PDA

View Full Version : Have any of you guys tried water only washing?

Crazylazy34
November 11th, 2018, 12:07 PM
I would really like to try water only washing but am scared to incase my hair smells or I get painful spots on my scalp when I move my hair because I tried this once when I had long hair but I ended up getting sebhoreic dermatitis instead and now that I have short hair and my scalp seems to be ok for now do you think I should try it. If I just use my fingers to scrub my scalp or perhaps make a scalp scrub with oils/ something not greasy to increase hair growth/ health of my scalp have any of you guys tried a scalp scrub. Currently I have using a very harsh shampoo with sls perfume and all other unnecessary chemicals, I just worry because I heard that your scalp is extension of you face skin and knowing that I know that I wouldn’t use that shampoo to clean my face if it were a face cleanser so what should I use instead? I can’t afford to buy expensive sulphate free shampoos but I don’t know what else to do I’ve tried using a soap bar but I found that left a discusting waxy residue on my scalp the only thing I can think of is diluting the shampoo to make it less harsh what do you guys suggest? Anyway most of the time I’ve seen people wash their hair with soap bars their hair looks stuck together and dull. I don’t want to use apple sider vinegar and baking soda because over time that breaks down your hair really badly. Anyone have any ideas, I have naturally wavy fine hair but lots of it I’m slowly running out of hope what about just vinegar to wash hair would that actually clean it though?

guska
November 11th, 2018, 12:52 PM
Hi :)

First things first: I don't know much about seborrheic dermatitis, but please don't attempt any DIY's without asking your doctor, even if you SD got better. We don't want the thing to relapse or get worse, right? ;) Some people with SD have to use shampoos with sulfates, but my knowledge about SD ends there, so maybe someone else could explain better.

I used the water only method for a year, last year. It worked really well, but I needed something slightly heavier for my dry skin and scalp, so I switched back to CO, my favourite washing method. I did try going back to WO this year, but felt that water couldn't thoroughly cleanse my scalp and hair.

Margarita
November 11th, 2018, 12:54 PM
I've tried once only water-washing but i didnt see much good difference. My hair is desperate for moisture so only water wont bring all the benefits at once.

Crazylazy34
November 11th, 2018, 01:05 PM
I don’t see my doctor often tbh, I’m not actually sure what my scalp condition is, I’ve had two different diagnoses but what i do know is that when it’s at its worst certain areas of my scalp get inflamed and itchy, this usually happens when I eat certain foods or haven’t slept very well, now I don’t have many flakes but they flakes are do have aren’t noticeable tiny and white sometimes yellow but very rarely I think I may have just excema of the scalp but I’m not sure see it all happened at the same time I tried the no pop method when I was younger. I also had very sore spots on my scalp that now only flair up at certain times but are not sore anymore it is all very odd to me

cjk
November 11th, 2018, 01:13 PM
Okay, a few points.

When you had long hair? What've you got now? And what are your goals?

Cleansing your hair and scalp can be done many ways. Soaps, detergents, and surfactants are common, but not the only choices. Most contaminants like dust are easily removed with water only.

A clarifying wash is typically done with a seriously aggressive product, Dawn dish soap is actually pretty common. One wash, to strip off any residues, and "reset" the surface of your hair.

After your hair is cleansed, how you proceed from there is up to you. I did water only for over a year, but as my curls got more pronounced my hair required more moisture so I started co-washing. Yes, conditioner can be used to wash your hair, in lieu of shampoo.

The only concern I have is your mention of SD. That changes things. Water isn't likely to harm you but the neglect, benign though it may be, might be a problem. Listen to your body, pay it attention, and let us know what you decide.

Ylva
November 11th, 2018, 01:25 PM
There's a whole thread here for water only washing, here it is: https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=145310

Maybe you find some valuable information there.

Crazylazy34
November 11th, 2018, 01:26 PM
I’ve got a buzz cut now lol but am slowly but steadily growing it out I just think with the way my hair is now is it really worth even washing it or should I just leave it be ?

cjk
November 11th, 2018, 01:32 PM
I started from razored. In truth, razoring my scalp was the best thing I ever did for its health, the exfoliation was amazing. Plus, sunshine and air are incredibly healing.

At your length I used a washcloth to scrub my scalp, but did water only. Made the decision while I was growing back. But, as I said earlier, you mentioned SD. I don't have that.

You seem to be obsessing, it's the same thing I did. Once you get into a working routine, and relax into the process, it becomes very enjoyable.

lapushka
November 11th, 2018, 02:05 PM
There's a thread on SD here as well (before you start a new one); you might want to check that out first, *and* consult with your doctor. Here it is:
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=54045

WO isn't for everyone.

Stray_mind
November 11th, 2018, 02:09 PM
I agree, check with your doctor, but i also would suggest to Not do WO if you have SD.

I have tried WO for a couple of times, but i figured i like having my scalp squeeky clean, so i stuck to classic shampoo and conditioner, lol.

SwanFeathers
November 11th, 2018, 07:35 PM
I have a similar texture/type as you and I tried WO for about 3 mo in the summer. I've never had SD so not sure I can help there, but my experience was a good one. My scalp calmed down and my hair was compliant and much less tangle prone. During that time I preened and brushed with a clean BBB daily (I bought 5) and my hair was amazing. I only washed about every 2 wks to rinse out allergens ( I have really dry scalp) When the weather turned I needed more deep treatments and returned to oils and seriously stretched sulfate-free washes.

EdG
November 11th, 2018, 10:18 PM
I diluted my shampoo for years before going water-only. This is really a continuum. Diluted shampoo seems to work for more people than water-only.
Ed

Simsy
November 12th, 2018, 05:42 AM
Tried it as a kid; my hair got grumpy and dry. Tried it as a teenager; my hair objected, tangled, matted, and refused point blank to play at all. I have come to accept that my hair prefers products.

bokeh
November 16th, 2018, 07:05 PM
I like to switch things up so I will WO occasionally, especially if my hair has been washed recently and I need to wash away some sweat after a workout. I've tried it for longer periods of time but my scalp objects.