PDA

View Full Version : Hair Oiling Question??

katieing
November 13th, 2018, 08:35 AM
It's been months since I've been active on here but you guys always know best :)

I want to start oiling my hair before I do my weekly washes, but wouldn't oiling it before my wash prevent moisture from the water / good stuff from my conditioner from getting into my hair follicle? Like, if the oil is coating the hair, it would repel the water and conditioner from getting into my hair? Or am I making this up :confused:

To those of you who oil your hair and get good results, share your secrets with me!!!! Thanks guys

TreesOfEternity
November 13th, 2018, 08:47 AM
In my experience the key is to use just the right amount of oil, so the shampoo that runs through your hair while you are rinsing removes it. If you overdo the oil, you can use a first conditioner to remove the excess oil, then another conditioner to actually nourish your hair.

Ylva
November 13th, 2018, 09:17 AM
I second TreesOfEternity's advice. I like to oil my hair somewhat lightly (but enough so that it feels a bit oily), then shampoo my scalp and roots, let the suds run through the lengths while rinsing, and proceed to conditioning (I condition twice anyway).

MusicalSpoons
November 13th, 2018, 09:55 AM
Science-y Hair Blog has a good post about oils and explains why they can be beneficial for the hair: https://science-yhairblog.blogspot.com/2013/06/oils-which-ones-soak-in-vs-coat-hair.html

Particularly pertinent is this point near the end:

Oil pre-shampoo! This is one of the best times to use oil, even if it seems counterintuitive to put oil on your hair before you're going to wash it - in part to remove any excess oil. Apply a light (or heavy) oiling to your hair and leave it on for 2-12 or more hours before shampooing or otherwise cleansing your hair. The oil prevents dehydration and loss of proteins and otherwise protects and buffers your hair from water and detergent. If you get the amount of oil and leave-on time right, your hair will be more flexible and feel softer, better lubricated and if you have waves or curls, they will be better-defined. The longer you leave the oil on, the more oil will work its way into your hair.

ursaV
November 13th, 2018, 10:19 AM
Science-y Hair Blog has a good post about oils and explains why they can be beneficial for the hair: https://science-yhairblog.blogspot.com/2013/06/oils-which-ones-soak-in-vs-coat-hair.html

Particularly pertinent is this point near the end:

Oil pre-shampoo! This is one of the best times to use oil, even if it seems counterintuitive to put oil on your hair before you're going to wash it - in part to remove any excess oil. Apply a light (or heavy) oiling to your hair and leave it on for 2-12 or more hours before shampooing or otherwise cleansing your hair. The oil prevents dehydration and loss of proteins and otherwise protects and buffers your hair from water and detergent. If you get the amount of oil and leave-on time right, your hair will be more flexible and feel softer, better lubricated and if you have waves or curls, they will be better-defined. The longer you leave the oil on, the more oil will work its way into your hair.

You're bringing it with the science posts MusicalSpoons! Thank you so much for this article and the one in the swimming thread, they've really helped me. I could spend quite a bit of time on this blog :p

I'm still learning about oils myself, but I oil bit by bit all week. A seriously small smidgen of jojoba every other day so you can barely start to see it by the end of the week. I usually oil the night before a wash so that my hair looks oily but not competently saturated, and then when I shampoo it all comes out. If I wasn't using sulfates I would probably skip the heavier pre-poo.

MusicalSpoons
November 13th, 2018, 10:37 AM
Hehe, ursaV all credit goes to Wendy (author of SHB) - she's done all the hard work! I'm glad pointing you to the blog helped, though :D

I mostly do the rinse-out oil method, as it keeps my ends very happy in the ~week between full washes, without attracting tons of lint. I don't think you get all the nourishing benefits of the oil that way, though - however those benefits might be reaped more from adding oil to your usual conditioner and letting it sit for a while.

I have done pre-poo oil treatments (and still might occasionally, when the fancy takes me) and when I wash afterwards, I wet my hair, conditioner on the lengths, shampoo, rinse, then condition again.

I have also had success (except the amount of lint attracted) with light oiling dry hair, using small enough amounts of an oil or oil blend that seems to be absorbed - which oils work like that for different people is very individual though.

Ultimately though, ROO gives me the overall most benefit and is the most convenient to fit into my routine :shrug:

Dark40
November 13th, 2018, 06:30 PM
I second TreesOfEternity and Yiva. I also love oiling my hair as well but only lightly to the point of a nice shine. Then, I shampoo and condition.

lenu60
November 13th, 2018, 10:49 PM
I second musicalspoons I usually use grape seed oil or coconut oil sometimes and when I’m lazy I buy Jakeala honey pre poo butter

TheMandaRose
November 15th, 2018, 09:38 AM
I love to use oils on my hair! Last night I used my oil blend that is about 50% jojoba oil and the other 50% is a mix of olive oil, coconut oil, grape seed oil, avocado/sunflower oil blend that I add peppermint, tea tree, frankincense and rosemary essential oils to. I didn't saturate, just put enough to make it super shiny and then I mixed up a SMT treatment, wrapped my hair in cling wrap and snuggled up on the couch with a book for a couple hours. When I washed out, I just used conditioner. After my shower I squeezed the excess water out, put a few more drops of oil and some aloe gel through my length and wrapped it up in a t-shirt. You wouldn't believe how soft and smooth my hair is today!

bokeh
November 15th, 2018, 07:15 PM
I would also add that oil is especially nice to use if you have coarse hair like I do. Oiling before washing makes a difference and on non-wash-day mornings I also like to add a little water to my hair with my wet hands and then put just a drop or two of oil on my ends. It really adds a lot of flexibility and a bit of shine too.

almostghost
November 21st, 2018, 01:38 PM
I love to use oils on my hair! Last night I used my oil blend that is about 50% jojoba oil and the other 50% is a mix of olive oil, coconut oil, grape seed oil, avocado/sunflower oil blend that I add peppermint, tea tree, frankincense and rosemary essential oils to. I didn't saturate, just put enough to make it super shiny and then I mixed up a SMT treatment, wrapped my hair in cling wrap and snuggled up on the couch with a book for a couple hours. When I washed out, I just used conditioner. After my shower I squeezed the excess water out, put a few more drops of oil and some aloe gel through my length and wrapped it up in a t-shirt. You wouldn't believe how soft and smooth my hair is today!

Ooooooh, this sounds lovely! I bet it leaves your hair smelling nice too. I have most of these ingredients already, so I have to make sure I try this soon. :)

TheMandaRose
November 21st, 2018, 09:20 PM
Ooooooh, this sounds lovely! I bet it leaves your hair smelling nice too. I have most of these ingredients already, so I have to make sure I try this soon. :)

It's wonderful! The scent doesn't last as long as I want but it's great while it's there. But I'm a minty kinda girl ;)