PDA

View Full Version : Hair Feeling Different - Seasonal?

WyntreBlossom
November 7th, 2018, 07:32 AM
So not my whole hair but the ends/dyed bits seem to feel more..... I'm not sure how to describe it. Kind of rough? Or - I want to say paper-y as my hair sounds like paper if I mess with my braid tassel and I am not sure if it is the weather or random damage. Advice on the possible cause and any action to help would be much appreciated. We are moving into cooler weather as it is now fall and the temperatures are dropping rapidly.

nycelle
November 7th, 2018, 07:56 AM
I'm getting that now too since the weather is getting colder, and drier.

In the middle of an experiment where I cut out all oils. I'm only using lowpoo and conditioners that either don't have oils/butters, or they're very low on the ingredient list.
So yesterday I washed and conditioned, and left a bit of conditioner in my hair. Today I woke up and it's feeling dry. I re-wet the ends, and used more of the conditioner. My ends have dried and feel great now.

lapushka
November 7th, 2018, 10:10 AM
So not my whole hair but the ends/dyed bits seem to feel more..... I'm not sure how to describe it. Kind of rough? Or - I want to say paper-y as my hair sounds like paper if I mess with my braid tassel and I am not sure if it is the weather or random damage. Advice on the possible cause and any action to help would be much appreciated. We are moving into cooler weather as it is now fall and the temperatures are dropping rapidly.

Maybe a good moisture treatment, like an SMT might do the trick? Focus on the ends.

WyntreBlossom
November 7th, 2018, 04:49 PM
Maybe a good moisture treatment, like an SMT might do the trick? Focus on the ends.

May I ask what a SMT is? And yea focusing on the ends sounds like the best idea haha

Groovy Granny
November 7th, 2018, 05:04 PM
As the air dries and cools here in the Northeast I feel the difference, and usually just switching to a heavier oil for my ROO/LOC &/or adding a wee bit more conditioner helps dryness in my fine silver... without weighing it down.

Biosilk Lite Serum is also helpful to me in between shampoos...or a spritz of Rosewater and Glycerin for flyaways.

Ylva
November 7th, 2018, 09:50 PM
May I ask what a SMT is?

It's a mix of conditioner, honey and aloe vera gel for deep conditioning. Here's more information about it: https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=128

WyntreBlossom
November 8th, 2018, 02:53 PM
It's a mix of conditioner, honey and aloe vera gel for deep conditioning. Here's more information about it: https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=128

Thank you so much! I actually don't use conditioners ever due to being naturally oily, so what I might do first, to avoid over doing things, is a simple normal condition in on wash days on the ends only (like bottom 3 inches) and see what that does first!

Ylva
November 8th, 2018, 04:25 PM
Thank you so much! I actually don't use conditioners ever due to being naturally oily, so what I might do first, to avoid over doing things, is a simple normal condition in on wash days on the ends only (like bottom 3 inches) and see what that does first!

Have you tried using conditioner from around ears down only? Or further down, like just your ends?

edit: Sorry, I misread, I noticed now that you wrote you are going to try it. :) It's a good idea.

WyntreBlossom
November 8th, 2018, 05:41 PM
Have you tried using conditioner from around ears down only? Or further down, like just your ends?

edit: Sorry, I misread, I noticed now that you wrote you are going to try it. :) It's a good idea.

Yea haha thank you I will let you know if it helps!