PDA

View Full Version : Hip length hair hairstyles ideas

Shigure
November 12th, 2018, 11:52 AM
I need some inspiration.
I have thin and fine hair. Damaged to the point where they look layered.
But!
They have some weight.
I need comfortable styles for them. My regular hairstyle is braid. But when its getting colder I cut my hair with zipper few times a day which cut a lot of hair.
I like nautilus bun but it hurts my scalp now when my hair grew longer.

Like you probably now when you search Youtube for long hair styles you get APL most of the time or girls with hair 4-6 of my volume. Not very helpful.

mwallingford
November 12th, 2018, 12:34 PM
Hello! I'm sure other people could chime in with more experience but I also have 1a hair that is super slippery. If you're having trouble with a bun staying and/or pulling on your scalp you may want to try a bun (your nautilus should work fine) and then take a plastic claw clip and clip one on each side. I do this with a lazy wrap bun ALL the time when I need it to stay put and not slip all day.

If you prefer braids, you could try bunning your braid for the winter time to spare your ends but it's up to you. If you know how to French Braid, you could try the Jamie Leigh bun (I really like the look of it but my braid doesn't like to wrap around quite yet for it to stay securely.)

Hope this helps! :flower:

lapushka
November 12th, 2018, 12:45 PM
What about a neat side-braid?

Or a LWB (lazy wrap bun). I wore a LWB from hip to FTL, then I switched to the Nautilus (I could not wear a Nautilus sooner). I somehow outgrew the LWB, but if you're looking for a good bun to start with, I recommend that one!

Shigure
November 12th, 2018, 02:31 PM
Hello! I'm sure other people could chime in with more experience but I also have 1a hair that is super slippery. If you're having trouble with a bun staying and/or pulling on your scalp you may want to try a bun (your nautilus should work fine) and then take a plastic claw clip and clip one on each side. I do this with a lazy wrap bun ALL the time when I need it to stay put and not slip all day.

If you prefer braids, you could try bunning your braid for the winter time to spare your ends but it's up to you. If you know how to French Braid, you could try the Jamie Leigh bun (I really like the look of it but my braid doesn't like to wrap around quite yet for it to stay securely.)

Hope this helps! :flower:
I don't know how to braid :D I've tried clap clips. They pull small strands of hair which give me headache.

What about a neat side-braid?

Or a LWB (lazy wrap bun). I wore a LWB from hip to FTL, then I switched to the Nautilus (I could not wear a Nautilus sooner). I somehow outgrew the LWB, but if you're looking for a good bun to start with, I recommend that one!

I need something that don't hang from my head. Side braid is my favorite but not in this time of year.

lucid
November 12th, 2018, 02:44 PM
What about double braids that you wrap around your head? It will look pretty with your thickness and they are comfortable for an updo. My scalp is also very sensitive.

Just braid two regular braids instead of one, wrap first one around the head, secure it with whatever clips/pins work for you, and then the other. Hide the braid tassles under the braids. :)

Dark40
November 12th, 2018, 07:14 PM
What about a side-sweep ponytail or braid? You can also curl your hair, and put it in banana clips. You can wear your hair in borettes of hair updos, and half updos to the one side.

MusicalSpoons
November 13th, 2018, 03:39 AM
You could have a look at the Hairstyle Thesaurus (https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=145554) for inspiration too :)

I'd recommend spin pins for holding buns, or perhaps forks with 3 or 4 slim prongs. What size claw clips have you tried? I understand they don't work for everyone though (I've not really tried them myself, to be honest).

Edit: I've just thought, maybe your hair is at an awkward length/thickness ratio for a nautilus right now, as you say it's started to hurt your scalp. You might be able to try a double-wrapped nautilus, or a double-wrapped LWB which would require slightly less length. It helps distribute the weight a bit better, I find, as well as being far more stable and therefore does not need to be too tight.

pailin
November 13th, 2018, 06:15 AM
For some reason I found the lazy wrap much easier than nautilus until sometime last year; for me I think I needed more length. Even though as far as I can tell it results in the same bun (but a mirror imave the way I do them). You just wrap one time less with a nautilus because of the way you do the first loop. I still can't do the double wrapped versions at past classic, but my hair is thicker than yours I think. However, I've been trying some double loop buns lately and liking them - especially Spidermom's bun and the celtic knot bun (which is a knot bun, but sort of a double loop, at least the way I do it). I've been especially liking the balance of the celtic knot bun on days when the nautilus just seems to pull.
Otherwise, if you have time, I'd go with the two braids wrapped around your head. Or some people find a braided bun more comfortable, so you could try that too.

Addy
November 13th, 2018, 11:12 AM
I'd recommend spin pins for holding buns, or perhaps forks with 3 or 4 slim prongs. What size claw clips have you tried? I understand they don't work for everyone though (I've not really tried them myself, to be honest).

Sorry for going OT but have you had trouble finding spin pins? I can't find them anywhere for the last few months.

MusicalSpoons
November 13th, 2018, 04:28 PM
Sorry for going OT but have you had trouble finding spin pins? I can't find them anywhere for the last few months.

I bought mine on Amazon. I was exceptionally fortunate for the first lot; the second lot I haven't tried but the metal is slightly thinner - the ends look fine though, nothing to catch or rip hair. They cost me about £1.50 for 10, free postage. (Took weeks to get here from China but I didn't mind.)

Shigure
November 14th, 2018, 06:45 AM
You could have a look at the Hairstyle Thesaurus (https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=145554) for inspiration too :)

Edit: I've just thought, maybe your hair is at an awkward length/thickness ratio for a nautilus right now, as you say it's started to hurt your scalp. You might be able to try a double-wrapped nautilus, or a double-wrapped LWB which would require slightly less length. It helps distribute the weight a bit better, I find, as well as being far more stable and therefore does not need to be too tight.

I LOVE the source you directed me to. I've never seen that before.
Answering to your questions.
1. My bun is small. I can't hide spin pins in it.
2. I like the look of few prong forks but there is too much prongs/enough hair ratio problem.
3. I've tried 3-4 inches claws. One or two at the same time.
I've worn nautilus before because it was fast, easy and comfortable. It is not anymore. I will definitely try double-wrapped nautilus, or a double-wrapped LWB.