PDA

View Full Version : 'The secret to healthy hair' (yet another 'yikes, straighteners!' thread)

Stevy
November 4th, 2008, 12:49 AM
When I was in the shopping centre yesterday I saw that they had a new free-standing stall in the centre, selling straightening irons. The poster on the stall said 'The secret to healthy hair'.

Their definition of 'healthy' must be a lot different from ours! ;)

Fortunately the woman on the stall didn't bother me, I think because I was wearing a velvet snood to keep the cold out and she thought I was covering for religious reasons. I noticed that she didn't bother the Muslim ladies in the mall either, though she was trying to attract the attention of other people as they walked by.

Laila23
November 4th, 2008, 05:35 AM
I understand what you are saying. I was googling around for some "secrets to healthy hair" and got all types of crazy stuff...

mellie
November 4th, 2008, 05:38 AM
Wow! What could possibly be considered healthy about straighteners?

NightDaemon
November 4th, 2008, 05:40 AM
Wow! What could possibly be considered healthy about straighteners?
Well, conformity is good, and good must be healthy. Note the irony that sheep are curly and natural, but sheeple are straightened and bleached.

aries
November 4th, 2008, 05:42 AM
These places make me so made. My daughter got taken in and spent $100 on one of those darn things. She knows how I feel about straighteners, she has 3b or 3c f iii hair, and the lady basically forced her to buy the crappy thing. My daughter is 14 and by the time I found out she had gotten it and didn't really want it, we were already home. She is learning to shop the malls with her older brother who tried to tell her not to buy it but she felt forced, we know how some sales people can get. I was so upset that the next time we went to the mall I tried to track the person down but they weren't there so I talked to the person that was there and let them have it over pressure selling to teens when they have been told that they really didn't want it. They had no remorse over it of course and I know they will continue and in the mean time my daughter fries her hair everyonce in a while so she can have it straight.

mellie
November 4th, 2008, 06:35 AM
Note the irony that sheep are curly and natural, but sheeple are straightened and bleached.

Haha, that's pretty funny! :-)

Curlsgirl
November 4th, 2008, 06:56 AM
I hate that. Maybe a good opportunity to teach your 14 year old to be wise about soliciting and what to do when approached. Too bad there aren't laws about that kind of thing. It's not just the straightener people that irritate me but ALL of those people who approach you in the mall. I go there for a nice relaxing walk or shopping trip and I don't like to be bugged. I just politely say, "not interested" and go on but it still irritates me. Course I even get irrated when I am in a store and they feel led to tell me the specials going on like I can't read the 8 ft. by 10 ft. sign at the door. I know it's their job but well I'm just like that. If I want help I'll ask!!!

mommy101405
November 4th, 2008, 07:12 AM
I hate high pressure sales. We have one here that sells some nail stuff. I don't even walk past them because they will walk up to you are start badgering you. I complained to the mall because it really makes it unpleasant to be there.

I haven't seem the one for a hair straightener. I'll have to keep my eye out. Although I have seen an infomercial for one that is supposed to be "good" for your hair because of the steam or something like that. :rolleyes:

RavennaNight
November 4th, 2008, 07:33 AM
Well, conformity is good, and good must be healthy. Note the irony that sheep are curly and natural, but sheeple are straightened and bleached.

Sheeple. I love it.

MandaMom2Three
November 4th, 2008, 07:39 AM
They had a kiosk like that at a mall we recently went to as well!! The lady took one step towards me with one of those huge fake smiles and I looked her right in the eye and said "Keep that thing away from my hair!" (she had one of the straighteners in her hand held up, I thought she was just going to come over and use it on me!)

I had to laugh at myself because that is VERY unlike me, I didn't think about it, it just came out :o. She got back to her kiosk pretty fast though :D

Sammybunny711
November 4th, 2008, 09:43 AM
Yeah, when I got my hair cut in September, the hair stylist said that it wouldn't hurt my hair...for some reason...I think that 250 F is probably likely to hurt hair...

Ohio Sky
November 4th, 2008, 09:49 AM

:rollin: I love it!! :rollin:

joyfulmom4
November 4th, 2008, 10:44 AM
I must be really out of the fashion loop b/c I had never even heard of straightening hair other than having a vague idea that some people with highly crimped, very curly hair sometimes gave their hair relaxing treatments. But I didn't realize these things were pushed on moderately curlies and even wavies. Why would one want to do that I wonder? :o Gosh, I guess this means they won't give me my fashionista badge, huh?

What on earth *is* a straightening iron and why would it cost $100? I did buy a curling iron recently and it cost a whopping $6. I thought I might use it sometime to curl the wispies around my face, but I haven't tried yet. Little did I know curling was out and straightening was in. :rolleyes:

joyfulmom4
November 4th, 2008, 10:50 AM
They had a kiosk like that at a mall we recently went to as well!! The lady took one step towards me with one of those huge fake smiles and I looked her right in the eye and said "Keep that thing away from my hair!" (she had one of the straighteners in her hand held up, I thought she was just going to come over and use it on me!)

I had to laugh at myself because that is VERY unlike me, I didn't think about it, it just came out :o. She got back to her kiosk pretty fast though :D

LOL! This reminds me of something that happened to me at the mall. It wasn't hair stuff though, it was jewelry. I was browsing a kiosk of funky imported jewelry and there were a few things I liked and had picked up to inspect. The lady immediately wanted to sell me one of them. I had earrings in my ears, but she saw that I had a second set of piercing holes further up. So she grabbed me and began to push one of the earrings into my second piercing hole. I nearly freaked out. I had not worn earrings in those holes in almost twenty years!!! Eeek! But you know, the earrings actually slipped right in with a minimum of resistance. Total surprise to me. The last time I tried to put in an earring in them, they seemed to be closed up. Wow. Thank goodness she didn't cause me to scream in pain.

