PDA

View Full Version : Do you enjoy having hair that smells good?

lillii
October 28th, 2018, 04:54 PM
I had no idea what to title this but I was wondering if you all prefer your hair to smell neutral or fragrant?
I really prefer for my hair to smell nice but the natural shampoo and conditioner that I use smell like the earth. I adore lavender but when I add lavender to my oil when I do oil treatments, the scent doesn't seem to compliment the hair well. What do you all think? How do you keep your hair perfumed without damaging it?

Ylva
October 28th, 2018, 04:58 PM
I enjoy having hair that doesn't smell bad in my opinion.

Lately I've come across two conditioners, of which one is in regular use that, that smell so sweet and disgusting it gives me a headache. I've heard so many people rave about the smell of the one I use regularly and how tropical and lovely it is and how nice it is that it lingers in your hair... Yeah, it lingers for sure. And when I touch my hair, my fingers smell like that, too, for a while. Not good, not good at all.

My absolute preference is something musky and natural like a forest or the ocean. I don't mind some floral or herbal scents either. I also like when my hair just smells like hair or human. I'm not a fan of perfume-like, heavy, "old woman" scents.

lapushka
October 28th, 2018, 05:05 PM
I'm a little indifferent to good smelling hair, but! Whenever I use these stylers: Cantu, Eden Bodyworks, SM curl enhancing smoothie, or SM JBCO leave-in, it is amazing how those scents linger on my lengths and I *love* it!

Obsidian
October 28th, 2018, 05:40 PM
I do like it when my hair smells good from products but I don't go out of my way to perfume it.
The exception is when I wear actual perfume, I put a little in my hair.

Dark40
October 28th, 2018, 05:45 PM
Yes I do enjoy having hair that smells good! I hate it when my hair smells like the earth or smell like I've just come from outside. I always love for my hair to smell like it's been freshly washed.

RosaCurl
October 28th, 2018, 05:51 PM
I love it when my hair smells good. My conditioner + shampoo both smell soooo good, and they're all natural. My hair picks up the scent of smoke SO well that whenever I walk outside during winter I smell like a fireplace until my next wash. I've actually had people around me ask "what smells like smoke?" and had to confess that it was my hair. Is it the porosity? I dunno.

My ex always commented on how nice my hair smelled after washing it, and if you ask me, being told you smell nice is one of the best compliments out there. I'd rather be told how good I smell rather than how good I look lol

lithostoic
October 28th, 2018, 06:04 PM
I love having fragrance in my hair. If it smells like just hair that usually means I have to moisturize anyway :P I'll just add a little water and some leave-in.

renia22
October 28th, 2018, 06:11 PM
I absolutely love for my hair to smell nice, and wonít use anything unless it smells good. Although I do like the smell of natural things like essential oils, and Aveda-type scents, my hair seems to do better with conventional drugstore- type products. Since Iím a daily washer, I usually donít have an issue with scent staying in my hair. Some fragrant ones that I currently like are:

Kristen Ess products from Target (woody floral)
Pantene Micellar Water (airy/ watery/ clean)

^thanks for the recommendations for both over in the conventional products section, littlestarface

Finesse products
Biolage in the classic scent, including the aloe moisture mist
Paul Mitchell lavender mint products; awaphui moisture spray
Herbal Essences Retro Smooth & Shine collections; Tousle Me Softly
H2O Plus Eucalyptus Aloe
Revlon Outrageous conditioner (canít seem to find the shampoo)

Pacifica also makes these hair/ body mists, as do some other companies. Iíve tried a bunch, but nothing that Iíve been super crazy about.

enfys
October 28th, 2018, 06:16 PM
I would like it to smell of nothing, so it doesn't clash with my perfume. At least it inspires me to take extra care with rinsing my conditioner out! I've had some leave ins that are so fragranced that I dread using them because of the lingering artificial smell.

MusicalSpoons
October 28th, 2018, 06:19 PM
I don't actively try to make my hair smell good but I do enjoy if one of the conditioners I use makes it smell nice. I'm not sure my hair ever retained the scent of shampoo, and it doesn't particularly grab onto other smells (except wood smoke!). I've used some shampoos in the past that smelled horrible but it never stayed in my hair, even just doing scalp washes. Now I occasionally get a pleasant whiff of my final conditioner, particularly if my hair gets damp, but certainly not strongly. Thinking about it, even when I used Herbal Essences - the strongest scented shampoo and conditioner I've smelled - or Aussie, my hair only smelled of it for a short while straight after washing :shrug:

Arciela
October 28th, 2018, 06:28 PM
I like it! But I wouldn't say I go out of my way to make sure it has a fragrance. :flower:

cjk
October 28th, 2018, 07:18 PM
Fragrances tend to be bothersome to me, so I typically avoid them.

