PDA

View Full Version : Honey thread - from TBB and bits from old LHC

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22

ktani
September 30th, 2010, 01:51 PM
Quick question: Can you get lightening results just from adding honey and/or cinnamon to your regular shampoo or conditioner? If so, how long does it typically take to notice results?

Not likely. Shampoo is not left on the hair long enough and it is not a good idea to do so. It can be drying if done.

Same with most use of conditioner. Honey slowly releases peroxide and some conditioners contain ingredients that can impede honey lightening. Conditioner is no longer recommended for honey lightening recipes.

The recommended time of a honey lightening recipe is 1 hour. Please see the first post of this thread.

dainaleeo2
October 2nd, 2010, 03:35 PM
alright, so i just mixed up my first batch. i used filtered water [wasnt sure if this is the same as 'distilled'. its been sitting for awhile so...i just assumed?], then the market pantry honey in the bear, & a tbsp of EVOO.

i'm going to let it sit for an hour. but, it doesn't....look as if its going to mix well. obviously, since water & oil don't really mix, & all of the honey seems to be settling on the bottom. is this normal? ive never done one so it's just odd at the moment xD

dainaleeo2
October 2nd, 2010, 05:52 PM
nevermind the question: i just realized that the honey dissolves into the water, or at least isnt chunky, after a few minutes.

tip for those that dont have a swim cap:
i used ceran wrap to make it stay, then added a shower cap over that, PLUS, since it was still dripping, i put a beanie/skull cap on over that & surprise, its rather snug, just like a swim cap. so, its a good alternative if you dont have a swim cap :)
im a bit sticky since the application was all over the place, but i'm excited for the results. i have about 40 minutes then im going to take a shower :)

princessp
October 2nd, 2010, 06:06 PM
I just wanted to say I got some success with 2 honey + cardamon treatments on hennaed hair. I didn't get any photos, but if I continue with this I will try to track and post my progress a little better for LHC.

ktani
October 2nd, 2010, 06:41 PM
I just wanted to say I got some success with 2 honey + cardamon treatments on hennaed hair. I didn't get any photos, but if I continue with this I will try to track and post my progress a little better for LHC.

Great news! I am happy that you are pleased. Pictures are not neccessary. However, they are always welcome here.

dainaleeo2
October 3rd, 2010, 11:53 AM
well i can see a wee bit of lightening, when i stand in the natural light, since my bathroom light makes everything look darker. it's more coppery & lighter, but it wasn't drastic. But I didn't expect it to be.
Today I'm doing another. I might take pictures & post them tomorrow to see if there is any difference :)

ktani
October 3rd, 2010, 12:39 PM
well i can see a wee bit of lightening, when i stand in the natural light, since my bathroom light makes everything look darker. it's more coppery & lighter, but it wasn't drastic. But I didn't expect it to be.
Today I'm doing another. I might take pictures & post them tomorrow to see if there is any difference :)

It sounds like a good start. I look forward to your update.

dainaleeo2
October 4th, 2010, 09:15 AM
It really lightened considerably! i can tell that a lot of the red warmth from my demi-permanent is gone. in natural light it looks a lot lighter than it did before. i would say maybe it's lightened about a shade, which isn't a lot but its enough to slightly notice.

i noticed that it really does seem to take the brassy-ness out of hair, since my roots, which were slightly more warm i guess, now look more ash in color/tone, but thats fine with me. everything just looks a bit lighter all over.

Condition wise, my hair is nice. i just recently had a cut since the ends were rather thin, so its nice to see that it remained nice even after the 2 treatments. it felt softer, but i also deep conditioned so it might be a combo of the two? either way it didn't hurt it so that's all that matters to me :] no residue either, since i also did an ACV rinse to make sure, so no issues there!
my camera isn't really working, so i hope that i'll be able to take pictures later in the week. if not, well, its still a success to me :)

ktani
October 4th, 2010, 09:50 AM
It really lightened considerably! i can tell that a lot of the red warmth from my demi-permanent is gone. in natural light it looks a lot lighter than it did before. i would say maybe it's lightened about a shade, which isn't a lot but its enough to slightly notice.

i noticed that it really does seem to take the brassy-ness out of hair, since my roots, which were slightly more warm i guess, now look more ash in color/tone, but thats fine with me. everything just looks a bit lighter all over.

