PDA

View Full Version : Honey thread - from TBB and bits from old LHC

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [22]

Zalicat
January 10th, 2019, 05:29 PM
I think I'll try this on the weekend!

priinnz
January 14th, 2019, 07:48 PM
Has anyone observed increased hair fall with the honey lightening treatment?

I don’t apply it to my scalp, only to my lengths, but I guess that since the sticky honey mixture is difficult to apply, there may be some pulling/ tugging of the hair involved. Any suggestions how I can work around this please?

Sinthia
March 14th, 2019, 07:53 AM
I see none of the pictures that are posted on the picture thread for this. Does anyone else see them?

vpatt
June 12th, 2019, 05:49 AM
Does anyone wash their scalp with honey?

stardust lady
July 11th, 2019, 07:01 PM
I couldn't find the answer to this question anywhere (though I'm sure it exists), but is there any benefit to leaving the treatment on the hair longer than 1 hour? I'm trying to lighten henna. Also is this method safe for permed straight hair that is already damaged?

stardust lady
July 12th, 2019, 01:31 AM
I read somewhere on this thread from ktani that honey does not work as a shampoo because it causes build up.

martagill
September 2nd, 2019, 03:31 PM
HalcyonDays

Thank you for the pictures.

I am glad that you are so plesed with the results.

It appears to be a huge difference in colour.

Unfortunately, the before picture is really dark.

It is hard fo me to really see the difference in colour clearly.

I do believe you but you are in shadow, or it is just the lighting?

Picture lighting is tricky.

Do you have any recent pictures of your hair in better lighting?

If you do have residue, shampooing will remove that.

A vinegar rinse should help too.

Please give me the details of your recipe, the honey you used, and the method, to share with others.

And how is the condition of your hair, aside from the residue?

Too bad I can't see any of the pics. So disappointing. It's a waste of time to read these boards if I only have access to half the information.

neko_kawaii
September 2nd, 2019, 03:34 PM
Too bad I can't see any of the pics. So disappointing. It's a waste of time to read these boards if I only have access to half the information.

You are missing some information too! Many pictures have disappeared for all of us over the years for a variety of reasons. It isn’t new members who are missing out on old pictures.

Amix
September 29th, 2019, 09:19 PM
I don't see a lot of pictures too, I thought it was because I was new but then I saw pictures in some other, newer threads. It's too bad because I'm really curious about honey lightening results.

M-I
October 22nd, 2019, 06:02 AM
I did the lightening honey treatment on my hair according to the recipe on the first page! I used a dark honeydew honey blend and distilled water, and cinnamon. I let it develop for an hour and then put it in my hair with a makeup brush, wrapped it in plastic wrap and left it for an hour. Some strands of hair are way lighter now but most of my hair is not noticeably lighter. It probably takes more treatments to get a result so I will continue to do this treatment 1-2 times a week. I think I will try EVOO instead of cinnamon next time, and then both at the same time.

My hair has been bleached and dyed several times so it's probably hard to lighten and the old dye might stick more in some places than others. I will report back when I get new results!

EliL
April 14th, 2020, 01:10 PM
Hi All, I am brand new and started reading all the information and it is so much. It will take me a long time but I will eventually get there. Many thanks for this forum and the useful information. I have a question regarding honey lightening - does it have any impact on grey hair (i.e. does it make any tint)? May be this was discussed but I still haven’t found it. Many thanks in advance.

EliL
May 6th, 2020, 01:59 PM
Ok, so here are some updates: I did the honey lightening two times, exactly as described on the first page. Both times it did not lighten my natural dark roots but I think it lightened a little bit my chemically dyed hair length. My hair felt soft and silky and very shiny. In the future I might do it for the conditioning, but I don’t think the lightening works for me.

SleepyTangles
May 9th, 2020, 01:36 AM
Ok, so here are some updates: I did the honey lightening two times, exactly as described on the first page. Both times it did not lighten my natural dark roots but I think it lightened a little bit my chemically dyed hair length. My hair felt soft and silky and very shiny. In the future I might do it for the conditioning, but I don’t think the lightening works for me.

Honey lightening definitively gives a beautiful shine! As a natural brunette, I also remember that on me was more like a "natural highlights booster" than a proper lightener...

EliL
May 10th, 2020, 02:52 PM
Honey lightening definitively gives a beautiful shine! As a natural brunette, I also remember that on me was more like a "natural highlights booster" than a proper lightener...

