PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Not Use Oils and Butters?

nycelle
November 7th, 2018, 12:19 PM
Since going cone free seven or so months ago, I winded up using much heavier products with lots of oils and butters.

Noticed that, 1. I need to clarify much more often these days; 2. My hair feels sticky/tacky.
So I decided to experiment.

I'm still cone free, but went oil and butter free with my last two washes.

I'm also sticking with conditioners that contain either: Behentrimonium Chloride, or Stearalkonium Chloride listed at the top of the ingredient list.
Noticed my three conditioners that contain Behentrimonium Chloride, or Stearalkonium Chloride, but also don't have any butters or oils, or small amounts of butters/oils, are my lightest conditioners, and leave my hair without that sticky feeling.

The downside is I have to condition twice, and not rinse it all out to get enough slip. Still, when it dries, my hair feels lighter, and cleaner without the usual heaviness that oils provide, and the tacky feeling is gone.

Am hoping this method will also keep my clarifying washes to a minimum.

So can someone recommend a good leave-in without butters and oils? I'm having a tough time finding one.

SallySue
November 7th, 2018, 12:46 PM
The Kinky Curly Knot Today detangler can also be used as a leave-in for wavy hair, and it's free of oils and butters.

paulownia
November 7th, 2018, 01:01 PM
You could look into children’s detangling sprays. They are often very light formulas without oils and silicones, often containing glycerin. I’m currently using one as a leave-in. It’s based on Dipalmitoylethyl Dimonium Chloride, contains also panthenol, myristyl and lauryl alcohol.

nycelle
November 7th, 2018, 02:11 PM
The Kinky Curly Knot Today detangler can also be used as a leave-in for wavy hair, and it's free of oils and butters.

Yeah, I've been eyeing it but everything I've read on it is mixed. Some love it, others say it's actually drying.. eek..

You could look into children’s detangling sprays. They are often very light formulas without oils and silicones, often containing glycerin. I’m currently using one as a leave-in. It’s based on Dipalmitoylethyl Dimonium Chloride, contains also panthenol, myristyl and lauryl alcohol.

I need a leave-in conditioner. Having a problem finding one that's light though.

lapushka
November 7th, 2018, 03:07 PM
So can someone recommend a good leave-in without butters and oils? I'm having a tough time finding one.

Well the Cantu leave-in = out (shea butter). Maybe the Frizz-taming smoothie by Shea Moisture. You'd have to see what the ingredients are like. I find it's a bit lighter than the curl enhancing smoothie.

Maybe the Quench! by Aunt Jackie's? You'd also have to look up the ingredients. You can't use this with gel, though; flaked on me.

MusicalSpoons
November 7th, 2018, 04:11 PM
Well the Cantu leave-in = out (shea butter). Maybe the Frizz-taming smoothie by Shea Moisture. You'd have to see what the ingredients are like. I find it's a bit lighter than the curl enhancing smoothie.

Maybe the Quench! by Aunt Jackie's? You'd also have to look up the ingredients. You can't use this with gel, though; flaked on me.

Shea Moisture thingy = nope.

Water, Glycerin (Vegetable), Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea) Butter, Glyceryl Stearate Citrate, Cetrimonium Chloride, Cetearyl Alcohol, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Cetyl Alcohol, Glyceryl Caprylate, Fragrance (Essential Oil Blend), Biotin, Macadamia Ternifolia Seed Oil, Psidium Guajava Fruit Extract, Euterpe Oleracea Fruit Extract, Lycium Barbarum Fruit Extract, Melia Azadirachta Seed Oil, Sclerocarya Birrea Seed Oil, Panthenol, Mangifera lndica (Mango) Seed Butter, Hydrolyzed Rice Protein, Rubus ldaeus (Raspberry) Leaf Extract, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Glyceryl Undecylenate

Edit: wow, sorry, didn't mean that to sound short. Just words are not doing well right now :bigeyes:

(Also, the Kinky Curly Knot Today sounds really interesting. If I ever start to need some leave-in type thing I'll definitely consider it)

Edit 2: description for Aunt Jackie's Quench says shea butter and EVOO without even getting to ingredients list, so also no.

Edit 3: so confused, I don't see shea butter or EVOO in the list for Aunt Jackie's Quench :confused: only Argan Oil. Misleading description?!