Condition wise, my hair is nice. i just recently had a cut since the ends were rather thin, so its nice to see that it remained nice even after the 2 treatments. it felt softer, but i also deep conditioned so it might be a combo of the two? either way it didn't hurt it so that's all that matters to me :] no residue either, since i also did an ACV rinse to make sure, so no issues there!
my camera isn't really working, so i hope that i'll be able to take pictures later in the week. if not, well, its still a success to me :)

Thank you for updating.

Wonderful news on both fronts, the colour and the condition of your hair! For removing honey residue, while vinegar can help, shampoo has been reported to work the best.

If you were using an ACV rinse, it is known to add a reddish or golden tint to the hair. That may account for your roots being more golden before. White vinegar is preferred by blondes to avoid that and it works equally well.

It is acetic acid at work, no matter what kind of vinegar you buy. Coloured vinegars can alter hair colour somewhat. Just make sure the vinegar you buy has a 5% acetic content. Otherwise, you will need to dilute it much more than with the usual percentage of acetic acid in vinegars which is 5%, http://ktanihairsense.blogspot.com/2010/09/vinegar-rinses.html.

Honey lightening has not been reported to damage hair, no matter many treatments are done, over how many hours, or how often they are done.

schweedie
October 4th, 2010, 09:54 AM
Glad you got good results, dainaleeo2!

Something I've been wondering: does everyone's hair actually stay wet, or do you wet it continously during the treatment? Because I've done a few treatments without seeing any real, noticeable lightening, and while it may be that the honey I'm using doesn't have a high enough peroxide value, I was wondering if the reason could be that every time I go to take of my swim cap and rinse my hair, it's almost dry. I don't know how to keep my hair from drying. I guess I could make some extra honey mixture and wet it down a few more times, but it's a whole procedure getting the swimcap over my hair and once it's on, I don't really want to take it off.

So, how do you guys do it?

ktani
October 4th, 2010, 10:03 AM
Glad you got good results, dainaleeo2!

Something I've been wondering: does everyone's hair actually stay wet, or do you wet it continously during the treatment? Because I've done a few treatments without seeing any real, noticeable lightening, and while it may be that the honey I'm using doesn't have a high enough peroxide value, I was wondering if the reason could be that every time I go to take of my swim cap and rinse my hair, it's almost dry. I don't know how to keep my hair from drying. I guess I could make some extra honey mixture and wet it down a few more times, but it's a whole procedure getting the swimcap over my hair and once it's on, I don't really want to take it off.

So, how do you guys do it?

I will leave answers to come from others, however, what has been reported is that by the time the treatment has been fully applied, hair has started to dry in some areas for people. Keeping some of the treatment back and misting areas that have started to dry before covering the hair can help.

Others reported that they disliked covering their hair at all and misted their hair constantly to keep it wet for the hour or so the treatment was left on the hair. Excellent results were also reported with this method. The operative word is constantly.

schweedie
October 4th, 2010, 02:33 PM
Thanks, ktani! I might try just covering with a showercap to avoid too much dripping next time, and keep the misting up throughout. And I think I need to find another kind of honey.

ktani
October 4th, 2010, 02:42 PM
Thanks, ktani! I might try just covering with a showercap to avoid too much dripping next time, and keep the misting up throughout. And I think I need to find another kind of honey.

You are most welcome!

It can be difficult to keep the hair wet and then there are the drips. A wet not dry towel used as a covering has been reported to work and help with drips. A dry or damp towel woud absorb the treatment, which is mostly water and stop any lightening, as the hair dries.

Mirsha
October 8th, 2010, 10:58 AM
Thanks a bunch ktani.

I was trying to make a shortcut by putting it directly on wet hair, thinking it'd work better because there'd be more honey on the hair. Ha.

