PDA

View Full Version : Nivea for curly hair

ghanima
November 6th, 2018, 04:51 PM
I remember reading a post here of someone with curly hair using Nivea cream on them, the one in the blue tin. But I can't find that post. Anyone else does that? how do you use it, on wet or dry hair? earlier tonight I put some just to try on dry hair, because I had the tin around, and now they feel so good to the touch!
I personally don't have any experience with glycerine, and my hair was rather indifferent to baby oil, so I didn't take that post too seriously when I read it, but I my hair is so soft now I wanna know more.

lapushka
November 6th, 2018, 04:58 PM
I use it on my face, not my hair, as I am extremely dry. :)

I think the blue tin will be *way* too greasy for hair! But who knows. If you use a fingertip amount, spread it through palms and just "jot it" on the ends, it might be the same as applying vaseline to the hair.

nycelle
November 6th, 2018, 05:02 PM
Years ago I was told by my stylist not to use hand/body creams on the hair. She said that some of the ingredients will just dry it out in the long run.

ghanima
November 6th, 2018, 05:15 PM
Are those two bulldogs yours? I LOVE bulldogs, never thought I would until I did some dogsitting for a friend who had moved to LA and left me his apartment for free and his bulldog. And how I fell for this dog... oh he was so tender and funny and smart ...

Back to the Nivea, it is really strange as I have tried other creams in the past on the hair, and didn't like it at all, they got all stringy, but the Nivea feels really good. I just used a modest quantity, my hair are freshly washed and there was some gel residue that made them feel drier than usual, and now they're just soft and voluminous, and the curls are well defined too. And usually my hair don't like leave-ins of any sort. It's a mystery... a good mystery. Now in the long run who knows. Your stylist may be the exception but I wouldn't imagine any stylist approve of face cream but that doesn't mean they're right, it's just prejudice.

Ylva
November 6th, 2018, 05:49 PM
Years ago I was told by my stylist not to use hand/body creams on the hair. She said that some of the ingredients will just dry it out in the long run.

Do you remember which ingredients for example?

nycelle
November 6th, 2018, 06:16 PM
Are those two bulldogs yours? I LOVE bulldogs, never thought I would until I did some dogsitting for a friend who had moved to LA and left me his apartment for free and his bulldog. And how I fell for this dog... oh he was so tender and funny and smart ...

Back to the Nivea, it is really strange as I have tried other creams in the past on the hair, and didn't like it at all, they got all stringy, but the Nivea feels really good. I just used a modest quantity, my hair are freshly washed and there was some gel residue that made them feel drier than usual, and now they're just soft and voluminous, and the curls are well defined too. And usually my hair don't like leave-ins of any sort. It's a mystery... a good mystery. Now in the long run who knows. Your stylist may be the exception but I wouldn't imagine any stylist approve of face cream but that doesn't mean they're right, it's just prejudice.

Yes, they're bulldogs. Love the breed. Such sweethearts.

My stylist was an old friend- we grew up together so I doubt she cared either way.

Do you remember which ingredients for example?

Nah, this was over a decade ago-wasn't even interested in hair care much back then so never asked. It only came up because she used it on my hair to get rid of frizz as that's all I had, and it stuck with me (her words.)

I suppose it's something like drying alcohols though.

lapushka
November 7th, 2018, 10:24 AM
I suppose it's something like drying alcohols though.

Hmm yeah, there's nothing like that in the blue tin. :)

nycelle
November 7th, 2018, 10:29 AM
Hmm yeah, there's nothing like that in the blue tin. :)

I was speaking in general terms regarding body lotions.

Oh, and do you know what all the ingredients are in the Nivea tin?

lapushka
November 7th, 2018, 11:06 AM
I was speaking in general terms regarding body lotions.

Oh, and do you know what all the ingredients are in the Nivea tin?

The Mexican one or the German one.

I'll give the list I have:
Aqua, paraffinum Liquidum, Cera Microcristallina, Glycerin, Lanolin Alcohol (Eucerit), Paraffin, Panthenol, Decyl Oleate, Octyldodecanol, aluminium stearates, citric acid, magnesium sulfate, magnesium stearate, parfum, limonene, geraniol, hydroxycitronellal, linalool, citronellol, benzyl benzoate, cinnamyl alcohol.

nycelle
November 7th, 2018, 11:15 AM
I meant, I don't know what the ingredients do, or if they can be drying on the hair. Was asking if you know.

