PDA

View Full Version : Weird hair obsessions thread

shelleynyc
November 8th, 2018, 03:55 PM
I think it's safe to say everyone in the LHC is at least a little bit obsessed with hair in general and growing long hair specifically, otherwise they wouldn't be spending time on a forum that was 100% dedicated to hair. :) But what are some specific things you obsess over (or used to obsess over once upon a time) when it comes to hair? When I say "obsess" I mean things you can't stop thinking about or doing. Do you obsess over any weird hair related stuff?

Mine are:
1) I can't stop watching "big chop" videos on youtube, I've probably seen 100+ of them! They are most of the time recorded by black girls with kinky/curly hair that was previously relaxed, and they chop off the relaxed parts when they go natural. I have the exact opposite type of hair - fine straight blonde - so I have obviously never relaxed it, and I honestly have no idea why I like these videos so much.

2) I'm obsessed with the thought of cutting hair and dyeing hair. I have virgin hair now (after a painful awkward transitioning phase) and don't plan on ever dyeing it again, and I am doing a no-trim-challenge so I don't cut it either, but if someone else asks me to help them dye or bleach or cut their hair I get super excited. Maybe I should've become a hair dresser?

3) I love learning about hair problems and how to fix them even when I don't have them myself. I can sit and research how to fix hair that tangles easily, even though my hair doesn't tangle. Or how to cut curly hair, even though I myself have straight hair and have never cut someone with curly hair's locks.

Groovy Granny
November 8th, 2018, 04:17 PM
I think my only and biggest obsession was making sure every hair was in its' place and using hair spray to insure it.

Thankfully as my hair grew longer, I also came to encourage and embrace my natural texture with the help of LHC.

As a fine silver, it was now starting to curl more ...whereas before I tended to be wavy.

With length came new styling options that were more forgiving, as were the removal of my layers.

Now I just style it and let it be, with an occasional dab of serum to help define it or cut frizz and flyaways.

* Sadly....my Mother died with a huge bald spot on the back of her head that needed a clip on hair piece to cover :(
She would use hairspray daily and only brush/shampoo it out once a week at the salon, along with perms and coloring for years = death to her hair, which could stand up to hurricane force winds ;) but it was also thin/see through.

So she was a major influence for the obsession .....and later an inspiration for me to stop the bad habit....and thankfully I brushed it out daily, washed it more often, and didn't use as much spray :p .

shelleynyc
November 8th, 2018, 04:28 PM
I think my only and biggest obsession was making sure every hair was in its' place and using hair spray to insure it.

Thankfully as my hair grew longer, I also came to encourage and embrace my natural texture with the help of LHC.

As a fine silver, it was now starting to curl more ...whereas before I tended to be wavy.

With length came new styling options that were more forgiving, as were the removal of my layers.

Now I just style it and let it be, with an occasional dab of serum to help define it or cut frizz and flyaways.

* Sadly....my Mother died with a huge bald spot on the back of her head that needed a clip on hair piece to cover :(
She would use hairspray daily and only brush/shampoo it out once a week at the salon, along with perms and coloring for years = death to her hair, which could stand up to hurricane force winds ;) but it was also thin/see through.

So she was a major influence for the obsession .....and later an inspiration for me to stop the bad habit....and thankfully I brushed it out daily, washed it more often, and didn't use as much spray :p .

I'm glad you got over your obsession and embraced your natural style! I dyed and bleached my hair frantically between the age of 14-26 (just started transitioning to virgin hair last year) so I don't even know for sure what my natural texture is when it gets longer! Because the chemical damage would just always make my hair straight and frizzy. Now my hair is 100% virign and at chin length and my hair is starting to form some S-waves :) I'm excited to see what it looks like when it gets longer.

Groovy Granny
November 8th, 2018, 04:32 PM
I'm glad you got over your obsession and embraced your natural style! I dyed and bleached my hair frantically between the age of 14-26 (just started transitioning to virgin hair last year) so I don't even know for sure what my natural texture is when it gets longer! Because the chemical damage would just always make my hair straight and frizzy. Now my hair is 100% virign and at chin length and my hair is starting to form some S-waves :) I'm excited to see what it looks like when it gets longer.