I do have a mango butter and a bergamot oil that I use occasionally, though, and they do smell nice.

blesseddamozel
October 28th, 2018, 07:24 PM
I don't usually like fragrances but like Lapushka mentioned Cantu products have a really nice lingering scent :) And sometimes I'll add a little bit of patchouli oil to whatever oil I'm using on my ends. However I know that scent isn't for everyone lol at least in my neck of the woods it's heavily associated with hippy dippy folk and pot smokers :) But I like how Earthy and warm it smells

Longlegs
October 28th, 2018, 08:00 PM
No, it's not something I really worry about. I think most hair products with fragrance fade from my hair after a day anyway, as long as it does'nt smell bad I don't care.

zashin66
October 28th, 2018, 08:11 PM
Yes I really like to smell fresh pretty scents when I let my hair down

illicitlizard
October 28th, 2018, 08:46 PM
I really like my hair to smell good, shampoo and conditioner with scents that linger are my preference. However, even above that I like my hair to smell like the sea, something about the salt and outdoorsy feel just feels really nice to me.

sugar&nutmeg
October 28th, 2018, 08:58 PM
Reading the responses, I understand better why 'fragrant' products are the norm. Some products are even promoted as having 'long-lasting fragrance'.

I'm very prone to sensory overload, and that includes the sense of smell. I've occasionally had to re-wash my hair with something more neutral (like CV shampoo bars) after a new shampoo or conditioner left too strong a fragrance on my hair.

And 'fragrance free' doesn't always help, because it seems EOs are not necessarily considered an 'added fragrance'.

I like clean-hair smelling hair. And coffee-flavored coffee, but that's a whole 'nother thing... ;)

sumidha
October 28th, 2018, 09:06 PM
Yes I do, but I don't particularly like strong, perfume-y scents. The coconut oil I use on my hair has some lavender essential oil in it, and sometimes I'll use my bun like a diffuser and put a drop or two of essential oil onto it. :laugh:

Doreen
October 28th, 2018, 09:45 PM
One small reason I wash every other day is to keep my hair smelling nice. I pick out new products based on scent as much as performance, and some conditioners I have purchased just to use as a final rinse for the scent alone (OGX brand, specifically). I've found that CWC seems to 'infuse' more scent into my hair from the conditioners, which I like. If it's a special occasion, I spray some perfume directly on my hair.

AutobotsAttack
October 28th, 2018, 10:06 PM
I admit I like my hair to smell rather nice. Not really a floral smell, but I like earth/ food-like smells. Shea Butter, Coco, Coconut, spring water, etc.

blackgothicdoll
October 28th, 2018, 10:23 PM
I do, but I'm very sensitive to artificial fragrants. I use products that have essential oils, and if I end up with hair that doesn't smell like much of anything, I'll take a mix of sunflower oil and rose and/or jasmine oil that I blend that put that on my hair as a finish. I also use Nightblooming's oils, Raven Queen is my favorite. My hair is usually up so I rarely smell it, but yes I like it to smell nice and not too strong.

I don't use products that smell icky to me, or too artificial. It makes me sad because that eliminates most commercial products made for my hair type.

Katsura
October 29th, 2018, 12:57 AM
I dislike products with strong fragrants, I have a sensitive atopic skin so my skin mostly prefers products that don't have any or have very little. I very much liked the Oliivi series I used for a while, the shampoo is sulphate free but has a strong almost stinging fragrance which I don't understand. So I've started searching another product. I don't think hair needs to have any fragrance. I also don't use any perfumes, only anti perspirant.

lakhesis
October 29th, 2018, 01:33 AM
I do lean towards the conditioners with strong smell, but I don't put anything more than that on my hair to make it smell good :)

Beckstar
October 29th, 2018, 01:53 AM
Aussie Moist or Aragan Curl cream is how I like my hair to smell.

shaluwm_agape
October 29th, 2018, 03:00 AM
I want my hair to smell clean bit scents that smell too fragrant bother me. I guess having hair that smells more like food or a woodsy smell is what I prefer

lottiealice
October 29th, 2018, 07:58 AM
I like quite odd smells; burning, smoky sorts of smells. I have two oil perfumes which I sometimes run through my hair a little bit before I go out (Exhale by Lush, Fireside Story by For Strange Women). I also did this with the last one I had (Death & Decay by Lush, sadly discontinued). Any spray-type perfumes I just spray straight into my hair.