SleepyTangles, thank you - it seems indeed somewhat individual for every type of hair. It is good to know that honey lightening can boost natural highlights of brunette hair. I am aiming at some more natural hair dying options, but for now my natural brunette roots (with a bit of silver) are becoming bigger and bigger :)

baanoo
March 14th, 2021, 10:52 AM
Reviving this thread! I think maybe next week I'll give this a try...

Handel'sWig
March 16th, 2021, 06:45 PM
Ooh I didn’t know about this thread! I keep bees as a hobby so I usually have TONS of honey around. Need to try it for hair :flower: Not the lightening part but I’m really interested in the idea of using it as a leave-in

maddie9
April 6th, 2021, 03:28 AM
Hey everyone, I'd be really interested in trying this on my dark blonde (bronde?) hair to bring out some of the lighter colour and golden tones. It gets lighter in the summertime when I get the chance to sit in the sun more, but with quarantine and winter it's been looking a lot darker to me.

I was hoping to see some pics of results from other people with a similar hair colour first to see if it makes a significant change - the first post on this thread has links to pictures that members posted but almost all are pre-2008 and don't show up in the post when I go look. Is there anyone who still uses honey lightening and can post/tell me about their results? It seems like a lot of effort so I'm not sure if it would be better to just spend a bit of money to get subtle highlights at the hairdressers?

More info: I've tried lightening my hair with chamomile tea (brew strong chamomile tea, allow to cool, apply as a rinse after conditioning hair and leave in for ~10 mins before rinsing out). I did this in total about 6 times and did notice a veeeery subtle difference in my hair colour but not enough to warrant continued use. It did also dry out my hair a bit). So, is the honey method any better than chamomile?

FrayedFire
April 6th, 2021, 04:57 PM
I was hoping to see some pics of results from other people with a similar hair colour first to see if it makes a significant change - the first post on this thread has links to pictures that members posted but almost all are pre-2008 and don't show up in the post when I go look.

There is a workaround for viewing old images, iirc, you have to quote the post, change http to https and then preview. I believe there is also an extension that someone made, but idk cause I use LHC exclusively on my phone. Hope this helps!

maddie9
April 6th, 2021, 10:33 PM
There is a workaround for viewing old images, iirc, you have to quote the post, change http to https and then preview. I believe there is also an extension that someone made, but idk cause I use LHC exclusively on my phone. Hope this helps!

Thank you, I did try this previously on a lot of the picture links on the first page of the thread; but unfortunately the pictures still don't appear, at least the ones I have tried. You just see an empty space where the images should be in the post preview, or they show up as a broken link icon (blue question mark box).

Has anyone got a link to the extension? I can try that, just in case it helps.

I'm not familiar with how LHC stores old images, but it could be that they're no longer accessible or have been deleted by the poster. That's why I posted here to see if there was any more recent honey lightening experimentation going on :)

FrayedFire
April 9th, 2021, 12:52 AM
Has anyone got a link to the extension? I can try that, just in case it helps.

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=151184

Here you go! Sorry it took me a bit to find the thread~

rosenester
November 10th, 2022, 06:31 PM
BUMP & live again old thread! I have learned so much looking through this thread.

I plan to treat my hair tomorrow, 20 grams honey to 80 grams distilled water + cardamom for the booster (it makes it grainy but makes it smells like cake :o). I will be clarifying first, as I haven’t washed my scalp in a week and there is some dry shampoo and serum in there.

I have done 2 rounds of honey lightening a few months ago, and those worked wonderfully for my dark blonde hair by bringing out the already existing sun-highlights. I applied it to the hairline & crown of my head where the highlights naturally form, not bothering to make enough solution to cover the underneath parts that naturally stay much darker (a level 7 probably). The lightest few streaks are about a level 8 now, & beginning to blend with my bleach I’m growing out, and the tone is nice, golden but more neutral than brassy. I don’t expect much from 1 more round, but will do a second treatment in 2 weeks when I have time to keep sludge on my hair for an hour again :rolling:

cookies
November 11th, 2022, 02:29 AM
BUMP & live again old thread! I have learned so much looking through this thread.

I've been reading around here too these days :) I'm growing out bleach and using henna now, but I love the hennaed bleach color and find the henna only part a bit darker than what I'd like. If I can achieve a happy medium between the two, I'd be very happy.

