PDA

View Full Version : What is your holy grail product for reducing tangles

MoonRabbit
November 3rd, 2018, 01:24 PM
I'm at a loss with my tangle prone hair. Any recommendations for a product that helps reduce the chance of tangles?

I'm currently cone free but I don't think it is making my hair any better so I'm not fully committed and willing to try a cone product.

JennGalt
November 3rd, 2018, 02:20 PM
A vinegar rinse seems to make a big difference for me, and I noticed an improvement after Shea Moisture’s JBCO deep treatment masque.

I accidentally clicked on the catnip thread this morning and ended up reading that thread for quite a while. I haven’t tried it, but I think I will once I’ve used up a few half-full bottles of conditioner. It seems pretty promising.

Edit: here’s the thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=476) if you’re interested

lapushka
November 3rd, 2018, 03:22 PM
I'm at a loss with my tangle prone hair. Any recommendations for a product that helps reduce the chance of tangles?

I'm currently cone free but I don't think it is making my hair any better so I'm not fully committed and willing to try a cone product.

The Wet brush is a Godsend for me. I have a dupe that cost me 1.49 euro (still can't get over that).

When I used to detangle with a WT comb, I used to need a really heavy detangling conditioner (the HE Hello Hydration) and that way I could get through my hair without it snagging and without any tangles to speak of. Then I decided to use the Wet brush, thinking the hype was just that, a hype, all fluff and no substance. Yeah. Right. Boy, was I wrong. That thing is *amazing* and it gets through even better than a TT (Tangle Teezer) will. It just glides over knots, so you have to give it a couple passes when it's really knotty! But it is truly amazing because: NO TUGGING at the scalp. None! :cool:

So now I use my TT pre-wash because a lot of lint will come out and that is not pleasant in the Wet brush. And I will use the Wet brush on damp hair when my hair gets out the towel, pre-styling.

Yeah, can't recommend it more. :)

Dark40
November 3rd, 2018, 03:28 PM
My holy grail product I go to for tangles is Mane N Tail Detangler. I use it after every wash.

Brittny
November 3rd, 2018, 03:47 PM
I am very prone to tangles and neck dreads! I usually use Suave or VO5 Conditioner from the Dollar General because they are cheap and have a lot of slip so its easier to slide my Michel Mercier detangling brush through.

My holy grail product I go to for tangles is Mane N Tail Detangler. I use it after every wash.

I recently bought a bottle of Mane N Tail detangler from Walmart and I am honestly impressed! This is a good choice too. :o

Dark40
November 3rd, 2018, 08:48 PM
I am very prone to tangles and neck dreads! I usually use Suave or VO5 Conditioner from the Dollar General because they are cheap and have a lot of slip so its easier to slide my Michel Mercier detangling brush through.

I recently bought a bottle of Mane N Tail detangler from Walmart and I am honestly impressed! This is a good choice too. :o

That's great! :D Me and my mom always buy ours from the local beauty supply store. Anyone of them. I've also noticed that when I blow-dry my hair with it it gives my hair a beautiful shine, and the surface of my hair looks really nice! :) I've also noticed that it mends split ends as well! Even though I don't get them but if you read the instructions it says that it's good for split ends.

mwallingford
November 3rd, 2018, 10:11 PM
I would also recommend a tangle teezer or wet brush. Maybe a good de-tangler would also help? I use NightBloomings herbal de-tangler (https://www.etsy.com/listing/253008762/selkie-herbal-detangler-1-oz-sample?ref=shop_home_active_3&bes=1) but if you're unable to get that or aren't interested you can probably find a good one at your local store

Jo Ann
November 4th, 2018, 01:10 AM
I wouldn't be able to get through my mane (now that I've bleached 2/3 of it :shocked: ) without at LEAST HH.

I get excellent results using HH as my second conditioner (I WCC), followed by a modified LOC (I leave out the "C" ;) ), using SM's JBCO leave-in and coconut oil--my wide-tooth comb just glides through my hair!

