PDA

View Full Version : Hair Type?

WyntreBlossom
November 1st, 2018, 04:39 PM
So I took like a million hair type quizzes online, have looked at the typing guide, taken photo after photo. And I think I have even made a thread/asked before but that was back in may if I did.

I thought I was a 2A but starting to wonder if I might be 1c? Or somewhere in between

October 2018. Fresh after a shower and air dried. No towel or styling.
https://i.imgur.com/dIpB5AM.jpg

May 2018. Same conditions but brushed through lightly.
https://i.imgur.com/Frb7Y4R.jpg

November 2018: This is hair that has been worn in a bun all day and you would expect more bun waves but it just looks.... normal? Or almost normal.
https://i.imgur.com/08X9NzG.jpg

lithostoic
November 1st, 2018, 04:44 PM
The only photo that counts is one on freshly washed hair that hasn't been touched. Even curly hair will appear straight(ish) after being brushed and bunned. So judging by the first photo I'd say 1b. I can't spot any individual waves.

Ylva
November 1st, 2018, 04:45 PM
Maybe 1b/1c or just 1b. When I considered myself a solid 1c, I was notably wavier, but then again, I did change it to 1c/2a eventually, so I might have just been wrong. Either way, I don't see 2a.

Like always, I'm not a professional, so don't necessarily believe me! :flower:

lucid
November 1st, 2018, 04:51 PM
That's a lot of waves for 1b though? 1b hair appears straight, and this does not. I'd say 1c. It would be easier to judge with a better picture that isn't blurry, so individual strands can be seen better :)

nycelle
November 1st, 2018, 04:55 PM
I would also say 1c.

Your hair looks like it has the potential to be a 2 with the right products.

WyntreBlossom
November 1st, 2018, 04:57 PM
Maybe 1c is more accurate. I always thought 2a O.O. How interesting haha. Next wash day Ill post an updated photo here.

lapushka
November 1st, 2018, 05:00 PM
I think that is 1b.

Rowdy
November 1st, 2018, 05:01 PM
That looks like solid 1B hair to me. Very pretty!!

WyntreBlossom
November 1st, 2018, 05:07 PM
1b is really interesting to hear because I do get frizz sometimes (though not much), and even un stylded the very ends like to..... not curl but like....Ok you can see it clearly in the "bun wave" photo, and you can kind of see it in the unbrushed photo (there's a little "bump" in the end of my hair), but the very ends kind of wave off to one side or the other. The rest of my hair doesn't do that, but the ends do, and will do with it with or without being brushed after a wash. But it's usually only an inch or less that does this. The rest of my hair is normally like the first photo unless its been braided or bunned for a long time. Even then it doesn't retain wave or curl well.

lucid
November 1st, 2018, 05:07 PM
From the guide:
- 1b - straight but with a slight body wave, just enough to add some volume, doesn't look wavy
- 1c - straight with body wave and one or two visible S-waves (e.g. nape of neck or temples)

I don't get how you guys think solid 1b, as the hair doesn't appear straight and has a prominent body wave? I guess we'll have to wait for the updated photo, maybe I'm not seeing it correctly because of the large waves in the front.

lapushka
November 1st, 2018, 05:13 PM
I don't see the visible "individual" s-waves, lucid like you would see in a 2a. It's looking more like a general body wave to me.

WyntreBlossom
November 1st, 2018, 05:16 PM
I don't see the visible "individual" s-waves, lucid like you would see in a 2a. It's looking more like a general body wave to me.

I can confirm none of my hair, under any circumstance, curls/waves independently or parts individually. Ever. Even when I try to force it to curl by sleeping in a wet braid it just all ends up the same shape. Even the ends that I mentioned

lucid
November 1st, 2018, 05:29 PM

I don't think 2a either, but 1c. But we'll have to wait for a clearer picture I guess. It's hard to determine individual wavyness when individual hairs can't be seen.

lapushka
November 1st, 2018, 05:46 PM
She could put 1b/c. In cases of doubt, that is often done.

MusicalSpoons
November 1st, 2018, 06:10 PM
From the guide:
- 1b - straight but with a slight body wave, just enough to add some volume, doesn't look wavy
- 1c - straight with body wave and one or two visible S-waves (e.g. nape of neck or temples)

I don't get how you guys think solid 1b, as the hair doesn't appear straight and has a prominent body wave? I guess we'll have to wait for the updated photo, maybe I'm not seeing it correctly because of the large waves in the front.