Thanks...I'm glad you have virgin hair now :thumbsup:
The texture and typing may change as it lengthens and if you have layers or not.
I can go from 1c sleek in dry air, to 2c curl explosions in humid weather, so it is never boring, and just as curly long as it was at chin length now that I am 95% fine silver :p
Have fun with it :cheer:

lithostoic
November 8th, 2018, 05:05 PM
The only time I obsessed over my hair (besides trichotillomania of course) was from age 14-15. I used a flat iron every day to style my hair! If it didn't look perfect I'd go over the same strand over and over until it did :c I hadn't even heard of heat protectant, if it existed. I never saw it in stores. I also used hairspray every day and shampooed my hair every other day. So completely different from my routine now!

blesseddamozel
November 8th, 2018, 10:47 PM
I LOVE watching shaving videos. However I want to specify- I'm talking about videos where it was the girl's idea (it tends to be a girl or woman in these vids) and she enjoys the process and result. I love seeing the enjoyment of a dramatic transformation and I had my own shaving phase for a while, so it reminds me of the time I enjoyed that look :) However I tend not to indulge in this kind of content very often because it's just too easy to stumble into weird hair ****** video territory. When I wind up finding a video where the person obviously doesn't want to lose their hair I find it extremely upsetting.

Pacific
November 8th, 2018, 11:45 PM
I'm a little bit obsessed with oiling my hair.
I love to massage oil into scalp and hair as a pre wash every other day. It feels so good and relaxing.
I also like watching hair oiling videos.

Stray_mind
November 9th, 2018, 03:01 AM
I am obsessed with hair thickness. Especially at the scalp. Having my scalp skin shine trough my fine and light roots makes me extremely anxious.

I often look at pics of thick hair and wish i had it too...

TreesOfEternity
November 9th, 2018, 04:10 AM
At this point in my journey I can say I’m obsessed with length basically lol, who isn’t. But it comes to the point where I have to measure my hair every month because I have the feeling that it doesn’t grow, even sometimes I feel it way shorter than I was a couple months ago, it drives me crazy.

Removing split ends is becoming an obsession as well, my hair is very prone to have them.

nycelle
November 9th, 2018, 05:41 AM
I'm obsessed with trying new routines. In my defense though, it's because my hair is on the dry side and I'm always looking for ways to get moisture into it. I'm also obsessed with not having frizz, or at least minimal frizz since going cone free.

VenusianMane
November 9th, 2018, 05:44 AM
Oh, I needed this thread

I've been obsessing about haircare and the ideal styling routine for quite some time and more lately, and now I'm beginning to obsess about my hair length, but the specific weird thing I've been obsessed about is brushing my hair
And the reason for that is, when I was unsatisfied with my hair I stumbled upon the curly girl method and I adopted it and haven't looked back since, I kind of thought it was "the only way to deal/care for wavy and curly hair" so I went sulfate and silicone free, and never brushed my hair since, only using a wooden wide tooth comb and only in the shower, and recently started combing also after the shower and before styling, and I only comb or detangle again the next time I wash my hair, so as to not disrupt my wave pattern
My hair never gets really tangled, it's relatively easy to comb through it in the shower, but when it's dry I can never run my hands through it and I thought (still think?) this was the norm for every wavy and curly hair
Upon searching on threads here, someone mentioned the curly method resulted in neatly tangled hair, which is so spot on lol
So, I found out about LHC and started to notice a lot (?) of wavy haired people here comb/brush their hair dry, I was surprised and intrigued, their hair is beautiful
I started to know about wooden wide bristle brushes and boar bristle brushes, and then I get the urge to use them and to brush my hair dry and frequently, it must feel so good to brush through your scalp, I can't stop thinking about it LOL
I started to really like the look of brushed out waves, it's like the hair was a beautiful curtain and the waves are very uniform ethereal ripples in it, it reminds me of fantasy novels and medieval paintings, it's magical
But I don't think I'd like that look on myself, you know? And I get a point where I'm finally really starting to like how my hair looks like after washing and styling it, so it's kind of frustrating to start thinking about changing that now
And I suspect that my hair would get really frizzy if I brushed it, so :shrug:

