PDA

View Full Version : Do you drive with your hair up?

Prism
October 28th, 2018, 11:00 AM
I've tried wearing a bun with a Ficcare clip, but then I have this big lump on the back of my head. I either have to lean forward the whole trip, which is very uncomfortable, or lean back and mess up my hairdo.

TatsuOni
October 28th, 2018, 11:23 AM
I always wear my hair up when I drive (daily). I've just put my head rest so high that it doesn't touch my bun. I don't have a problem with not using the head rest.

Sarahlabyrinth
October 28th, 2018, 11:48 AM
Yes, and I tilt the back of my seat so my head doesn't then touch the headrest.

MusicalSpoons
October 28th, 2018, 01:52 PM
I don't drive any longer (chronic illness) but I always wore my hair up - still do as a passenger. I've never actually solved the headrest problem; the last time we went on a long journey I just did a very spread out LWB held with a 4-prong Jeter fork so it flattened out as much as possible. It wasn't perfect, but it was okay.

JennGalt
October 28th, 2018, 01:53 PM
It’s either in a high bun or a side braid when I drive. And I have a silky feeling microfiber pillowcase over the headrest, but I instinctively lean forward most of the time I’m driving anyway.

Flagg
October 28th, 2018, 01:58 PM
Same here. High bun normally. I usually sit forward, I don't rest back on the seat.

When I was young, I'd wear my hair down and my parents would drive with the windows open. Oofff, the knots I'd have.

AmaryllisRed
October 28th, 2018, 02:48 PM
Yeah I usually go with a high bun (I don't much like low buns anyway) or a braid. If it's down it's inside my coat. Otherwise it gets pulled into the seat belt mechanism. Ouch.
I usually sit forward anyway. If I'm on a longer drive, 30 minutes or more, I make sure it's in a comfy place so I can sit back.

neko_kawaii
October 28th, 2018, 02:53 PM
A braid or a coronet style for long rides. Headrests are there for safety, best not to circumvent them.

Prism
October 28th, 2018, 03:06 PM
Thanks for your replies. When I've tried the high bun, to clear the seat it's literally on the top of my head. Are yours that high? Unfortunately, I need the headrest due to chronic neck pain, so I have to leave it in place and seat forward.

AmaryllisRed
October 28th, 2018, 03:12 PM
I think that depends on the angle of the seat and the head rest. Mine is slanted back a little so there's a little space for a bun. In my mom's car, the headrest is actually *in front* of the seat. So annoying.
I think a flatter bun like a cinnabun might be the way to go. Just thinking of leaning my head back on the couch or a chair, it's pretty comfy if I make the cinnabun really flat against my head.

JennGalt
October 28th, 2018, 03:20 PM
Thanks for your replies. When I've tried the high bun, to clear the seat it's literally on the top of my head. Are yours that high? Unfortunately, I need the headrest due to chronic neck pain, so I have to leave it in place and seat forward.

Mine is. And try a silky pillowcase over the headrest. It helps with friction and keeps my hair from getting quite so messed up by the headrest. I don’t lean forward 100% of the time I’m in the car.

Doreen
October 28th, 2018, 04:11 PM
I don't like driving with a bun. My bun gets flattened and loosens, not to mention the flyaways and static. If it's a short drive, I'll deal with it, but anything longer than 20mins, I wear it braided. If I want to wear a bun when I arrive, it's easy to twist the braid up and hold it in place with a stick.

lillii
October 28th, 2018, 04:39 PM

I always have mine in bun as well. I gather all of my hair at the tiptop of my head, just behind the hairline, and twist it into a bun. Keeps my hair from getting dry and brittle in the car too. I found these huge scrunchies by this brand called women who look like gold and they really keep my hair secure on long drives.

Ylva
October 28th, 2018, 05:28 PM
It’s either in a high bun or a side braid when I drive. And I have a silky feeling microfiber pillowcase over the headrest, but I instinctively lean forward most of the time I’m driving anyway.

A smooth pillowcase over the headrest is a great idea! I might steal it. :)

I drive with my hair up or down. I prefer to have it out of harm's way like when it comes to any type of sitting, and I don't want it to distract or bother me. I am pretty tense when driving and I tend to sit up and straight and not use the headrest very much.

Capybara
October 28th, 2018, 05:37 PM
Yes, and I tilt the back of my seat so my head doesn't then touch the headrest.

I would be careful - the headrest is there to protect you in an accident, you definitely want it positioned properly.

I usually put my hair in a topknot/cinnabun when I’m driving, if it isn’t already up.

Ylva
October 28th, 2018, 05:41 PM
I would be careful - the headrest is there to protect you in an accident, you definitely want it positioned properly.

I agree. Correct positioning of the seat and its extensions are crucial even when it comes to accidents at low speeds.

lithostoic
October 28th, 2018, 06:04 PM
I put it into a quick side braid

illicitlizard
October 28th, 2018, 08:50 PM
Yep side braid or just down was always my go to. My back hurts enough when driving without manoeuvring myself away from the head rest!