I have a mix standing right now, with 2 tablespoons of (relatively) dark blended Melvita (http://www.melvita.nl/) brand honey, 12 tablespoons of distilled water, a tablespoon of ground cardamom and a (approx, mine's err, very solid) a tablespoon of coconut oil.

I'm planning to leave it in for an hour and reporting back after my hair's dry.
Hair's been henna'd 4 times in 6 months, I'm trying to lighten it close to my virgin colour to grow it out.

I never updated!

I did a second honey lightening with 3 tablespoons of honey, 18 tablespoons of distilled water and a tablespoon of ground cardamom.
I left out the coconut oil this time.

There's no sign of change in pictures, but to me it looks less.. red. I don't know if it actually is but it feels like it, and I'm happy. I'm definitely going to continue this, once a week and compare after a few more treatments.

ktani
October 8th, 2010, 11:03 AM
I never updated!

I did a second honey lightening with 3 tablespoons of honey, 18 tablespoons of distilled water and a tablespoon of ground cardamom.

There's no sign of change in pictures, but to me it looks less.. red. I don't know if it actually is but it feels like it, and I'm happy. I'm definitely going to continue this, once a week and compare after a few more treatments.

Thank you for updating!

Pictures can be difficult because of lighting. You are happy with your results so far. That is what counts. See how it goes. Get feedback from those around you on the possible colour change. That can help. Good luck!

Naphthylamine
October 15th, 2010, 07:07 AM
Thanks so much for the thread ktani!
I'm a natural dark golden blonde. But like every blonde, I'd like to go blonder.
Here is my first treatment with honey:

Before: (i had my hair braided overnight, thats why it is wavy)
http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q133/Vulpecula666/LHC/none.jpg

After: (my natural hair. i cant decide if it is a 1b or 1c)
http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q133/Vulpecula666/LHC/1st.jpg

I used 2 tablespoons of unbranded flower honey my parents got from a little village. (it was their product) As a matter of fact, i had to drain the honeycombs to get the honey :D I used tap water to dilute and finally added about a tablespoon of freshly grounded cardamom.

I did the treatment like a test, to see if I would get any undesired reactions but it turned out to be pretty nice. I dont think that my haircolor is lighter, but it is definitely more glossy than it was before :)

ktani
October 15th, 2010, 07:46 AM
Thanks so much for the thread ktani!
I'm a natural dark golden blonde. But like every blonde, I'd like to go blonder.
Here is my first treatment with honey:

Before: (i had my hair braided overnight, thats why it is wavy)
http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q133/Vulpecula666/LHC/none.jpg

After: (my natural hair. i cant decide if it is a 1b or 1c)
http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q133/Vulpecula666/LHC/1st.jpg

I used 2 tablespoons of unbranded flower honey my parents got from a little village. (it was their product) As a matter of fact, i had to drain the honeycombs to get the honey :D I used tap water to dilute and finally added about a tablespoon of freshly grounded cardamom.

I did the treatment like a test, to see if I would get any undesired reactions but it turned out to be pretty nice. I dont think that my haircolor is lighter, but it is definitely more glossy than it was before :)

Welcome to LHC and the Honey thread!

I am not the best at hair typing. I can see that your hair is absolutely gorgeous though.

Thank you so much for reporting and for the pictures. Great news that your are so pleased with the results so far. Tap water can be tricky. You also did not mention how much water you used to the honey. That can make a difference too, depending on the pH of the honey when diluted. Most honeys require a ratio of 6 to 1 or, to use your test as an example, 2 tablespoons of honey to 12 tablespoons of water. Also, see if you can get distilled water. The honey sounds fine. There are honey sources to avoid though: anzer, buckwheat, chestnut, linden flower, locust flower, mint and thyme honeys because they produce less peroxide.

Please update if you continue with the treatments.

Naphthylamine
October 15th, 2010, 02:22 PM
Welcome to LHC and the Honey thread!

I am not the best at hair typing. I can see that your hair is absolutely gorgeous though.