Aqua, Cetearyl Alcohol, Glycerin, Cetyl Alcohol, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Behentrimonium Methosulfate, Parfum, Althea Officinalis Root Extract, Argania Spinosa Kernel Oil, Panthenol, Ulmus Rubra Extract, Magnesium Nitrate, Citric Acid, Hydrolyzed wheat protein, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Magnesium Chloride, Methylisothiazolinone, Phenoxyethanol, Potassium Sorbate, Limonene,Hexyl Cinnamal, Linalool, Amyl Cinnamal, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, Benzyl Alcohol, Citronellol, Hydroxycitronellal, CI 19140, CI 42090

[Sorry. Back to lurking until words are better.]

lapushka
November 7th, 2018, 04:32 PM
Don't worry about it, MusicalSpoons. Everyone is just trying to help! :flower: And I can be short myself sometimes, so I totally get it. ;)

-Fern
November 7th, 2018, 04:44 PM
I use pure aloe vera gel.

renia22
November 7th, 2018, 05:44 PM
Do you have a preference for product type (cream, spray, etc)?

Phyto 7 does contain some oils, but it’s in cream form, and my hair (much thinner than yours) does okay with it

Klorane Oat Milk Spray Leave In Conditioner

Sally’s Ion Curl Cream (doubles as a leave in, I think most ingredients are the water soluble PEG kind, but I’m not sure if they changed the formula since I last bought it)

MusicalSpoons
November 8th, 2018, 10:24 AM
Don't worry about it, MusicalSpoons. Everyone is just trying to help! :flower: And I can be short myself sometimes, so I totally get it. ;)

Thank you! :flowers:

/back to the thread

nycelle
November 8th, 2018, 03:38 PM
Thanks for the recommendations.

@renia22 I like Klorane products a lot. Have their mango butter conditioner and mango butter deep conditioner. But the mango butter is very low on the list of ingredients so I used the conditioner as a cowash. It's pretty light.
Will look into the oat milk spray. I've had bad experiences with Phyto, specifically their Phytojoba Intense Hydrating Brilliance Mask. It left my hair in terrible shape. Not so quick to try them again..

lapushka
November 8th, 2018, 04:13 PM
I just realized that all my stylers are quite heavy. Thank goodness I clarify wash every week, because now some part of me thinks it is really necessary. Ever since I have started washing the lengths as well, my hair is better for it - now I know why. :) Thanks for that!

nycelle
November 8th, 2018, 04:20 PM
I just realized that all my stylers are quite heavy. Thank goodness I clarify wash every week, because now some part of me thinks it is really necessary. Ever since I have started washing the lengths as well, my hair is better for it - now I know why. :) Thanks for that!

This is why I stopped using butters and oils. It's too heavy for my hair (medium texture) since I don't use sulfates, and I'm tired of clarifying as often as I do.

My last two washes with low poos, and using conditioners that don't contain oils and butters left me with clean, soft hair that's not at all weighed down. Now I just need a good leave-in.

I gotta be honest, I don't understand how ladies with type i/ii, fine hair use so many oils and without sulfate washes. I can't do it with my medium texture thicker hair for a long period.

lapushka
November 8th, 2018, 04:41 PM
I gotta be honest, I don't understand how ladies with type i/ii, fine hair use so many oils and without sulfate washes. I can't do it with my medium texture thicker hair for a long period.

Maybe the Briogeo things you are using are just very mild? Could be it, that those ladies are using sulfate-free as well, but not something as gentle. Would be my only explanation.

nycelle
November 8th, 2018, 04:46 PM
Briogeo is very oil heavy so yeah, that's why I was getting build-up. I'm still going to be using the deep conditioner (love it), but I'm also going to be using their lighter shampoo and conditioner that doesn't really contain oils until the end of the list.

I know many ladies clarify very often, but others don't. Maybe some are ok with build-up.. :shrug:

Simsy
November 9th, 2018, 06:17 PM
Just speaking for myself; oil buildup depends on the oil. Jojoba and olive oil just sit and cause problems; argan oil soaks right in, no matter how much I use.

renia22
November 10th, 2018, 02:11 PM
This is another one that’s good, you can use it on both skin and hair, and I believe any silicones in this are of the water soluble kind. I can spray this right on my hair if I have any tangled spots, leave it for a minute, then work out the tangles. Just light and moisturizing enough, without being heavy:

https://image.ibb.co/ghoV2q/2-D1-AD190-2127-4-D31-8679-1-B7350944827.jpg (https://imgbb.com/)