PDA

View Full Version : Hair is tearing/snapping and I'm at my wits end.

MissDale
October 31st, 2018, 02:28 AM
OK, So a bit of info that hopefully helps someone point me in the right direction (sorry for how randomly I've written things, I'm just writing as I remember stuff I'm sleep deprived).

I had a period of a 2 years where I was bleaching it but in November 2016 I shaved it all off and stopped bleaching/colouring and have been growing it ever since. I went to the hairdressers last week to see if a trim would help and just to get some thoughts from a professional. She was lovely but didn't help a great deal, however she did say that my hair wasn't damaged. I've done the test of pulling a stand of hair whilst wet and it snaps instantly, there is no elasticity and I have loads of short hairs around my hair line and on my crown. It's also very static-y regardless of the weather. It's been like this for several months. I don't see how my hair can be like this and not be damaged?

I've resorted to not washing it as much, I even did no poo for a month as well as changing my shampoo to SLS free, I condition it too.

I do use hair straighteners and blow dry it, probably several times a month (blow drying) and at the most twice a month straightening. I have to be honest and say I haven't used a heat protectant which I know is bad but thought that I didn't put heat on it enough for it to be that big a problem.

The same for tying my hair in a ponytail. It doesn't happen often and is always loosely tied.

Just in case products are suggested, I don't have a lot of money and all the products I buy need to be cruelty free and vegan.

Thank you ever so much if you took the time to read all that.

D

Obsidian
October 31st, 2018, 06:18 AM
Sounds like your hair needs protein. Most protein repair masks contain animal products though so I would skip looking for a suitable store bought vegan one and just buy some hydrolyzed wheat protein.
http://www.hairrejuvenationclinic.com/2014/03/19/hydrolyzed-wheat-protein-found-in-our-shampoo/

Here is one option, I don't know if its cruelty free though, you'd have to email and ask. http://www.lotioncrafter.com/hydrolyzed-wheat-protein.html

MusicalSpoons
October 31st, 2018, 06:44 AM
Welcome! You've come to the right place :flower:

Heat damage is a very likely culprit - it is cumulative so it doesn't 'heal' in between heat, no matter how long you go without it. Straightening is worse for your hair than blow drying but if you are using the blowdryer hot then that won't be good for the hair either. On warm or cool should be okay, as long as you're not causing mechanical damage with tangles or combing/brushing/whatever it is you do when you blow dry.

Mechanical and heat damage usually make the hair more prone to losing structural integrity and moisture, so you do need enough of both. It sounds like your hair would benefit from a protein treatment (but make sure you follow up with a good moisturising deep conditioning too otherwise your hair won't feel much better).

It occurs to me that your hair may not appear to be damaged in comparison to what the hairdresser usually sees, which might explain that. Generally speaking, hairdressers are usually trained in how to manage hair and make it *look* nice/healthy, not in how to actually grow and care for healthy hair.

There's a ton of info on here so I suggest looking at the stickied posts at the top of the board, and I hope we can help you on your way to hair happiness :D

lapushka
November 1st, 2018, 07:27 AM
I think it might be heat damage. If it is snapping off, examine the hair for white dots up a strand, the hair will form a sharp angle there and it is a point at which it can just break off (and will so easily if you pull it (don't)).

Get back to us after you've looked at the hair in several places.

Joules
November 1st, 2018, 07:53 AM
I agree with MusicalSpoons and lapushka, it's most likely heat damage. I used a straightening iron on my hair once in my life back in 2009, on a low heat setting but without a heat protectant. As a result the bottom inch of my hair broke off, and I swore to never straighten my hair with this device ever again.

Hair doesn't tolerate heat, point blank period. It doesn't matter whether it's once a week or once a year, if you use it at all you have to keep in mind the damage. Hair is like a silk scarf, if you burn it once with an iron, you won't be able to undo it.

Milkchocolate
November 1st, 2018, 10:21 AM
Hello, I would suggest minimizing your hot hair tools as much as you can.

I also really recommended the L’Oréal damage erasing balm..it’s about 8$ or so dollars for a tub. It has some protein (hydrolyzed wheat), amino acids, and very moisturizing properties. It sounds like your hair is a bit dry. Since you like to use heating tools, it has a soft luster-like coating that adds shine, elasticity, softness and is a good barrier from heat protection without weighing the hair down. It’s really great!

MissDale
November 1st, 2018, 11:52 AM
I now realise that in my first post I've made it seem like I've never ever used a heat protectant which isn't true, I was using one all the time until it ran out a few months ago and I kept forgetting to replace it. I feel like an idiot for not connecting the dots as that's when my hair took a nose dive and I've been stressing about all sorts of causes.

I'm sorry for wasting peoples time.