PDA

View Full Version : Do natural shampoos make your hair grow longer ?

Crazylazy34
November 11th, 2018, 12:14 PM
What is your experience with natural shampoos? And do they make your hair grow longer quicker

AutobotsAttack
November 11th, 2018, 12:42 PM
They’re an alternative to manufactured products or name brand stuff. Friendlier ingredients, but no they don’t speed up growth. Growth is predetermined by genetics and is usually .5-1 inch a month on average for human beings.

Crazylazy34
November 11th, 2018, 01:09 PM
Thank you for your reply :) I’ve been reading a lot about hair and was wondering if it is a good idea not to use drug store brands

Ylva
November 11th, 2018, 01:22 PM
If you find that harsher commercial shampoos dry out your scalp too much, they might help in the sense that they are scalp-friendlier. They might also contain some ingredients that are helpful for hair growth like tea tree or peppermint, but I find that the most beneficial thing for hair growth are hair massages and I like to apply such ingredients through oiling my scalp prior to washing it. I've never found shampoo to have any meaningful effect in that.

daisy rei
November 11th, 2018, 01:34 PM
Why are you creating so many new threads? :confused: These topics have been covered and can easily be found using the search bar. There is already enough content on this website without people starting and continuing duplicate threads. :p

lapushka
November 11th, 2018, 02:01 PM
What is your experience with natural shampoos? And do they make your hair grow longer quicker

That is such an odd question to ask. Why would they make your hair grow longer quicker?

No. Just: no.

There is nothing wrong with drugstore shampoos. There's choices in the drugstore however, between sulfate shampoos and sulfate-free shampoos. And then there's even CO-washes with a mild detergent (still a *little* different than using a conditioner to wash, but that is an option too).

Check out the methods for washing here as well.

gossamer
November 11th, 2018, 02:13 PM
I use drugstore shampoo and conditioner and I haven't noticed any issues with my hair growth. ;)

lapushka
November 11th, 2018, 02:25 PM
I use drugstore shampoo and conditioner and I haven't noticed any issues with my hair growth. ;)

Best proof ever that drugstore stuff = fine. :)

Crazylazy34
November 11th, 2018, 02:47 PM
It’s just because I’ve been watching Videos about natural hair care and they state that using natural ingredients makes their hair grow longer faster because it doesn’t contain all unnatural ingredients I dunno maybe I’m just reading in to it all too much my hair seem less to have stopped in growth since this condition has happened maybe it’s something internal I dunno

Ylva
November 11th, 2018, 02:50 PM
It’s just because I’ve been watching Videos about natural hair care and they state that using natural ingredients makes their hair grow longer faster because it doesn’t contain all unnatural ingredients I dunno maybe I’m just reading in to it all too much my hair seem less to have stopped in growth since this condition has happened maybe it’s something internal I dunno

It might be their perception, but they probably started doing something else at the same time, like scalp massages, which actually do aid in hair growth. Or they just have affiliate links handy in the description boxes of those videos.

blackgothicdoll
November 11th, 2018, 02:55 PM

Be very, very careful with YouTube videos. I want to punch a kitten anytime I see someone post a video that is just an echo of what 15 other YTers have posted, after about 30 seconds of research on google and no truly scientifically backed claims. Of course, not all YTers are satan, but a lot of them are in it for the views, sponsorships and money. I truly think the best way to find out about your hair is to try things on your own and decide what you like.

What condition are you speaking of? Did I miss a post?

lapushka
November 11th, 2018, 02:59 PM
Be very, very careful with YouTube videos. I want to punch a kitten anytime I see someone post a video that is just an echo of what 15 other YTers have posted, after about 30 seconds of research on google and no truly scientifically backed claims. Of course, not all YTers are satan, but a lot of them are in it for the views, sponsorships and money. I truly think the best way to find out about your hair is to try things on your own and decide what you like.

What condition are you speaking of? Did I miss a post?

She has SD (seborrheic dermatitis), it's in the WO thread she just posted. :)

Crazylazy34
November 11th, 2018, 03:05 PM
I have a condition similar to sd but it is slightly different in the fact that I don’t get flakes and he flakes I do get are not noticeable basically itchy inflamed patches of skin on my scalp with hair loss and small spots I know it is some type of excema whether it is sebhoreic dermatitis I don’t know but I’ve had 3 different diagnoses for it and no one seems to know what it is it comes and gos and tends to flair up when ever my health is bad

cjk
November 11th, 2018, 03:06 PM
It’s just because I’ve been watching Videos about natural hair care and they state that using natural ingredients makes their hair grow longer faster

Ah, there we go.

It's not actually, but treat YouTube videos as you would advertising. Use MyPillow because all other pillows will prevent a good nights sleep. Only Pilgrim's Pride chicken is edible because others all contain antibiotics. And so forth.

