PDA

View Full Version : Hair stiff from protein - what are my options?

Ylva
November 9th, 2018, 08:59 PM
I may have gotten too much protein in my hair this wash. I used my usual protein conditioner which my hair LOVES, and usually while drying my hair goes through this hardened period, but when dry, it's not like that anymore. Now some of my hair is actually staying stiff while nearing dryness. This has never happened before and I've used that exact conditioner for months. What should I do? Washing my hair again is not really an option, because we are having our well water disinfected with a lot of chlorine and it can't be used to wash hair or as drinking water for a couple of days. What other options do I have? How should I go about the stiff hair that sticks together?

Aaand... This might go without saying, but I'm guessing I should skip the protein next wash? :D

Obsidian
November 9th, 2018, 09:18 PM
Are you able to oil your hair for a couple days? When I overload on protein, I oil overnight, do a deep conditioning the next day followed by a clarifying wash. I would definitely lay off the protein conditioner for a couple weeks and maybe only use it every 2-3 washes after that.

Ylva
November 9th, 2018, 09:26 PM
Are you able to oil your hair for a couple days? When I overload on protein, I oil overnight, do a deep conditioning the next day followed by a clarifying wash. I would definitely lay off the protein conditioner for a couple weeks and maybe only use it every 2-3 washes after that.

I am able to do that, yeah. I suppose coconut oil is not the oil to go for in this case, since it mimics protein? I have others, too. Can do argan or olive oil, for example. I will wait for my hair to get 100% dry, as it is still a bit damp here and there, and that definitely amplifies the stiffness. In the past it has always softened once dry. However, I started to get worried when I noticed stiffness at my ROOT and that area always dries really quickly. It's still stiff there.

Yeah, from now on I will definitely be more careful with it. I'm just so surprised that I experienced this now after using that product for months, pretty much on every wash!

priinnz
November 9th, 2018, 10:22 PM
You could also try the SMT.. its intensely moisturizing.

Ylva
November 9th, 2018, 10:26 PM
You could also try the SMT.. its intensely moisturizing.

I can't wash my hair for maybe two, three days to come, so a wet treatment like that is out of question.

Obsidian
November 9th, 2018, 10:46 PM
I would go with the argan. Its lightest and seems to absorb well. My last protein treatment didn't go well, I had weird stiff hair for a few washes. Eventually with enough washing and moisture, it bounced back.

Jo Ann
November 9th, 2018, 11:04 PM
I would definitely go with the argan oil.

Do you have any water, say, in a spray bottle? Maybe spritzing some water on your hair first, then oiling it to retain that moisture would work better.

YvetteVarie
November 10th, 2018, 01:44 AM

Do you have any water, say, in a spray bottle? Maybe spritzing some water on your hair first, then oiling it to retain that moisture would work better.

I second this idea. It won't take much water, and will reintroduce water quickly. With the oil, I think just use the oil that keeps your hair feeling moisturised normally. I have had bad experiences with light oils such as olive oil, and can't offer much advice on that

TreesOfEternity
November 10th, 2018, 04:38 AM
I would damp lightly my hair, apply a little bit of aloe Vera gel for some moisture to counteract the protein affect and seal with jojoba oil which always makes my hair soft after a protein treatment.

lapushka
November 10th, 2018, 07:35 AM
Do you have bottled water on hand, in any case? If not get a few bottles and re-wet and moisturize. No way this can wait for 3 days. At least that's MO. Stiff hair can break off more easily. :(

nycelle
November 10th, 2018, 10:39 AM
Is the oiling you did the other day from coconut oil? I'm wondering if between that and the protein treatment it was too much.

I would not add oil in at this point, just use a moisturizing protein free deep conditioner. My hair doesn't like too much protein.
So when I've gone overboard, that's what I do and it brings my hair back to "almost" normal. Unfortunately, it takes a few washes with protein free products for it to return it itself.

Ylva
November 10th, 2018, 12:35 PM
Thank you all so much for taking the time to reply.

I would go with the argan. Its lightest and seems to absorb well. My last protein treatment didn't go well, I had weird stiff hair for a few washes. Eventually with enough washing and moisture, it bounced back.

