PDA

View Full Version : Bad to wash hair everyday if it looks awful in between?

Starbunny
October 31st, 2018, 04:11 AM
Hi, all! Sorry if this has been answered elsewhere. There are so many threads! So here’s the situation. I’m growing out a pixie and it is long-pixie right now. I’m trying to stretch washes, but on the in between day(s), my hair legit looks awful. SUPER flat and lank and thin and gross — not greasy, just bleh. Is there any way this will get better over time? I have zero volume and it just looks like I’m trying to stretch washes for its own sake. Is it really so bad to wash every day? I also have scalp psoriasis, so I’m trying to decide if the frequent washes are good for it or worse. Anyone else have scalp psoriasis and wash their hair less than everyday? Has it helped or hurt it? Thank you all!

Joules
October 31st, 2018, 04:58 AM
Hair should be washed when it looks oily, if it just looks bleh, then it would probably be best to leave it alone.

I have psoriasis (though not on my scalp), it does feel worse when it's dry, and frequent washes can make your scalp dry (if it's prone to dryness). Again, I would just leave the whole thing alone, if it's not greasy, it doesn't need washing.

When your hair is longer, you'll be able to do gorgeous updos and it will look great! Growing out a pixie is awkward, but it's temporary :)

Henrietta
October 31st, 2018, 06:58 AM
It's not bad to wash hair everyday/often. If I could, I would write this in bold, red, underlined font (but I'm not sure if that's not against the rules :D ). Some people choose to stretch washes, and for some of those people it works. Reasons vary. But washing hair shouldn't be seen as something "wrong" for the scalp or the hair. Washing isn't bad or harmful, unless someone has some specific medical condition and/or uses a very drying shampoo.

Washing hair too often isn't good, so if someone's natural rhythm is 3 days but that person for some reason washes hair everyday, that might be unnecessary. And result in dry hair and scalp. And then it makes sense to stretch washed back to their natural frequency.

If you want to take better care of your scalp and hair, find a very good shampoo. Maybe one without sulphates, if that's what your scalp needs. Look for non-drugstore brands, not necessarily crazy pure, eco and organic and expensive. Just... herbal stuff made by local manufacturers or "alternative" companies. In (Eastern) Europe, we've got many Russian products that have no sulphates and a lot go herbs and oils instead (Planeta Organica and Eco Laboratories, just to name two). In the US and Canada, there's the calia brand.

lapushka
October 31st, 2018, 08:51 AM
Hi, all! Sorry if this has been answered elsewhere. There are so many threads! So here’s the situation. I’m growing out a pixie and it is long-pixie right now. I’m trying to stretch washes, but on the in between day(s), my hair legit looks awful. SUPER flat and lank and thin and gross — not greasy, just bleh. Is there any way this will get better over time? I have zero volume and it just looks like I’m trying to stretch washes for its own sake. Is it really so bad to wash every day? I also have scalp psoriasis, so I’m trying to decide if the frequent washes are good for it or worse. Anyone else have scalp psoriasis and wash their hair less than everyday? Has it helped or hurt it? Thank you all!

Some people just can't stretch their washes, and that's fine too. I had to wash 2/3 times a day from pixie to BSL; often the length matters as well, as for the in-between days when it's lanker a braid or updo can be "just that", you know?

I was only able to successfully stretch after reaching BSL and having some medical issues; I also happen to think my scalp has normalized a bit with age. So there's that.

There is nothing against washing frequently; if you need it, you need it. But if you have scalp issues I would do what the doctor advised.

cjk
October 31st, 2018, 09:03 AM
Its not "washing" that's bad. It's the stripping of natural oils and the rubbing which causes abrasion.

Wash when you need to.

What is your purpose in stretching your washes? What is the issue you're trying to address?

lapushka
October 31st, 2018, 09:21 AM
Its not "washing" that's bad. It's the stripping of natural oils and the rubbing which causes abrasion.

Wash when you need to.

What is your purpose in stretching your washes? What is the issue you're trying to address?

