PDA

View Full Version : I feel like a mad scientist right now

Jesmonster2
November 8th, 2018, 01:55 AM
I want to try all of these new things out on my hair right now! I am all about experimenting.

Out of curiosity, I tried a very simple version of the curly girl method on my straight hair yesterday (CW with cone free conditioner, STC, Plopping). I actually ended up with a lot of really nice, defined waves when my hair was wet/damp. When it dried, I just had some slight waves like after having my hair in a braid for a little while. I really liked the extra texture and look of the waves in my hair, and I thought I would give the CGM a real try for a few weeks to see if my hair responds a little more to it.

I am really surprised that my hair responded so well to the CGM. I thought that my hair loved Pantene and cones. The cones make my hair very smooth and silky, and I have never noticed a problem with build up. But it always came out very very limp and straight. Also, I had to use dandruff shampoo to help with my dry, itchy scalp. I am excited to see how my CGM experiment turns out for my hair. I even had my husband drive me to the bigger drug store in our area last night so I could buy some cheap cone free shampoo and a light cone free gel.

And then I saw the shampoo bar thread here. Now I want to try a shampoo bar! I want to try them all!

I am glad that I read the sticky about trying new things out for two weeks and not doing too much all at once. I am so excited about all of this new hair information that I am reading here. I honestly could try something new every day. But that would probably destroy my hair and cost me a fortune in hair products. It's really hard to keep myself in check!

spitfire511
November 8th, 2018, 06:02 AM
So glad that it's all so exciting to you Jesmonster2! And so glad you actually read the sticky (have a gold star!) on not trying everything at once - you have to change things slowly so you know what's working and what's not.

The funny part you'll find the longer you stick around is that many of us are still experimenting years down the road as new products and new information comes out. STC was the BIGGEST thing for me out of CGM. It's made a huge difference. But even after all these years, I *just* found the ROO (Rinse-out-oil) method and my hair LOOOOOVES it so far! Some people find their thing right off and never change - but most of us are still trying new things!

Take it slow - keep caring for your locks and enjoy!!

lapushka
November 8th, 2018, 07:34 AM
It's nice to experiment. ;)

I use sulfates and silicones, just because I need to. My scalp protested heavily to sulfate-free and CO-washing. I also have SD, seborrheic dermatitis, so I have learned I need the sulfates and a good cleanse.

When experimenting, indeed, go slowly, and try out one thing at a time for a couple of weeks, so you know if that item works for you, or not. If you try too many things at once, you'll never know what it is doing a good or bad job on your hair.

I am glad that I read the sticky about trying new things out for two weeks and not doing too much all at once. I am so excited about all of this new hair information that I am reading here. I honestly could try something new every day. But that would probably destroy my hair and cost me a fortune in hair products. It's really hard to keep myself in check!

I know it's very tempting to try it all at once, we've all been there! :flower:

SallySue
November 8th, 2018, 12:53 PM
Very cool! Ever since I learned of the CGM I've been intensely curious how plopping and gel styling would look on someone with naturally straight hair. Do you have pictures of before/after?

Jesmonster2
November 8th, 2018, 02:23 PM
Very cool! Ever since I learned of the CGM I've been intensely curious how plopping and gel styling would look on someone with naturally straight hair. Do you have pictures of before/after?

The camera on my phone is broken, but sometime next week I will try to take some pictures on my husband's phone. It looks very wavy while wet, but it dries with just a slight wave. The nicest thing, I think, is that it gives me more volume.

Jesmonster2
November 8th, 2018, 02:25 PM
It's nice to experiment. ;)

I use sulfates and silicones, just because I need to. My scalp protested heavily to sulfate-free and CO-washing. I also have SD, seborrheic dermatitis, so I have learned I need the sulfates and a good cleanse.

I don't know if my hair will like CO-washing in the long run, but I guess I will find out. I probably will still need to wash with a sulfate shampoo once in a while, since I do have very fine, thin hair.

lapushka
November 8th, 2018, 03:34 PM
I don't know if my hair will like CO-washing in the long run, but I guess I will find out. I probably will still need to wash with a sulfate shampoo once in a while, since I do have very fine, thin hair.

Yes, just try it; it's what I did. Otherwise, I would have kept wondering about it. :) :o