I also use my wide-tooth comb twice a day on my hair--when I put it up and before I braid it when I go to bed.

school of fish
November 4th, 2018, 01:22 AM
I wish I had one... ;)

This might be a weird suggestion, but one thing that's reduced the tangles for me on my cobwebby texture is rinsing out my conditioner while assisting very gently with a wide-ish tooth comb. At some point I realized that my hair compresses down so much that I wasn't able to fully rinse out my conditioner - the comb creates the space between the strands for water to access and rinse out the product.

Tangles have reduced about as much as they ever will on my texture with that addition to my routine - maybe something to try in addition to other suggesions :)

RavenMane
November 4th, 2018, 01:40 AM
As far as a detangler goes- the Shea Moisture Kids Detangler (I think the line is called coconut and hibiscus) works really well for me, and it doesn't have cones. It smells nice too. It's in a clear spray bottle with a pink label.
I recently used a clarifying shampoo on my hair. I usually just wash my roots and then let the water rinse the shampoo down my lengths. But this last time I actually washed all my lengths to make sure I clarified better. I used the inexpensive Suave Clarifying Shampoo. After washing, and without even using conditioner, my hair was much easier to detangle. I think build up was a lot of my problem.
Detangling with a wide toothed comb, or pick, or wet-brush with water running through my hair also makes detangling smoother.
Anyway, I feel your pain! I've had tangly hair my whole life. I'm beginning to think wax buildup is the culprit. On the water-only thread they mention how even shampoo won't remove the waxy part of sebum our scalps produce. That it has to be removed by combing or brushing or toweling, and I think they're on to something.

VersLaLumière
November 4th, 2018, 01:56 AM
We have the same hair type and I get to my wit’s end sometimes too with tangles. I like Shea Moisture JBCO leave-in
and the Shea Moisture Detangler, which I use together or separately as needed.

I’ve come to accept that at this point my hair can’t be completely sulfate and cone free, otherwise I get nightmare tangles. Sulfates clarify well. I’m switching back and forth between cone-free for a while and then back to cones.

Alba Botanica Drink It Up Coconut Milk Shampoo and Conditioner works great for me for reducing tangles. I’ve used it off and on for years. It has a bit of cones but not too heavy. Sometimes I have some scalp itchiness, so I add a few drops of tea tree oil into my palm and mix it with the shampoo during washes. Works perfectly.

I like Living Proof products, but if I use them too long without switching it up I get tangle hell.

The occasional hot olive oil treatment also helps soften my hair and reduce tangles.

Krissycats
November 4th, 2018, 01:08 AM
I've been using NeuMoisture Instant Fix by Neuma. It's a leave-in conditioner/detangler. I also use VO5 for my first condition, followed by one of the heavier Garnier Whole Blends, usually the Coconut and Cocoa Butter or the Olive Oil conditioner.

Alibran
November 4th, 2018, 06:08 AM
Conditioner. Conditioner. More conditioner.

The better moisturised hair is, the less it tangles. Leave in as much conditioner as you can get away with.

egcmi
November 4th, 2018, 10:18 AM
I used to be silicone free but I recently tried a silicone-heavy conditioner just to see the difference and discovered that nothing beats silicones for slip IMHO. I used the sunsilk brand, cannot recommend you the exact product as I don't know which name it goes by internationally or if it is sold elsewhere at all. Anyways I picked it simply because I wanted to try a very silicony conditioner and that happened to have dimethicone second in the ingredient list, maybe you can find something similar

MusicalSpoons
November 4th, 2018, 10:26 AM
I've found a conditioner heavy in plant oils with PEG-10 Dimethicone works wonders for my hair, along with using the rinse-out oil method. If you're not keen to go all in with silicones, water-soluble ones might be a good compromise. Also amodimethicone doesn't build up due to its chemistry so again, maybe a compromise.

(The exact conditioner I use is just called Macadamia Oil Extract Conditioner, made for Xpel Marketing and I've only ever found in cheapie / £1 shops over here.)

Edit: I second Alibran's comment about moisture - I've been double-conditioning for several months now and combining that with tweaks in my routine has greatly reduced tangles for me. Though it might be that your hair is more sensitive to any kind of product being left on it like school of fish's, so again YMMV!

Joules
November 4th, 2018, 11:40 AM
Coney conditioners and leave-ins. Hands down. I kept trying to beat my tangly ends into submission for 5 months before buying a conditioner with silicones (non-buildup types). It changed the game.

