PDA

View Full Version : Can you use regular conditioner as deep conditioner?

LittleOgre
November 6th, 2018, 12:21 PM
I was wondering if I were to leave a regular conditioner in as a deep conditioner. Wouldn't I be provided the same benefits?

Lua
November 6th, 2018, 01:31 PM
I have done this once or twice and it was great for my hair. When I dyed my hair with semi permanent colors, pink then purple then recently blue, I wanted them to be pastel colors so I used conditioner to dillute some drops of the semi permanent dyes, to make the pastel colors, and left it for an hour.... every time I did this, my hair came out AMAZING, super hidrated, strong.
I guess it was because I was doing it to color my hair, I applied it on dry hair and didn’t miss a single strand. If I wanted to do this again now I would need to buy a small conditioner bottle to use in one go, because that’s how much I used before!
In my experience, at least, regular conditioners can be valid deep conditioner treatments. But I would be cautious with the brand, see if they have too much silicone or mineral oil in them... but that’s just me and I’m not an expert.
But basically, all the times I did deep treatments with normal conditoners, my hair came out really really good. I think the secret is to apply a lot and let it sit for a long time.

chiapommama
November 6th, 2018, 01:55 PM
Have you seen the SMT thread floating around here somewhere? An SMT basically is conditioner honey, and aloe mixed together.But even putting plain conditioner on hair and letting it sit for a while I think does have benefits too.

AutobotsAttack
November 6th, 2018, 03:20 PM
Depends on your hair type. Some can some can’t.

lapushka
November 6th, 2018, 03:48 PM
I typically condition twice (WCC method) and so I sometimes use 2 conditioners, sometimes a mask and a conditioner and sometimes 2 masks. Sometimes my conditioners outperform the mask; it just all depends on the products themselves.

nycelle
November 6th, 2018, 03:54 PM
I think it depends on your hair, and the ingredients. For instance, I wouldn't use a regular, protein heavy conditioner as a deep conditioner since it's not meant to stay in your hair too long. If you use it incorrectly, you'll cause more harm than good.

Natashap
November 6th, 2018, 11:44 PM
Ofcourse you can.

I do it all the time.

YvetteVarie
November 7th, 2018, 03:03 AM
I think it depends. I normally add in a few extras (honey, bananas, avocados, aloe vera,coconut oil etc) to add some oompf.

Dark40
November 10th, 2018, 05:09 PM
Yes you can. I do it all of the time too.

Ylva
November 10th, 2018, 05:11 PM
Yes you can, but I would opt for a hydrating conditioner in that case rather than a protein one. Maybe adding some extra ingredients wouldn't hurt, either.

Curlyeve
November 13th, 2018, 04:16 AM
If your hair is damaged, it can certainly benefit from using deep conditioner every wash. When I had bleach damage, I did this all the time. Now, that my damage is gone, I don't need to, but I sometimes go through phase of doing it anyway. It doesn't harm my hair, I am just too lazy to do it every single wash 😀.

reilly0167
November 15th, 2018, 11:17 AM
I do it as well, i like to add my oils and butters to it. My hair does well, even with heavy additives i put in. My curls thrive on it. Now that i live in MO, i gonna do it twice a week and keep it oiled and braided.

Reservechic
November 15th, 2018, 12:15 PM
When, I condition my hair, I always deep condition it. I deep condition using regular conditioners and those labeled as deep conditioners too. My hair doesn't know the difference, unless the conditioner happens to be a really crappy one. I use heat when I deep condition (normally a hair steamer or sometimes my Hot Head Thermal Conditioning Cap), anywhere from 30-60 minutes, because it allows for maximum penetration of the conditioner into my hair and optimal results. As, conditioning without heat is a no-go for my hair at this point in my hair journey. So, I just stick with what I find works best!

bokeh
November 15th, 2018, 07:06 PM
I do in a pinch. I like to add about a teaspoon of honey and a little bit of olive oil (or any good oil).

Curlyeve
November 16th, 2018, 06:22 AM
OMG, I thought you asked the other way around. I feel so stupid right now :doh:.

To answer your question, you can add some things into your normal conditioner, to boost it:
-oils
-honey
-aloe vera gel
-avocado
-banana
-cassia obovata, henna (if you don't mind the color change)
-amla
-gelatin...

If you really don't want to add things, you can leave your conditioner longer in your hair, and put a shower cap on. That way the conditioner can penetrate deeper into your hair, because of the heat of your body. You can even heat up the towel and put it over the shower cap.

I really hope, I didn't confuse you too much with my previous post :oops:

r3d
November 16th, 2018, 07:28 AM
yes, you can! like most have already said, leave it on for longer, maybe even put a cap over it :) happy conditioning!