But yet, despite of being happy with my current routine, of thinking brushing would not look good on me, I've been obsessing about it
Not just the feeling of brushing, but the act itself, like the romanticism of an idealized beauty and femininity in a woman brushing her hair (I know it sounds weird, but that's the thread's subject lol)
And also, because I think that I'd be able to stretch my washes and maybe stop using so many products (but ofc I'm not sure, and a part of me is really skeptical) so then I could save money and water and be more environmental-friendly, maybe even do water-only washing

So... Yeah, that's my weird hair obsession lol
Ultimately, there are no hair friendly brushes around my house, nor a BBB, and I really think my hair would just get frizzy and, even if it did, the look would not suit me, so I probably will hold off and continuing with the CG and such

I don't know if I'm willing to try brushing my hair with the brushes I have here, and I fear buying a wooden wide bristle brush and a BBB would not be worth it, so let's see what I end up doing, but probably I'll let it be or try brushing once with a brush I have here anyway

Sorry for being so weird and dramatic, I kind of feel stupid now lol

ETA: after typing all that I decided to brush my cat and live vicariously through him

Sid0rela
November 9th, 2018, 06:58 AM
this is a really interesting thread, and i must say i am obsessed with hair in general.
i'm growing out bleach/dye and i love to dye other people's hair. i get really excited and i really wish i'd become a hairdresser lol.
i too am obsessed with hair cutting videos, home hairdying and big chops. my youtube timeline is full of hair cutting videos (not helping, since i wanna cut my hair back at shoulder length :rolleyes:)
im obsessed with brushing my hair. i feel like its the only way i can tame it and keep it in place as i have thick hair that gets kinda textured for being in a bun most of the times.
anytime i go to the supermarkets, i go to the hair sector, even if i dont need anything, i need to know which supermarker has which shampoo/conditioner/hair brush ect.
i love to buy hair toys, lots of them that i dont even need.
i am obsessed with watching other people's hair and admire hair in general lol.

Ylva
November 9th, 2018, 08:51 AM
Back when I was still learning about proper haircare, I was obsessed about... well, learning. I looked for new information on a daily basis, desperately trying to widen my knowledge about hair. Now I am finally at a point where I feel like I "know enough" about it for now, and when new (factual) information comes along, it's just like "oh cool".

I am obsessed about "making the right decision" for my hair. On an almost daily basis, I go from "I'm happy with having my hair chemically processed once and I'll keep doing that" to "I think I should just stop doing it and grow out my natural hair" and back again. As soon as I have settled on one thought or the other, I see or think or feel something that causes me to doubt it again.

I am also obsessed about finding the right haircare routine for me. I have found several that "work" and which I have followed for months at a time, but I am always trying to improve it, sometimes to the degree that it really starts to bother me and I have a hard time deciding what to do on wash days.

Also, I wouldn't call it an obsession, but I love to watch bleach fails on YouTube. It has to do with my desire to learn, as it gives me the opportunity to learn from other people's mistakes in a subject that I am generally interested in and passionate about.

MoonRabbit
November 9th, 2018, 10:43 AM
Hearing snapping hair really puts me off. You know those really loud and intense snaps that send shivers down the spine and you know you just broke a perfectly healthy strand of hair? Whenever that happens, that single hair and sound will remain on the cusp of my thoughts for the rest of the day.

WyntreBlossom
November 9th, 2018, 04:55 PM
Im simply obsessed with hair in general. As a kid I had a book of hair styles and I would annoy the crud out of my mother trying to force her to do more than one in a day on me, oh short hair when most of them were made for longer hair. Over the years I taught myself how to do a few of the styles in book and I used to read through it over and over like one would reread their favorite novel or series. It was crazy. Now I am here and growing my hair, stalking the forums and beautiful hair photos and youtube tutorials.

lithostoic
November 9th, 2018, 05:01 PM
I like watching wash and go videos :P

spirals
November 9th, 2018, 09:19 PM
Huh, after reading through this I realize that the longer my hair has gotten the less I think about hair. This is very, very different from when I first joined. I do still like having long hair; I do still see value in that. But most days I put it up and forget it unless it's pulling on my scalp hairs.