MoonRabbit
November 4th, 2018, 07:17 PM
I've found a conditioner heavy in plant oils with PEG-10 Dimethicone works wonders for my hair, along with using the rinse-out oil method. If you're not keen to go all in with silicones, water-soluble ones might be a good compromise. Also amodimethicone doesn't build up due to its chemistry so again, maybe a compromise.

(The exact conditioner I use is just called Macadamia Oil Extract Conditioner, made for Xpel Marketing and I've only ever found in cheapie / £1 shops over here.)

Edit: I second Alibran's comment about moisture - I've been double-conditioning for several months now and combining that with tweaks in my routine has greatly reduced tangles for me. Though it might be that your hair is more sensitive to any kind of product being left on it like school of fish's, so again YMMV!

I did a double condition last wash, I didn't feel any difference but maybe I need to stick with it for a bit to see some results.

A vinegar rinse seems to make a big difference for me, and I noticed an improvement after Shea Moisture’s JBCO deep treatment masque.

I accidentally clicked on the catnip thread this morning and ended up reading that thread for quite a while. I haven’t tried it, but I think I will once I’ve used up a few half-full bottles of conditioner. It seems pretty promising.

Edit: here’s the thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=476) if you’re interested

I've been thinking about trying SM again because my hair loved it when I was using sulfates. But I am worried now that it might be too heavy and I will have to deal with the waxy build up. Worth a try nonetheless.

Coney conditioners and leave-ins. Hands down. I kept trying to beat my tangly ends into submission for 5 months before buying a conditioner with silicones (non-buildup types). It changed the game.

I never used a leave in before, so maybe I will experiment with those. What type of non build up cones should I be looking out for in my products?

nycelle
November 4th, 2018, 07:26 PM
What products are you using now?

I don't think there are any amazing cone free products for detangling out there. There are some good ones, but even the best aren't as good as cones.
What works best for me is just using a leave-in every day.

Also, yesterday I tried NYMN Blue line and didn't find the conditioner moisturizing enough for me (no oils or butters and silicone free), so I used it twice, second time just on my ends and didn't rinse out
completely (I did wash most of it out.) It's incredible how moisturized my ends are even today, and no major tangles. I haven't even used a leave-in since washing yesterday.

Doreen
November 4th, 2018, 07:30 PM
I do CWC and I finger comb while applying conditioner. I used to use a tangle teezer immediately after getting out of the shower, but since starting CWC instead of WC, I find that I don't have to anymore. The best conditioner for detangling that I've found is Tresemme moisture rich (heavy on the silicones). I made a detangling spray by mixing roughly 1tbsp of Tresemme and 8oz of water and spraying as needed.

Obsidian
November 4th, 2018, 07:52 PM
My hair is fairly damaged so even though its short, it tangles pretty badly at times. I've been using suave for children spray in detangler. Really makes it easy to brush out and it leaves my hair soft/shiny. I also love my wet brush.

Joules
November 5th, 2018, 12:48 AM
I never used a leave in before, so maybe I will experiment with those. What type of non build up cones should I be looking out for in my products?

If you never used leave-ins before, then you can try using cone-free ones first. I agree with nycelle that cone-free products aren't the best detanglers, but they can make just enough difference for you.

Here are non-buildup type cones, those ones adhere only to damaged parts of hair (I even used products with those cones when I co-washed, and there was zero buildup)

Amodimethicone
Bis-Amino PEG/PPG-41/3 Aminoethyl PG-Propyl Dimethicone
Bis-Aminopropyl Dimethicone
Dimethicone Propyl PG-Betaine
Trimethyl Silylamodimethicone
Silicone Quaternium with various numbers
And al kinds of Polyquaterniums (they're not silicones, but great at adding slip nevertheless, I have a kids detangling spray that contains only one polyquat, and it's glorious)

Here where I live a lot of conditioners from Garnier and Aussie contain only those types of cones, there's a few in the Elseve/Elvive brand too.