Prism
October 28th, 2018, 09:32 PM
I think that depends on the angle of the seat and the head rest. Mine is slanted back a little so there's a little space for a bun. In my mom's car, the headrest is actually *in front* of the seat. So annoying.
I think a flatter bun like a cinnabun might be the way to go. Just thinking of leaning my head back on the couch or a chair, it's pretty comfy if I make the cinnabun really flat against my head.

I think I'll give the cinnabun a try. To make a bun, I have just twisted things around and around rather than making it more flat like I see in a YouTube video on the cinnabun. My hair is almost bra strap (I need to update the photo!), and I haven't been doing much with it other than a simple braid and occasionally a Ficcare. Thanks!

Prism
October 28th, 2018, 09:36 PM
I always have mine in bun as well. I gather all of my hair at the tiptop of my head, just behind the hairline, and twist it into a bun. Keeps my hair from getting dry and brittle in the car too. I found these huge scrunchies by this brand called women who look like gold and they really keep my hair secure on long drives.

I don't understand what you mean by gathering it just behind the hairline. Would you please explain? I've googled the scrunchies, but "women brand scrunchie" doesn't get me anywhere. Do you have a website you can share?

Jo Ann
October 28th, 2018, 09:37 PM
Work is a five-seven minute drive for me, so a bun is OK.

On longer trips, I prefer my hair down (windows up and air conditioner on) and my hair swung over the side AWAY from the seat belt retractor (in other words, on my right shoulder when I drive or am sitting on the left side of the car OR over the left shoulder when riding "shotgun" [front seat passenger] or on the right side of the car). If my hair's not down, a side braid keeping the above guidelines does me just fine. :)

Prism
October 28th, 2018, 09:38 PM
Ok, kind of a dumb question, but if you put your hair up in a bun on the top of your head, do you redo your hair when you get to where you were going? I mean, if you wanted to have a different hairstyle than a topknot, how would you drive with it if you needed the seat to be forward and the headrest in place?

AutobotsAttack
October 28th, 2018, 09:39 PM
I usually have my hair in a bun. If it’s out it tends to snag on the seat or seatbelt.

trolleypup
October 28th, 2018, 10:55 PM
Up, in my usual bun (fairly low). Rarely down (but it dould be down for a long or short drive). One of the features of the car is that the seat and headrest accommodate my bun without weird settings. Not saying it was a determining factor, but it was a consideration.

Katsura
October 29th, 2018, 12:37 AM
I wear my hair up all the time, that includes driving and travelling in a car. I usually don't need to rest my head so it's not a problem.

Dante
October 29th, 2018, 02:53 AM
I have a 1 hour commute to work so I've added a car seat support (like http://https://www.autobarn.com.au/streetwize-breathable-mesh-back-support-black-swmbsb) to my seat. This means I sit forward a little more and so my hair doesn't wreck my posture or get in the way, but at the same time, because it's fairly soft and flexible, I don't think it would impair the ability of the headrest to protect me if I was in an accident.

lithostoic
October 29th, 2018, 02:57 AM
Yep side braid or just down was always my go to. My back hurts enough when driving without manoeuvring myself away from the head rest!

Precisely!

Simsy
October 29th, 2018, 05:48 AM
Up in whatever style I’m using that day. I tend to drive sitting very upright so I’m rarely leaning against the headrest anyway.

EdG
October 29th, 2018, 07:51 AM
I tilt the seat back. The headrest does not get in the way of my hair, up or down.
Ed

spidermom
October 29th, 2018, 08:10 AM
I can't drive with a bun at all. It bothers my neck too much.

lillii
October 29th, 2018, 12:08 PM
I don't understand what you mean by gathering it just behind the hairline. Would you please explain? I've googled the scrunchies, but "women brand scrunchie" doesn't get me anywhere. Do you have a website you can share?

Yes, I flip my head over, gather all of my hair as close to my hair line as possible, twist it around into a ballerina bun, and secure with the scrunchie. It's womenwholooklikegold.com So the bun ends up being right at the top of my head but it protects my hair, it doesn't ruin my curls at all, and it gives my hair a bit more body as well. Once I get to my location, I just use hand sanitizer :) to clean my hands, take the bun down, and style. It's quite nice and the scrunchie are rather large so they cover most of the hair in the bun as well.

Ylva
October 29th, 2018, 12:12 PM
I tilt the seat back. The headrest does not get in the way of my hair, up or down.
Ed

I know this thread doesn't exist for safety warnings, but I would just like to say to everyone adjusting the seat somehow to accommodate their hair that make sure your seatbelt still sits right (close to the neck and on top of the hip bones). Adjusting the seat so that the impact spots change to something else can be fatal in the case of an accident.

HaMalka
October 29th, 2018, 12:23 PM
I usually wear my hair in a braided LWB and adjust the mirrors to accommodate my slightly odd head placement. I can't take out my bun or I have to readjust all the mirrors. On long trips where I am not driving and I want to sleep, I tend to wear a fake crown braid.