PixieNixie
November 9th, 2018, 10:33 PM
I think I am kinda obsessed with hair in general. I love color theory and how to dye and tone hair. I love learning about how to take care of different textures of hair. (I am still trying to perfect my routine.) I love watching braiding and hairstyling videos. The only thing I do not like watching are the big chop videos. I cant help to think in terms of how long it took for their hair to get that long and how long it will take to get back to that point again.

floralgem
November 9th, 2018, 11:27 PM
Since my hair is still short (short by LHC standards my hair is pretty normal IRL), I'm obsessed with seeing people with CL+ hair.

I also have recently become obsessed with Dove Daily Moisture conditioner. It smells amazing and my hair can take the sulfates and such.

LizzyGrant
November 10th, 2018, 05:59 AM
I don't want anyone to touch my hair and I avoid touching it myself as well unless it is absolutely necessary (like brushing, washing it etc.) I especially hate it if someone tries to pull it or grab it. I'm also a little obsessed about my ends and keep checking how they look. I think both of these obsessions started because I lost a lot of hair in the past and now I'm obsessed about my hair condition.

sophia_
November 11th, 2018, 10:35 AM
After a few months lurking on lhc and finding out how to properly care for my hair, it became soft for the first time in a long time, so I was obsessed with feeling it, lol. It just felt so different from the way it used to- I used to wear high-neck shirts all the time because my hair would feel rough on my skin, lol (before I was familiar with bunning techniques beyond the "peacock-twist-with-hair elastic). Now anytime someone touches my hair they comment on how soft it is, lol.

Katsura
November 11th, 2018, 11:46 AM
I don't know where this hair thing is coming from that I'm going through. I'm almost as into it as I am growing chillies. I obsess easily about things, there's always one or two things going on.

blackgothicdoll
November 11th, 2018, 12:28 PM
I'm obsessed with:

Black hair (I think most of us know this by now lol). I love shiny black hair, how gorgeous it is. Maybe I'm weird.

Essential oils - not just for hair and scalp, but for aromatherapy, but they go hand in hand when I'm talking about what I'm using in my hair.

Cutting off damage - this is my life long obsession and why my hair is always so short. Is this hair damaged? I don't know, better cut it anyway. Blah.

I spend more time than I'm proud of watching natural hair journeys, from big chop to TBL, stuff like that. And then I say, "Ok, so maybe 6 years from now? 5 years from now since I'm SL?" Not the best way I can think of to spend my time.

Dark40
November 11th, 2018, 04:35 PM
I'm obessed with making sure that I wash my hair every other day in order for it to be clean, and I make sure that I deep condition it twice a week to make sure that it is well-moisturized. I also obessed about growing out my hair to thigh length and beyond.

Starchild494
November 11th, 2018, 04:52 PM
i am obsessed with all things hair related! but i would have to say that right at this moment i am obsessed with looking at hair toys on etsy and hair oiling videos and big chops!

Spar
November 11th, 2018, 06:11 PM
I'm obsessed with hot oil and deep conditioning treatments. I love taking care of my hair and pampering myself, my hair always feels so soft and luxurious afterwards.

MoreSky
November 12th, 2018, 08:31 AM
I'm obsessed with Theo Knoop haircare videos on YouTube (theoknoopkapper). I don't see myself with the majority of the stuff he does, but I'm fascinated with his techniques and enjoy his engaging personality.

Margarita
November 12th, 2018, 08:52 AM
Oh my, i see myself in here! I have hair obssessions. Or i will name it 'OCD hair', or just 'perfecionist hair'. I really love my curls, and i cant bear seeing any curl on my hair looser or frizzier. I get anxious about it on how my hair will look the next day. But mostly my obssession is about the curls.

Dark40
November 12th, 2018, 12:23 PM
I'm obsessed with hot oil and deep conditioning treatments. I love taking care of my hair and pampering myself, my hair always feels so soft and luxurious afterwards.