I forgot that I also had sweet almond, would that be better than argan? I remember that it's said to be good at softening the hair.

I second this idea. It won't take much water, and will reintroduce water quickly. With the oil, I think just use the oil that keeps your hair feeling moisturised normally. I have had bad experiences with light oils such as olive oil, and can't offer much advice on that

Do you have bottled water on hand, in any case? If not get a few bottles and re-wet and moisturize. No way this can wait for 3 days. At least that's MO. Stiff hair can break off more easily. :(

I do, actually! I thought ahead for once and saved some usable water in a spray bottle. Thank you for the tip!

I would damp lightly my hair, apply a little bit of aloe Vera gel for some moisture to counteract the protein affect and seal with jojoba oil which always makes my hair soft after a protein treatment.

Unfortunately I don't have pure aloe vera gel or jojoba oil at hand.

Is the oiling you did the other day from coconut oil? I'm wondering if between that and the protein treatment it was too much.

I would not add oil in at this point, just use a moisturizing protein free deep conditioner. My hair doesn't like too much protein.
So when I've gone overboard, that's what I do and it brings my hair back to "almost" normal. Unfortunately, it takes a few washes with protein free products for it to return it itself.

My most recent oiling was olive oil, but before that (prior to a wash) I used coconut oil.

Unfortunately a conditioning treatment is out of question, as I can't wash my hair for 2-3 days. But when I can wash my hair, I will stay away from protein for a while.

lapushka
November 10th, 2018, 01:13 PM
I do, actually! I thought ahead for once and saved some usable water in a spray bottle. Thank you for the tip!

You're welcome. If you try it, I hope it works well. Maybe if it's a spray bottle, just misting it damp and using a leave-in might work? Or just a regular conditioner (no protein) if you don't have that on hand.

Ylva
November 10th, 2018, 01:43 PM
You're welcome. If you try it, I hope it works well. Maybe if it's a spray bottle, just misting it damp and using a leave-in might work? Or just a regular conditioner (no protein) if you don't have that on hand.

I have some protein-free leave-in, yeah. I will try it.

Now after I slept on my hair and it has dried, I carefully dabbed on the stuck together clumps of hair and they are somewhat separating. Maybe it's more of a matter of protein conditioner being left in the hair rather than protein overload? I don't know. Either way, I will be protein free next wash and see from there.

lapushka
November 10th, 2018, 03:12 PM
I have some protein-free leave-in, yeah. I will try it.

Now after I slept on my hair and it has dried, I carefully dabbed on the stuck together clumps of hair and they are somewhat separating. Maybe it's more of a matter of protein conditioner being left in the hair rather than protein overload? I don't know. Either way, I will be protein free next wash and see from there.

Hope it goes well; good luck to you! :flower:

TheMandaRose
November 10th, 2018, 03:19 PM
Last time I put egg in my hair it did this exact same thing. The last time I used egg was also my first so either my hair doesn't like protein or doesn't need it. Aaannnddd since coconut oil simulates protein maybe that's why my hair doesn't like coconut oil?
Could the protein overload on my hair be from frequent henna treatments? Henna made my hair feel fantastic at first but after a year of using it, it felt fried. Wondering now how interconnected it all is now...?

Ylva
November 10th, 2018, 05:15 PM
Hope it goes well; good luck to you! :flower:

Thank you very much! :)

Last time I put egg in my hair it did this exact same thing. The last time I used egg was also my first so either my hair doesn't like protein or doesn't need it. Aaannnddd since coconut oil simulates protein maybe that's why my hair doesn't like coconut oil?
Could the protein overload on my hair be from frequent henna treatments? Henna made my hair feel fantastic at first but after a year of using it, it felt fried. Wondering now how interconnected it all is now...?

I'm no expert on henna, but to my understanding, it does something like make the hair less porous or something like that. Perhaps your less porous hair doesn't appreciate protein the same way it used to, since it's not needed to fill in the gaps anymore?

