PDA

View Full Version : About Gray Hair & Combs/Brushes Made of Wood, Plastic, Horn, Etc.

Kalamazoo
November 16th, 2018, 10:53 AM
I thought I wanted to start a poll, but I'm more interested in essay-type answers to 10 questions, rather than 10 optional answers to one question. I think, if people saw other people's answers to these questions, their own answers would change:
1. Do you have grey hair?
2. What materials are your combs &/or brushes made of?
3. Do you use a. combs, b. brushes, c. both, d. neither?
4. How do you use them?
5. What is your hair type?
6. Do you find that your comb/brush technique is good for your hair?
7. How so?
8. Have you taken this poll before?
9. Have your answers changed?
10. How?

Kalamazoo
November 16th, 2018, 11:10 AM
Some background info ~ Google this:

Restore your natural color with a comb by Joyce Wang

and you'll get a fascinating article on ancient Chinese medical secrets for hair care, including how the author changed her own hair color from white to black, by replacing her plastic comb with a wooden one. Then she goes into how to use all these herbs, which info I haven't yet thoroughly digested.

Kalamazoo
November 16th, 2018, 11:17 AM
Another good source of info is to search on Google, Amazon, eBay, or some other search engine, for

wood comb premature gray

and just read through the ads for the combs that come up.

nycelle
November 16th, 2018, 11:23 AM
I've been combing my hair with a good wooden comb for a few months now. While I'm not really grey yet, my hairline is starting to go grey. The comb hasn't made a difference, and I comb my hair at least 5 times a day to keep the tangles out.

I use This One (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MR0PPKG/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

Cg
November 16th, 2018, 12:29 PM
I am mostly grey and regularly use a wood comb and BBB. I use very gentle patient strokes, the kind my grandmother always used, the kind you never see on youtube.

Kalamazoo
November 16th, 2018, 12:43 PM
Here's some info copied from an ad on Amazon for an ox horn comb with a wooden handle:

Ancient China doctor Li Shi Zhen (1518-1593) in his famous book named Compendium of Materia Medica?mentioned that ox and sheep horn products contain natural protein, and as such can stop headaches, baldness and loss of hair. Today's Horn comb has become more and more popular, as the benefit of using horn comb has been recognized by more and more people in world. Horn combs do not give off static electricity like plastic combs as they are made out of a natural substance that is the same as hair - keratin. It is the gentlest type of comb that grooms and conditions your hair while detangling your hair and cleaning it out of any dirt or grime and leaving it feeling revitalized and fresh. It unplugs and treats follicles and also spreads your natural oils. This conditioning action leaves the hair naturally glossy, moisturized. It helps stop hair breakage and split ends. The horn comb can discourage flaking and relieve an itchy scalp. Horn Comb is good for exfoliating dandruff, debris and dead cells. Horn combs are great for scalp stimulation, and helps the circulation of the blood, transmitting nutrition to your hair and causing the muscles and joints to relax. Thus in a way it can relieve stress and headaches by massaging your head.

JennGalt
November 16th, 2018, 02:35 PM
I thought I wanted to start a poll, but I'm more interested in essay-type answers to 10 questions, rather than 10 optional answers to one question. I think, if people saw other people's answers to these questions, their own answers would change:
4. How do you use them?
7. How so?
10. How?

1. In my early thirties. No greys yet.

2. Idk. I think most of my life I’ve used plastic stuff. The last few years I’ve used a cheap medium tooth comb with no rough edges. A couple weeks ago I started using a wet brush (supposedly the kind designed for men’s beards, but it seemed similar enough to the others and was a dollar cheaper.). On days I don’t wash I lightly oil and finger detangle, only bringing out the wet brush if tangles start getting out of control.

3. & 4. See previous answer. I just use them to detangle.

5. Thick and curly, and getting coarser in the last year. (I think that’s due to a combination of henna and fixing some health issues.) I have a variety of “types” and in between types. I have ancestors from three different continents, and nowhere is this more visible than my hair.

