’t see myself embracing the grey just yet ☹️ I love the silver look, but mine just looks unkempt when it isn’t dyed because the greys are so patchy, and because my hairs so dark they really show up!

lemonlollies
December 6th, 2018, 04:45 PM
I remember my mom brushing my hair and finding silver hairs at the back by the crown...I was really young 6or 8. And I have been twinkling ever since. I get so many comments on my silver hair than I do the length. It seems to be only the older people... Like my mom and father in law whom remark that I should dye it.... No way! I love my silver hair. I have been slowly going silver for 30 yrs now... Why change for others?

‘Twinkling’ I love that description! I would really like to embrace my silver hairs but I’m not quite there yet unfortunately ☹️

lapushka
December 6th, 2018, 04:48 PM
I really admire Melanie, from the YT channel "MrKongsMom". She is around 40 (39 I think), and has gone gray in her 20s. For a long time she dyed it blonde, but the last few years she has gone totally naturally gray and it looks *so* good on her!