PDA

View Full Version : Going heatless - help

2gaits
November 19th, 2018, 11:38 AM
I'm trying to minimize the use of heat and already blow dry on cooler temp and try to only flat iron where it really needs it but I would like to try and stop using heat even more. My hair has reached APL and is color treated. I'm thinking of giving up the stylist and highlights/color. Not sure I can handle the line of demarcation. Anyway, giving up heat. I need some ideas of what to do to accomplish this. I usually wash my hair in the morning every other day. I blow dry since I can't leave for work with wet hair. Temple area gets a bit greasy on day 2. What works for those of you that can't run around with a wet head and what are some styling ideas that require no heat? Headbands don't stay in place on me by the way so those would be out.

sophia_
November 19th, 2018, 03:50 PM
Hello! I personally shower at night so my hair dries mostly overnight. If you're at APL, you can probably do some buns exemplified on some of the forum pages, or you can at least do half-ups- I have slippery hair but claw clips work very well at holding buns. If you have to wear your hair down, you could try heatless styling methods or just forego heat completely- what is your hair texture? If it is very curly, transition could be aided with protein treatments (be very careful with these).

HaMalka
November 19th, 2018, 04:27 PM
You might want to try spot washing your greasy areas instead of washing all your hair every other day. It would probably be quicker to dry if just your temples got wet. Buns and braids often don't require heat. You could look through the hairstyle thesaurus and see if anything catches your eye. I have no specific recommendations for hair your length however sectioned buns can be easier to do on shorter hair.

kitcatsmeow
November 19th, 2018, 04:54 PM
I also wash at night and wrap my hair to dry and straighten it. . If you don’t need to straighten it maybe try washing at night so it can dry. I use a microfiber towel that works really well.
Damp buns are a good idea as well and some of them could give you really beautiful waves or curls once dried!

lapushka
November 19th, 2018, 04:57 PM
I'm trying to minimize the use of heat and already blow dry on cooler temp and try to only flat iron where it really needs it but I would like to try and stop using heat even more. My hair has reached APL and is color treated. I'm thinking of giving up the stylist and highlights/color. Not sure I can handle the line of demarcation. Anyway, giving up heat. I need some ideas of what to do to accomplish this. I usually wash my hair in the morning every other day. I blow dry since I can't leave for work with wet hair. Temple area gets a bit greasy on day 2. What works for those of you that can't run around with a wet head and what are some styling ideas that require no heat? Headbands don't stay in place on me by the way so those would be out.

A blowdryer on cool/warm = no problem. You don't need to fully cut it out. Just the hot tools, they are problematic.