PDA

View Full Version : Freaking out over shedding.

Väsen
November 11th, 2018, 06:01 PM
Hello lovelies,

I've always had a lot of hair, and fio the past four-ish years I've grown it from shoulder-lenght to tailbone length. I'm very proud of my hair and take really good care of it.

In the past few months, I've started shedding like crazy though, and it's at the point where my braid thickness has almost halved. I'm terrified. Friends keep telling me I've just reached the terminal stage of my longest hairs, and they're now all falling out at the same time, but I can't stop thinking about it. I can feel how thin it's gotten.

At what point do I need to visit a doctor? How do I know if this is normal or not?

Caraid♫
November 11th, 2018, 07:41 PM
Shedding is normal but if you're noticing a big diminishment in your circumference it might be wise to go to the doctor! I think diet deficiencies or stress might be common things to look into if you are losing hair.
But don't panic!! Go to doctor and see what's up so you don't have to be left wondering!

blesseddamozel
November 11th, 2018, 09:51 PM
Yeah I would go see a doc, losing so much at once is concerning. Sending positive thoughts your way, hopefully whatever's causing it is easily fixed :)

lapushka
November 12th, 2018, 09:37 AM
In the past few months, I've started shedding like crazy though, and it's at the point where my braid thickness has almost halved. I'm terrified. Friends keep telling me I've just reached the terminal stage of my longest hairs, and they're now all falling out at the same time, but I can't stop thinking about it. I can feel how thin it's gotten.

At what point do I need to visit a doctor? How do I know if this is normal or not?

If it has halved, you *definitely* need to see a doctor, and explain to them really well that you had double the amount of hair. This is not normal.

Have some basic bloodwork done, that is no luxury.

Väsen
January 15th, 2019, 05:52 PM
Update:

Several months later I finally have a doctor's appointment to check deficincies. I also went to the hairdresser to ask for advice, and she said she didn't notice any abnormal shedding when combing and handling my hair, and I think (hope) I see some new baby hair growing by my hairline. Hopefully that means the major shedding has stopped.

But I'm devastated. I have lost two thirds of my hair, and it's so thin and miserable it's almost pointless to keep it long. My thick hair was the one thing about myself I liked, and now I've lost that too. I don't know what to do.

Cate36
January 15th, 2019, 06:04 PM
Update:

Several months later I finally have a doctor's appointment to check deficincies. I also went to the hairdresser to ask for advice, and she said she didn't notice any abnormal shedding when combing and handling my hair, and I think (hope) I see some new baby hair growing by my hairline. Hopefully that means the major shedding has stopped.

But I'm devastated. I have lost two thirds of my hair, and it's so thin and miserable it's almost pointless to keep it long. My thick hair was the one thing about myself I liked, and now I've lost that too. I don't know what to do.

I understand totally.. going through this too.. I truly understand from my heart how you feel. I feel 100% the same about my hair and image. One thing the doc told me was that hair cycles can "Sync" - all fall at once, and all grow at once. That was not comforting to me.. but he said it is what happens on a Keto diet..

I don't know what to advise other than what I am doing currently. Lost of blood tests to check if there are any underlying issues other than stress (really push for them, you need to know for your own sake of mind.. so hormone, and vitamin), and 2, a massive change of diet, "hair food" at every meal, consistently, so greek yogurt/dairy full fat, super greens, oily fish (sardines are the best you can eat.. a literal super food if not vegan), eggs.. lots of water, veg and some fruit.."

I was also advised by another lady that suffered this out the blue, to take black seed oil daily.. it has a lot of nutrients and her hair was thicker in 9 months from it.

My heart and soul are with you.. let's do this journey together XXXX

Väsen
January 15th, 2019, 06:23 PM
I understand totally.. going through this too.. I truly understand from my heart how you feel. I feel 100% the same about my hair and image. One thing the doc told me was that hair cycles can "Sync" - all fall at once, and all grow at once. That was not comforting to me.. but he said it is what happens on a Keto diet..