As far as shampoo/conditioner goes, the scents tend to fade from my hair quite quickly.

Sid0rela
October 29th, 2018, 08:07 AM
I enjoy having hair that smells good, that’s why I use different products after washing. It feels clean and I love smelling good overall

nycelle
October 29th, 2018, 08:13 AM
My hair doesn't hold onto to any shampoo/conditioner scents, nothing lingers.

If I want my hair to smell nice, I use perfume.

MusicalSpoons
October 29th, 2018, 08:26 AM
Reading the responses, I understand better why 'fragrant' products are the norm. Some products are even promoted as having 'long-lasting fragrance'.

I'm very prone to sensory overload, and that includes the sense of smell. I've occasionally had to re-wash my hair with something more neutral (like CV shampoo bars) after a new shampoo or conditioner left too strong a fragrance on my hair.

And 'fragrance free' doesn't always help, because it seems EOs are not necessarily considered an 'added fragrance'.

I like clean-hair smelling hair. And coffee-flavored coffee, but that's a whole 'nother thing... ;)

'Fragrance free'usually means you won't find 'fragrance' (or 'parfum', over here) in the ingredients. This is mostly for people who have sensitivities / allergic reactions, because fragrance/parfum can include pretty much any combination of chemicals that are usually a proprietary formula, so manufacturers are not required to disclose what chemicals the fragrance/parfum actually contains. I think you would have to look for 'unscented' or 'scent-free' rather than 'fragrance-free' :flower:

sugar&nutmeg
October 29th, 2018, 10:12 AM
Oh, that's an excellent clarification of terms, MusicalSpoons. Thanks!

I'll have a rootle around for scent-free products.

ArabellaRose
October 29th, 2018, 10:18 AM
I love it when my hair smells nice, unfortunately the products I use don't carry any particularly strong scent so my hair doesn't really smell much of anything. It's why I like doing an SMT, my hair smells yummy for days after :D

Cg
October 29th, 2018, 11:02 AM
The only time the shampoo or conditioner have any residual scent is before my hair dries. For fragrance, I spray a tiny cloud of perfume into the air above my face and walk through the mist. I've done this almost daily for 50+ years and have quite healthy hair so don't anyone bother shrieking that it's damaging.

lillii
October 29th, 2018, 11:41 AM
I absolutely love for my hair to smell nice, and wonít use anything unless it smells good. Although I do like the smell of natural things like essential oils, and Aveda-type scents, my hair seems to do better with conventional drugstore- type products. Since Iím a daily washer, I usually donít have an issue with scent staying in my hair. Some fragrant ones that I currently like are:

Kristen Ess products from Target (woody floral)
Pantene Micellar Water (airy/ watery/ clean)

^thanks for the recommendations for both over in the conventional products section, littlestarface

Finesse products
Biolage in the classic scent, including the aloe moisture mist
Paul Mitchell lavender mint products; awaphui moisture spray
Herbal Essences Retro Smooth & Shine collections; Tousle Me Softly
H2O Plus Eucalyptus Aloe
Revlon Outrageous conditioner (canít seem to find the shampoo)

Pacifica also makes these hair/ body mists, as do some other companies. Iíve tried a bunch, but nothing that Iíve been super crazy about.

I will definitely look for those next time I go out! Thank you!

lillii
October 29th, 2018, 11:45 AM
I'm a little indifferent to good smelling hair, but! Whenever I use these stylers: Cantu, Eden Bodyworks, SM curl enhancing smoothie, or SM JBCO leave-in, it is amazing how those scents linger on my lengths and I *love* it!

Those sound really nice! I don't usually incorporate leave-ins or stylers but you've reminded me of a leave-in I used awhile ago that made my hair smell amazing! I'll look into these as well next time I go to the store, thank you!! :)

lillii
October 29th, 2018, 11:49 AM
I love it when my hair smells good. My conditioner + shampoo both smell soooo good, and they're all natural. My hair picks up the scent of smoke SO well that whenever I walk outside during winter I smell like a fireplace until my next wash. I've actually had people around me ask "what smells like smoke?" and had to confess that it was my hair. Is it the porosity? I dunno.