View them all with a grain of salt. You're asking decent questions, your goal should be to get informed.

But a little common sense will work too.

Assume drug store shampoos caused hair loss. How long would it be before they got sued out of existence? If there is even any truth to that claim, it's for such a microscopically small number of people that it's a non issue.

When viewed, broadly, they're perfectly safe.

Be an informed consumer. But just keep in mind that at their most basic level, shampoos are detergents. The idea isn't to make your hair healthy, it is to remove contaminants...which is supportive of maintained health.

Once you take that step back, view it in the broader sense, it changes your perspective just a bit. Hopefully in a way you'll find helpful.

Crazylazy34
November 11th, 2018, 03:07 PM
I have a condition similar to sd but it is slightly different in the fact that I don’t get flakes and he flakes I do get are not noticeable basically itchy inflamed patches of skin on my scalp with hair loss and small spots I know it is some type of excema whether it is sebhoreic dermatitis I don’t know but I’ve had 3 different diagnoses for it and no one seems to know what it is it comes and gos and tends to flair up when ever my health is bad so I’ve just assumed it is sd

Crazylazy34
November 11th, 2018, 03:33 PM
My diagnoses were psoriasis folliculitis and sd I know it isn’t an allergy because I’ve used nearly every type of shampoo over the years and it has still been there also have used medicated shampoo from doctors when bad but recently haven’t had a bad episode of it so am wondering if it is sd at all

blackgothicdoll
November 11th, 2018, 03:43 PM
My diagnoses were psoriasis folliculitis and sd I know it isn’t an allergy because I’ve used nearly every type of shampoo over the years and it has still been there also have used medicated shampoo from doctors when bad but recently haven’t had a bad episode of it so am wondering if it is sd at all

If the medicated shampoo worked, why not use that? Or if you still have the bottle, check the ingredients and use products with similar active ingredients (though they won't have the same percentage as I'm assuming the shampoo is prescription strength).

Crazylazy34
November 11th, 2018, 03:48 PM
It’s just because it contains some questionable ingredients that I’ve read online that are bad for you but I guess I think I’m just reading too much in to things

illicitlizard
November 11th, 2018, 04:00 PM
It's really easy to fall for the scaremongering natural side of the internet, but lots of the ideas about what is and isn't bad for you especially from youtubers with no scientific background is ill informed at best, actively pursuing an agenda (usually to sell their own affiliated ~natural~ product) at worst.

If you have a scalp condition that was helped by a specific type of shampoo, I would seriously keep using that thing. If it works it works, if it doesn't then start wondering why it doesn't work and eliminating ingredients. But you've mentioned using many shampoos over the years with no change in your scalp condition, so likely you're fine.

Also as Lapushka mentioned, there are options at the drugstore for sulfate/cone free more 'natural' products. I use sulfate and cone free products (not to say sulfates or cones are bad, but one needs sulfates to prevent cone buildup and my skin is really sensitive to sulfates) from the drugstore and they work just fine.

And of course back to the initial question, no. A change in shampoo won't change your growth rate. If a shampoo works for you and it's full of 'unnatural' ingredients keep using it.

MusicalSpoons
November 11th, 2018, 04:20 PM
It’s just because it contains some questionable ingredients that I’ve read online that are bad for you but I guess I think I’m just reading too much in to things

I'm going to refer you to what I posted on your other thread, in complete agreement with illicitlizard.

Firstly, don't panic!

Secondly, take time to learn about different ingredients instead of just being scared of them - but be really careful where you look for info and how much you believe everything you read, because there is *SO* much misinformation out there trying to scare people into buying more expensive stuff. LHC is a good place to look up some of this stuff because opinions are challenged and often links posted to back up statements will be called out if they're unreliable. Other great sites include science-yhairblog and TheBeautyBrains.

By the way, very few if any shampoos are truly natural! Even if the ingredients are derived from plants, they've still been processed to conform to strict specifications to ensure consistency of the product, so the natural source is virtually irrelevant The only way to go truly natural would be to wash using herbs or other natural ingredients such as different types of flour, which is often a long journey of experimentation until you hit on a routine that works for you, or give up. (I haven't done it myself, just pointing out the difference between claiming to be natural and actually being natural.)

lapushka
November 11th, 2018, 04:36 PM
If the medicated shampoo works, use it. If SD is left untreated it can cause hair loss and that is far *worse* than being afraid of ingredients. I use Nizoral 2% when things get bad and I use it happily - nothing wrong with it at all.

lucid
November 11th, 2018, 06:06 PM
Natural products aren't necessarily safer than synthetic products. Natural isn't necessarily healthy, and it can even be dangerous. I wouldn't listen to people who claim natural ingredients are better just because they're natural.