6. Uh... I guess...?

7. It keeps my hair from dreadlocking itself, as it is prone to doing so.

8. No.

9. No.

20. N/A

mwallingford
November 16th, 2018, 07:10 PM
1.) Nope, no grays yet! (though if I survive another couple years of college I might :p )

2.) My brushes are made of plastic and wood

3.) I use plastic Tangle Teezers and a (sandalwood) wooden wide toothed comb on my hair

4.) I detangle with my compact Tangle Teezer, brush my hair into updos with my Tangle Teezer ultimate, and help distribute oil through my hair with the wooden comb (after detangling)

5.) My hair type is 1a

6.) I think so

7.) Since switching to Tangle Teezers for detangling I don't break any strands and I've gained back a little thickness and the wooden comb helps distribute oil evenly

8.) No

9.) Nope

10.) N/A

Kalamazoo
November 20th, 2018, 05:23 AM
Thank you, mwallingford, JennGalt, Cg, & nycelle.

Kalamazoo
November 20th, 2018, 06:14 AM
I really should answer my own questions. :whistle:

No, not this morning, & I'm a blonette, age 62.

Some are ox horn, & others are made of various kinds of wood: neem (Most of them are finished, but one neem comb was made unfinished, to let more of the neem wood's benefits actually make hair contact), black sandalwood, lignum vitae, verawood, cherry wood, peach... I try to stay away from combs with a glue seam, because the oil I put in my hair can dissolve the glue & make a comb fall apart, so that means I avoid combs made of more than one material. I used plastic combs & brushes most of my life, until reading the eBay comb ads a couple of years ago, at the start of my hair journey.

Only a. combs. They are mostly fine-toothed, but a few are wide-toothed.

4. How do you use them?
A. I detangle with them, working from the ends up. (Thank you, LHC, for teaching me that from-the-ends-up part!) When I have a tangle, I put some oil on the tangle & on the comb & work gently, using both fingers & comb. I often find one or two split ends to be the root cause of the tangle, so I keep my scissors handy while combing, for S&D.
B. When I get done detangling, I'm able to comb straight from scalp to ends to distribute oils.
C. I use the combs to massage my scalp. I like using two combs at once, one in either hand, and rubbing my scalp vigorously with the combs' teeth. No, that does not tangle my hair.
D. I use the inversion method, bending over far enough to touch my toes if I'm doing callisthentics, and comb my hair upside-down. I don't count how many strokes.
E. I keep combing for a long time, 5 minutes or half an hour or an hour.
F. Parting my hair.
G. Styling.

Fine, 1b, i or ii.

I'll have to finish this later...

lapushka
November 20th, 2018, 07:33 AM
Hmm, that's odd; I thought I had answered this poll -apparently not. LOL!

TheForestFae
November 20th, 2018, 07:35 AM
4. How do you use them?
7. How so?
10. How?
1. No, I dont have grey hair yet

2. I have a small comb that made of buffalo horn, a wooden brush that I just dont know what kind of wood that it made from, a brush for scalp massage that made from plastic and a big comb to detangling for wet hair only also made from plastic

3. I use both of them

4. The small horn comb I always kept it with me whenever Im going out since it's small and convenience to use anywhere at anytime
The big comb for detangling my hair when it wet
The wooden brush normally I would use it at night, put a few drops of rosemary essential oil on it and brushing my hair with it and then Im good to go
The scalp massage brush I use it in the bathroom when Im shampooing my hair

5. My hair type is 1a/ii

6. Yes I do actually, it work really good on my hair

7. I dont know in detailed, maybe it's because I have did the right thing for my hair lol

8. I think that I did saw a poll about this somewhere but maybe Im just mistaken

9. Nope

10. I find it work well on me therefore I see no reason to change it :>

Kalamazoo
November 28th, 2018, 07:03 AM
I really should answer my own questions. :whistle:

No, not this morning, & I'm a blonette, age 62.

