PDA

View Full Version : Best Leave In Conditioner?

LittleOgre
October 29th, 2018, 12:01 PM
Im looking for a conditioner that isn't greasy but will hold in all the moisture in my hair. Silicones help with that bur I don't wwnt to deal with build up. So idk. I love how soft my hair feels washing it and just after but I want to keep the water/hydration in without using oil or any silicone that requires clarifying shampoo. I use clarifying shampoo but im still pretty afraid of build up. If anyone has any reccomendations or recipes that would help a lot. I was thinking of maybe using suave conditioner and diluting it.

emilyogini
October 29th, 2018, 03:14 PM
Honestly I like garnier fructise (sleek and shine) "intensely smooth" leave in conditioning cream. I've been returning to it again and again for well over 15 years. Used to dislike the smell, but they have changed it and the scent is so lovely nowadays.

lapushka
October 29th, 2018, 03:17 PM
Hands down. The JBCO leave-in by Shea Moisture! Is quite runny, and comes in a huge tub! And the best thing, you don't need much for 2/3 type hair, more is needed if you are in the 4s!

Obsidian
October 29th, 2018, 03:40 PM
I find the jbco leave in to be very greasy and prone to weight down my find hair.

I'm really liking acure pumpkin and argan conditioner. Cone free but it leaves my hair soft without buildup. Its not very slippery though and I believe its only available in the US and Canada.

nycelle
October 29th, 2018, 04:21 PM
If you dont want build up, you would need to find a moisturizing conditioner without silicones, butters, oils some polyquats and a few other ingredients.

Please let me know if you do.

Sid0rela
October 29th, 2018, 04:21 PM
I'm new to the "leave in conditioner" game, as i never found them as needed before i entered LCH.
But i've been trying the sunsilk straight locks leave in cream, and im likimg the smell and how soft it makes my hair feel.
Anyways, i dont know much about the product, as i havent seen many reviews. I guess is not that popular..

lapushka
October 29th, 2018, 05:14 PM
I find the jbco leave in to be very greasy and prone to weight down my find hair.

I'm really liking acure pumpkin and argan conditioner. Cone free but it leaves my hair soft without buildup. Its not very slippery though and I believe its only available in the US and Canada.

How much do you use, because your hair is still relatively short. I use about 2 coinsizes now for FTL hair (and still one coinsize for classic), so you would need to use about a pea-size amount. It can get oily but only if you use too much of it. I have to be careful with my 2 coinsize amounts now!!!

Dark40
October 29th, 2018, 07:50 PM
I would recommend you try Isoplus Wrap, Blow-dry, and Leave-In Conditioner. You can use this leave-in conditioner for three things as you can see. But it is excellent for, wrapping, blow-drying, and wet-sets. It gives your hair lots of moisture but doesn't weigh it down. Or, make it look and feel greasy. It also doesn't leave a buildup either.

ExpectoPatronum
October 29th, 2018, 07:54 PM
I love both Mixed Chicks leave-in and Kinky Curly Knot Today. Mixed Chicks is kind of pricey but a little goes a long way. Kinky Curly is cheaper but it can go kind of quickly if you have a lot of hair.

ETA: Mixed chicks contains amodimethicone which, from what I understand, doesn't build up as quickly as some of the others. I only need to clarify once a month.

Obsidian
October 29th, 2018, 08:10 PM
How much do you use, because your hair is still relatively short. I use about 2 coinsizes now for FTL hair (and still one coinsize for classic), so you would need to use about a pea-size amount. It can get oily but only if you use too much of it. I have to be careful with my 2 coinsize amounts now!!!

I use less than pea sized, I just barely touch my finger to it. If I'm careful and apply it to soaking wet hair I can still use it and for the price, I'm going to use it all but I consider it a oil since its so very greasy and try to keep it to the ends of my hair only. It also stinks, something terrible, I tried to give it away and no one will take it.

Ylva
October 29th, 2018, 08:13 PM
It also stinks, something terrible, I tried to give it away and no one will take it.

This had me chuckling. :rollin: Poor product!