I never did buy the earrings, but I guess I got my ears re-peirced for free. I've even worn earrings in them a few times since. I'm not much for piercings though, so mostly I leave them alone.

Manako
November 4th, 2008, 11:27 AM
I must be really out of the fashion loop b/c I had never even heard of straightening hair other than having a vague idea that some people with highly crimped, very curly hair sometimes gave their hair relaxing treatments. But I didn't realize these things were pushed on moderately curlies and even wavies. Why would one want to do that I wonder? :o Gosh, I guess this means they won't give me my fashionista badge, huh?

What on earth *is* a straightening iron and why would it cost $100? I did buy a curling iron recently and it cost a whopping $6. I thought I might use it sometime to curl the wispies around my face, but I haven't tried yet. Little did I know curling was out and straightening was in. :rolleyes:

Current trend is that if your hair isn't bone straight you aren't being fashionable. Most hair straighteners are about $20, the $100 are ceramic and don't get worn out. A girl I used to work with had been through 4 cheap irons before switching to the $100 model. If you have a long amount of thick hair the iron falls apart from overuse rather quick. If the straightening device can't hold up to the heat, what makes you think that its good for your hair? But I guess thats the point, most people don't care about how healthy their hair is, its an accessory.

MandaMom2Three
November 4th, 2008, 12:27 PM
she saw that I had a second set of piercing holes further up. So she grabbed me and began to push one of the earrings into my second piercing hole. I nearly freaked out.

She's lucky it wasn't me she tried that with! Due to some childhood unpleasantries, if someone unexpectedly gets close to my head, I smack them! I don't mean to, it's a knee jerk reaction. Could you just imagine?!?! :p "Oh these would look FABULOUS on yo..." SMACK "Ok, maybe not!" :D

Periwinkle
November 4th, 2008, 01:22 PM

It's two flat plates that you clamp over your hair and drag down to make it straight.

90% of the people I know straighten their hair, most of them daily, but do bear in mind that I'm 15 and therefore know a lot of teenage girls :D I don't straighten (more out of laziness than concern for damage, really), but my mum does one every couple of months or so and the aforementioned friends do most days, and from what I can gather, the cheaper end of the market just doesn't do the job, especially when it's being used daily. Most people I know use the ghd straighteners which are more expensive but apparently worth it. I wouldn't know!

There's a kiosk thing at the local shopping centre that sells curling irons. Okay, I say curling irons...they're more like poodle irons! They're VERY hot (I don't know how hot but when you see them doing it then wrap it wrong and let go almost immediately) and very thin. I've never been cornered by them, though, probably because I always wear my hair up.

carloota
November 4th, 2008, 07:16 PM
Well, conformity is good, and good must be healthy. Note the irony that sheep are curly and natural, but sheeple are straightened and bleached. LOL @ that. And quite true, I might add.

joyfulmom4
November 5th, 2008, 07:59 AM

90% of the people I know straighten their hair, most of them daily, but do bear in mind that I'm 15 and therefore know a lot of teenage girls :D .

Ah yes. Well that explains it. It's been awhile since I was on the cutting edge of fashion. I am having to get caught back up again though, as my oldest dd is now 11 and started middle school this year. Suddenly she actually cares what she wears. :p

dancingmegs
November 5th, 2008, 10:54 AM
LOL! This reminds me of something that happened to me at the mall. It wasn't hair stuff though, it was jewelry. I was browsing a kiosk of funky imported jewelry and there were a few things I liked and had picked up to inspect. The lady immediately wanted to sell me one of them. I had earrings in my ears, but she saw that I had a second set of piercing holes further up. So she grabbed me and began to push one of the earrings into my second piercing hole. I nearly freaked out. I had not worn earrings in those holes in almost twenty years!!! Eeek! But you know, the earrings actually slipped right in with a minimum of resistance. Total surprise to me. The last time I tried to put in an earring in them, they seemed to be closed up. Wow. Thank goodness she didn't cause me to scream in pain.

I never did buy the earrings, but I guess I got my ears re-peirced for free. I've even worn earrings in them a few times since. I'm not much for piercings though, so mostly I leave them alone.

Wow, that is so not OK. If anyone tried something like that with me, I would have screamed, slapped them, and then called security and thrown a fit of epic proportions.

But then I have a pretty big personal space bubble. Luckily I seem to send off cold hard b*tch vibes, so most pushy sales people steer clear of me.

mommy101405
November 5th, 2008, 11:06 AM

Go to the top of the page and you'll see ads for them. Bet they're selling lots on here :cheese:

joyfulmom4
November 5th, 2008, 06:58 PM
Wow, that is so not OK. If anyone tried something like that with me, I would have screamed, slapped them, and then called security and thrown a fit of epic proportions.

But then I have a pretty big personal space bubble. Luckily I seem to send off cold hard b*tch vibes, so most pushy sales people steer clear of me.

Well, I'm generally pretty easygoing and tolerant of others and my sense of personal space is fairly relaxed. But I have to add also that the saleswoman was clearly not a US-born native, but was of south-east Asian descent. Thus I was less disturbed by the behavior since I know that different cultures have different concepts of personal space and appropriate contact. Ykwim. I figured that maybe in her culture something like this could be perfectly acceptable for a salesperson so I didn't take offense. Maybe. Maybe not. But I was mostly surprised as opposed to being upset. It definitely would've been far weirder and more disconcerting if it were a salesperson who was obviously from the midwest.