PDA

View Full Version : Dermarolling scalp experiment

kitcatsmeow
November 17th, 2018, 03:01 PM
I’ve been losing hair by the handfuls for a couple weeks now. I haven’t pinpointed exactly the cause but it’s one of three things or a combo.

1) crohns flare hairloss
2) humira. Same thing happened when i started remicade and it’s also a tend inhibitor
3) traction alopecia. I’ve been wearing my hair in a tight topknot for months. I do let it loose under a satin cap at night so I’m not convinced this is it but it’s probably a good idea to stop this style since my hair is coming out so easily.

To try and combat this and encourage new growth, I’m wearing loose styles, taking a hair supplement and dermarolling my scalp as well as using a scalp tonic. I have a .25 and .5mm roller, both for my scalp only. I plan on rolling only on wash days and using the tonic daily or every other day. It’s not oily and actually feels like it cleans my scalp and prevents build up. Yesterday was my first time pulling my scalp although I’ve been doing my face for months so I’m not new to derma rollers. I’ll and some links below if anyone is interested or if anyone wants to join me.
Currently my hair is past my hips but I think I’ve lost about 1/2 my thickness so I’ll meed at least a couple inches cut and I will cut as needed. Hopefully I can retain one of my length.

I’ll be using basically this method. Also good tips for hygiene and care.
https://youtu.be/sUd6DUV9AnI

I’ll be using this product on my scalp
Shea Moisture Bamboo Extract & Maca Root Resilient Growth Stimulator Treatment for Unisex, 4 Ounce https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075K45KXT/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_76i8Bb6DKKXTN

the dermarollers I got from Marshalls

The supplement (on my second bottle)
HAIRFLAIR - Hair Growth Vitamins...
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BN7P5SY?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf

lapushka
November 17th, 2018, 03:18 PM
I think someone else started a thread on dermarolling for hair loss a while ago.

Oops, that was you as well:
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=147777

LOL!

I hope it goes well, and that you get results.

I would definitely not stop wearing a bun, but tightly done? Nope.

cjk
November 17th, 2018, 06:40 PM
I can't wait to hear what happens. How long before the results of derma rolling become apparent?

kitcatsmeow
November 17th, 2018, 09:44 PM
I can't wait to hear what happens. How long before the results of derma rolling become apparent?

I’ve read as little as two weeks to see less hair loss and even some new growth but I’m sure other factors come into play. Probably a good month or two to know if it’s really working.

kitcatsmeow
November 17th, 2018, 09:45 PM
I think someone else started a thread on dermarolling for hair loss a while ago.

Oops, that was you as well:
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=147777

LOL!

I hope it goes well, and that you get results.

I would definitely not stop wearing a bun, but tightly done? Nope.

Definitely no more right buns! It may be coincidence but I’ve noticed less hair fall today.

Cymiri
November 18th, 2018, 12:10 PM
Clean your rollers well after every use . Swish through warm/hot [not boiling, will damage the needles] without knocking the needles against the tub. This removes protein and blood, but does not address sterilizing. Rinse well, then soak in an alcohol based [at least 40%] disinfectant for 10 minutes or so. Be sure to always store your rollers so that the needles don't get damaged. Replace roughly every 6 months [for personal use rollers] or if you notice bent needles/feel tearing. Good luck!

Cymiri
November 18th, 2018, 12:11 PM
PS: the company 'OWN DOC' have a free pdf called 'dermarolling instructions' freely available on the net. There is some product placement of their own products, but it's a ton of good, experience backed, info on dermarolling and the various uses. I highly suggest you grab it.

priinnz
November 18th, 2018, 12:43 PM
Am I the only one who dislikes derma roller on my scalp? The sensation is great but I feel the tiny needles pull on my hair and may increase breakage split ends on existing hair.

