PDA

View Full Version : Silk pillowcases and hair oil

never.eden
November 5th, 2018, 10:33 AM
Hi,

we just ordered silk pillowcases and we've never had those before. I was just wondering, how does silk react to hair oils? We use almond oil based home made hair treatment with essential oils. Should we avoid overnight hair treatments, or is is okay? Is it easy to get oil off silk?

Sorry if this has been asked before, I'm not a super active user. Tried to use search, but it didn't give me any results.

nycelle
November 5th, 2018, 10:42 AM
I would imagine any oil not absorbed well will cause stains.

I use a silk sleep cap, but the times I've done overnight oil treatments, I just use a scrunchi and do a topknot. Get a satin pillowcase for those nights, they're much cheaper.

lapushka
November 5th, 2018, 11:18 AM
Hi,

we just ordered silk pillowcases and we've never had those before. I was just wondering, how does silk react to hair oils? We use almond oil based home made hair treatment with essential oils. Should we avoid overnight hair treatments, or is is okay? Is it easy to get oil off silk?

Sorry if this has been asked before, I'm not a super active user. Tried to use search, but it didn't give me any results.

Put a bathtowel down on your pillowcase if you are going to oil, or at least put one of those cheapie showercaps on.

Hairkay
November 5th, 2018, 12:23 PM
Hi,

Oil does leave stains on silk which are quite difficult if not impossible to remove.

SwanFeathers
November 5th, 2018, 12:51 PM
This depends on if it is real silk or just a polyester satin weave. Mine are polyester and i just wash it in some dish soap and they are fine.

MusicalSpoons
November 5th, 2018, 01:01 PM
This depends on if it is real silk or just a polyester satin weave. Mine are polyester and i just wash it in some dish soap and they are fine.

Ditto this. I was mine with either a simple shampoo (no oils or other heavy ingredients to leave any residue) or the same detergent we use for laundry. I'd imagine silk would need a bit more care though.

I second nycelle's suggestion to use a satin pillowcase for when you do overnight treatments; they can be found very cheaply online (eBay and similar sites).

Hairkay
November 5th, 2018, 03:30 PM

She asked about silk so I think that is what she meant. If she had asked about silk or satin then this answer would fit.

lillii
November 5th, 2018, 05:55 PM
If your pillowcases are dark, you don't need to worry. If they are a light color, they will darken and lose their sheen depending on the type of silk. 100% silk, you'll want to hand wash or dry clean to keep in tiptop condition but for my silk pillowcases since I wash them every three days, I wash in the washing machine but I definitely notice a change in quality. With my light colored silks for my hair, they darken and the oil never comes out no matter which method of washing. So I switched over to cheaper, satin pillowcases specifically for when I am sleeping with an overnight treatment, unless I feel like wearing a wrap or a bonnet.

lenu60
November 5th, 2018, 07:39 PM
It will leave stains