Some are ox horn, & others are made of various kinds of wood: neem (Most of them are finished, but one neem comb was made unfinished, to let more of the neem wood's benefits actually make hair contact), black sandalwood, lignum vitae, verawood, cherry wood, peach... I try to stay away from combs with a glue seam, because the oil I put in my hair can dissolve the glue & make a comb fall apart, so that means I avoid combs made of more than one material. I used plastic combs & brushes most of my life, until reading the eBay comb ads a couple of years ago, at the start of my hair journey.

Only a. combs. They are mostly fine-toothed, but a few are wide-toothed.

4. How do you use them?
A. I detangle with them, working from the ends up. (Thank you, LHC, for teaching me that from-the-ends-up part!) When I have a tangle, I put some oil on the tangle & on the comb & work gently, using both fingers & comb. I often find one or two split ends to be the root cause of the tangle, so I keep my scissors handy while combing, for S&D.
B. When I get done detangling, I'm able to comb straight from scalp to ends to distribute oils.
C. I use the combs to massage my scalp. I like using two combs at once, one in either hand, and rubbing my scalp vigorously with the combs' teeth. No, that does not tangle my hair.
D. I use the inversion method, bending over far enough to touch my toes if I'm doing callisthentics, and comb my hair upside-down. I don't count how many strokes.
E. I keep combing for a long time, 5 minutes or half an hour or an hour.
F. Parting my hair.
G. Styling.

Fine, 1b, i or ii.

I'll have to finish this later...

OK, it's later. What can I add here?

6. Do you find that your comb/brush technique is good for your hair? Yes, but I'm experiencing velcro ends for the first time ever. This is the longest my hair's ever been, so my ends are older than I'm used to, so I'm needing to learn to be even kinder to them (meaning I need to take a deep breath & steady myself for slower detangling-from-the-ends-up with unusual-for-me quantities of cocoa butter applied to the comb. So what I'm doing is good, but I need to slow down & get better.

7. How so? See #6.

8. Have you taken this poll before? Well, I wrote it, so I had answers in mind while writing; but this is the first time actually typing them all out.

9. Have your answers changed? Not as a result of this poll, but as a result of reading the info that I posted at the beginning of this thread, in my posts on November 16th, 2018 at 12:10 p.m.; & 1:43 p.m.

10. How? I replaced all my plastic combs & brushes with wooden or horn combs.

Kalamazoo
November 28th, 2018, 07:06 AM
Hmm, that's odd; I thought I had answered this poll -apparently not. LOL!

Lapushka? :eye: :rolleyes:

Kalamazoo
November 28th, 2018, 07:18 AM
I should also mention here the results from giving neem wood combs to my family:

My mom & brother are both natural blue-eyed blonds. (Mama's 1/2 Swedish.) My brother, age 58 at the time, tried one of those neem combs (which I bought for everyone in the family*). His hair went from looking almost all-white to a dark gray. The eBay ads DO say that neem gives a blackish cast to the hair. My mom, age 92 at the time, went from all snowy white to having a golden sheen.

I'm darker-complected than they are, because I inherited my dad's Irish coloring: blonette occasionally flaring red, with brown-green-hazel eyes. On me, the neem combs make my white hairs turn blond, so people don't consider me gray at all. I'm 62.

I also bought a neem comb for my calico cat. Calico cats' color genes are heat-sensitive, so they look more white when they're young, & when it's summertime. They blossom as they age & as they cool off, in the wintertime. My Angel also started showing more color when I started combing her with her own neem comb.

I sometimes supplement the wooden combs with a drop of neem oil (which stinks) or a drop of black walnut extract. Not everybody would consider neem oil or walnut extract to be totally safe, though. Just google them before using.

As I mentioned before, I also use combs made of lignum vitae, verawood, black sandalwood, green sandalwood, cherry wood ... all of which have advertisements saying that they "combat premature gray".

Why would wooden combs work to change hair color? I suppose because of the oils naturally in the wood making hair contact. Neem oil darkens hair, so a neem wood comb contains neem oil, etc.

Kalamazoo
November 28th, 2018, 07:19 AM
TheForestFae, thank you for your reply.