PDA

View Full Version : Dry, Coarse Strand At Nape

GrowlingCupcake
November 15th, 2018, 09:28 AM
So earlier this year, I had to stop using a sleep cap as it was causing the hair at my nape to break off, and may have caused an odd bald spot. While it doesn't look like there is anymore breakage, the hair on either side of my nape/neck is problematic.

I find a lot of single strand knots, and tangles there. The strands are more coarse than medium, and they are a lot drier. They still aren't long enough to get tucked into my buns easily, so they usually stick out.

The rest of my hair is still on the tangly, dry side but no where near as dry. Still as tangly, though.

How can I best protect these strands while they grow out? I'm currently trying to do a heavier LOC (BioSilk Silk Therapy Serum + NB's Selkie Detangler + NB's Fairy Rose Oil Blend + NB's Freya Salve) just on those strands after bunning the rest of my hair, and then twisting it into my bun as much as possible. I check them weekly for SSKs, and trim those off. I try to detangle that bit as gently as possible.

What else can I do to help the hair in that area to grow, and hopefully get rid of the weird bald spot so any advice would be appreciated.

The strands are still quite short. Not even six inches. They are of varying lengths as some broke off earlier, some broke off due to tangles/SSKs, some just grew slower/faster.

Would applying JBCO to that area help? I also have the Shea Moisture JBCO leave-in. Should I try that in that area?

Calarkmom
November 20th, 2018, 06:29 AM
If your hair is fairly wavy or curly, you can train the nape hair to curl. I also have moderately course hair at my nape and I would love some ideas to help soften it.

blackgothicdoll
November 20th, 2018, 10:45 AM
I wish I had advise, I share your struggle. My nape hair feels like velcro, and is basically only fairy knots. I tried even smothering it in shea butter overnight and woke up the next morning to crispiness.

GrowlingCupcake
February 15th, 2019, 05:12 PM
So I'm giving this a bump again, as I still have not found a solution.

My nape hair is growing now, but it is still problematic:
- Drier than my hair
- Coarse feeling but not actually coarse
- More prone to breakage
- It feels like it has kinks in it? Not sure how to describe this well but it bends every which way on the same strand. All squiggly
- More SSKs

I've tried applying more oil/serum/cream/what have you just to that one spot, but it's usually hit or miss; some times it works, other times it just drives me crazy.

So, yeah. Anyone have ideas?

Obsidian
February 15th, 2019, 05:50 PM
Maybe try this? Its heavy and creamy, seems to moisturize better then oils or a coney serum.

https://www.amazon.com/Herbal-Essences-Bio-Renew-Morocco-Oil-Infused/dp/B01M63MRQU

lithostoic
February 15th, 2019, 06:21 PM
Sounds like you're doing a great job already!

milosmomma
February 15th, 2019, 07:37 PM
S&d that area more often, I apply my conditioner to that area first and avoid shampoo there if I can. I figure those hairs are subjected to more abuse no matter what hairstyle you choose and they're just going to be more delicate/damaged. I use kinky curly knot today more heavily there too, it helps most for actual detangling and I snap fewer strands detangling when using it. I have been using eden bodyworks almond marshmallow deep treatment for a few months now as my regular conditioner and I do feel like they have been less dry lately. Between that and the kckt I feel like it's as good as I'm going to get :)

Rowdy
February 15th, 2019, 09:31 PM
So I'm giving this a bump again, as I still have not found a solution.

My nape hair is growing now, but it is still problematic:
- Drier than my hair
- Coarse feeling but not actually coarse
- More prone to breakage
- It feels like it has kinks in it? Not sure how to describe this well but it bends every which way on the same strand. All squiggly
- More SSKs

I've tried applying more oil/serum/cream/what have you just to that one spot, but it's usually hit or miss; some times it works, other times it just drives me crazy.

So, yeah. Anyone have ideas?

This sounds a lot like the wiry, kinky hairs I have although they live on my crown. Mine are gigantic and can be really sharp at the bends. They seem to like fatty alcohols and getting wet frequently. Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine, cetyl alcohol and stearyl alcohol are usually present in the products that work the best for them. Right now that's just a rinse out conditioner, Aussie 7N1.

