PDA

View Full Version : Broken/Chipped Comb - Is it causing damage?

Shorty89
November 2nd, 2018, 09:15 PM
I recently dropped my horn comb and it chipped. (Pics below). Now, I've had troubles with dryness and breakage a bit lately but I'm wondering if the broken comb is making it worse. I did try to smooth it out with sandpaper but I'd like your opinions.

Should I:

A) Sand it down some more
B) Leave it as is
C) Get another comb (Quecraft is having a sale! :P)

First, here's the undamaged side.
https://i.imgur.com/ucXTtrz.jpg

And here's the chipped part (sorry for the bad photo)

https://i.imgur.com/e2ZSUNd.jpg

Thanks in advance!

shaluwm_agape
November 2nd, 2018, 09:23 PM
It could be causing snagging I say just buy a new one or you can sand it and put a varnish to seal & smooth

Shorty89
November 2nd, 2018, 10:10 PM
It could be causing snagging I say just buy a new one or you can sand it and put a varnish to seal & smooth

My major problem with that is the rotating postal strike and customs issues I've had with Quecraft. My last order got stuck there for almost two months. :( If I used varnish, what type would you recommend.

shaluwm_agape
November 2nd, 2018, 10:48 PM
There has to be black or clear resin varnish

MusicalSpoons
November 3rd, 2018, 07:39 AM
I can't actually see much in the second photo but if you have sandpaper in progressing levels of grit you may not even need varnish (unless horn is a material that *needs* sealing - I know nothing about it). For wood I've found sandpaper even just at 2000 or 2500 can make it not just smooth but shiny, though oiling in between passes with the sandpaper helps even more. Again, I know nothing about horn but sandpaper can be bought seriously cheaply online (mine was from eBay) and would be much quicker than a customs rigmarole :) for that matter, if horn *does* need varnish or some kind of other sealant, you can probably find something suitable cheaply online too.

lapushka
November 3rd, 2018, 08:08 AM
That's just the outer leg, that is not going to impact your hair or combing, I don't think. My mom's WT comb has that outer leg missing and one of the teeth next to it, she still uses it.

But if you want to go for the sale, we aren't holding you back. ;)

Shorty89
November 3rd, 2018, 09:59 AM
That's just the outer leg, that is not going to impact your hair or combing, I don't think. My mom's WT comb has that outer leg missing and one of the teeth next to it, she still uses it.

But if you want to go for the sale, we aren't holding you back. ;)

:lol: It is tempting. If it weren't for customs/postal issues I totally would - even without a chipped comb!

lapushka
November 3rd, 2018, 10:07 AM
Have you ever thought of the Hairsense combs? I have a WT volume comb (red/bone) from them and I have been utterly pleased with it. Igor wasn't so lucky at the time she ordered (badly finished), but mine is perfect. I don't use WT combs anymore. I have switched to the TT (Tangle Teezer) and Wet Brush as it detangles without snagging, while my WT comb still would the Wet brush just glides over the knots in my damp hair.

Shorty89
November 3rd, 2018, 05:09 PM
I haven't thought about hairse we ones. Are they expensive? But, I have tried the Tangle Teaser and really didn't like it. I had breakage from it actually. I know most life it but I didn't. It makes a great cat brush though. :p

lapushka
November 4th, 2018, 04:28 PM
I haven't thought about hairse we ones. Are they expensive? But, I have tried the Tangle Teaser and really didn't like it. I had breakage from it actually. I know most life it but I didn't. It makes a great cat brush though. :p

I paid 11/12 $ for mine at the time. I'll look it up, hold on!
http://hairsense.com/product/volume-comb/

Amy-Lee
October 1st, 2020, 03:30 AM
I would buy another comb to play it safe. :)

lapushka
October 1st, 2020, 03:13 PM
I would buy another comb to play it safe. :)

It's a 2-year old thread. I'm assuming it's sorted now. But I know, these threads can get lives of their own. LOL!

Shorty89
October 1st, 2020, 04:39 PM
It's a 2-year old thread. I'm assuming it's sorted now. But I know, these threads can get lives of their own. LOL!

Was it that long ago that I broke my comb? :lol: It doesn't seem like that long ago. But yes, I did end up getting a new wooden comb. :)

Amy-Lee
October 1st, 2020, 06:35 PM

Haha.. I think I went 12 years back on some threads that wasn't ongoing. :laugh: I went overboard with comments lol.

Shorty89
October 1st, 2020, 08:26 PM
Haha.. I think I went 12 years back on some threads that wasn't ongoing. :laugh: I went overboard with comments lol.

Oops! I've almost done that a few times when I'm browsing old threads. I occasionally just randomly go to say page #50 of the Mane forum and have to remind myself not to comment.

MusicalSpoons
October 1st, 2020, 08:46 PM
Oops! I've almost done that a few times when I'm browsing old threads. I occasionally just randomly go to say page #50 of the Mane forum and have to remind myself not to comment.

Usually necro threads happen when new people want to post, someone's searching something specific, or someone's bored :lol:

I don't see anything wrong with it, though it can be a bit odd giving advice on questions that are half a decade old, or asking questions of the OP who may well not be around here any more. Considering we have main threads that are now 12 years old it doesn't exactly set a precedent for only sticking to recent threads :laugh: (obviously continuous activity over the years is different from bumping threads that were last active years ago, but I think you know what I mean.)

Besides, it can be quite fun to see how attitudes and advice changes, and sometimes the progress made by members between posting then and posting now on the same thread.

Shorty89
October 1st, 2020, 10:32 PM
Usually necro threads happen when new people want to post, someone's searching something specific, or someone's bored :lol:

I don't see anything wrong with it, though it can be a bit odd giving advice on questions that are half a decade old, or asking questions of the OP who may well not be around here any more. Considering we have main threads that are now 12 years old it doesn't exactly set a precedent for only sticking to recent threads :laugh: (obviously continuous activity over the years is different from bumping threads that were last active years ago, but I think you know what I mean.)

Besides, it can be quite fun to see how attitudes and advice changes, and sometimes the progress made by members between posting then and posting now on the same thread.

It can. What I find crazy is reading some things I used to try on my own hair when I first started on LHC. Things have definitely changed!

lapushka
October 2nd, 2020, 04:20 AM

Oh I have definitely been there, done that! :lol: