PDA

View Full Version : Shampoo Only?

kinnyuu
November 14th, 2018, 01:58 PM
I know this sounds absolutely insane, but hear me out.

I’ve been shampoo only ever since I cut my hair back. I was getting rid of my dye damaged ends, and ever since then I haven’t “needed” conditioner.

I had TBL length and now and up to BSL, had it cut to APL. It’s been a few months now.

I use coconut oil on the ends to seal after my shower.
My hair is really soft and manageable, it’s so weird. I think I have low porosity, mostly straight hair.

My mom swears by shampoo only and uses Prell. I used to think she was insane but her hair is down to BCL and beautiful and thick. All she does is shampoo once or twice a week.

Have any of you heard of doing this? I feel like it would only work for specific hair types, my mom is pretty wavy and has great results with it.

Now I find conditioner coating-feeling, it makes me greasy really fast and feels generally gross.

Ylva
November 14th, 2018, 02:30 PM
I think, if I had 100% virgin hair, I'd be shampoo only, too. I was like that as a kid and while my hair sometimes got tangled then, I think some of it can be credited to simply being a kid.

akurah
November 14th, 2018, 02:33 PM
Shampoo only is great, especially if you’re an infrequent washer (1-2 times a week or less). My hair does fine with it. It’s not suitable for everyone though.

MusicalSpoons
November 14th, 2018, 03:25 PM
One of the longtime members, Madora, uses only shampoo and mineral oil as far as I understand, and her hair is stunning. It clearly works for some :)

nycelle
November 14th, 2018, 03:32 PM
If it works for you, no need to change.

lapushka
November 14th, 2018, 05:11 PM
When my hair was chin up to APL I didn't need conditioner either. I have oily hair, the oil traveled down quite a bit as well, and I only really need conditioner ear-down (a little lower than that), so...

I do get that you can do without it at shorter lengths, but ever since hitting BSL, I needed me some heavy duty conditioner!!! The tangles were suddenly there!

enfys
November 14th, 2018, 05:46 PM
I only do it occasionally, but when I'm too exhausted for CWC I will just shampoo, and it's fine. I use a creamy leave in and oil on the length and it's not really very different to when I do use conditioner, but not quite as soft and slippery as I am used to and like. The colder it gets the more likely I am to be doing shampoo only simply because I hate being cold and wet!

Spar
November 14th, 2018, 06:11 PM
I didn't start using conditioner regularly until one year ago (Yeah, I know lol). I made it to BCL! Although my hair was a tangled mess, it got stuck in brushes, super fuzzy all around... yeah not cool. This was from ages 13-19ish. Back then I had no idea about conditioner and was too lazy. Even as a child, I remember my mom helping me take baths, and she always had to spray a detangler on my wet hair to get the comb through. So I think certain hair types and textures need conditioning. If it works for you, continue doing it!

blackgothicdoll
November 14th, 2018, 06:25 PM
So I think certain hair types and textures need conditioning. If it works for you, continue doing it!

That's for sure. I can't shampoo without deep conditioning, so the thought of shampoo only leaves me with nightmares lol :P I bet people doing shampoo only save a ton of money on hair products though!

Estrid
November 14th, 2018, 11:33 PM
Yep, I've been doing it for years. I've tried to like conditioners but I just...don't?
Recently I've had to add some oil to my length as the last step of washing my hair (water-shampoo-water-oil-dry...), not sure why my hair changed, but it works so that's that.

Saige
November 15th, 2018, 12:15 AM
I don't use conditioner either. I haven't used it since I started growing my hair out actually. All I use on my hair is a gentle shampoo and olive oil. Like you, I found conditioner too heavy and it built up on my hair too fast. A little oil on damp hair works wonders for me!

guska
November 15th, 2018, 01:15 AM
I was shampoo only from age... 0? to age 11. My whole family is still shampoo only. I washed my hair once a week with a Head&Shoulders shampoo. It worked well for me even when I had WL.

Joules
November 15th, 2018, 05:27 AM
Being shampoo only must be great! I've known a few people who just used shampoo and their hair was gorgeous. I wish I could be like that, the longer my hair gets the more conditioning it needs, and it consumes so much time and money :(

lapushka
November 15th, 2018, 06:00 AM
I didn't have conditioner growing up, so I had classic length and we only had shampoo in the 70s and early 80s. Brushing and combing my hair out was *hell*.