PS: I have fine hair

kitcatsmeow
November 18th, 2018, 12:55 PM
Clean your rollers well after every use . Swish through warm/hot [not boiling, will damage the needles] without knocking the needles against the tub. This removes protein and blood, but does not address sterilizing. Rinse well, then soak in an alcohol based [at least 40%] disinfectant for 10 minutes or so. Be sure to always store your rollers so that the needles don't get damaged. Replace roughly every 6 months [for personal use rollers] or if you notice bent needles/feel tearing. Good luck!

Thanks I’m very aware of the cleaning and hygiene of of rollers. I’ve talked to some professionals directly :)

kitcatsmeow
November 19th, 2018, 02:36 PM
Hair fall is getting less! I got 1/2” trimmed today and it feels better. Planning on keeping it this length as long as I don’t lose any more thickness and just trim until it thickens back up. I’m adding some Weleda rosemary hair oil the night or day before washing.

https://i.imgur.com/O8Bbkvw_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

kitcatsmeow
November 28th, 2018, 07:56 PM
I’m fairly certain I found the cause of my shedding. A conditioner I had been using Paul Mitchell Awapuhi and ginger intensive keratin treatment. After researching, some of the preservatives have been known to cause irritation, itching and rash and...hair loss! My thread about it is http://https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=148315 (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=148315) here if you’re interested.

Anyway, I just washed my hair after tossing the PM conditioner and hopefully getting rid of any trace. No rolling this week to give my scalp a break and chance to recover. Hopefully the shed will stop soon and I’ll reaume the rolling to encourage new growth.

maborosi
November 28th, 2018, 11:28 PM
Man it sounds like you have a lot going on, health-wise. But I gotta say, your hair is gorgeous- it looks really healthy and shiny and soft!

Quick question- have you tried caffiene rinses for hair loss?
There is a thread on here, but apparently it's (somewhat) backed up and is often found in anti-shedding products.
There is some speculation that it might help with hair growth, as well.

kitcatsmeow
November 29th, 2018, 05:44 AM
Man it sounds like you have a lot going on, health-wise. But I gotta say, your hair is gorgeous- it looks really healthy and shiny and soft!

There is a thread on here, but apparently it's (somewhat) backed up and is often found in anti-shedding products.

No I haven’t! Thank you though definitely going to give that a search and maybe add it to my routine. I don’t want to throw anything new in the mix for at least a week justvso I can verify that it was the conditioner causing the loss. After (hopefully) that stops my goal will be maintaining so any new growth can catch up. That’s gonna take years :(

maborosi
November 29th, 2018, 07:43 AM
No I haven’t! Thank you though definitely going to give that a search and maybe add it to my routine. I don’t want to throw anything new in the mix for at least a week justvso I can verify that it was the conditioner causing the loss. After (hopefully) that stops my goal will be maintaining so any new growth can catch up. That’s gonna take years :(

Yeah, but honestly, it's not so bad, even if it does take a while for the hair to catch up to the rest of your length, it'll be nice to get new growth regardless :)

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread- I'm curious about dermarolling and various applications of it!
Definitely keep us posted on how your experimenting goes!

kitcatsmeow
November 29th, 2018, 07:48 AM
Yeah, but honestly, it's not so bad, even if it does take a while for the hair to catch up to the rest of your length, it'll be nice to get new growth regardless :)

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread- I'm curious about dermarolling and various applications of it!
Definitely keep us posted on how your experimenting goes!

I definitely will. You have beautiful hair, I love your color!

kitcatsmeow
November 29th, 2018, 10:40 AM
This shows what a significant amount of hair I have lost just in a couple weeks . If it stops now I think I can salvage the length and just maintain while growing back thickness but if it gets much thinner I may have to cut back to waist :(

https://i.imgur.com/9fZGMHb_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

maborosi
December 1st, 2018, 10:54 AM
Thank you! Hang in there! :)
How is dermarolling going? Do you ever find that the roller gets caught in the hair?

How often are you rolling?

kitcatsmeow
December 1st, 2018, 12:49 PM
Thank you! Hang in there! :)
How is dermarolling going? Do you ever find that the roller gets caught in the hair?