Dark40
November 10th, 2018, 05:20 PM
I second everybody's advice about the re-weting with water bottles and the oil. But for the next few washes lay off the protein for 2 or 3 weeks. It a use a heavy protein conditioner I only use it once a month. If it's a light one then I can use it once a week. What I do is use a light protein/moisture balance conditioner, and I don't have an issues with protein overload.

Ylva
November 10th, 2018, 05:24 PM
I second everybody's advice about the re-weting with water bottles and the oil. But for the next few washes lay off the protein for 2 or 3 weeks. It a use a heavy protein conditioner I only use it once a month. If it's a light one then I can use it once a week. What I do is use a light protein/moisture balance conditioner, and I don't have an issues with protein overload.

Yeah, it's just weird that I have been using this particular conditioner for MONTHS, literally on like 95% of my washes. So I am inclined to think that it was something else in the end that caused this.

Dark40
November 10th, 2018, 05:29 PM
Yeah, it's just weird that I have been using this particular conditioner for MONTHS, literally on like 95% of my washes. So I am inclined to think that it was something else in the end that caused this.

Awwww, I'm so sorry that's been happening to you. No, I think this has happened to you because of the protein overload.

Ylva
November 10th, 2018, 05:45 PM
Awwww, I'm so sorry that's been happening to you. No, I think this has happened to you because of the protein overload.

I have some reasons to doubt that. My hair generally LOVES protein and actually cannot function without it, and I wrote this above:

Dark40
November 11th, 2018, 04:10 PM
I have some reasons to doubt that. My hair generally LOVES protein and actually cannot function without it, and I wrote this above:

My hair also LOVES protein too and cannot function without it. Because of all the things I do it. I'm confused. :confused:

Ylva
November 11th, 2018, 04:11 PM
My hair also LOVES protein too and cannot function without it. Because of all the things I do it. I'm confused. :confused:

What are you confused about? :)

Dark40
November 11th, 2018, 04:30 PM
What are you confused about? :)

When you said you doubt that it was a protein overload making your ends stick together. I don't know or understand what could be making your ends do that. :)

Ylva
November 11th, 2018, 04:50 PM
When you said you doubt that it was a protein overload making your ends stick together. I don't know or understand what could be making your ends do that. :)

Like I explained in the quotation; protein conditioner being left over in my hair and rather the conditioner itself causing it to stick together and harden. :)

Dark40
November 11th, 2018, 04:53 PM
Like I explained in the quotation; protein conditioner being left over in my hair and rather the conditioner itself causing it to stick together and harden. :)

Yes, I read your quotation and now I understand it. :)

Arciela
November 11th, 2018, 05:06 PM

I agree with this! I actually left my hair (and it is quite strong and healthy) with a protein overload on it for 3 days and a lot broke off :( This was a while ago though! My suggestion is to clarify it out and then just use protein free for a little bit! That is what I did and my hair went back to shiny, happy hair :flower: I hope you find something that works! Spraying water on it should help a little too..or maybe wear it up until you can wash it again :flower:

Ylva
November 11th, 2018, 05:48 PM
I agree with this! I actually left my hair (and it is quite strong and healthy) with a protein overload on it for 3 days and a lot broke off :( This was a while ago though! My suggestion is to clarify it out and then just use protein free for a little bit! That is what I did and my hair went back to shiny, happy hair :flower: I hope you find something that works! Spraying water on it should help a little too..or maybe wear it up until you can wash it again :flower:

Thank you for your input. I was actually able to separate the hairs and brush through it. I did it all very, very gently and carefully, and I didn't lose any more strands than I normally would while brushing. Now, my hair feels sticky and it tangles easily, but I am able to wear it up. Tomorrow I am visiting my father, so I will wash my hair at his place.

Ylva
November 12th, 2018, 03:03 PM
Well, I washed my hair today without protein and it feels so soft right now, so everything seems to be okay again. Thanks again everyone for your replies. :)

lapushka
November 12th, 2018, 03:25 PM
I'm glad it's OK again! :)

Dark40
November 12th, 2018, 07:10 PM
I am so glad that it's back to normal now for you! :) You are very welcome for the advice.