Ditto this. I know the second picture is not a true hairtyping picture but I see more movement than just body, and that's despite being brushed through - and the whole point of not detangling/brushing for hairtyping is so as not to disturb or lessen any texture, it doesn't create the appearance of more. It is possible OP's hair *has* become straighter for whatever reason, though 6 months of hypothetical straighter growth wouldn't make a huge difference to the overall hairtype :shrug: I look forward to seeing a clearer picture :)

Oh, it just occurred to me - maybe weather makes a difference? Usually with more humidity more texture is visible; it could also potentially be due to change in routine perhaps? Just a thought. A clearer photo will probably settle it, either way.

WyntreBlossom
November 1st, 2018, 06:19 PM
Ditto this. I know the second picture is not a true hairtyping picture but I see more movement than just body, and that's despite being brushed through - and the whole point of not detangling/brushing for hairtyping is so as not to disturb or lessen any texture, it doesn't create the appearance of more. It is possible OP's hair *has* become straighter for whatever reason, though 6 months of hypothetical straighter growth wouldn't make a huge difference to the overall hairtype :shrug: I look forward to seeing a clearer picture :)

Oh, it just occurred to me - maybe weather makes a difference? Usually with more humidity more texture is visible; it could also potentially be due to change in routine perhaps? Just a thought. A clearer photo will probably settle it, either way.

I don't use any heat/product. Just water and shampoo. However we have changed seasons and I am now in winter rather than summer. No routine changes. My next wash day is a day or two away but I will update here then and have hubby take a better lighting/less blurry photo.

SallySue
November 1st, 2018, 09:54 PM
I totally get the anxiety about not knowing how to neatly categorize yourself. However, the hairtyping scale is just a rough guide- man made and flawed. I personally think it's ridiculous to expect all of hair humanity to find one "box" to sit in. My hair sometimes appears to spring into 3a curls, yet other times it falls smooth and looks like 1c. All textures in between can and often do exist in different places on my head.

What greater implications does it have for you to know? Will it change how you see yourself or how you take care of your hair?

WyntreBlossom
November 4th, 2018, 06:04 PM
Ok ladies I have washed my hair '(YAY WASH DAY!)'.

Currently it is still wet but I figured I should check in before I do anything with it. I have not touched it (other than to move it out of the way while doing my after shower routine). No brushes, towels, etc. I have not even finger combed it yet. I do not use blow dryers so it will have to dry naturally which might take an hour or two, especially without a towel/t-shirt pat down.

My questions:
To get a proper picture for hair typing, do you need a photo of it wet and untouched or just dry?

I cannot comb it or brush it in any way correct?

Any other regulations for a proper photo?

nycelle
November 4th, 2018, 06:09 PM
No combing or brushing, don't do anything with it, or too it. Let it just hang down and dry. Try not to touch it too much. Once dry, take a pic and post.

WyntreBlossom
November 4th, 2018, 06:10 PM
No combing or brushing, don't do anything with it, or too it. Let it just hang down and dry. Try not to touch it too much. Once dry, take a pic and post.

Will do thank you! Ill have hubby take it so you can get good lighting / no blur and ill try to get some close ups too! Ill post again here with photos once dry!

WyntreBlossom
November 4th, 2018, 08:32 PM
Close
https://i.imgur.com/wIry5gA.jpg

Far
https://i.imgur.com/QHvMMcK.jpg

Very close
https://i.imgur.com/BIZJcc1.jpg

Ylva
November 4th, 2018, 09:02 PM
Okay yeah, I change my opinion, I would say 1c off of these photos.

WyntreBlossom
November 5th, 2018, 01:00 AM
Ahh so still a 1 then (1c). I always suspected 2a. How interesting haha.

*Wednesday*
November 5th, 2018, 10:43 AM
Your hair is very lovely. I would say a 1c. 2’s start a more defined wave/curl pattern. I would say what Lapushka said, more of a body wave in your hair but not individual
Wave/curl pattern which would make the difference. You lack the “S” shape separation to have a strong 2a.

I have a link below for types 2-4. They describe 2a if you scroll down.

https://www.allure.com/gallery/curl-hair-type-guide?verso=true

lucid
November 5th, 2018, 10:58 AM
1c for sure! Way to much waves for 1b. You have very defined body wave and some individual s-waves :)

MusicalSpoons
November 5th, 2018, 11:05 AM
Your hair is very lovely. I would say a 1c. 2’s start a more defined wave/curl pattern. I would say what Lapushka said, more of a body wave in your hair but not individual
Wave/curl pattern which would make the difference. You lack the “S” shape separation to have a strong 2a.