Kiisu
October 30th, 2018, 05:10 AM
https://cdn.alza.sk/ImgW.ashx?fd=f4&cd=VLS782&i=1.jpg

Its good or bad Ingredients ?:)

Ingredients

Aqua/Water, Cetearyl Alcohol, Cocos Nucifera Oil/Coconut Oil, Cetyl Esters, Cetyl Alcohol, Amodimethicone, Behentrimonium Methosulfate, Ci 19140/Yellow 5, Ci 14700/Red 4, Ricinus Communis Oil/Castor Seed Oil, Phenoxyethanol, Stearyl Alcohol, Acer Saccharum Extract/Sugar Maple Extract, Trideceth-6, Chlorhexidine Digluconate, Limonene, Pentaerythrityl Tetra-di-T-Butyl Hydroxyhydrocinnamate, Benzyl Salicylate, Linalool, Benzyl Alcohol, Myristyl Alcohol, Caramel, Cetrimonium Chloride, Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis Oil/Sweet Almond Oil, Coumarin, Hexyl Cinnamal, Parfum/Fragrance.

nycelle
October 30th, 2018, 06:23 AM
https://cdn.alza.sk/ImgW.ashx?fd=f4&cd=VLS782&i=1.jpg

Its good or bad Ingredients ?:)

Ingredients

Aqua/Water, Cetearyl Alcohol, Cocos Nucifera Oil/Coconut Oil, Cetyl Esters, Cetyl Alcohol, Amodimethicone, Behentrimonium Methosulfate, Ci 19140/Yellow 5, Ci 14700/Red 4, Ricinus Communis Oil/Castor Seed Oil, Phenoxyethanol, Stearyl Alcohol, Acer Saccharum Extract/Sugar Maple Extract, Trideceth-6, Chlorhexidine Digluconate, Limonene, Pentaerythrityl Tetra-di-T-Butyl Hydroxyhydrocinnamate, Benzyl Salicylate, Linalool, Benzyl Alcohol, Myristyl Alcohol, Caramel, Cetrimonium Chloride, Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis Oil/Sweet Almond Oil, Coumarin, Hexyl Cinnamal, Parfum/Fragrance.

I don't think there's such a thing as good or bad. It's just what works for your hair.

But if someone is trying to stay away from oils, having coconut oil as a 3rd ingredient wouldn't work. Same with someone who's very strict about CG (Curlygirl). They may not want any cones, even an A-cone.

lapushka
October 30th, 2018, 07:22 AM
I use less than pea sized, I just barely touch my finger to it. If I'm careful and apply it to soaking wet hair I can still use it and for the price, I'm going to use it all but I consider it a oil since its so very greasy and try to keep it to the ends of my hair only. It also stinks, something terrible, I tried to give it away and no one will take it.

Really? Hmm. My hair is quite dry (my lengths I mean), so maybe that's part & parcel of it. I love the smell. LOL; how that can be so different I still don't get.

RosaCurl
October 30th, 2018, 07:47 AM
I adore Carol's Daughter Hair Milk Original Leave-In Moisturizer. It makes my hair SO soft and it's really light and smells wonderful in my opinion. I use about a nickel-sized amount and work it in from the tips to about 3/4 up my hair. It's paraben/mineral oil/artificial color/petrolatum free.

xoAshley
October 30th, 2018, 08:07 AM
I love It's a Ten Miracle Leave-In. Been using it for years. Always makes my hair feel amazing.

xoAshley
October 30th, 2018, 08:09 AM
I'm really liking acure pumpkin and argan conditioner.

YES! I love this shampoo & conditioner! My favs.

Brittny
October 30th, 2018, 08:46 AM
My personal favorite is the African Pride Olive Oil Leave-In Conditioner! I've used a lot of different brands that leave my hair crunchy or with buildup, but this stuff is amazing. I use it every day and it makes my ends very soft. Plus, it is only $3 USD
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/71x-M95ONfL._SY450_.jpg

lapushka
October 30th, 2018, 09:48 AM
My personal favorite is the African Pride Olive Oil Leave-In Conditioner! I've used a lot of different brands that leave my hair crunchy or with buildup, but this still is amazing. I use it every day and it makes my ends very soft. Plus, it is only $3 USD
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/71x-M95ONfL._SY450_.jpg

That's an awesome rec!

I also love the Cantu leave-in, I have to say.

My two favorite leave-ins are the JBCO leave-in from Shea Moisture and the Cantu one; so far.

SallySue
October 30th, 2018, 09:53 AM
Obsidian, is that a regular conditioner or specially formulated leave-in?

I have similar results of extreme greasiness from leaving in even very small amounts of oils. My hair is fine and low porosity. I might try this one out since you liked it.