JennGalt
February 15th, 2019, 09:58 PM
I have a few patches like that. Two have grown long enough that they will stay tucked into buns. The third still likes to pull itself out of buns and frizz. Unfortunately, it’s right on my hairline at the top of my forehead, so there’s not a ton I can do about it. The two sections that have grown out and can be coaxed into decent behavior seem to enjoy aloe and more oil than the rest of my hair. Flaxseed gel seems to be helping too; it moisturizes and forms a protective barrier, which is very helpful for breakage prone sections. Aloe is better for softness, but the flaxseed gel is better for hold. Perhaps try mixing the two? And I’m going to second the recommendation for KCKT. It really cut down on the SSKs and breakage from detangling. Also try low buns until the nape hair will reliably stay tucked into other styles.

Entangled
February 15th, 2019, 10:42 PM
Wiry and kinky describes my nape hair to a T! But I’ve given up worrying about it, I think because I haven’t had major tangles. Still have breakage though. I’ll bee looking at this thread.

Astrid Carlisle
February 18th, 2019, 02:21 AM
I have had this my whole life. They never grow long enough, so either I have to use bobby pins to add them to my bun, or just have them fluffed out under the bun. A few times in my teens I shaved that small part of hair off, or cut them short just to not deal with the dryness. At first they were softer as they grew out, but now they are getting a bit dry as well, although not AS DRY as they were before. The dryness have also been due to the previous colour damage. However, they also kind of break off a lot and just look unruly.. :/ I wish they were just one length with the rest of the hair. oh well..

Tinyponies
February 21st, 2019, 02:31 PM
So earlier this year, I had to stop using a sleep cap as it was causing the hair at my nape to break off, and may have caused an odd bald spot. While it doesn't look like there is anymore breakage, the hair on either side of my nape/neck is problematic.

I find a lot of single strand knots, and tangles there. The strands are more coarse than medium, and they are a lot drier. They still aren't long enough to get tucked into my buns easily, so they usually stick out.

The rest of my hair is still on the tangly, dry side but no where near as dry. Still as tangly, though.

How can I best protect these strands while they grow out? I'm currently trying to do a heavier LOC (BioSilk Silk Therapy Serum + NB's Selkie Detangler + NB's Fairy Rose Oil Blend + NB's Freya Salve) just on those strands after bunning the rest of my hair, and then twisting it into my bun as much as possible. I check them weekly for SSKs, and trim those off. I try to detangle that bit as gently as possible.

What else can I do to help the hair in that area to grow, and hopefully get rid of the weird bald spot so any advice would be appreciated.

The strands are still quite short. Not even six inches. They are of varying lengths as some broke off earlier, some broke off due to tangles/SSKs, some just grew slower/faster.

Would applying JBCO to that area help? I also have the Shea Moisture JBCO leave-in. Should I try that in that area?

Hello! I’ve been trying an experiment lately and thought of you and this thread today.

I found a lovely largish silk scarf at the charity shop around a month ago, and I’ve been really enjoying wearing it wound around my neck and tied; it’s a square one so I folded it up into around a 3-4” wide strip and it goes around my neck three times then I tie it (discovered my sensitive skin loves silk, and it serves as a great lightweight and nice looking scarf too).

So I’m sharing with you here because I’ve been noticing that the scarf is protecting my nape hairs a lot, from the weather and from my clothes. They are not catching and tangling in the wind and feel silkier.

Kind regards!

Lady Stardust
February 21st, 2019, 03:41 PM
Hello! I’ve been trying an experiment lately and thought of you and this thread today.

I found a lovely largish silk scarf at the charity shop around a month ago, and I’ve been really enjoying wearing it wound around my neck and tied; it’s a square one so I folded it up into around a 3-4” wide strip and it goes around my neck three times then I tie it (discovered my sensitive skin loves silk, and it serves as a great lightweight and nice looking scarf too).

So I’m sharing with you here because I’ve been noticing that the scarf is protecting my nape hairs a lot, from the weather and from my clothes. They are not catching and tangling in the wind and feel silkier.

Kind regards!

Thanks for posting this because I was thinking earlier today how much better my nape hair would be if I wore a scarf over it! I’ve recently bought 2 gorgeous large bandanas so I have no excuse :)

miyeena
February 27th, 2019, 01:22 PM
Could you try oiling them up or trimming them as time goes? I am not sure will it help, since my hairs there do grow - but they're very dry and coarse ish, while getting all tangled and weird. I started oiling them up so it helped a little. ;)

giraff
December 8th, 2019, 05:49 PM
Reviving this thread. Were you able to improve anything? I remember I had this when my hair was longer. The hair around my nape was super curly, crisp and always tangly. I'm trying to prevent it this time by specifically conditioning that area when I wash, and not pinning it up with bobby pins all the time.

Any other advice?