PDA

View Full Version : Hair Vitamins?

WyntreBlossom
October 30th, 2018, 12:05 AM
So I have seen in several care routines and threads many of you lovely ladies like certain vitamins or some other kind of hair health tablet. I am curious as to how one enters this world of tablets and knows which to choose for their own hair. I am thinking of doing this, but I would love some pro's and con's from those who have experience with this on where to start, and which ones do which functions for certain hair types etc.

Joules
October 30th, 2018, 01:38 AM
Just take basic multivitamins, or the anti-stress formulas (they contain more B-vitamins, and those are amazing for hair). Things marketed specifically for hair and nails usually cost more and they either don't have that much difference from regural multis, or they may contain dangerously high doses of biotin, which is totally unnecessary.

Angelica
October 30th, 2018, 12:44 PM
Some people do notice a difference taking Skin, Hair and Nail Supplements. Sometimes people are even prescribed these by GP's. I've heard it said however, that it can take up to three months for you to notice any difference because it has to get into the system. I take "Perfectil - Skin, Hair and Nails."

RosaCurl
October 30th, 2018, 12:52 PM
I think just a regular women's multivit will probably do the job. I believe the idea is to make up for any common deficiencies. Any surplus may be dangerous or just wasted (you probably pee out the excess).

M3DUS4
October 30th, 2018, 01:32 PM
From what I've heard, most popularly marketed 'hair vitamins' are supported by little evidence to back up length-giving claims. Sister, get yourself some Omega 3 (most scientific trials to back up its benefits, according to a pharmacist I asked specifically about this) or a general multivitamin that helps prevent common deficiencies.

WyntreBlossom
October 30th, 2018, 03:01 PM
Thanks guys! While I believe that some hair specific ones may work for some people, based on the responses I have gotten ill just go with a womens multi to be on the safe side. Thanks again everyone <3

Dark40
October 30th, 2018, 07:26 PM
I notice a big difference in my hair, skin, nails when I'm taking hair vitamins! But it is true that you can take too much biotin. Usually, the vitamins I take have 2,000 mg of biotin in it, and I take the tablets three time daily, and I don't have any issues.

Ylva
October 30th, 2018, 10:16 PM
Just take basic multivitamins, or the anti-stress formulas (they contain more B-vitamins, and those are amazing for hair). Things marketed specifically for hair and nails usually cost more and they either don't have that much difference from regural multis, or they may contain dangerously high doses of biotin, which is totally unnecessary.

Doesn't biotin, being a B vitamin, flush out of your body with urine if consumed in excess? In that case, I don't think there can be a dangerously high dose of it? Uselessly high, yes, but what is the danger? I've only heard that it can mess with lab results, which can be dangerous, but not the vitamin per se.

akurah
October 30th, 2018, 11:09 PM
Biotin causes acne. Don’t overdo that one, just do a basic multivitamin

Joules
October 31st, 2018, 02:09 AM
Doesn't biotin, being a B vitamin, flush out of your body with urine if consumed in excess? In that case, I don't think there can be a dangerously high dose of it? Uselessly high, yes, but what is the danger? I've only heard that it can mess with lab results, which can be dangerous, but not the vitamin per se.

This vitamin can distort a heart attack blood test and potentially kill you, if it's not considered dangerous enough, then I don't know what is. My dad's 40 year old co-worker died this month of a heart attack, it can happen to literally anyone at any age, and it's better to be safe than sorry.

I personally haven't noticed a difference between 3000mcg of biotin and 45mcg of biotin in my regular multis, so why even bother? Well, there actually was one difference: I gained a lot of weight taking 3000mcg, and I didn't need it at all. Biotin is supposed to "regulate" blood sugar levels and insulin production, and I don't know how exactly it regulates it, but I was ravenous the whole time.

victorian girl
October 31st, 2018, 06:11 AM
My dermatologist prescribed me zinc supplements to help with my acne, but the instruction says it also helps with hair loss. I've noticed that the shedding has become less in the past two weeks, so apparently it works! But you're supposed to take a break after some time, as with any supplements, so you'd better ask your doctor about it. It also may cause side effects as nausea (didn't happen to me, but many people complain about it), and you definitely should not overdose (something like slow and painful death is mentioned in the instruction). So, if shedding is your problem, it may help, but following the instructions is really important with this one.