The American ingredients are:
Water, Mineral Oil, Petrolatum, Glycerin, Microcrystalline Wax, Lanolin Alcohol, Paraffin, Panthenol, Magnesium Sulfate, Decyl Oleate, Octyldodecanol,
Aluminum Stearates, Fragrance, Citric Acid, Magnesium Stearate, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone.

The Magnesium sulfate is epsom salt- I wouldn't put that in my hair. The Citric Acid can be drying too. There are a few other ingredients I don't recognize ever being in hair care items so have no idea how they would affect the hair shaft long term.

eta: But since the first two ingredients are mineral oil and vaseline, it would be difficult to feel the drying effects of some other ingredients right away. Doesn't mean they're good for the hair.

lapushka
November 7th, 2018, 01:26 PM
I meant, I don't know what the ingredients do, or if they can be drying on the hair. Was asking if you know.

The American ingredients are:
Water, Mineral Oil, Petrolatum, Glycerin, Microcrystalline Wax, Lanolin Alcohol, Paraffin, Panthenol, Magnesium Sulfate, Decyl Oleate, Octyldodecanol,
Aluminum Stearates, Fragrance, Citric Acid, Magnesium Stearate, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone.

The Magnesium sulfate is epsom salt- I wouldn't put that in my hair. The Citric Acid can be drying too. There are a few other ingredients I don't recognize ever being in hair care items so have no idea how they would affect the hair shaft long term.

eta: But since the first two ingredients are mineral oil and vaseline, it would be difficult to feel the drying effects of some other ingredients right away. Doesn't mean they're good for the hair.

Don't get me wrong, nycelle, I wouldn't put it in my hair either (it's great for my face). If I were to choose anything that occlusive, I would go for plain vaseline first!

OP, there's so many styling products out there. Maybe get the Cantu leave-in, is very cost effective and a nice cream, and I bet that would be a lot better than this!

nycelle
November 7th, 2018, 01:36 PM
Don't get me wrong, nycelle, I wouldn't put it in my hair either (it's great for my face). If I were to choose anything that occlusive, I would go for plain vaseline first!

OP, there's so many styling products out there. Maybe get the Cantu leave-in, is very cost effective and a nice cream, and I bet that would be a lot better than this!

I know you wouldn't. I was just going over the ingredients (in the US version.)

I also have no idea what some of the ingredients are, or at least how they affect the hair.

Have a funny story about the words "cost effective (OT but you reminded me of it).

Hubs and I were in Crete, Greece 5 or so years ago. He wanted to try a wine from the area so asked for something local when we were having dinner. The waiter was taken aback and said "Sir, if you'd like something cost-effective, I can recommend other wines" hahahaha.. He had no clue it wasn't about the money, and thought Chris (hubs) wanted a cheap wine, when in reality, he just wanted to try something local. It was hysterical though. :lol::lol:

lapushka
November 7th, 2018, 02:17 PM
LOL about the wine story.

There's so many good creams out there:

-Eden Bodyworks curl cream
-Curl Enhancing smoothie by Shea Moisture
-Frizz-Taming smoothie by Shea Moisture
-Cantu Leave-in

are some of the ones I have tried underneath gel and a serum and they do not flake (but I don't use excessive amounts, I must say).

I'm sure there's other great options besides the Nivea blue tin!

It is great for my face, though, and I do remember a blue tin thread but as I recall it was for facial application. At least, in my memory. I could be so wrong, though!

ghanima
November 7th, 2018, 02:49 PM
Yeah sure I have a cupboard full of hair products, and I agree that it makes probably more sense to use hair creams than Nivea. I was just curious, as I remembered this post but then I don't remember how she used it. Btw my hair still looks and feels soft and nice, the day after.
About the ingredients you guys mentioned, epsom salts make my hair frizzy and dry (I used to take lots of epsom salt baths, and I had to pay attention not to wet my hair) but citric acid is a bit like AVC without the bad smell, and it makes them soft and shiny, I don't find it drying.

lapushka
November 7th, 2018, 03:04 PM
Yeah sure I have a cupboard full of hair products, and I agree that it makes probably more sense to use hair creams than Nivea. I was just curious, as I remembered this post but then I don't remember how she used it. Btw my hair still looks and feels soft and nice, the day after.
About the ingredients you guys mentioned, epsom salts make my hair frizzy and dry (I used to take lots of epsom salt baths, and I had to pay attention not to wet my hair) but citric acid is a bit like AVC without the bad smell, and it makes them soft and shiny, I don't find it drying.