I don't know what to advise other than what I am doing currently. Lost of blood tests to check if there are any underlying issues other than stress (really push for them, you need to know for your own sake of mind.. so hormone, and vitamin), and 2, a massive change of diet, "hair food" at every meal, consistently, so greek yogurt/dairy full fat, super greens, oily fish (sardines are the best you can eat.. a literal super food if not vegan), eggs.. lots of water, veg and some fruit.."

I was also advised by another lady that suffered this out the blue, to take black seed oil daily.. it has a lot of nutrients and her hair was thicker in 9 months from it.

My heart and soul are with you.. let's do this journey together XXXX

Thanks Cate. <3 I just saw your thread and I really feel for you.

I suppose it was a huge mistake to center so much of my identity around my hair, but it was hard not to. It was literally the first thing people noticed about me, and I was so proud of it. Now it's... This. Whatever this is. A few sad strands of hair that don't even cover my back anymore.

I've been taking these expensive hair supplements, because I have a lot of allergies so my diet is kinda limited. Before my doctor's appointment, there isn't much else I feel like I can do.

Cate36
January 15th, 2019, 07:07 PM
Thanks Cate. <3 I just saw your thread and I really feel for you.

I suppose it was a huge mistake to center so much of my identity around my hair, but it was hard not to. It was literally the first thing people noticed about me, and I was so proud of it. Now it's... This. Whatever this is. A few sad strands of hair that don't even cover my back anymore.

I've been taking these expensive hair supplements, because I have a lot of allergies so my diet is kinda limited. Before my doctor's appointment, there isn't much else I feel like I can do.

Same same.. I am known for my hair.. same.. in fact it's the thing that men would comment always "it's one of the best things about you".. same.. I work partially in the media (although not since thins happened) and my hair.. well it's the thing that always stood out.. I get you totally 100% .. completely.. I understand from my heart.. I always referred to myself like Samson.. my hair equals my strength.. it's hard I know...

aethyra
January 15th, 2019, 07:42 PM
I just took my black seed oil. I do an ounce straight up after food or on an empty on a daily basis. Sheds stopped almost immediately. My mom told me about the black seed oil. She was having a major shed a few months back and it stopped in a few days of taking it internally and dabbing it lightly along the part, edges and areas of sparsity. It seeps right in without an oily film. My hair and scalp dont seem to like oil yet tolerates this black seed oil quite well. I am using it externally once a week while in testing phase.

Cate36
January 15th, 2019, 07:50 PM
I just took my black seed oil. I do an ounce straight up after food or on an empty on a daily basis. Sheds stopped almost immediately. My mom told me about the black seed oil. She was having a major shed a few months back and it stopped in a few days of taking it internally and dabbing it lightly along the part, edges and areas of sparsity. It seeps right in without an oily film. My hair and scalp dont seem to like oil yet tolerates this black seed oil quite well. I am using it externally once a week while in testing phase.

Ao happy to hear this! So so so so so happy.. XXXXXX I take the raw oil each morning on an empty stomach and add a few of the seeds to my food throughout the day. SO HAPPY TO HEAR THIS! I cannot express.. so hopeful.. I'm only a few days into taking it. Started 4 days ago..

Väsen
January 15th, 2019, 07:57 PM

I'm going to look for blackseed oil first thing tomorrow. Is there a specific type I should get? Do I just take the oil on a spoon, or do I just use it in my hair?

aethyra
January 15th, 2019, 08:03 PM
both. go very light on the scalp only. Teeny tiny dabs. Here is the one my mom recommends.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/81eJBOVXx0L._SL1500_.jpg She is really into health supplements for the past 20 years so I totally trust her judgment on this. Plus her instant results as far as complete cessation of the shedding

aethyra
January 15th, 2019, 08:04 PM
Sorry about that. IT IS HUUUUGE image wise.. Dont apply to hair! I did and saw no actual benefit to hair health but my hair hates oils. I do scalp only once a week and my sheds stopped straight away.

LIGHTLY DAB IT ON IN Scalp only . USE SPARINGLY and not daily. Just go slow at first as far as putting it on the scalp (maybe once every few days) Use a very light amount to see how your current hair shed reacts. Let it seep in. No need to massage. Take one ounce daily by mouth though. I do take it daily. It also helps asthma and loads of other health ailments.