MusicalSpoons
October 31st, 2018, 07:36 AM

This vitamin can distort a heart attack blood test and potentially kill you, if it's not considered dangerous enough, then I don't know what is. My dad's 40 year old co-worker died this month of a heart attack, it can happen to literally anyone at any age, and it's better to be safe than sorry.

I personally haven't noticed a difference between 3000mcg of biotin and 45mcg of biotin in my regular multis, so why even bother? Well, there actually was one difference: I gained a lot of weight taking 3000mcg, and I didn't need it at all. Biotin is supposed to "regulate" blood sugar levels and insulin production, and I don't know how exactly it regulates it, but I was ravenous the whole time.

It can also tax the kidneys having to filter so much extra stuff out. I remember one member on here had very bad lower back cramps when taking biotin, but didn't realise that was the cause until she stopped and they went away. It would usually be fine if your body is using a lot of the vitamin and only having to deal with a little excess, but too much can cause problems. Yes our bodies' systems were designed to cope with natural variations in amounts of all sorts of substances, but there's a limit for everything (even water!)

blackgothicdoll
October 31st, 2018, 10:31 AM
I hate to be a wet blanket, but the best way to figure out what vitamin you should be taking is to analyze your diet. I had to do this for a nutrition class and it was very eye-opening. We used a site called cronometer.com, simply put in 3 days and then did an analysis. It'll show you all of the vitamins, minerals, macronutrients etc you're getting. I'm not sure how to upload photos here, but I found out that I was consuming nearly 2000% vitamin A, far over the TUL, and this was before even noting what supplements I was taking. Yes, this is toxic. I was, on the other hand, horribly deficient in vitamin D.

My point is, supplementing without needing to can cause toxicity - it does exist. Now, with all of my research I only found one case of biotin toxicity, where a lady with a deficiency consumed 10,000mg (which is 100,000mcg) of biotin while taking zinc. Couldn't find anything else. Not saying it's not possible, but no medical articles support that it is toxic. But many vitamins are, and taking supplements if you are already consuming plenty of the vitamin can absolutely be harmful to your body. You can also analyze your diet and find out what it is you really need - it might not be biotin that you're missing, it might be vitamin D or calcium, like in my case.

Sorry to ramble, finals suck.

Angelica
October 31st, 2018, 01:03 PM
There are some people who regardless of how good their diet is, still have deficiencies. For instance my mother has lack of calcium even though she has ample calcium in the diet and there are others who are anaemic even though they have excellent diets. I don't believe skin, hair and nail supplements are all evil and Perfectil is a good brand. Some people swear by them.

Joules
October 31st, 2018, 01:06 PM
Angelica, Perfectil is great! I take it regularly too. It's just that Perfectil has average doses of vitamins and minerals, that's why it's different from many other skin, hair and hails formulas (and that's why I personally consider it a regular multivitamin rather than something specific). A lot of Instagram-famous vitamins have questionable doses of certain things, and I wouldn't recommend them to anyone.

Katsura
November 1st, 2018, 03:55 AM
I'm now testing this biotin supplement that has also zink and L-metionin in it. I was wondering if it could benefit my atopic skin that is just horrible in winter time. We need to heat up our apartements and room air is so dry, I checked it yesterday and humidity was only 4%. I have read the negative feedbacks about biotin.
I've now taken it for a week or so, no skin breakouts yet.

lapushka
November 1st, 2018, 07:11 AM

I totally agree with this. Just take a really balanced out (100% of the dosage) multivitamin; so no 300% the regular dosage or such (not necessary at all). I don't bother with hair, skin & nails at all.