PDA

View Full Version : Help with winter hair?

FantasyBoudicca
November 6th, 2018, 11:19 PM
I'm heading to Tokyo in December and I don't know how to manage my hair in winter, like what I should look out for (static? frizz? I know to oil the length, and that's it), what protective styles I should use, if there even is a hat type that I can fit my hair under. Any advice?

I'm a tropical girl, so this is the first time I've encountered winter in something like three years - and with hair past TBL that I can't just shove under a hood, unless it's one of those giant Assassin's Creed hoods 😂

Jesmonster2
November 7th, 2018, 01:39 AM
Esprit sells a cashmere winter hat, but it isn't cheap. I think it's something like 25 Euros.

Jesmonster2
November 7th, 2018, 01:44 AM
Sorry, I just realized that your concern is fitting your hair into your hat. :p

What about one of those bun/ponytail hats that have an open top to let the hair stick out? If you know how to knit or crochet, they are super easy to make, and you could use some really soft yarn.

FantasyBoudicca
November 7th, 2018, 02:18 AM
Sorry, I just realized that your concern is fitting your hair into your hat. :p

What about one of those bun/ponytail hats that have an open top to let the hair stick out? If you know how to knit or crochet, they are super easy to make, and you could use some really soft yarn.

I was considering those, but I've heard to try to keep your hair covered as much as possible during winter? Or is it just the ends?

MamaLou
November 7th, 2018, 02:49 AM
I was considering those, but I've heard to try to keep your hair covered as much as possible during winter? Or is it just the ends?

I only keep my entire hair covered when it's cold and wet enough for my hair to freeze. When it is not too cold I usually put my hair in a bun and put on a headband to keep my ears warm. When it's very cold I'll put my hair in twin braids, throw on a beanie, and put those twin braids in my coat. This last option is a little bit more damaging to the ends but it still works. A low bun and a felt hat is a very stylish option if you want to look cute :) It's a good idea to use a bit more oil on your hair than usually, and your hair will be static but that is not really a problem if you don't wear it down.

FantasyBoudicca
November 7th, 2018, 03:08 AM
I only keep my entire hair covered when it's cold and wet enough for my hair to freeze. When it is not too cold I usually put my hair in a bun and put on a headband to keep my ears warm. When it's very cold I'll put my hair in twin braids, throw on a beanie, and put those twin braids in my coat. This last option is a little bit more damaging to the ends but it still works. A low bun and a felt hat is a very stylish option if you want to look cute :) It's a good idea to use a bit more oil on your hair than usually, and your hair will be static but that is not really a problem if you don't wear it down.

That's a thing? I always figured the proximity to body heat would prevent hair from freezing, unless it's, say, braided or loose and dangling away from the body.

WyntreBlossom
November 7th, 2018, 07:20 AM
This is my first year growing my hair with LHC hair care knowledge and I live in the southern USA where we get snow/frost but its chilly but not FREEZING cold. 20 F - 40 F is the norm. I would love to hear the suggestions on this thread as I myself don't know well what to do for "winter" outdoor care.

I prefer LWB/Disc buns using chopsticks as hair sticks, or variations of a dutch/english braid for every day styles.

TreesOfEternity
November 7th, 2018, 07:51 AM

I do exactly the same as you MamaLou. I have a baggy beanie that I use to cover my bun when it's windy or specially cold and that's it.

I feel it loses more moisture and suffers more overall with the heat of the summer, now during winter it's more about using a good leave-in after washing it and then just keeping it contained and covered if it's freezing cold and that's it.

Joules
November 7th, 2018, 08:11 AM
I don't wear hats. I hate how they make my roots flat and my scalp more greasy for some reason. I have a winter coat with a hood with faux fur, it's warm enough to keep my head from freezing and there's enough space to fit whatever hairstyle I'm wearing. I usually wear braids and keep them under the coat though. You could keep loose hair under your clothes too.

Alissalocks
November 7th, 2018, 08:20 AM
I live on a mountaintop where it goes from 0-100*F each year... I've never done anything specific in winter to protect my hair "more," IMO just do what you always do and protect it the way you always do. :flower:

lapushka
November 7th, 2018, 10:09 AM
I'm heading to Tokyo in December and I don't know how to manage my hair in winter, like what I should look out for (static? frizz? I know to oil the length, and that's it), what protective styles I should use, if there even is a hat type that I can fit my hair under. Any advice?

I'm a tropical girl, so this is the first time I've encountered winter in something like three years - and with hair past TBL that I can't just shove under a hood, unless it's one of those giant Assassin's Creed hoods ��

Not to toot my own horn, but... (LOL)... The rinse-out oil method is a good one to maybe use for your ends! Info is in my signature.

I'll explain! You basically wash your hair, then take a couple drops (yes "drops") of oil, spread it between palms and distribute over your hair. You then either rinse out, then use your conditioner, or smack your conditioner on it straight away (that's what I do). Then you let it marinate a couple minutes or however long you leave your conditioner in, then rinse. It is amazing for the ends / lengths of your hair, wherever you choose to apply.

I started last fall and next week will be week 52 of me doing this method for my hair. I couldn't give it up in spring & summer; it is so good!

MamaLou
November 7th, 2018, 11:23 AM
That's a thing? I always figured the proximity to body heat would prevent hair from freezing, unless it's, say, braided or loose and dangling away from the body.

Only happened to me when I was wearing my hair in braids.

Cg
November 7th, 2018, 04:07 PM

It's happened to me more than once. Now I always wear a snorkel hood in bitter cold/wind.

For average winter weather, I agree that doing what you typically do ought to provide adequate protection.

Groovy Granny
November 7th, 2018, 04:18 PM
Not to toot my own horn, but... (LOL)... The rinse-out oil method is a good one to maybe use for your ends! Info is in my signature.

I'll explain! You basically wash your hair, then take a couple drops (yes "drops") of oil, spread it between palms and distribute over your hair. You then either rinse out, then use your conditioner, or smack your conditioner on it straight away (that's what I do). Then you let it marinate a couple minutes or however long you leave your conditioner in, then rinse. It is amazing for the ends / lengths of your hair, wherever you choose to apply.

I started last fall and next week will be week 52 of me doing this method for my hair. I couldn't give it up in spring & summer; it is so good!

I adopted Lapushka's method (plus her LOC) .....thank you :smooch: and that does the trick for my fine silver.

If it is super cold/dry I increase my add-ins ever so slightly, depending on how if feels post shampoo.

A low/nape LWB with a Ficcare protects it under a hooded coat or an Ear Flap Hat (http://www.redheart.com/files/patterns/pdf/LW3558.pdf) that I enjoy making/wearing.

Biosilk Lite Serum also helps with any static/frizz I may have when my hair is dry/between shampoos.

Good luck :cheer:

lapushka
November 7th, 2018, 04:30 PM
I adopted Lapushka's method (plus her LOC) .....thank you :smooch: and that does the trick for my fine silver.

If it is super cold/dry I increase my add-ins ever so slightly, depending on how if feels post shampoo.

A low/nape LWB with a Ficcare protects it under a hooded coat or an Ear Flap Hat (http://www.redheart.com/files/patterns/pdf/LW3558.pdf) that I enjoy making/wearing.

Biosilk Lite Serum also helps with any static/frizz I may have when my hair is dry/between shampoos.

Good luck :cheer:

You're welcome, GG! Nice to see you around here again. And congrats on TBL!!!