PDA

View Full Version : Trouble taming my braids

Milkchocolate
November 7th, 2018, 04:55 PM
So I’ve always had trouble taming my braids...by that I mean I have a lot of trouble with my hairs in the braid that start to look “loose” or messy and my braid begins falling apart as the day goes on, if that makes any sense!

Is there anything I can use/do to make it look like a sleeker braid, as opposed to a braid that starts off neat then begins to look messy? (There’s a lot of wind/ movement at my job)

I hate hairspray and mousse and anything that’s sticky. Too much chemical products make me feel gross! But if there’s any products/ alternatives that you guys can recommend, Id be willing to try and really appreciate it! :)

Groovy Granny
November 7th, 2018, 05:00 PM
I love Biosilk Lite Serum...a few drops applied to my ends before braiding, then a teensy squirt rubbed on my palms and over my braids after really helps me.

Mostly my braids are used to sleep and this protects my fine silver from shredding, dryness, and damage.

I am with you....and hate heavy/sticky stuff on my hair :tmi:

SwanFeathers
November 7th, 2018, 07:41 PM
If I'm going for sleek I would definitely oil my hair. Olive/jojoba in winter, coconut/grapeseed in summer. When I had a job that required updos thats how I kept it neat.

Alissalocks
November 8th, 2018, 04:41 AM
Oil does the trick for me too, but you may not wish to be so greasy in public. I'm comfortable wearing some oil out, depending on what the day is, but probably wouldn't habitually.

I also find rag ties help hold my braid together, especially when rope braiding. But I still a fair amount of braid shred and will stop and re braid if it's bugging me.

lapushka
November 8th, 2018, 07:36 AM
A leave-in, or curl cream, smoothed over the braid, or some gel. I'd go for the leave-in if you don't like crunchy or sticky hair, though. You don't need to use a lot of product, just a pea to a tiny coinsize, spread through palms and slowly eased over the ends then up to the root area of the braid.

Milkchocolate
November 8th, 2018, 11:37 AM
A leave-in, or curl cream, smoothed over the braid, or some gel. I'd go for the leave-in if you don't like crunchy or sticky hair, though. You don't need to use a lot of product, just a pea to a tiny coinsize, spread through palms and slowly eased over the ends then up to the root area of the braid.

Lapushka, Do you think the Shea Moisture JBCO leave in would help? I’m not familiar with using leave ins so they make me a little nervous lol.

And as far as oils, I’ve tried Argan oil but it just doesn’t seem to do the trick. I only like to use light oil on my ends because my hair tends to get easily greasy and weighed down. Plus oil does not provide a strong hold, which is what I need =\

CopperButterfly
November 9th, 2018, 07:06 AM
I don't have asn't advise, but am curious to see other's recommendations. I've tried small amounts of gel to no success. I love the look of braids, but mine always ebf the day by being a complete mess with as much as 6 inch long pieces hanging out of my braid.

TheMandaRose
November 10th, 2018, 09:10 PM
Have you tried aloe vera gel or maybe making a flax seed gel? I haven't tried it personally, I've just seen the recipes for it on Pinterest, I use jojoba oil if I have to try to settle my wispies but normally I just let them run wild... Call me lazy i guess.

bokeh
November 15th, 2018, 08:53 PM
I like to get my hair damp but not wet with my hands and sometimes I will put a couple of drops of oil on the ends or I will smooth a dab of Camille Rose Naturals Almond Jai Twisting Butter over all of my hair before braiding. The Twisting Butter feels producty on my hand but it is quickly absorbed and moisturizes my hair.

Addy
November 15th, 2018, 09:26 PM
When I braid my hair (dry), it does the same thing. My braids are at their best when I do them on damp hair. I also don't wear my braids loose because of my line of work. It's always wrapped up and pinned down.

Larke
November 15th, 2018, 09:51 PM
I second the suggestions of oil and braiding hair when a little more damp. I have really fine hair, so I also don't like to have it weighed down, but there's so many different oils outright or oil products that hopefully you can find something that fits your hair well. Usually braided hair doesn't make the oil too obvious. I'd be curious to know how aloe vera gel works for you if you try it. :)