My ex always commented on how nice my hair smelled after washing it, and if you ask me, being told you smell nice is one of the best compliments out there. I'd rather be told how good I smell rather than how good I look lol

I agree!! It is one of the best compliments, very genuine and pure! May I ask which shampoo and conditioner you use? I'm always looking for something new, but I do find that mine is working quite nicely right now, if it weren't for the scent, I would definitely repurchase.

lillii
October 29th, 2018, 11:56 AM
I admit I like my hair to smell rather nice. Not really a floral smell, but I like earth/ food-like smells. Shea Butter, Coco, Coconut, spring water, etc.

I do love shea butter! I know it only appeals to an acquired taste but I had a chocolate melting body butter made of coconut oil and shea butter, it was one of the best scents ever, I thought. Some people I found, don't want to smell like a chocolate factory but it literally put me in a state of bliss every time I wore it! Couldn't find it again once I ran out though and I never tried it in my hair because coconut oil dries my hair out tremendously.

MoonRabbit
October 29th, 2018, 12:28 PM
I love when my hair smells like campfire. That is my all time favorite scent and I would for sure buy a campfire scented conditioner if anyone was adventurous enough to make one.

Right now my hair has a faint scent of coconut and honestly I am so sick of coconut oil, or coconut scented hair products. There are other smells available people.

Kesali
October 29th, 2018, 12:35 PM
MoonRabbit, a campfire scent sounds absolutely lovely. I don't think I've encountered anything quite like it, but I would be interested if I found a product with that sort of scent.

These days I use lavender-scented products, myself.

PixieNixie
October 29th, 2018, 12:37 PM
Yes. I dont really like floral scents, but more natural, earthy, foodie scents are what I love. I am currently using some Shea Moisture products that smell amazing. They tend to linger in my hair for days and even refresh when I dampen my hair.

nycelle
October 29th, 2018, 12:42 PM
I love when my hair smells like campfire. That is my all time favorite scent and I would for sure buy a campfire scented conditioner if anyone was adventurous enough to make one.

Right now my hair has a faint scent of coconut and honestly I am so sick of coconut oil, or coconut scented hair products. There are other smells available people.

I won't use straight coconut oil, or anything coconut scented. Just smelling like a Pina Colada that's had sunscreen poured into, is a turn off to me while I'm showering. I don't know why so many products smell like it either.

SnailFarts
October 30th, 2018, 12:07 AM
MoonRabbit, a campfire scent sounds absolutely lovely. I don't think I've encountered anything quite like it, but I would be interested if I found a product with that sort of scent.

These days I use lavender-scented products, myself.
I love the smell of campfires, but I really hate it when ny clothes/ skin/ hair smells like camp fire smoke!

I won't use straight coconut oil, or anything coconut scented. Just smelling like a Pina Colada that's had sunscreen poured into, is a turn off to me while I'm showering. I don't know why so many products smell like it either.

I also really hate smelling like coconut. It's always smelled like sunscreen to me. My sister loves it because it smells tropical to her.

I like my hair to just smell like clean hair, or I'll rub a drop of essential oils through it when I'm feeling fancy :) I have a lovely orange clove blend right now :)

paulownia
October 30th, 2018, 02:27 AM
I like having my hair smell nice, I enjoy the lingering scent of shampoo and conditionner. Nothing too sweet though...I wouldn't like to smell like strawberry or chocolate:D.
I love lavender and camomille scents in shampoos, also other herbal fragrances, like lemongrass or verbena.
And I like the smell of my hair after henna;). Hay, I know, but it is pleasant to me.

ArabellaRose
October 30th, 2018, 03:55 AM
I have a lovely orange clove blend right now :)

Oooh that sounds lovely, is that as warm and festive as I imagine it to smell? Is this one you've made or bought?

I wanna start scenting my hair based on mood/season :D

nycelle
October 30th, 2018, 06:27 AM
I love the smell of campfires, but I really hate it when ny clothes/ skin/ hair smells like camp fire smoke!

I also really hate smelling like coconut. It's always smelled like sunscreen to me. My sister loves it because it smells tropical to her.

I like my hair to just smell like clean hair, or I'll rub a drop of essential oils through it when I'm feeling fancy :) I have a lovely orange clove blend right now :)

The orange clove sounds lovely.

I have a citron fig perfume that I adore. I use it in my hair. It smells so bright and clean, one of my faves.
Will be sad if they discontinue it.

Sora Rose
October 30th, 2018, 07:53 AM
I don't pay all that much attention to how my hair smells. As long as it doesn't smell too strongly perfumed (one of my brothers is allergic), distinctly fake, or outright bad I'm happy. Something unassuming is best. Come to think of it, though, I don't usually smell it at all when it's in the bun - just when I let it down. At that point, I really like the current smell of shampoo and conditioner, but I don't know what it's called.

xoAshley
October 30th, 2018, 08:05 AM
I like my hair to smell like my shampoo & conditioner / leave-in

SnailFarts
October 30th, 2018, 11:11 AM
Oooh that sounds lovely, is that as warm and festive as I imagine it to smell? Is this one you've made or bought?