I just introduced the SMT to my routine and I'm loving it. I read in the first pages here that someone accidentally lightened their hair with SMT, so I'll try to do that on purpose as I do want to keep the effort to a minimum, I'm lazy like that :lol:
I already don't heat it because I don't have a microwave and apparently that's partially what kills the peroxide. Now I'm going to try and find which conditioner ingredients do too and look for one without them.

I really wish the before and after photos were still there to see what I could expect but they all seem to be gone by now :(

rosenester
November 11th, 2022, 07:35 AM
I've been reading around here too these days :) I'm growing out bleach and using henna now, but I love the hennaed bleach color and find the henna only part a bit darker than what I'd like. If I can achieve a happy medium between the two, I'd be very happy.

I just introduced the SMT to my routine and I'm loving it. I read in the first pages here that someone accidentally lightened their hair with SMT, so I'll try to do that on purpose as I do want to keep the effort to a minimum, I'm lazy like that :lol:
I already don't heat it because I don't have a microwave and apparently that's partially what kills the peroxide. Now I'm going to try and find which conditioner ingredients do too and look for one without them.

I really wish the before and after photos were still there to see what I could expect but they all seem to be gone by now :(

I am too lazy to mix my own SMT- I just load on the conditioner and leave it on extra. :lol: maybe one day I’ll try.

There’s a thread about using sun-in to brighten/lighten henna if your honey treatments don’t do it! Some of the older recipe’s for honey lightening include adding conditioner, so I wonder if there is a list buried in this thread of conditioners that would work.

I especially am missing the photos as well!

cookies
November 11th, 2022, 02:12 PM
I am too lazy to mix my own SMT- I just load on the conditioner and leave it on extra. :lol: maybe one day I’ll try.

There’s a thread about using sun-in to brighten/lighten henna if your honey treatments don’t do it! Some of the older recipe’s for honey lightening include adding conditioner, so I wonder if there is a list buried in this thread of conditioners that would work.

I especially am missing the photos as well!

I've been doing the same with the conditioner, but last week I realised I have all SMT ingredients and did it and my mind was blown :D I think I'll keep doing it once a week. The problem ingredient for lightening seems to be the aloe and its high vitamin C content, so I might as well do the recommended recipe then.

I've read the Sun-in thread but I'm in Europe and we don't have that one here, can't figure out what a local equivalent is yet. I'm not in a rush anyway, I'll still have my orange ends for at least another six months and I'll see how the honey witchcraft works out :magic:

Either way, it seems the time has come for some new photos so I promise I'll share!

BVU
February 17th, 2023, 12:16 PM
@rosenester @cookies Does anyone have updates? How did it go?

cookies
February 22nd, 2023, 03:19 AM
@rosenester @cookies Does anyone have updates? How did it go?
I haven’t done it yet, I’ve been doing other hair experiments. So far I can only report that SMT does not lighten my hair :D
I’ll wait a bit for my roots to grow so I can see how it affects my natural hair color too.

rosmarinus
February 23rd, 2023, 01:31 PM
I'm still in a child-like awe about honey even though I've used it for years. It is one of my favourite natural ingredients in general and my absolute favourite for my hair. No other ingredient or product I've tested has such great ability to moisturize and keep my hair moisturized throughout the days before the next wash. My hair just loves it.

I didn't start to use it to lighten my hair in the first place, but I do like it what it does. I don't let it sit for so long so the lightening effect is not dramatic. The moisturizing effect have done a lot for my natural color too.

cookies
February 24th, 2023, 01:58 AM
@rosmarinus that’s great, how do you use it and how often if I may ask? And do you have favorite types of honey?

Bat
February 25th, 2023, 10:07 PM
This is curious! Sadly none of the photos work for me so I can't see how it lightens on virgin mid brown hair

cookies
February 26th, 2023, 03:56 AM
This is curious! Sadly none of the photos work for me so I can't see how it lightens on virgin mid brown hair

I’ve read more pages of this thread than I’d ever like to admit lol exactly because there’s barely any photos, from what I gather a golden light brown is achievable from our dreaded ashy mid brown. Given that you’re starting from scratch, you might be able to get some pretty good results by the time you get to that chin length bob! Obviously it wouldn’t go blonde but I imagine deposit only dyes (or whatever they’re called) would show better.
Could be worth a try before you jump into the henndigo black :)
AND honey lightening/henndigoing would have pretty much the exact opposite effect on your hair quality than bleaching/chemical black and running your fingers through your silky smooth hair might just convince you to give it a chance :cheer:

rosmarinus
February 26th, 2023, 04:45 AM
@rosmarinus that’s great, how do you use it and how often if I may ask? And do you have favorite types of honey?