YvetteVarie
November 5th, 2018, 05:01 AM
My holy grail product may not be suitable for you because of hair type differences. I use shea butter (my current mixture has castor oil and grapeseed oil mixed with it) and its the best thing I have ever used for my hair. My tangling has been reduced significantly, and despite neglecting my hair due to bad health in June-August, I have managed to grow from APL to BSB. So, I would recommend shea butter for kinky curly hair types like myself

egcmi
November 5th, 2018, 08:23 AM
If you never used leave-ins before, then you can try using cone-free ones first. I agree with nycelle that cone-free products aren't the best detanglers, but they can make just enough difference for you.

Here are non-buildup type cones, those ones adhere only to damaged parts of hair (I even used products with those cones when I co-washed, and there was zero buildup)

Amodimethicone
And al kinds of Polyquaterniums (they're not silicones, but great at adding slip nevertheless, I have a kids detangling spray that contains only one polyquat, and it's glorious)

Here where I live a lot of conditioners from Garnier and Aussie contain only those types of cones, there's a few in the Elseve/Elvive brand too.

Also I've read that whichever silicone won't buildup if it has PEG- or PPG- in the name, as that will make it water soluble

MoonRabbit
November 5th, 2018, 10:47 AM
What products are you using now?

I don't think there are any amazing cone free products for detangling out there. There are some good ones, but even the best aren't as good as cones.
What works best for me is just using a leave-in every day.

Also, yesterday I tried NYMN Blue line and didn't find the conditioner moisturizing enough for me (no oils or butters and silicone free), so I used it twice, second time just on my ends and didn't rinse out
completely (I did wash most of it out.) It's incredible how moisturized my ends are even today, and no major tangles. I haven't even used a leave-in since washing yesterday.

Currently using Garnier Smoothing Treat deep treatment, Loreal Ever Pure Moisture Shampoo and Tresemme Botanique Conditioner.

Amodimethicone

I have a bottle of Aussie mega moist shampoo and 3 minute miracle. They both contain straight up Dimethicone.

I also have a bottle of HH and it contains Bis-Animopropyl Dimethicone but I had to stop using it because I was getting hella buildup with it. GAhh I am so confused.

nycelle
November 5th, 2018, 11:12 AM
Currently using Garnier Smoothing Treat deep treatment, Loreal Ever Pure Moisture Shampoo and Tresemme Botanique Conditioner.

I have a bottle of Aussie mega moist shampoo and 3 minute miracle. They both contain straight up Dimethicone.

I also have a bottle of HH and it contains Bis-Animopropyl Dimethicone but I had to stop using it because I was getting hella buildup with it. GAhh I am so confused.

grrrrl... you're using my least favorite companies for moisture and good detangling. If you're gonna use cones maybe try Pantene, I don't think any drugstore brand beats them for slip. At least none that I've tried.

For -cone free (and butter and oil free too) I've heard good things about Kinky Curly Knot today. It's next on my list of things to get. My go to is Briogeo Rosarco Milk leave-in though.

MoonRabbit
November 5th, 2018, 12:59 PM
grrrrl... you're using my least favorite companies for moisture and good detangling. If you're gonna use cones maybe try Pantene, I don't think any drugstore brand beats them for slip. At least none that I've tried.

For -cone free (and butter and oil free too) I've heard good things about Kinky Curly Knot today. It's next on my list of things to get. My go to is Briogeo Rosarco Milk leave-in though.

I like to stick with drugstore which is why I picked up tresemme since it was the only cone free I could find and it was highly recommended on here to be the best cone free with great slip. It has amazing slip while applying and rinsing out but doesn't remain once my hair is dry.

I just can not find the line between slip and no build up. Cone free doesn't do enough to keep my hair from grabbing but it does stop my hair from becoming crunchy. Cones cause my ends to be really crunchy and I get build up with one use. The end result is always tangles no matter what I try. Maybe it is a texture thing idk but it seems ever since I hit bcl things started to go down hill. I have been maintaining at tbl for the past 5 months and have trimmed off 2 inches and it still has not improved the stress of tangles.

All I want is to be able to run my fingers through my hair again, I might have to cut back to hip if I can not figure out this issue.

nycelle
November 5th, 2018, 01:07 PM
I like to stick with drugstore which is why I picked up tresemme since it was the only cone free I could find and it was highly recommended on here to be the best cone free with great slip. It has amazing slip while applying and rinsing out but doesn't remain once my hair is dry.

