PDA

View Full Version : Best hair toys for straight, extremely slippery hair?

mrsmushroom
November 8th, 2018, 10:36 AM
Hey everyone!
I recently started clinicals in my nursing program, and I am desperately in need of a hair toy that will keep my hair up and secure for 8+ hours. I have fine, silky hair that is about waist length. Currently my only hair toys are some cheap plastic sticks (which work terribly) and a 4-prong (5" prong length) Jeterfork. The Jeterfork is my go-to but my hair either falls out eventually or starts pulling on my scalp in a really uncomfortable way. I have tried both a cinnamon bun and disc bun in various positions on my head but I always run into the same problem.
I have a Ficcare I got from swap board on the way, so I am hoping that will solve my problems!
Any recommendations for other hair toys that are good for slippy hair? Any products/shops on Etsy you'd recommend?
Thanks! :)

cjk
November 8th, 2018, 10:42 AM
Given the fact that you're in nursing, are pointy things permitted? Might be a relevant question to ask.

My goto is a french twist. Easy, and the French comb holds lots of hair with ease.

Or maybe braid? I've seen lots of nurses in braids recently.

Groovy Granny
November 8th, 2018, 10:44 AM
I found that occasionally a ponytail base helps....but most braided buns are secure on me, as well as using spin pins to secure those runaways; then you can add hair toys as you are allowed for extra hold/decoration.

Congrats on your clinicals :applause: ..... I am a retired nurse :o

Back in the early 70's when I started out in med-surg, I wore a flipped ponytail or braid secured by a barrette under my cap (there were no hair toys as we now have back then) :lol:

mrsmushroom
November 8th, 2018, 10:46 AM
Given the fact that you're in nursing, are pointy things permitted? Might be a relevant question to ask.

My goto is a french twist. Easy, and the French comb holds lots of hair with ease.

Or maybe braid? I've seen lots of nurses in braids recently.

Yeah, pointy things are fine. They aren't too strict, however, braids aren't allowed for my school. It has to be up off my shoulders or I get in trouble.

mrsmushroom
November 8th, 2018, 10:49 AM
I found that occasionally a ponytail base helps....but most braided buns are secure on me, as well as using spin pins to secure those runaways; then you can add hair toys as you are allowed for extra hold/decoration.

Congrats on your clinicals :applause: ..... I am a retired nurse :o

Back in the early 70's when I started out in med-surg, I wore a flipped ponytail or braid secured by a barrette under my cap (there were no hair toys as we now have back then) :lol:

Thank you so much :)! I'm loving it so far. So I take it you were a med-surg nurse?
Braided buns are a great idea, I'll have to try that.

TreesOfEternity
November 8th, 2018, 10:55 AM
I do a tight nautilus bun with a thin stick made of wood or something like Quattro’s forks, and it stays all day.

MusicalSpoons
November 8th, 2018, 10:57 AM
Spin pins! I cannot cinnabun my hair with anything other than spin pins or a flexi-8, but slept in a cinnabun with spin pins and although some of the coils flopped by morning, the pins stayed put :grin:
You could try different numbers of prongs for forks - too wide and the hair won't wrap around enough to hold; too narrow and it can feel too tight. I luuurve Jeters, but still find certain buns are better off with thinner prongs.
Ketylos have a twist in the middle and hold amazingly; you might also find totally twisted or wavy sticks hold better. Maybe even a helix? They work like a giant spin pin.
Braided buns are great because more grip and if they do fall down, it's quicker to put them back up.
Also highly recommend a Neoma Knot bun - still holds all day for me even if it loosens at the scalp / slides down. (I think it's in the Hairstyle Thesaurus)

Groovy Granny
November 8th, 2018, 10:59 AM
Thank you so much :)! I'm loving it so far. So I take it you were a med-surg nurse?
Braided buns are a great idea, I'll have to try that.

I did med-surg to start....for a few years; then married and had my children; working in Nursing homes for easy schedules until they were in school full time.

Adult/Internal Medicine was my preference, so later I switched to the Visiting Nurses doing general patient care; eventually got lured into Hospice (my greatest love and the highlight of my career).