OP just told us she has psoriasis. I think doctor's advise is what's best IMMHO.

Starbunny, what did your doctor tell you to do? :)

MusicalSpoons
October 31st, 2018, 10:20 AM

Wash when you need to.

OP just told us she has psoriasis. I think doctor's advise is what's best IMMHO.

OP did tell us originally what the issue was:

To address the original question, if your scalp isn't telling you it needs washing then washing more is probably unnecessary. The problems come when too-frequent washing strips the natural oils off and doesn't put anything back, leaving your scalp and hair 'bare' and therefore more vulnerable to moisture loss amd damage. I will say that 'too-frequent' is a completely individual matter, and according to your own body's natural rhythms as Henrietta said. I wonder if maybe you just need to find a shampoo that services your hair better, because unless hair is greasy or dirty/sweaty it shouldn't really look horrible regardless of length.

blackgothicdoll
October 31st, 2018, 10:22 AM
When I was growing out hair from NL, I'd rinse every day with conditioner. Shampoo would have destroyed my hair, but my hair needed to be wet in order for me to do literally anything with it so that's how I went about it. I don't know about psoriasis so I wouldn't recommended washing with conditioner if it could give you more scalp problems. Something with tea tree perhaps wouldn't be bad, but again I'm not an expert and won't speak on that. My short answer is no, it's not bad. I wouldn't have been able to grow out my hair without doing so.

pailin
October 31st, 2018, 10:34 AM
Nothing inherently wrong with daily washing - if it works better for you, just do it! I wouldn't even worry too much about getting extra gentle shampoo - do what makes your scalp happy! That's the part that's alive. And if you have scalp psoriasis, it's even more important.
And if you're seeing a doctor for your scalp, follow whatever they tell you and don't worry about it.

You'll hear a lot about stretching washes here, but you do not have to in order to grow your hair out. I still wash daily at past classic length, and there are other daily washers here. I don't even use a gentle shampoo, because when I try that my scalp starts itching and sooner or later I have to switch to dandruff shampoo. I compensate with heavier conditioner and leave-ins.

ETA: by the way, I believe many people find stretching washes works better when your hair is a little longer.

Starbunny
November 1st, 2018, 03:47 AM

Unfortunately, I don't think I've ever explicitly asked her about this! I will have to do so the next time I see her.

Starbunny
November 1st, 2018, 03:48 AM
Thank you all soooo much for your kind comments and for helping me out with your thoughts! Basically, with the itching of psoriasis, one gets a little batty and willing to try anything to help appease it. I will ask my doctor at my next appt. what I can do with washing to help with it, but until then, I may just do the every other day thing to give the scalp a bit of a break. I still get my hair wet every day because otherwise, I literally look like a rooster some day when I wake up (oh, pixies... haha).

lapushka
November 1st, 2018, 06:15 AM
Unfortunately, I don't think I've ever explicitly asked her about this! I will have to do so the next time I see her.

Good on you! :) It might help hugely.

lapushka
November 1st, 2018, 06:17 AM
Thank you all soooo much for your kind comments and for helping me out with your thoughts! Basically, with the itching of psoriasis, one gets a little batty and willing to try anything to help appease it. I will ask my doctor at my next appt. what I can do with washing to help with it, but until then, I may just do the every other day thing to give the scalp a bit of a break. I still get my hair wet every day because otherwise, I literally look like a rooster some day when I wake up (oh, pixies... haha).

It would be nice to try and sort it out while the hair is still short. I did that with my SD as well. I kept cutting it short as well due to issues with this also. Flakes and dead skin are a pain to deal with.

Have you tried CO-washing yet?

Joules
November 1st, 2018, 06:40 AM
Co-washing may actually help with flakes and dead skin! It might not soothe the itching, but it can moisturize dry patches and make it appear less "scaly". Just clarify with a shampoo from time to time if you decide to give it a try.

spidermom
November 1st, 2018, 07:52 AM
Blah days might be perfect to perk up your look with an accessory like a hair band/hair slide or some pretty pins.

lithostoic
November 1st, 2018, 07:59 AM
Just wash it! No harm as long as your scalp is happy.