I have a link below for types 2-4. They describe 2a if you scroll down.

https://www.allure.com/gallery/curl-hair-type-guide?verso=true

The descriptions are not the same typing system used on LHC, but the 2a picture does work for what we'd class 2a too.

(The pic they have for 4a - wow! :thud: Such shiny coils :crush: )

WyntreBlossom I'd say 1c too, but often 1c has the potential for more texture depending on how you style it (it wouldn't change your hair's natural type but styling can create more texture); also if in the future you make tweaks to your routine to make it more moisturising (or perhaps that should be 'even more moisturising' - I don't know anything about your current routine :flower: ) you might find it becomes wavier and may even end up crossing right over into 2a. Growing healthy hair can bring surprises! (Edit: I joined here thinking my hair was pin straight ... it's really not. In dampness I can end up with my longer wispies around my hairline forming wide, lazy spirals :rollin: )

Edit 2: just reread a couple of posts and I see you said you use just water and shampoo. I'm curious - is not using conditioner an active choice? Your hair looks lovely so clearly it works for you, it's just unusual to find someone on here who doesn't use conditioner or any other type of conditioning product in its place :)

WyntreBlossom
November 5th, 2018, 03:41 PM
The descriptions are not the same typing system used on LHC, but the 2a picture does work for what we'd class 2a too.

(The pic they have for 4a - wow! :thud: Such shiny coils :crush: )

WyntreBlossom I'd say 1c too, but often 1c has the potential for more texture depending on how you style it (it wouldn't change your hair's natural type but styling can create more texture); also if in the future you make tweaks to your routine to make it more moisturising (or perhaps that should be 'even more moisturising' - I don't know anything about your current routine :flower: ) you might find it becomes wavier and may even end up crossing right over into 2a. Growing healthy hair can bring surprises! (Edit: I joined here thinking my hair was pin straight ... it's really not. In dampness I can end up with my longer wispies around my hairline forming wide, lazy spirals :rollin: )

Edit 2: just reread a couple of posts and I see you said you use just water and shampoo. I'm curious - is not using conditioner an active choice? Your hair looks lovely so clearly it works for you, it's just unusual to find someone on here who doesn't use conditioner or any other type of conditioning product in its place :)

Thank you <3

Yes water and shampoo only is a personal choice because I have naturally oily and slippery hair. I avoid conditioners because they make me have to wash my hair more often and make it harder to stretch wash days. To manage damage I do small oil treatments every time it "looks" like it needs it but I do not schedule them or do them often. I have very little, if any, split ends so obviously something I am doing is working XD

lapushka
November 5th, 2018, 04:06 PM
I stick to 1b/c.

WyntreBlossom
November 5th, 2018, 06:12 PM
I stick to 1b/c.

You are the first one to still say 1b. Am curious as to why?

CopperButterfly
November 5th, 2018, 10:52 PM
I would call it 1c. It looks a lot like my hair.

WyntreBlossom
November 6th, 2018, 09:24 PM
I guess i'm not a 2A like I thought. 1c is where I am calling it <3 thank you guys!

Dark40
November 15th, 2018, 12:47 PM
I would say 1c too.

MusicalSpoons
November 15th, 2018, 01:27 PM
Thank you <3

Yes water and shampoo only is a personal choice because I have naturally oily and slippery hair. I avoid conditioners because they make me have to wash my hair more often and make it harder to stretch wash days. To manage damage I do small oil treatments every time it "looks" like it needs it but I do not schedule them or do them often. I have very little, if any, split ends so obviously something I am doing is working XD

Oh that's cool, thanks for explaining :) your hair looks lovely and shiny so it's clearly working well for you!

WyntreBlossom
November 15th, 2018, 11:53 PM
Oh that's cool, thanks for explaining :) your hair looks lovely and shiny so it's clearly working well for you!

Very welcome! I feel like I must edit my statement though. Since the weather has been getting colder, I have been lightly conditioning my ends on wash days because they started to feel papery and the oil was helping with damage but not the dryness. So Im using a ate and cone free conditioner on the bottom few inches of hair until the weather warms up! Typically I stay away from conditioners due to the reasons I mentioned before though :)