I wanna start scenting my hair based on mood/season :D

It is! I bought it from bed bath &beyond, but I'm sure you could make it as well. It says it has orange, cassia, clove bud, and cinnamon leaf essential oils.
It cheers me up in the winter :)

lapushka
October 30th, 2018, 01:30 PM
Those sound really nice! I don't usually incorporate leave-ins or stylers but you've reminded me of a leave-in I used awhile ago that made my hair smell amazing! I'll look into these as well next time I go to the store, thank you!! :)

You're welcome! Which one is it?

M3DUS4
October 30th, 2018, 01:58 PM
Yes yes and yes. I like it when my hair smells like food, in all honesty... strawberries, vanilla, brown sugar.

The way I dress has never been particularly girly-- I prefer an aesthetic that calls to mind an androgynous and slightly crazy Fine Arts student. But I am very much a woman at heart, and I like to express my femininity in more subtle, interesting ways. Like with scents that only a woman could wear.

But lately, I have been putting peppermint extract in my shampoo. An admittedly solitary study from Korea implies that there is a correlation between the application of peppermint extract to hair follicles and accelerated hair growth in laboratory mice:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4289931/

Best case scenario, my hair grows a little faster... worse case scenario, nothing happens and I smell lovely. It's a win-win.

M3DUS4
October 30th, 2018, 02:06 PM
Aw, I actually love it when my sweater smells like smoke awhile after a campfire... a few days later I can put the sweater back on, and the happy memories from all the campfires I've attended over the years will come flooding back. To each their own I guess. :) Essential oils are lovely to throw in shampoo or conditioner-- I use peppermint, myself.

I read somewhere that out of all human senses, smell is the one that acts as the most powerful trigger for memory. I was once told to always perfume my hair and neck when I go out to meet a man I love, because if he catches that same scent later on at anytime he will think of me. That's why 'signature scents' are such a big deal for some people.

sophia_
October 31st, 2018, 04:18 PM
I have a bergamot rose body oil that I rub into my hair (it's jojoba-based and doesn't have anything in it that I wouldn't put on my hair).

Corvana
October 31st, 2018, 07:10 PM
I like when my hair smells like my "normal" product mix: Shea Moisture manuka honey shampoo, Suave Essentials cherry blossom conditioner, coffee scented oil blend (a beard oil blend), and coffee and cocoa scented beard balm.

It's got this... coffee cocoa floral scent, and it smells amazing. Like a cafe with fresh flowers in it. It'll linger all week (or longer, depending on when I wash) without being overpowering.

My deep conditioner (SM manuka honey deep conditioner) smells just like my shampoo, but it lingers way more and is more overpowering. I don't like it as much!

Milkchocolate
October 31st, 2018, 09:21 PM
I honestly do not mind having hair that has no odor. But men seem to like nice smelling hair though. I know my bf loves taking a whif of my hair when I use heavily fragranced shamp/conditioners. Itís like a comfort thing for a lot of them ? Lol idk

littlestarface
October 31st, 2018, 09:41 PM
I love hair that smells good I love good smells in general, if I don't like the smell of a product I wont use it.

Mademoiselle
November 1st, 2018, 04:24 AM
I love that my hair smells good but I do not put perfumes on it due to alcohol, however I use argan oil and sweet almonds that gives it a slight sweet smell, and a leave-in that smells fresh even though it does not last long time the smell....

RottenMango
April 25th, 2019, 01:11 AM
I love my hair to smell fragrant. I love smells like vanilla, apricot, berries, mango, cinnamon, chocolate, etc. I absolutely hate it when my hair has no scent.

Begemot
April 25th, 2019, 12:28 PM
Sure. One of my leave-ins smells like candy :D

Cg
April 25th, 2019, 12:40 PM
Oh, yes. I buy shampoo and conditioner based on fragrance since they all work about the same to me. When the fresh scent fades I walk through a mist of perfume in the morning so I can always get a whiff of beautiful scent throughout the day. And when spring blossoms, I sometimes clip a sweet-smelling sprig or two into the bun.

GrowinIt
April 25th, 2019, 01:03 PM
I prefer a nice fragrance, usually a fruity smell. However currently I smell vanilla and minty because of my cowash i am using.