How often are you rolling?

Going well. I’m only rolling every day ash which for me is 1-2x a week. I skipped it this week since suspect a conditioner I was using was causing the loss (as well as itchy spots on my ears and face) so I wanted to detox and let it settle. I haven’t had a single hair get caught. I kind of hold the section that I’m rolling as best I can and roll where it’s parted. I posted the video that shows the basic technique I’m using in my op if you’re interested.

kitcatsmeow
December 3rd, 2018, 02:52 PM
Lot less hair fall in the shower and post wash today! Used the .5mm roller and I feel like this worked much better. I’m not sure if I’m comfortable using the .5mm every wash so I might alternate with the .25mm.

lapushka
December 3rd, 2018, 03:27 PM

This year I bought a shampoo (Schwarzkopf) with caffeine in it. I can't wait to try it (using more stuff up first ;)).

RoseChantel
December 3rd, 2018, 03:29 PM
Weleda Rosemary Hair Oil is one of my favorites! It helped my hair quite a bit when I was trying to regain some thickness this last year. I'm glad to see that you are starting to see some good results.

maborosi
December 3rd, 2018, 04:07 PM
This year I bought a shampoo (Schwarzkopf) with caffeine in it. I can't wait to try it (using more stuff up first ;)).

I've begun diluting my shampoo with green tea instead of water in hopes that I can reap some benefits from caffiene. I've also begun filling a spray bottle with a blend of green tea + other herbs for my scalp to be used post-shampoo.
My scalp has made it abundantly clear to me that shampooing is the only thing that's going to keep scalp acne at bay for me. I can stretch washes, but can't co-wash anymore. :(
Very interestingly, though, henna/cassia allow me to stretch my washes even more than a clarifying shampoo. That to me is crazy!

More on-topic, I've been thinking of maybe picking up this serum (http://www.gardenofwisdom.com/catalog/item/7488715/10373999.htm)from GOW and giving dermarolling a try- or maybe dermastamping. That serum looks to have some pretty nice ingredients in it, so it could be worth a shot for me!

kitcatsmeow
December 3rd, 2018, 07:31 PM
I've begun diluting my shampoo with green tea instead of water in hopes that I can reap some benefits from caffiene. I've also begun filling a spray bottle with a blend of green tea + other herbs for my scalp to be used post-shampoo.
My scalp has made it abundantly clear to me that shampooing is the only thing that's going to keep scalp acne at bay for me. I can stretch washes, but can't co-wash anymore. :(
Very interestingly, though, henna/cassia allow me to stretch my washes even more than a clarifying shampoo. That to me is crazy!

More on-topic, I've been thinking of maybe picking up this serum (http://www.gardenofwisdom.com/catalog/item/7488715/10373999.htm)from GOW and giving dermarolling a try- or maybe dermastamping. That serum looks to have some pretty nice ingredients in it, so it could be worth a shot for me!

Looks like a good serum! If you try it, let me know why the consistency is like. The serum I’m iainf now is basically like water. Between that and the red clover that prevents build up, I can use it daily and not only does it not make my hair oily, it actually keeps it feeling fresh and clean.

maborosi
December 8th, 2018, 01:01 AM
Looks like a good serum! If you try it, let me know why the consistency is like. The serum I’m iainf now is basically like water. Between that and the red clover that prevents build up, I can use it daily and not only does it not make my hair oily, it actually keeps it feeling fresh and clean.

Will do for sure! I'll hopefully be receiving it in the next few days. :)

aethyra
December 11th, 2018, 09:43 AM
Hello Kitty Cat: i am checking in to this thread to see how your dermaroller experiment is progressing. Are you seeing new growth as of this time?

kitcatsmeow
December 11th, 2018, 02:09 PM
Hello Kitty Cat: i am checking in to this thread to see how your dermaroller experiment is progressing. Are you seeing new growth as of this time?

