PDA

View Full Version : process of "No Trim"

HaIr_freak
November 11th, 2018, 07:45 AM
Hi everyone,

I have been hearing a lot about "No Trim" and I've been curious about it. If anyone read my previous post, they'll know that I had an incident in which a hairdresser had cut my length when I didn't want he to because she said it was "dead". Anyway, after this experience I really feel like I want to get my length back to what it was and I've been hearing a lot about not trimming at all.

I was kind of indoctrinated with trimming causes it to grow faster, and split ends can cause so much damage that you'll have to chop it off anyway so trimming is better.

Well considering my "trim" turned into a cut and I don't really trust myself that much to trim my own hair besides cutting the very ends of split hairs I find here and there...

what is a way I can keep my ends healthy while attempting this "no trim" thing? Is the trimming making it grow faster thing a myth?

Thanks in advance!:D

MusicalSpoons
November 11th, 2018, 08:31 AM
Trimming to grow faster is a myth for most healthy, well-cared-for hair. It's not entirely a myth for people who regularly use harsh chemicals, high heat, and always wear their hair down - but in that case it's unlikely to grow truly long anyway!

The best way to protect your hair is to wear it up and out of the way of damage. Make sure to use hair-friendly tools to secure it such as a hairstick or hair fork, or clips/pins that have no sharp edges or anything to snag on your hair. The Hairstyle Thesaurus (https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=145554) is a great place to start, and buns are usually the most protective style for people (not always - there are a few people whose hair is an exception and doesn't do well in buns - but usually). There are other things you can do but I don't have the brainpower to think of them right now!

Basically, if you can prevent split ends by keeping them safe from damage, you will fare better with not trimming than if you just wear your hair down all the time :)

CopperButterfly
November 11th, 2018, 08:47 AM
I agree with musical spoons. I was rather skeptical of not trimming, but I'm in one of the no trim challenges, and as I've learned to protect my hair, mostly by wearing it up all the time, and wetting my ends less frequently, my ends have stayed very nice. There have been times I go to s&d, but end up only doing the s part because I don't find any

There are some on here who don't trim for years. I personally like to trim every 9 months or so just to keep an even hemline, since hair grows at different rates.

If you want to really go for no trimming, learn to embrace the fairy tale ends, which are perfectly healthy, just different lengths.

Join the no trim challenge for the first half of 2019 to start yourself off and see how you feel about your ends at the end of the challenge.

Good luck.

lapushka
November 11th, 2018, 08:59 AM
Agree with MusicalSpoons. If you are doing chemicals, dyes, etc. then yes: do trim regularly.

But, hair that is virgin and in good condition hardly needs a trim. I last trimmed November 2016 when my hair was hip. My hair is FTL right now and we are November 2018. It's fine.

You can S&D (search & destroy) individual splits off, that is totally allowed. Please do read the first post on the no-trimming challenges carefully if you are wanting to join. It's a short post but it says it all.

That trimming often makes your hair grow is a myth. It only makes your hair shorter.

I would try and join a no-trimming challenge, you can join the halves too, in which you can trim half the year.

Good luck! :flower:

sugar&nutmeg
November 11th, 2018, 12:48 PM
I'm not involved in any no-trim challenges, but I have not trimmed my hair since June 2017. That's 17 months.

I'd been growing out a pixie for about 2 years. In June '17, I cut away the last of the really 'mullet'-y layers, leaving me with close-enough-to-blunt hair about CBL. I haven't trimmed since, and my hair is still fairly blunt, and past BSL.

I have no intention of trimming 'just to trim'. I do prefer a fairly blunt hem, so too much fairytaling (there's none yet) might be the only reason I'd trim.

I have bangs/fringe, which I do trim myself. It's a good way to tell that my hair is growing, because the longer it gets (though in no way LHC 'long'), the more difficult it becomes for me to notice the small increases in length. I refuse to get into actual measuring. That's just not how I want to think about my hair. ymmv

I wear my hair up a lot of the time, and braid it for bed. I have virgin untreated hair and, knock wood, have almost zero split ends. Plenty of fly-aways from new growth, but I just don't care about those. :)

No trim is just another plus of my benign neglect mindset!

WyntreBlossom
November 11th, 2018, 04:13 PM
Even if your hair has been treated sometimes a trim isn't totally necessary. Example: I used box dye for the last time a year ago in october 2017 and haven't trimmed my hair in over 1 year and 6 months.
I have not S &D, Microtrimmed, or trimmed since april 2017.

I attempted a S & D for the first time this week and found no white dots, no damage, no breakage. In fact the only thing "wrong" with my hair was it was a bit dryer than normal due to the winter fast approaching and a quick condition + oil treatment fixed that right away!

Trimming your hair (as long as it is moderately healthy) with hinder growth, not help it in most cases.

I agree with everyone here. Keep your hair in protective styles, use softer, natural products, and overall just treat it well and it will grow for you.

Dark40
November 11th, 2018, 04:25 PM
I agree with WyntrelBlossom. I only trim my hair whenever there is a need, and the majority of the times I do s&d's, and dustings. That's not too often either. Because, I take good care of my hair, and where it in protective styles. I haven't trimmed my hair in 6 months. I usually trim it once or twice a year. I'm on the, "No Trimming Challenges." Yes, trimming your often for it to grow longer is a myth.

HaIr_freak
November 11th, 2018, 07:09 PM
Hey everyone!
This has been quite the insight, thank you! I have virgin hair,I don't even use heat on it except for rare occasions where I want to curl it or something for an event (again, rare). Anyway, it is quite fun to see this No Trim thread! I think this is going to be my next step.

My BIGGEST bad habits are that
1) I keep my hair down and putting it up causes headaches :(
2) sometimes I sleep with my hair wet...

otherwise I guess well see what happens!

WyntreBlossom
November 11th, 2018, 08:28 PM
Hey everyone!
This has been quite the insight, thank you! I have virgin hair,I don't even use heat on it except for rare occasions where I want to curl it or something for an event (again, rare). Anyway, it is quite fun to see this No Trim thread! I think this is going to be my next step.

Good luck <3 sleeping on wet hair is a bad habit to have, and I had it for years but broke it about 2 years ago finally. As for headaches with hair up, try some loose styles that don't pull or tug the scalp! If your hair is long enougha really lose english braid might do the trick.

Ylva
November 11th, 2018, 09:06 PM
I personally still sleep with wet hair and I don't consider it such a big hair sin. It'll be even less so once I get into the habit of using satin pillowcases. I think it's better than putting my hair up when wet and it drying very very slowly or having it under clothes experiencing friction when wet. There are so much worse things one can do to their hair than that, in my opinion, but each to their own, and of course it's good to try and eliminate all bad things.

CrowningGlory
November 11th, 2018, 09:54 PM
Hey everyone!

I used to always get headaches with my hair up, too, until I discovered hair sticks and forks. They just distribute weight so much better and have made it so much easier to wear my hair up. Sticks and forks are very popular around here because they really do work.

But if you can't do updos, try braids. I have the problem that after a few hours with my hair in a braid, it starts to pull and I have sore spots on my scalp, but that's just me.

bokeh
November 15th, 2018, 08:14 PM
It's good to know that regular trims are not necessary. I'm going to keep an eye out for split ends and as long as I don't see any I'll avoid having my hair cut for as long as I can get away with it!