PDA

View Full Version : What Do You Consider Hair Toys?

GrowlingCupcake
November 5th, 2018, 08:38 AM
I had a conversation lately:
Person: What are you shopping for?
Me: Hair toys.
Person: What are those?
Me: Uh... *cue not being able to define it*

So, what do you guys consider hair toys?

In my opinion, hair toys are: sticks, forks, ficcares, flexis, u-pins (LR style), and barrettes.
Things like hair friendly hair ties (or even unfriendly hair ties), scrunchies, spin pins, amish pins, etc. are utilitarian, and not really worn to be seen so they aren't hair toys. Scrunchies could be an exceptions to that.
But what about hair bands? They're there to be seen but it feels wrong thinking of them as hair toys.

What's your take on it?

nycelle
November 5th, 2018, 08:41 AM
I've never heard "hair toys" used before joining this forum. I used to call them by what they were- hair ties, scrunchies, forks.. etc.

Sarahlabyrinth
November 5th, 2018, 08:51 AM

In my opinion, hair toys are: sticks, forks, ficcares, flexis, u-pins (LR style), and barrettes.
Things like hair friendly hair ties (or even unfriendly hair ties), scrunchies, spin pins, amish pins, etc. are utilitarian, and not really worn to be seen so they aren't hair toys. Scrunchies could be an exceptions to that.
But what about hair bands? They're there to be seen but it feels wrong thinking of them as hair toys.

What's your take on it?

I agree with your definition of hair toys. :)

GrowlingCupcake
November 5th, 2018, 08:55 AM
I've never heard "hair toys" used before joining this forum. I used to call them by what they were- hair ties, scrunchies, forks.. etc.

How did you explain hair forks to people? If I bring up forks, they think I am referring to cutlery,

Sarahlabyrinth
November 5th, 2018, 08:57 AM
I would say that it's like a large fork without a handle.

nycelle
November 5th, 2018, 09:04 AM
How did you explain hair forks to people? If I bring up forks, they think I am referring to cutlery,

Where I live, everyone knows what a hair fork is. I guess it's a regional thing.

eta: Well I'm sure not "everyone", but I don't get blank stares when I use the term either..lol..

Angelica
November 5th, 2018, 10:32 AM
I use the good old-fashioned term of hair accessories. Everyone understands that. I just can't relate to the hair toy thing at all. I don't play with my hair and I certainly don't regard items that I put in my hair as "toys."

gossamer
November 5th, 2018, 10:40 AM
I use the good old-fashioned term of hair accessories. Everyone understands that. I just can't relate to the hair toy thing at all. I don't play with my hair and I certainly don't regard items that I put in my hair as "toys."

I agree with Angelica here. This discussion has come up before and the term "hair tool" has been suggested as a neutral alternative to "toy," which makes it sound like it's just a plaything rather than something that actually has a useful function.

TatsuOni
November 5th, 2018, 10:52 AM

What's your take on it?

I define hair toys the same way. But since I live in Sweden I only use the term online. Talking with people I use the names for things, like hair fork, hair slide and so on. Some things I use the English names for, since I don't know what they're called in Swedish :p

bparnell75
November 5th, 2018, 11:31 AM
I would say that it's like a large fork without a handle.

It is also a form of the older Spanish hair combs worn with veils. Or a version of the Chinese hair ornaments with several prongs.

I have only thought of hair toys as sticks, forks, alligator clips or u pins. All that other stuff that the rest of the population uses are just ordinary tools for the unimaginative. Who would ever think of a Bobby pi as a toy? We decorate with our toys. That is why they are toys. One could accomplish many styles we do with other tools. My opinion.

lapushka
November 5th, 2018, 11:33 AM

What's your take on it?

All kinds of hair accessories. I am not sure who coined the word "toys" but it's just another word for hair accessories; that's all it is. And so it includes absolutely everything. It was never meant to mean anything specific.

So please don't make that distinction; it's difficult enough as it is. ;)

spitfire511
November 5th, 2018, 11:53 AM
It feels a little like arguing semantics - Hair toy - hair accessory - to-MAY-to, to-MAH-to. Maybe I'm just too easy going about it though.

The only time I personally call them toys is here... everywhere else it's just what it is. And if someone asked what I was looking for I'd likely just say 'hair stuff'.

MusicalSpoons
November 5th, 2018, 12:08 PM
Hairtoys online, hair 'specific accessory' IRL :grin:

I agree with your definition though; hairtoys are the decorative and fun things we use that are good for our hair*. The boring, mundane tools such as clips/pins (hair-friendly or not) are not hairtoys. The only fun thing about spin pins or Amish pins is that they can do their job invisibly and without damaging the hair. Maybe that's more cool than fun, actually :hmm:

*the best actual toys help a child's development through play, so it seems fitting that we should take pleasure in the things that are good for our hair!