Eventually my health started to decline a bit, so I did office work (pulmonologist -3 years, cardiologist - 1 year, and a foot surgeon 5 years) until I retired; also caring for a few relatives on Hospice to give the family respite/ support in their last days.

Have fun....there are so many avenues now ...and thank you for taking up the reins :cheer:

Cg
November 8th, 2018, 11:27 AM
At your hair length I began with a French braid to the nape to give better bun anchor to whatever hairtoy you use. Several small claw clips worked better than one larger one. I had to wait for length past classic before any bun would stay in all day with just a hairtoy. Not to say this will be true for you, but you might have to wait awhile yet for all-day security. Slick 1a hair also needs fairly long fork prongs, and sticks did not work well unless held also with lots of pins.

The only way I could assure 8+ hours without using product was a fairly tight bun, a truckload of pins, and a hair net.

MamaLou
November 8th, 2018, 11:59 AM
maybe this will give you some ideas: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gw1kFwIelEc

Since I got my u pin from lilla rose i've been doing lazy wrap buns almost daily and they hold all day for me, however I don't know if u pins are allowed in a nursing program. Maybe you can use spin pins?

AmaryllisRed
November 8th, 2018, 04:46 PM
What about a cinnabun held by small claw clips all around?

lithostoic
November 8th, 2018, 04:47 PM
Amish pins and claw clips.

Groovy Granny
November 8th, 2018, 04:57 PM
What about a cinnabun held by small claw clips all around?

I completely forgot that I do that (though not as often); now that my hair is longer I have been grabbing forks and sticks that were once too big for me :lol:

I have small, pretty/jeweled claws from Amazon for a great hold with a little bling....it is a great look :thumbsup:

Thanks for the reminder; it is time I try that again for a change ;)

ETA:Ficcares and flexis all slip on me...except the leather; that holds rock solid :thumbsup:

browneyedsusan
November 8th, 2018, 05:28 PM
My hair is fine and slippery as greased owl :poop:

I work in a climbing gym, and move around during the day. If I want it to stay secure, I use a ponytail base. Everything else slips like you describe: becomes loose and/or painful after an hour or two. A disc bun built around a ponytail base holds with a cheap hairstick works great for me.

ETA: Just adding information:
I don't wear disc buns regularly, because I like a lot of variety in my hairstyles. I do have a ficcare, spin pins, and a 3-prong fork. They all slip without a ponytail anchor.

CopperButterfly
November 8th, 2018, 06:49 PM
I have very slippery hair, and sticks and forks all eventually slip out. But a flexi-8 will hold my disc bun all day, 12 hours. So I'm building a collection. Nice thing is, just one isn't too terribly expensive compared to a ficcare. I do think a ficcare would work well too.

Deborah
November 8th, 2018, 10:06 PM
I second the spin pins and the tiny claw clips. Either of these hold very, very well. Between the two I think the spin pins may hold the best.

RadioactiveLily
November 9th, 2018, 09:45 AM
Congrats on your clinicals!

I work in the medical field too (registered sonographer) and I often anchor my hair with a French braid- for example, I’ll twist a French braid into a Gibraltar bun. Even without my hair braided, spidermom buns seem pretty secure on my head. My favorite toy that holds no matter what I’m doing is my grahtoe studio 2 prong pipe fork. The prongs are rather close together, and that seems to help hold my hair. I also have a Lady Idun unicorn horn stick with a tapered, screw-like shape. I wrap my buns tight with that one, and the literally screw the stick into the bun. You might try a flexible metal stick too. If you put it in in a way that it has to bend a little, the tension of the stick against the force of your hair might help you too. YMMV though, my hair is fingertip length and might behave differently.

As for hospital code regarding hair accessories, I’ve worn all manner of things in my hair and no one has told me I couldn’t. I personally would avoid sharp pointy things if you’ll be working in behavioral medicine though.

teeks
November 9th, 2018, 11:39 AM
I wear a knot bun with a single stick, I haven't found any other bun that'll hold my hair for long. It's probably my techniques that are off, but I know my knot bun stays all day in my hair :)