Todd
October 29th, 2018, 12:47 PM
If its in a ponytail, I can double it over and get all my hair up under a hat, which is just heavenly while driving. I can recline, use the headrest, turn my head both ways without snagging hair, etc. Otherwise, if I'm not wearing a hat I'll just drape it loose or on a ponytail in my lap. Not ideal, but it gets the job done.

If I'm going out to a bar or a club where I might want to show off my hair, I'll typically wash it a few hours beforehand, and I want to avoid getting it wrinkled or crooked. Its long enough it sometimes messes up the ends where they rest on the car seat. So usually I'll move the seat all the way back and I'll perch as high as I can and lean forward without using the seatbelt. Highly uncomfortable, and unsafe, but so far it gets the job done.

xoAshley
October 29th, 2018, 01:14 PM
I'll move the seat all the way back and I'll perch as high as I can and lean forward without using the seatbelt. Highly uncomfortable, and unsafe, but so far it gets the job done.

:patrol: Bad!! :whip:

MusicalSpoons
October 29th, 2018, 01:22 PM
I know this thread doesn't exist for safety warnings, but I would just like to say to everyone adjusting the seat somehow to accommodate their hair that make sure your seatbelt still sits right (close to the neck and on top of the hip bones). Adjusting the seat so that the impact spots change to something else can be fatal in the case of an accident.

I totally agree. Nice hair surely is not so important that one should be taking risks with one's life.

I think headrests can be adjusted and still be relatively safe - if your bun hits it slightly before your head does I guess it should just absorb the tiniest bit of the impact without really making much difference. I think if I ever wore my hair in a ponytail or single braid I'd just drape it over the shoulder on the side opposite the seatbelt. And if I wanted to wear it down and keep it looking nice, I'd do a very loose ponytail with a satin scrunchie, just enough to contain the hair, then drape it over the shoulder still. That shouldn't wrinkle it any more than just wearing it down out of the car :shrug:

Chromis
October 29th, 2018, 02:22 PM
I have the seat itself appropriately adjusted for the seatbelt, but we flipped the headrest around. It juts forward so much that it is not comfortable even if I put my hair down otherwise. Flipping it around and wearing a bun puts it pretty much wear other headrests would be. I figure my hair is pretty compact in bun and occupies that space pretty well, so I am not overly worried. Do this at your own risk. It works well for me, but I am not a safety engineer nor do I play one on tv.

EdG
October 29th, 2018, 05:53 PM
I know this thread doesn't exist for safety warnings, but I would just like to say to everyone adjusting the seat somehow to accommodate their hair that make sure your seatbelt still sits right (close to the neck and on top of the hip bones). Adjusting the seat so that the impact spots change to something else can be fatal in the case of an accident.The seat is only slightly tilted back. The headrest does not contact my hair during normal driving.

In a rear-end collision, I expect the headrest will work as designed. I won't be worrying about hair. ;)
Ed

Prism
October 30th, 2018, 01:10 AM
Yes, I flip my head over, gather all of my hair as close to my hair line as possible, twist it around into a ballerina bun, and secure with the scrunchie. It's womenwholooklikegold.com So the bun ends up being right at the top of my head but it protects my hair, it doesn't ruin my curls at all, and it gives my hair a bit more body as well. Once I get to my location, I just use hand sanitizer :) to clean my hands, take the bun down, and style. It's quite nice and the scrunchie are rather large so they cover most of the hair in the bun as well.
Thanks for the explanation and the link. Those are pretty scrunchies, but so expensive! I'm sure they're worth it if you love them that much. I love how scrunchies create waves and even sometimes curls.

WyntreBlossom
October 30th, 2018, 01:17 AM
Not related to driving but kinda related to this post/cars: When I drive I naturally sit forward a little so I don't use my headrest or worry about my hair messing up/touching the seat. But as a passenger, or as someone who is sitting/lounging on a couch or chair, I sometimes get a bit annoyed with my bun as it doesn't allow me to lean back or fully relax in a seat like a simple braid or plait would. Anyone else have this similar issue in a car/couch etc and have solutions?

Alibran
October 30th, 2018, 04:02 AM
I had long hair when I was a driving instructor. Part of my car choice was based on whether I could comfortably position the seat and headrest so that it cleared my bun.

RosaCurl
October 30th, 2018, 07:51 AM
My hair isn't enormously long, which is maybe why I've never had a problem. I also don't lean back in my seat, though, and I tend to only wear loose buns/braids because I'm super tender-headed. I've never had a discomfort problem unless I'm riding in someone's convertible. My hair is always a rat's nest after being whipped around like crazy.

BigSky
October 30th, 2018, 05:22 PM
My hair isn't quite long enough to get too messed behind my back on the seat but it does drive me wild when it gets caught under the seat belt. I'm a curly and that kind of tug just brings on the frizz. I'm getting better at grabbing it over my left shoulder before I buckle in. Hoping to eventually require some longer hair strategies but Ive got some time before that happens.

simoneymonie
October 30th, 2018, 06:57 PM
I usually wear my hair in twin braids, so it's not generally an issue while driving, but on wash days, I always sit with a very straight back and lean forward so my hair isn't crushed between me and the seat. It's probably good for my posture to sit up that straight, occasionally, lol.