How do people in general feel about using regular conditioners as a leave-in product?
I have had unpleasant results every time I've tried it before, but maybe because all my conditioners are heavy formulas.

nycelle
October 30th, 2018, 10:08 AM

I have similar results of extreme greasiness from leaving in even very small amounts of oils. My hair is fine and low porosity. I might try this one out since you liked it.

How do people in general feel about using regular conditioners as a leave-in product?
I have had unpleasant results every time I've tried it before, but maybe because all my conditioners are heavy formulas.

I don't. Some of the ingredients used in regular conditioners are either meant to be washed out, or used in higher doses than a leave-in. I don't think adding water to dilute is a safe option (at least for me) as it just creates a breeding ground for bacteria.

Obsidian
October 30th, 2018, 11:53 AM

I only use the regular conditioner but I'm going to pick up the leave in soon.

I've not had luck with regular condition as leave in, it always leaves my hair waxy but I tried with heavy coney ones.
If I'm going to use a coney leave in, I'll buy a proper one.

One of my favorites it herbal essences moroccan argan oil leave in cream. Its very cone heavy so a little goes a long ways.

MoonRabbit
October 30th, 2018, 11:56 AM
Really? Hmm. My hair is quite dry (my lengths I mean), so maybe that's part & parcel of it. I love the smell. LOL; how that can be so different I still don't get.

I've noticed that SM products are very inconsistent with their scent. For me personally, each repurchase smells very different.

SallySue
October 30th, 2018, 12:01 PM
Ok! I asked because I looked it up, but I could only find a regular conditioner in that line, no leave-in. Just to be clear, did you use this one as a leave in conditioner? It appears to be silicone free and have oils and butters low on the ingredients list, so I'm intrigued.

Obsidian
October 30th, 2018, 12:20 PM
Well poo, it looks like the leave in is discontinued unless you want to buy from ebay.
I've not tried the regular as leave in but I will. I need to wash today so I can report back later

xoAshley
October 30th, 2018, 12:21 PM
Well poo, it looks like the leave in is discontinued unless you want to buy from ebay.
I've not tried the regular as leave in but I will. I need to wash today so I can report back later

I've never tried the regular one as leave-in either...but I absolutely love it as a normal conditioner :)

Obsidian
October 30th, 2018, 12:26 PM
Its the only conditioner that doesn't make my SD flair up. I use the argan pumpkin and the peppermint echinacea

lapushka
October 30th, 2018, 12:29 PM
I've noticed that SM products are very inconsistent with their scent. For me personally, each repurchase smells very different.

I am on my second jar of the curl enhancing smoothie and those scents are consistent, so far.

I don't know about the JBCO one though, because I have "other" formulated jars after this one. We'll see if it still smells the same. I have half a jar left, so I'm not going to open the new one yet. :flower: But I'll keep this in mind!

SallySue
October 30th, 2018, 12:46 PM
Would love to hear about your results.

Would also love to hear anyone else's recommendations for a silicone-free leave-in conditioner that's not too heavy for fine hair!

kph12
October 30th, 2018, 01:28 PM

I love the JBCO Shea moisture leave in too but I'll admit I first got it two years ago and hated it when I first tried it. My hair was a lot unhealthier back then and I must have had some product build up or something because it would NOT absorb even when I applied it to soaking wet hair. Now I use it and it leaves my hair super soft and manageable.

Obsidian
October 31st, 2018, 03:24 PM

Would also love to hear anyone else's recommendations for a silicone-free leave-in conditioner that's not too heavy for fine hair!

I tried the acure pumpkin and argan as a leave in. Applied a large pea sized dollop onto soaking wet hair and squished it in, it was too much for my length. I could feel a film left on my hands when I ran my fingers through my hair. My hair was very soft and slippery though. It was weighing my hair down too much so I washed after just a few hours.

Tried the peppermint and echinacea then, applied the same way but a smaller amount. This felt really nice, no film on my hands and my hair still doesn't seem weighted down. I did buy some cantu products to try, the shea leave in and the kids conditioning detangler.

renia22
October 31st, 2018, 06:32 PM

I like Paul Mitchell Moisture Mist and Biolage Hyrasource Dewy Moisture Mist, both are very light. Kristin Ess Leave In is also getting good reviews from fine haired people, but that one has amodimethicone towards the middle/ bottom of the ingredient list.

SallySue
November 2nd, 2018, 07:18 AM
Ok, I also bought the Shea Moisture JBCO leave-in and the Cantu curling cream. I also bought the KCKT detangler/leave-in, which is free of any oils or butters. I will report back with my results from these 3 different lines.