I even used shampoo-only all through my teens, the Garnier Fructis line which was (in that time) so chock full of silicones that I didn't need conditioner. I also never had hair past BSL.

And BSL is where my issues started with knotting and tangling.

Ligeia Noire
November 15th, 2018, 06:08 AM
I can't get a comb through my hair if I don't use something that gives me enough slip. Which in my case has to be a conditioner. Oils just get it more matted but if you can get away with only shampoo that's awesome. I envy you.

lapushka
November 15th, 2018, 08:28 AM
I can't get a comb through my hair if I don't use something that gives me enough slip. Which in my case has to be a conditioner. Oils just get it more matted but if you can get away with only shampoo that's awesome. I envy you.

Yes at this length (FTL), I need a good couple of masks or conditioner! :)

Ligeia Noire
November 15th, 2018, 09:04 AM
I think even at shorter lengths I couldn't ditch the conditioner. Some hair types just are more prone to tangles than others. I bet straighter hair and thicker individual hairs are probably more likely to not need it but after certain lengths I don't know if even sleek hair can get away with it ...

lithostoic
November 15th, 2018, 09:08 AM
My mom does this but I wish she wouldn't. She also heat styles her wurly hair straight every day :/

Even at CBL I used conditioner. Now I find my hair and scalp to feel dry when I use shampoo at all.

nycelle
November 15th, 2018, 09:11 AM
I think true 1a hair can get away with at longer lengths. My moms hair doesn't tangle, it doesn't get frizzy, it just hangs perfectly straight down.

Have pictures of her as a kid with braids coming down past her waist, and I know she didn't use conditioner back then (in Russia). I say this because she never understood why my hair was always tangled, and she had no idea how to handle it..lol..

hannabiss
November 15th, 2018, 09:39 AM
Im just at shoulder length and dont use conditioner for now. I only apply conditioner as if i was putting up a low pony. Seems fine for now but I know soon I'll need conditioner. Otherwise my hair will rip if I try combing it while wet. My hairs fine I need all the extra protection I can get.

Deborah
November 15th, 2018, 03:18 PM
I have not used conditioner for years. I think there are many who don't use it, and don't miss it.

Nini
November 15th, 2018, 03:26 PM
I’ve not used conditioner since my teens, and back then it was on and off too. It just weighs down my hair, and I’m too lazy.

My hair is from classic to mid-thigh length.

spidermom
November 15th, 2018, 07:09 PM
Conditioner definitely leaves hair coated, and that coating is protective. My hair is porous and prone to damage, so I value that layer of protection.

lucid
November 15th, 2018, 07:43 PM
There is a huge difference on shampoos though. Many (mist even?) drugstore and high end shampoos contain silicones. For example Head and Shoulders regular shampoo contains silicones, so it's no wonder many can use this one without conditioner. It can also build up in the hair.

Washing your hair with moisturizing shampoo with silicones or other slippery ingredients is completely different to washing your hair with shampoo that only contains "washing agents".

It also depends on length. I can go without at this length and probably to waist or longer, but I don't think it's any good for the hair. I have fine hair, so mechanical damage must be avoided. Also, I tend to get super static hair if I don't use conditioner.

joyknights
November 15th, 2018, 07:49 PM
I only use conditioner whenever I stay home, I also feel like shampoo is enough.

gustavonut
December 7th, 2018, 03:28 AM
Right now I’m not using any conditioner, but I do pre poo with coconut oil the night before washing.

Pouncequick
December 7th, 2018, 06:59 AM
I used to wash my shoulder to hip length hair with Pantene Beautiful Lengths with no conditioner. I never piled my hair on my head though which probably helped to an extent, but I'm using conditioner now because there are so many fewer tangles with conditioner.

The-Young-Maid
December 7th, 2018, 09:39 AM
I wish I could do that! Sounds so convenient. But you'd need a nice coney/moisturizing shampoo and my scalp can't handle that. My scalp feels way better with silicone free shampoo. I love how Pantene shampoos make my hair feel... but my scalp gets super itchy/oily and uncomfortable :(

amiraaah
December 7th, 2018, 09:58 AM
I have curly dry hair and i use shampoo only.my hair hates conditioners so much it’s weird but conditioners (with silicone or silicone free)makes my hair very dull.i use coconut oil on my scalp and avocado oil on the length,leave it for 1 hour or 2 then wash with shampoo and use chamomile or rice water hair rinse as my conditioner.so i don’t use conditioners or leave ins.