PDA

View Full Version : First winter

reilly0167
November 11th, 2018, 08:36 AM
Hello everyone, its been awhile since i been here. I no longer live in florida and i now live in St. Louis, MO, for a month now. So this is my very first winter ( lived florida for 22 years) so i notice my hair is not taking it very well. I have 3c curly hair which i baby to death, and i henna my roots about every three months or so, thanks to this community and the curly hair community. Im enjoying the season change but my hair is a spoiled diva, teehee. Has anyone had to alter their routine? Amp up on the deep conditioning? Suggestions greatly appreciated.

browneyedsusan
November 11th, 2018, 10:32 AM
I grew up in Michigan, where it's a little colder than here in Indiana. The only thing I do differently in winter is keep my ends "warm" if it gets cold. Hair ends can freeze pretty quickly when they're out in the air, so they stay inside my jacket or bunned close to my head. :) I don't know for a fact that freezing bothers hair, but imagine that is isn't good for it?

reilly0167
November 11th, 2018, 11:25 AM
I grew up in Michigan, where it's a little colder than here in Indiana. The only thing I do differently in winter is keep my ends "warm" if it gets cold. Hair ends can freeze pretty quickly when they're out in the air, so they stay inside my jacket or bunned close to my head. :) I don't know for a fact that freezing bothers hair, but imagine that is isn't good for it?

I believe it can, thats my concern, i was thinking perhaps shea butter would protect them.

Dark40
November 11th, 2018, 04:49 PM
I grew up in Georgia, where it gets warmer down deep south. I was your next door neighbor from Florida! Yeah, when you move to another state or climate your hair to have to adjust. I think no matter where you live you should Amp up the deep conditioning! I love deep conditioning my hair and keeping it well-moisturized! :)

Arciela
November 11th, 2018, 05:16 PM
I lived in Southern California for a long time..then had to move to Manhattan NYC while my BF is attending University so I had to change up my routine for sure for the winter here..but its nothing too crazy :)

I just do more deep treatments, I use a really moisturizing conditioner (Yes to Coconuts with Argan Oil) and usually leave in at least half of it. After showering while my hair is soaking wet I add some vatika coconut oil or on really dry days I use Nightbloomings Panacea (That stuff is magical!) and finish off with LA looks gel. With that stuff my hair stays pretty well moisturized even in the driest winter months. :flower:

reilly0167
November 11th, 2018, 07:47 PM
I grew up in Georgia, where it gets warmer down deep south. I was your next door neighbor from Florida! Yeah, when you move to another state or climate your hair to have to adjust. I think no matter where you live you should Amp up the deep conditioning! I love deep conditioning my hair and keeping it well-moisturized! :)

Howdy neighbor (was) lol, im planning to amp up the deep conditioning, seal my ends with butters, my hair can handle butters. once in awhile i put it in a bun, but im weird, i get into the bun stage then i look matronly after awhile lol. I like it wild more. Its an adjustment alright, it gonna be a month here in Missouri=)

Julescarm
November 11th, 2018, 11:23 PM
Welcome to missouri! I'm in Mnt Grove Missouri, from N Cali and have spent extended times in Florida. Moisture is the way to go. Were expected to get more snow than other years, here. Its been sparse winters but very cold. Having the heater constantly on will dry ends. I have Fine wavy hair but the new growth gets frizzed alot. The weather changes quickly so be prepared for anything. Moisture in hair is still the best. I noticed this year I've needed to moisturize alot more often and were not half way through November.

Sora Rose
November 12th, 2018, 02:43 AM
I live in Canada - Ontario and now the Maritimes - and never had any *real* problems with winter other than figuring out how to put a hat on my head and over my bun and hairstick - which is a true trial. I've walked a fair distance in a blizzard, frozen my bangs from my breath's condensation, defrosted it at a fireplace, and even exposed all of it to the winter cold on many, many occasions. As a kid I'd even lie on the snow with my hair draping over it, which now makes me shudder. I didn't notice any damage in spite of all that even if I look real close at old pictures (but I wasn't paying attention really) and had hip length hair.