Oh I know the feeling, back when I was still experimenting with a lot of things. You have so much, but still want to try that "odd" thing. Not anymore; learned my lesson.

I think I'll just stick to what is specifically for hair. But that's me.

If it works for you, ghanima, more power to you! :)

nycelle
November 7th, 2018, 03:08 PM

It's a common misconception with many things that just because we don't see, or feel the effect right away, there's no effect. That's not true.

Epsom salt is drying, but it's not the only component in the cream. It's also an ingredient that a company who puts out lotions, isn't going to want you to feel. Hence the other ingredients (like vaseline).
But that doesn't change the fact that it could very well be damaging to the hair with long term use. I mean it's not something you're going to readily see in hair products.

At the end of the day though, if you like it and are comfortable using it, that's all that matters.

ghanima
November 8th, 2018, 06:51 AM
Like I said, I was just curious.

blackgothicdoll
November 10th, 2018, 05:04 PM
Mineral oil is not good for curly hair - or any hair. This is an ingredient in vaseline, though, so I presume if you've had good effects with vaseline then you would like other products with mineral oil. It is the product most likely being pointed out to cause build up, as it is not water soluble and is known to require a stronger sulfate to remove. For curly hair, that leads to frizz, dryness, and breakage if it is not clarified and the hair is unable to recieve moisture.

I'd suggest using something like whipped shea butter, just a little dab rubbed into your palm over your damp ends. I live by it. :) And you can use it on your skin, too, of course!

lapushka
November 10th, 2018, 05:15 PM
Mineral oil is not good for curly hair - or any hair. This is an ingredient in vaseline, though, so I presume if you've had good effects with vaseline then you would like other products with mineral oil. It is the product most likely being pointed out to cause build up, as it is not water soluble and is known to require a stronger sulfate to remove. For curly hair, that leads to frizz, dryness, and breakage if it is not clarified and the hair is unable to recieve moisture.

I'd suggest using something like whipped shea butter, just a little dab rubbed into your palm over your damp ends. I live by it. :) And you can use it on your skin, too, of course!

YMMV, your mileage may vary.

I don't have curly hair, just wavy, but I have to wash with a strong sulfate due to a scalp issue. And on top of that I used to use baby oil in the rinse-out oil method.

It's different for everyone, there's no one size fits all. I don't think you can generalize. :) :flower:

blackgothicdoll
November 10th, 2018, 05:57 PM
YMMV, your mileage may vary.

I don't have curly hair, just wavy, but I have to wash with a strong sulfate due to a scalp issue. And on top of that I used to use baby oil in the rinse-out oil method.

It's different for everyone, there's no one size fits all. I don't think you can generalize. :) :flower:

Oh, of course. Sorry, I usually remember to foot stomp that that was "my experience". It is commonly circulated that mineral oil, petrolatum, cones etc. are bad for hair (in general), but again, there's always someone who likes it and if they do then there's no need to change it. Nothing I say is gospel, just my research + exp. :)

Also, the frizzy, dryness and breakage I was talking about was referring to mineral oil locking out moisture, not sulfate shampoos!! I am absolutely not against sulfate shampoos, especially as someone who uses heavy oils and butters. I use sulfates when it's time to get off build-up. :)

lapushka
November 11th, 2018, 04:13 AM
Oh, of course. Sorry, I usually remember to foot stomp that that was "my experience". It is commonly circulated that mineral oil, petrolatum, cones etc. are bad for hair (in general), but again, there's always someone who likes it and if they do then there's no need to change it. Nothing I say is gospel, just my research + exp. :)

Also, the frizzy, dryness and breakage I was talking about was referring to mineral oil locking out moisture, not sulfate shampoos!! I am absolutely not against sulfate shampoos, especially as someone who uses heavy oils and butters. I use sulfates when it's time to get off build-up. :)

I totally get it! :flower: No worries.

ghanima
November 15th, 2018, 02:57 AM
@blackgothicdoll
I am curly so your post is in subject for me. Thank you for the recommendations, none of that is new to me, and my hair has a different behavior than yours.
Mineral oil is neither good nor bad for my hair: used in small quantities, as it should be used, I never noticed much of a difference. It needs be used on wet hair, so it locks the moisture in. So I do not agree it necessarily causes dryness and frizz, in fact mineral oil is quite phenomenal in locking-in the moisture.
As for rinsing it, I never had problems but I do use shampoos because co-washing, which otherwise I like, makes me shed like crazy. I recurrently give it a try but the hair in the floor reminds me I should be wiser.