MusicalSpoons
November 1st, 2018, 08:44 AM
Co-washing may actually help with flakes and dead skin! It might not soothe the itching, but it can moisturize dry patches and make it appear less "scaly". Just clarify with a shampoo from time to time if you decide to give it a try.

I don't know the mechanism of itching in psoriasis but if the dryness is any factor in it (like in eczema, or just plain old dehydrated flaky skin) then helping moisturise it should reduce the itch accordingly.

Spar
November 1st, 2018, 09:07 AM
I have actually been washing every day. I used to use dry shampoo on second day hair, but I decided to quit. My hair was getting too dried out, gross texture/buildup, etc from the dry shampoo. Only downside is dealing with wet hair and taking extra time in the mornings or nights to shower and blow-dry or air dry. Hair is now happily soft, fluffy, and bouncy every single day!

Growitagain28
November 1st, 2018, 09:14 AM
*raises hand* I have plaque psoriasis on small parts of my scalp and try to go at least 2 days without washing. If I was too frequently it dries my spots out more and in turn, they flare up and itch more. It’s such a bad cycle! But if I go too long without washing my hair also gets super oily and again, itchy spots and scalp! So if I wash on Monday then definitely Wednesday I should and if I don’t get the chance, Thursday morning first thing hands down! I’m not sure if anyone has mentioned dry shampoo as I haven’t got to read all the replies but I will warn you, for me dry shampoo and my psoriasis together is a disaster, it flares up, itches more and just does not help! I think trial and error as with anything and your own personal scalp :) it’s taken me along time to find what works and what doesn’t. My hair gets dry easily and I’ve found leave in spray conditioner to be an enormous help!

Joules
November 1st, 2018, 09:57 AM
I don't know the mechanism of itching in psoriasis but if the dryness is any factor in it (like in eczema, or just plain old dehydrated flaky skin) then helping moisturise it should reduce the itch accordingly.

It's the rapid growth of cells and inflammation that itch (sometimes stress can make it worse). Moisturizing can soothe it a little, but in my experience it doesn't really matter. Some take antihistamines to stop it, but the effect is temporary and well, it's antihistamines, don't take them unless you wish to spend a day in a comatose state.

MusicalSpoons
November 1st, 2018, 10:41 AM
It's the rapid growth of cells and inflammation that itch (sometimes stress can make it worse). Moisturizing can soothe it a little, but in my experience it doesn't really matter. Some take antihistamines to stop it, but the effect is temporary and well, it's antihistamines, don't take them unless you wish to spend a day in a comatose state.

I see, thanks for explaining that :flower: (side note: do you not have the option of non-drowsy antihistamines?)

Dark40
November 1st, 2018, 12:04 PM
I agree with Henrietta and lapushka. Washing hair often isn't bad at all. As long as you are using the right shampoo and conditioner for your hair type. I try to stay away from using shampoo on a daily basis. I do CO-washing instead of shampoo since I wash mine 3 times a week, and I only use shampoo once a week out of those 3 days I wash.

Arciela
November 1st, 2018, 01:42 PM
I say just wash it if need be. It's what I've done for years and never had an issue :)

Joules
November 2nd, 2018, 03:15 AM
I see, thanks for explaining that :flower: (side note: do you not have the option of non-drowsy antihistamines?)

Third generation antihistamines are supposed to be less sleep-inducing, but I think it's a YMMV thing. I personally don't remember getting drowsy from any kind of antihistamines, but my Mom can't stand all of them, whenever she has to take it she's out for the entire day, night and maybe even next morning.

Starbunny
November 2nd, 2018, 04:19 AM
I CO washed a lot in college. I may try it again. I seem to recall it helped a lot with the psoriasis. I've just heard people say it can cause massive shedding? Is that true? It doesn't seem like it would be logical, but I have already had my hair thin over the years, I definitely don't want to lose more volume!