That said, upping the conditioner is a really good idea. I don't use much more conditioner in the winter, but I do have to put some conditioner on the back of my head or my buns will start hurting badly because of dryness. Never have to do that in the summer :shrug:

sophia_
November 12th, 2018, 04:36 AM
I used to live in Wisconsin and the only thing I noticed a problem with was static causing tangles, which can be fixed by keeping your hair up/braided. You might not want to go outside with wet hair, I did that a few times and it froze, lol. I do have an oily scalp and I've never had problems with moisture. I live in the ozarks now and it hardly ever snows significantly or gets to the same temperatures here. I really don't think winter is as big of a deal as its made out to be, lol.

browneyedsusan
November 12th, 2018, 06:03 AM
I used to live in Wisconsin and the only thing I noticed a problem with was static causing tangles, which can be fixed by keeping your hair up/braided. You might not want to go outside with wet hair, I did that a few times and it froze, lol. I do have an oily scalp and I've never had problems with moisture. I live in the ozarks now and it hardly ever snows significantly or gets to the same temperatures here. I really don't think winter is as big of a deal as its made out to be, lol.

I agree.
In my head, cold isn't a big deal. It seems like the arid desert would be harder on hair. (My skin was super dry when I visited, and I even got a nosebleed!) I think you just learn how to deal with what you've got, and it becomes "normal" for you. When you move, it's a challenge because you don't have the life experience to help you along. What everyone else considers "normal" and "natural" is completely foreign to you because it's new. (You will discover potholes in spring. Many, DEEP potholes! lol!)

reilly0167
November 12th, 2018, 11:40 AM
Welcome to missouri! I'm in Mnt Grove Missouri, from N Cali and have spent extended times in Florida. Moisture is the way to go. Were expected to get more snow than other years, here. Its been sparse winters but very cold. Having the heater constantly on will dry ends. I have Fine wavy hair but the new growth gets frizzed alot. The weather changes quickly so be prepared for anything. Moisture in hair is still the best. I noticed this year I've needed to moisturize alot more often and were not half way through November.
It starting to snow here, and its cold. Its been 22 years since i seen snow or be in cold weather. Soooo, i will be moisture, moisture, moisture.=)

Dark40
November 12th, 2018, 12:16 PM
Howdy neighbor (was) lol, im planning to amp up the deep conditioning, seal my ends with butters, my hair can handle butters. once in awhile i put it in a bun, but im weird, i get into the bun stage then i look matronly after awhile lol. I like it wild more. Its an adjustment alright, it gonna be a month here in Missouri=)

Howdy neighbor (was) lol, Ok, because I know for me during the wintere months my hair tends to get drier than it does in the summer. That's because in Georgia the humidity is on the low and dry side rather than on the humid side. Oh, I've never tried butters on my hair. I've been wanting to try one. Especially, the one from Garnier Fructis. I've been wanting to try the Garnier Fructis Damage Eraser Butter. There are some wonderful reviews about that product! Yeah, I also always put my hair in a bun too, especially at night. No, you're not weird. I bet you do look matronly after awhile lol. I also like wild thick hair too. I bet it is an adjustment for you. Well, you've just moved there within a month.:) You'll be fine.

reilly0167
November 15th, 2018, 11:02 AM
Howdy neighbor (was) lol, Ok, because I know for me during the wintere months my hair tends to get drier than it does in the summer. That's because in Georgia the humidity is on the low and dry side rather than on the humid side. Oh, I've never tried butters on my hair. I've been wanting to try one. Especially, the one from Garnier Fructis. I've been wanting to try the Garnier Fructis Damage Eraser Butter. There are some wonderful reviews about that product! Yeah, I also always put my hair in a bun too, especially at night. No, you're not weird. I bet you do look matronly after awhile lol. I also like wild thick hair too. I bet it is an adjustment for you. Well, you've just moved there within a month.:) You'll be fine.

Yup, still adjusting here, lol. I am gonna keep my hair in braids for awhile. Curly hair can be a pain to maintain and i certainly dont want to keep washing it or freshen it and diffuse. So today i washed, deep conditioned, oiled and now its in dutch braids. Its snowing and im staying in, but when i go out, I'll tuck the ends =) a protective style for now.