Hi! It’s going well. I do think i see some mewnlittle baby hairs around my hair line so that’s very encouraging. My shed is finally over so now we will see if I can thicken it back up.

aethyra
December 11th, 2018, 05:55 PM
Hi! It’s going well. I do think i see some mewnlittle baby hairs around my hair line so that’s very encouraging. My shed is finally over so now we will see if I can thicken it back up.

Very happy to hear !! :cheer:

kitcatsmeow
December 13th, 2018, 03:30 PM
So I decided to stop coloring my hair. I figured now would be a good time since I’m doing regular trims. I have a streak of grey coming in at me left temple and around my hairline which I actually rather white like. What bothers me though is the reddish color that my hair fades to and is now which is why I end up in the hair color cycle. So I bought a color mask in graphite that is supposed to negate red and add cool tones. We shall see as it arrives tomorrow and I plan to wash and use my .5mm roller.

It’s been months since I’ve colored but I don’t actually remember how long.

https://i.imgur.com/HWft2I4_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium
https://i.imgur.com/3Af71Fk_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

aethyra
December 13th, 2018, 07:10 PM
Wow! You are gorgeous! Let us know about this color mask. Sounds interesting.

kitcatsmeow
December 13th, 2018, 07:53 PM
aethyra I definitely will, I’m excited to try it! And thank you so much.

kitcatsmeow
December 30th, 2018, 09:05 PM
Just wanted to keep this thread updated.
I’m still rolling every wash which is about once a week. My hair is growing very fast. Seems faster than normal especially for winter. I’m continuing with everything except the welada oil since it seems my hair sheds more when I use it.

Xxanderia
January 6th, 2019, 12:10 PM
any more updates? :)
I have a dermaroller which I use for skincare once every two weeks. I just found the Shea Moisture root spray at tjmaxx yesterday, and was thinking of trying this. Do you use the spray before rolling or after?

priinnz
February 24th, 2019, 07:28 PM
Just wanted to keep this thread updated.
I’m still rolling every wash which is about once a week. My hair is growing very fast. Seems faster than normal especially for winter. I’m continuing with everything except the welada oil since it seems my hair sheds more when I use it.

Hi kitcatsmeow, just checking in here again to ask if your hairfall has stopped now?

Xxanderia
May 25th, 2019, 01:05 PM
Checking in. Any more progress? DH and I just moved to a new place, and I'm able/trying to be more active on this forum again. Would love to know if this is something worth trying!

Lions-mane
July 13th, 2019, 02:28 AM
I have a derma roller, I might give this a try. My hair is pretty thick but its been shedding lately. It seems like you have seen some results with this method, thanks for sharing your progress.

tuulie
May 8th, 2020, 05:40 AM
I'm resurrecting this thread. I've just used my dermaroller for the first time, hoping it'll help with my thin spots.

I was actually going to do it every three weeks, not sure what frequency would be best. Maybe once a week to start wouldn't be too bad. I'm just trying to find a schedule that won't be too exhausting, I have so little time with two little kids.

tuulie
May 18th, 2020, 02:47 AM
I rolled again today but did just a bit over half a head when I noticed I was shedding a lot of baby hairs and stopped. The roller has not been getting stuck in anything and I wonder if I've been doing this with too much force.

I have noticed increased shedding recently and I think the culprit might be that I've gone from co-washing around once a week to sulfate shampoo (with ketoconazole) every three days.

I do have new growth since I started focusing on treating my thinning hair maybe a month ago, but I'm using so many different things that it's hard to say what has and what has not been working. I've been holding off from using minoxidil so far, though.

tuulie
June 15th, 2020, 05:50 AM
I dermarolled again last week and this time did my face as well. It's definitely more intense on your face. For my hair, I've now just been doing my problem areas, which are my edges and hair line. I also started using 5% minoxidil once a day in the problem areas about a month ago and I'm definitely seeing a difference. Lots of new growth. Also my eyebrows which have always been thin but which I was over plucking as a teen have also started filling in.