I haven't found a good way to use shea butter, as much as I tried, because I loved the idea, and I love the feeling and velvety texture of shea butter, both alone heated in my hands and mixed with leave-in and olive oil. Both my face skin and my hair seem to strongly disagree with it, I don't know why, and it makes my hair awfully stringy. So meh...
So far what has always been most reliable is oils, all kinds of oils except for coconut oil which dries my points.

Now all this is no big deal as I have cut my hair in a bob and at this length I don't need to nourish it all that much, it's more about styling it. I kind of gave up with the idea of long hair, given that tangles are an ineliminable part of my texture, and mechanical damage is real. I still take good care of it and I am always looking for ways to style it without spending hours on it. My aim when styling is mostly to soften the hair and bring the curls towards looking more like waves, as I like it better, while keeping the nice volume. Frizz is no big deal as long as I use some gel, even in modest amounts.

lapushka
November 15th, 2018, 06:27 AM
@blackgothicdoll
I am curly so your post is in subject for me. Thank you for the recommendations, none of that is new to me, and my hair has a different behavior than yours.
Mineral oil is neither good nor bad for my hair: used in small quantities, as it should be used, I never noticed much of a difference. It needs be used on wet hair, so it locks the moisture in. So I do not agree it necessarily causes dryness and frizz, in fact mineral oil is quite phenomenal in locking-in the moisture.
As for rinsing it, I never had problems but I do use shampoos because co-washing, which otherwise I like, makes me shed like crazy. I recurrently give it a try but the hair in the floor reminds me I should be wiser.

I haven't found a good way to use shea butter, as much as I tried, because I loved the idea, and I love the feeling and velvety texture of shea butter, both alone heated in my hands and mixed with leave-in and olive oil. Both my face skin and my hair seem to strongly disagree with it, I don't know why, and it makes my hair awfully stringy. So meh...
So far what has always been most reliable is oils, all kinds of oils except for coconut oil which dries my points.

Now all this is no big deal as I have cut my hair in a bob and at this length I don't need to nourish it all that much, it's more about styling it. I kind of gave up with the idea of long hair, given that tangles are an ineliminable part of my texture, and mechanical damage is real. I still take good care of it and I am always looking for ways to style it without spending hours on it. My aim when styling is mostly to soften the hair and bring the curls towards looking more like waves, as I like it better, while keeping the nice volume. Frizz is no big deal as long as I use some gel, even in modest amounts.

What about shea butter (not straight up) in products, processed?

Do you use any commercial curl creams, leave-ins, at all? Just curious.

blackgothicdoll
November 15th, 2018, 08:19 AM
@blackgothicdoll

I've never seen mineral oil used that way, so that's all simply new to me! A lot of CG readings say mineral oil, petrolatum and cones are no good, but I know plenty of people who use cones with no problems so I presume mineral oil is similar. My hair doesn't like all three of these, unfortunately, as there are some products that I want to like but mineral oil or dimethicone usually give it a sticky feeling. Out of curiosity, do you use sulfate shampoos? I only ask because it's commonly stated that silicones can only be dissovled with sulfates, so using the two together really aren't problematic since there won't be build-up.

I think shea butter is definitely not a one-size-fits all. I used to hate it, honestly, until I whipped it in an oil at a 50/50 ratio, then I only use what will fit on the tip of my finger, rub that in my hands and onto my hair. This could still be too greasy/heavy for some.

More curiousity; have you tried using the nivea cream as of yet?

lapushka
November 15th, 2018, 08:22 AM
I've never seen mineral oil used that way, so that's all simply new to me! A lot of CG readings say mineral oil, petrolatum and cones are no good, but I know plenty of people who use cones with no problems so I presume mineral oil is similar. My hair doesn't like all three of these, unfortunately, as there are some products that I want to like but mineral oil or dimethicone usually give it a sticky feeling. Out of curiosity, do you use sulfate shampoos? I only ask because it's commonly stated that silicones can only be dissovled with sulfates, so using the two together really aren't problematic since there won't be build-up.

I think shea butter is definitely not a one-size-fits all. I used to hate it, honestly, until I whipped it in an oil at a 50/50 ratio, then I only use what will fit on the tip of my finger, rub that in my hands and onto my hair. This could still be too greasy/heavy for some.

More curiousity; have you tried using the nivea cream as of yet?

Some silicones are water-soluble. It depends on the silicone itself.

I am also curious as to whether you used the cream on your hair yet, OP? :)