PDA

View Full Version : Can a silicone free hair mask still cause build up?

MoonRabbit
October 27th, 2018, 12:26 PM
I've been using the Garnier Fructis Smoothing Treat 1 Minute Hair Mask + Avocado Extract as a deep treatment before washing my hair. Honestly it isn't the best product I have ever used but since I recently went cone free I decided just to use it up. It says it is cone free but I still feel like it is leaving some build up on my hair. I can actually feel some strands that have a waxy layer. Is there a certain ingredient that could be causing this?

1199858 H INGREDIENTS, AQUA / WATER / EAU, CETEARYL ALCOHOL, GLYCERIN, ISOPROPYL MYRISTATE, STEARAMIDOPROPYL DIMETHYLAMINE, BUTYROSPERMUM PARKII BUTTER / SHEA BUTTER, OLEA EUROPAEA OIL / OLIVE FRUIT OIL, GLYCINE SOJA OIL / SOYBEAN OIL, SODIUM HYDROXIDE, HELIANTHUS ANNUUS SEED OIL / SUNFLOWER SEED OIL, ROSMARINUS OFFICINALIS LEAF EXTRACT / ROSEMARY LEAF EXTRACT, COCO-CAPRYLATE/CAPRATE, COCOS NUCIFERA OIL / COCONUT OIL, HYDROXYPROPYL GUAR HYDROXYPROPYLTRIMONIUM CHLORIDE, CAPRYLYL GLYCOL, CITRIC ACID, PERSEA GRATISSIMA OIL / AVOCADO OIL, TARTARIC ACID, CETYL ESTERS, TOCOPHEROL, SALICYLIC ACID, CARAMEL, LINALOOL, EUGENOL, LIMONENE CITRONELLOL, BENZYL ALCOHOL, BENZYL SALICYLATE, PARFUM / FRAGRANCE, F.I.L. C212864/1

lapushka
October 27th, 2018, 12:44 PM
I've been using the Garnier Fructis Smoothing Treat 1 Minute Hair Mask + Avocado Extract as a deep treatment before washing my hair. Honestly it isn't the best product I have ever used but since I recently went cone free I decided just to use it up. It says it is cone free but I still feel like it is leaving some build up on my hair. I can actually feel some strands that have a waxy layer. Is there a certain ingredient that could be causing this?

1199858 H INGREDIENTS, AQUA / WATER / EAU, CETEARYL ALCOHOL, GLYCERIN, ISOPROPYL MYRISTATE, STEARAMIDOPROPYL DIMETHYLAMINE, BUTYROSPERMUM PARKII BUTTER / SHEA BUTTER, OLEA EUROPAEA OIL / OLIVE FRUIT OIL, GLYCINE SOJA OIL / SOYBEAN OIL, SODIUM HYDROXIDE, HELIANTHUS ANNUUS SEED OIL / SUNFLOWER SEED OIL, ROSMARINUS OFFICINALIS LEAF EXTRACT / ROSEMARY LEAF EXTRACT, COCO-CAPRYLATE/CAPRATE, COCOS NUCIFERA OIL / COCONUT OIL, HYDROXYPROPYL GUAR HYDROXYPROPYLTRIMONIUM CHLORIDE, CAPRYLYL GLYCOL, CITRIC ACID, PERSEA GRATISSIMA OIL / AVOCADO OIL, TARTARIC ACID, CETYL ESTERS, TOCOPHEROL, SALICYLIC ACID, CARAMEL, LINALOOL, EUGENOL, LIMONENE CITRONELLOL, BENZYL ALCOHOL, BENZYL SALICYLATE, PARFUM / FRAGRANCE, F.I.L. C212864/1

To answer the question in your title, yes you can still get build-up from using silicone-free products, it can come from waxes, oils and heavy butters for instance.

I don't immediately see something jumping out at me, unless it's the soja/soybean oil (which is quite high up the list).

MusicalSpoons
October 27th, 2018, 12:47 PM
The Shea butter could certainly cause build up, I'm not 100% sure about the other conditioning ingredients but I think the guar hydroxy... chloride might have potential for buildup too :eye:

MoonRabbit
October 27th, 2018, 12:55 PM
Will I need to use a sulfate to get them off?

Rowdy
October 27th, 2018, 01:03 PM
I avoid silicone free products because they almost always give me build up from all the heavy butters and oils. In the one you listed the shea butter would for sure give me build up and probably after only one use.

MusicalSpoons
October 27th, 2018, 01:03 PM
Try using cocamidopropyl betaine first - it's effective on some cones so will probably do the job, especially if you've not used it very often :)

Joules
October 27th, 2018, 02:25 PM

The highlighted one. It's a cationic conditioner witn very high buildup potential (even higher than most polyquats!), some sources even say that it's a film former. So yeah, I'd say it's the culprit. Can be pemoved (or mostly removed) by pretty much any shampoo though.

Also, that's why I think most silicone-free products are a scam. In any conditioner there has to be something that helps with detangling, and some of those conditioning agents can be worse than cones buildup-wise.

lapushka
October 27th, 2018, 02:29 PM
I personally would use a sulfate, just to be sure it's all clear. Trying first with a less harsh cleanser, then you risk it not being enough and having to rewash your hair; not worth it!

Dark40
October 27th, 2018, 04:32 PM
I would also use a sulfate as well. Just to be sure you've gotten all of the buildup out.

Rebeccalaurenxx
October 28th, 2018, 01:08 AM
I personally see more tangles with silicone products vs silicone free product, but I still get build up from silicone free.
Just not as quickly as I would when using cones. I actually really like this hair treatment too. My hair felt nice.
I am going through a build up issue right now myself, don’t think this treatment did it, though.

Shorty89
October 28th, 2018, 10:29 AM
I use Garnier Fruit Treats as well and have to be careful about buildup. But, a simple CO (all the way to the ends) gets rid of the build-up from Fruit Treats for me. :flower:

renia22
October 28th, 2018, 12:18 PM
Will I need to use a sulfate to get them off?

Any number of those ingredients can build up. On my fine hair I have to avoid Shea, coconut, olive oil..things like that build up on me right away, and I have a very hard time washing out. You can try a sulfate shampoo, but whatever you end up using, I’d go with warm/ hot water.

Arciela
October 28th, 2018, 06:30 PM
I've used this before as well and experienced build up. A quick clarify wash cleared it up :) oddly enough I find I get less build up with silicone products.

MoonRabbit
October 28th, 2018, 06:34 PM
I avoid silicone free products because they almost always give me build up from all the heavy butters and oils. In the one you listed the shea butter would for sure give me build up and probably after only one use.

Yeah, I didn't even think about the shea since I used shea moisture products before with great results but was also using sulfates at the time so I never had an issue with it building up on me.

The highlighted one. It's a cationic conditioner witn very high buildup potential (even higher than most polyquats!), some sources even say that it's a film former. So yeah, I'd say it's the culprit. Can be pemoved (or mostly removed) by pretty much any shampoo though.

Also, that's why I think most silicone-free products are a scam. In any conditioner there has to be something that helps with detangling, and some of those conditioning agents can be worse than cones buildup-wise.

Yeah I know what you mean. I had some really bad build up issues from cones and since I have been cone free for a few weeks it seems like I am struggling with the same issue minus the great coney slip.

I use Garnier Fruit Treats as well and have to be careful about buildup. But, a simple CO (all the way to the ends) gets rid of the build-up from Fruit Treats for me. :flower:

That's great to hear. I will do a CWC and see if that helps.