Oh yeah, I forgot I'm also obsessed with hot oil and deep conditioning treatments too! I also love taking good care of my hair and pampering myself too! And yes, when you do those hot oil and deep conditioning treatments your hair does feel so soft and luxurious aftwerwards. How often do you do your hot oil and deep conditioning treatments? Right now, I'm just mostly doing deep conditioning treatments twice a week. I don't have no way of doing hot oil treatments. Because, my mom is always on my case of doing hot oil treatments down the sink. She always says that oils are not good for the drains. Which is true but I don't ever believe in using thick greases or oils.

saltwaterhappy
November 12th, 2018, 01:44 PM
I am obsessed with natural hair care, from oils to ACV rinses and from natural hair mask recipes to no-poo methods. I have even attempted washing my hair with water only (and failed terribly.) Ironically, I dye my hair frequently - I have switched from brunette to blonde and back to brunette again this year. I am never satisfied with the hair color I have, when I am blonde I miss being brunette and when I am brunette I want to go back to blonde. It's kinda funny how I am trying to avoid chemicals in my hair care while I keep bleaching and adding color to it :pinktongue:

TheMandaRose
November 13th, 2018, 09:33 AM
My obsession is with fast growth... I chopped my dry damaged hair off from below bsl to brushing the tops of my shoulders about 2 months ago and it is just now collar bone length. I realize that it's about an inch or 2 of growth but it feels so slow especially since a friend commented yesterday about how slow my hair is growing. I tried really hard to hide my horror when she said that but not sure if I succeeded. I love to brush my hair, run my fingers through it, s&d split ends, put peppermint essential oil on my roots and play around with making the perfect hair rinse tea.
I'm trying WO hair washes right now with occasional rinses with my experimental hair teas to cleanse and condition.
I have about 3 inches of virgin roots that are a soft mousy brown and the rest is hennaed dark auburnish so almost an accidental ombre.
I miss my length but ultimately I'm glad I got rid of all the unhealthy hair and can start over fresh.
If anyone has any advice on fast growth that can be implemented with WO, I'm all ears.

Natashap
November 13th, 2018, 01:25 PM
If you guys like some videos and obsessed abt it pls share videos as here I am.....lol

I am currently obsessed with conditioners ,I never used them much or believed in them as have greasy scalp.

But with thin and brittle hair I was in depression about scalp showing ...but now taking oiling and conditioner seriously I am OCD bt it.

But being on no buy ----makes it tougher .....lol:p

bokeh
November 15th, 2018, 07:59 PM
My hair obsession is that I am always checking out other people's hair. At the grocery store I'm looking up and down the aisles looking at hair, at the mall I sit on a bench and look at hair. I love to go anywhere that there are a lot of people so that I can scope out their hair. I especially am interested in grey, wavy and of course long hair on older women like myself.

Joules
November 16th, 2018, 07:19 AM
I'm weirly obsessed with clear shampoos. They just look so...I don't even know...appealing and satisfying?

I guess it's some sort of an instinct that makes humans attracted to water to help us not die, and clear shampoos look just like water. Not gonna lie, there has been a number of times when I decided to buy a certain shampoo just because it was colorless and transparent. And if it's in a clear bottle, then it's just instant love.

r3d
November 16th, 2018, 07:23 AM
after a scissor happy hairdresser cut 3/4 of my hair off this summer, I have been extremely obsessed with watching and reading all about hair growth lol. like non stop.
but with that being said, I did learn some new tricks, and plan on making a post with pictures about it when enough time has passed with my new hair growth journey detailing what worked for me.
so then other obsessive people like myself can read all about it haha

TreesOfEternity
November 16th, 2018, 07:45 AM
I'm weirly obsessed with clear shampoos. They just look so...I don't even know...appealing and satisfying?

I guess it's some sort of an instinct that makes humans attracted to water to help us not die, and clear shampoos look just like water. Not gonna lie, there has been a number of times when I decided to buy a certain shampoo just because it was colorless and transparent. And if it's in a clear bottle, then it's just instant love.

Wow I never thought about that and reading your description was too satistying hahaha, so weird.

Hairkay
November 16th, 2018, 10:38 AM
I love watching hair stories of type 2-4 hair. Mostly because I was used to seeing a lot of that growing up in the Caribbean. Now in the UK there weren't very much around who were happy to wear hair in a curly or wavy state. Even the magazines only stuck to straight haired styles thought I could watch that there would be a limit to what styles I'd try on my own hair. I like seeing hair go from short to long and or straight to curly (naturally curly or curlers etc hair set).