I mix 3-4 tbsp of honey with some water so that the consistency turns quite watery. If the honey had crystallized I have to carefully warm it up a little bit. I apply it all over from my scalp and roots to the ends(on wet hair). I use it once a week, and let it sit atleast 20 mins under a shower cap. If your hair is very dry, the longer you let it sit the better(but of course you might get slightly lighter coloring after that). I also wrap towel around my head and put another one on my shoulders to prevent mess. Then I rinse it off with warm water. Washing off honey needs to be done carefully, it is not dangerous to leave it in hair but it turns sticky when it dries and that's quite annoying(experienced this the first times when I tried it.) if that happens warm water and conditioner removes it easily.

In my case, result is glossy and soft hair, honey does not wheigh my fine hair down. Afterwards I've read that other people with similar hairtype have also found out that their hair loves honey.

When I used shampoo the result didn't have significant difference if I did it before or after shampooing, but if I did it before I conditioned my hair with aloe vera gel after shampooing, so it was basically CWC

I have always used local blossom honey.

Bat
February 26th, 2023, 12:30 PM
I’ve read more pages of this thread than I’d ever like to admit lol exactly because there’s barely any photos, from what I gather a golden light brown is achievable from our dreaded ashy mid brown. Given that you’re starting from scratch, you might be able to get some pretty good results by the time you get to that chin length bob! Obviously it wouldn’t go blonde but I imagine deposit only dyes (or whatever they’re called) would show better.
Could be worth a try before you jump into the henndigo black :)
AND honey lightening/henndigoing would have pretty much the exact opposite effect on your hair quality than bleaching/chemical black and running your fingers through your silky smooth hair might just convince you to give it a chance :cheer:

I'm not a big fan of golden brown so it's probably not an idea for me but would like to give it a go as an experiment
Smooth hair would be nice to my hair is coarse medium

Jovana
October 26th, 2023, 09:05 AM
Is a good idea mix honey, water and magnesium hydroxide (pH 8-9)? I want to remove hair dye.

aeryss
November 22nd, 2023, 03:45 AM
Hullo, I've stumbled upon this thread last night when thinking about how I could lighten my henna results (or let's say various coloring experiments) a little bit, without doing any damage (having previously tried a bleach bath my hair wasn't happy about) and remembered my old recipe for lightening semi-permanent dyes. Which was mostly conditioner, olive oil, honey and cinnamon.

Today I've used the recipe in this thread aka 4:1 water and honey, half a teaspoon of cinnamon after letting it sit for one hour before using (total amount 1 1/2c water, 1/2 c honey).
Washed my hair with cleansing shampoo, towel dried it and applied the honey treatment to wet hair from an old shampoo bottle, more or less just slapping it on my head. When I felt my hair was soaked, I have about a third of the mixture left and I was being very generous with it so I might do another round tomorrow - so I think for me dooing it on wet hair is the way to go, it's super easy).
I've let it sit for an hour under a plastic bag and a towel and then rinsed it out with shampoo. Hair ist still wet so no idea on how well it worked - I'll report back.

My hair before the treatment: had been colored with semi-permanent orange/red shades for about 4 years, sometimes brown semis and one fatal hair salon dye which makes everything I put on now grab so much better. Lately I used different kinds of henna+cassia mixtures and a round of pure cassia+katam (very little katam just to town down the orange a bit). The overall color - even though I removed some of the previous colorings with vitamin c treatments - is a level 6 reddish copper I'd say.
I don't want to strip too much of the current color, just trying to lighten the tone it a bit.

aeryss
November 22nd, 2023, 05:46 AM
Forgot to mention before: I used local farmers market honey (local to my hometown, Germany) and filtered water.

Now that my hair is mostly dry I can say the roots - which have only been colored twice look distinctively lighter. The rest, if any changes happened, might look more bright, I think mostly Katam / old semi-permanents have been lifted, not Henna. The change is very subtle overall, but I'm not unhappy with the procedere and will do it again.

Especially because my hair feels soooo good right now, silky-smooth, no frizz and it dried super fast.