I just can not find the line between slip and no build up. Cone free doesn't do enough to keep my hair from grabbing but it does stop my hair from becoming crunchy. Cones cause my ends to be really crunchy and I get build up with one use. The end result is always tangles no matter what I try. Maybe it is a texture thing idk but it seems ever since I hit bcl things started to go down hill. I have been maintaining at tbl for the past 5 months and have trimmed off 2 inches and it still has not improved the stress of tangles.

All I want is to be able to run my fingers through my hair again, I might have to cut back to hip if I can not figure out this issue.

have you tried to just leave a little bit of conditioner in your hair? I did that the other day and it was a wonderful way to keep my hair tangle free (it's now two days later and I haven't used a leave-in.) I would recommend that the conditioner is oil and butter free though as that could cause build-up quickly and you get sticky ends.

MoonRabbit
November 5th, 2018, 01:22 PM
have you tried to just leave a little bit of conditioner in your hair? I did that the other day and it was a wonderful way to keep my hair tangle free (it's now two days later and I haven't used a leave-in.) I would recommend that the conditioner is oil and butter free though as that could cause build-up quickly and you get sticky ends.

I definitely over rinse my conditioner. I'm always nervous about not rinsing enough and ending up with greasy hair after drying and I loathe when that happens. But I'll try rinsing just enough to keep some slip in.

nycelle
November 5th, 2018, 01:39 PM
I definitely over rinse my conditioner. I'm always nervous about not rinsing enough and ending up with greasy hair after drying and I loathe when that happens. But I'll try rinsing just enough to keep some slip in.

I have the same issue, over rinsing. But I just got new products (silicone, oil and butter free) and I used the conditioner twice on my ends- barely rinsing out the second time. Haven't had any real tangles. I think CG is right with that one. When you're a wavy/curly, leave a bit of conditioner in, it really does work. It just needs to be light enough not to cause issues.

RottenMango
April 25th, 2019, 06:14 PM
Any serum works for me. My hair just loves cones.

GrowinIt
April 25th, 2019, 06:46 PM
Knock on wood but I don't get tangles. I mean, I use a wide tooth comb or my fingers and never run into any. Is this something that happens when hair gets longer? I'm only at BSL right now.

milosmomma
April 25th, 2019, 11:32 PM
I started trying to go cone free when I cut out my damage bleached ends 2 years ago and could actually get away wiht NOT using them. The bleach just had to have them. I have experimented quite a while now and found my holy grails of cone free products.
Hands down Eden bodyworks almond marshmallow deep conditioner. I could use nothing but this product and have amazing slip but I usually pair it with ROO and have been loving meadowfoam seed oil for that purpose(along with hemp and few other oils, but the meadowfoam is in first place right now). My hair feels like I've used cones, just that level of slip, and it lasts until next wash too. Well I really only go 3-4 days at the longest because my scalp asks for it, but my actual lengths could go longer. My hair is getting long enough that I might start some scalp only washes just to see if I can stretch that out.
Other great products I use that I think have all been mentioned are Kinky curl knot today and the shea moisture kids detangler. I do find it's easy to over do these with my hair so less is more with those. I also second a wet brush and tangle teezer if you don't already, even though I've most been finger detangling lately just because tangles are such a non-issue that I can get away with it(and I'm lazy and not digging through the bathroom drawers is appealing :lol: )

poli
April 26th, 2019, 12:00 AM
Conditioner alone usually gets the tangles out for me. If it doesn't work for some reason, I found two products that work flawlessly to "melt" the tangles - Shea Moisture Detangler and Alterra Conditioner Bio-Pomegranate and Aloe.

Begemot
April 26th, 2019, 01:12 AM
Deep cleansing shampoo used more or less regularly. My hair gets coated somewhat easily and no conditioner, oil or leave-in will help if my hair is coated.

Panthera
April 26th, 2019, 02:26 AM
One of the best silicone free conditioners for detangling is Tresemme Nourish&replenish conditioner. If cheap drugstore products aren't an option, Kinky curly Knot today is even better. I personally wouldn't waste it for detangling though, tresemme gets the job done.