Thank you so much for reporting and for the pictures. Great news that your are so pleased with the results so far. Tap water can be tricky. You also did not mention how much water you used to the honey. That can make a difference too, depending on the pH of the honey when diluted. Most honeys require a ratio of 6 to 1 or, to use your test as an example, 2 tablespoons of honey to 12 tablespoons of water. Also, see if you can get distilled water. The honey sounds fine. There are honey sources to avoid though: anzer, buckwheat, chestnut, linden flower, locust flower, mint and thyme honeys because they produce less peroxide.

Please update if you continue with the treatments.

Oh I prepared a 1:6 solution. I can prepare some distilled water in the lab. (I'm a chemist btw) I wish that came into my mind before :D
You sound like you are into chemistry a lot :thumbsup:. You really aroused my interest in herbal treatments and their chemistry. I will definitely experiment with honey more, and share the results :)

ktani
October 15th, 2010, 02:56 PM
Oh I prepared a 1:6 solution. I can prepare some distilled water in the lab. (I'm a chemist btw) I wish that came into my mind before :D
You sound like you are into chemistry a lot :thumbsup:. You really aroused my interest in herbal treatments and their chemistry. I will definitely experiment with honey more, and share the results :)

Great! What area of chemistry are you in? I am into the chemistry of hair care, just not professionally, lol.

Naphthylamine
October 15th, 2010, 03:32 PM
Great! What area of chemistry are you in? I am into the chemistry of hair care, just not professionally, lol.

I just started my graduate studies on organic chemistry this year.
Well good for you, both hair and skin are difficult to master, but I adore your research on honey&haircare :)

ktani
October 15th, 2010, 03:43 PM
I just started my graduate studies on organic chemistry this year.
Well good for you, both hair and skin are difficult to master, but I adore your research on honey&haircare :)

Thank you so much!
Coming from an organic chemistry graduate I am doubly honoured.

Naphthylamine
October 15th, 2010, 04:17 PM
Thank you so much!
Coming from an organic chemistry graduate I am doubly honoured.

you are most welcome :)

kabelaced
October 17th, 2010, 07:42 PM
Hi there, everyone!

I was Stumbling tonight when I found the following site (http://www.crazyjunkyard.com/category/health/), which mentions the apparent health benefits of honey and cinnamon; ktani, do you believe some of these claims are true? Have you ever seen any studies having to do with honey, cinnamon and hair loss?

(A lot of these claims seem pretty outrageous, but I figured there's a grain of truth in everything, so that's why I posted it here!)

ktani
October 17th, 2010, 08:12 PM
Hi there, everyone!

I was Stumbling tonight when I found the following site (http://www.crazyjunkyard.com/category/health/), which mentions the apparent health benefits of honey and cinnamon; ktani, do you believe some of these claims are true? Have you ever seen any studies having to do with honey, cinnamon and hair loss?

(A lot of these claims seem pretty outrageous, but I figured there's a grain of truth in everything, so that's why I posted it here!)

I have heard about cinnamon being attributed to helping prevent hair loss. It has to do with stimulating the scalp and hair folicles. However, there are a number of causes of hair loss, so a cure-all to me is impossible.

I think if any of the claims in that article were true they would have the studies to back them up listed as references. They do not.

I always like to check out current information and I love this website, http://www.healthline.com/natstandardcontent/cinnamon?brand=, because the information is often peer reviewed. Cinnamon has limitations in how it can be used. As well, See the first post of this thread, cassia cinnamon has a coumarin content that should be considered.

The same website is not any more generous about the medical applications of honey, http://usnews.healthline.com/natstandardcontent/honey. That is fine. I prefer caution to outrageous claims.

I still check out this website, http://bio.waikato.ac.nz/honey/contents.shtml. I like to keep up with different sources.

The bottom line is I would take that article "with a grain of salt", http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=with%20a%20grain%20of%20salt.

CurlyTresses
November 2nd, 2010, 01:33 PM
Sorry if this has already been covered in this thread, but I've been reading and reading through and through and at this moment am going to do a honey lightening treatment on my hair, but cannot remember if it has to be done on clarified hair, freshly washed hair or will it also work on unwashed hair. I've tried going through the thread again to find this but it is quite long and couldn't find it. Ktani, Thank you so much, this thread is very helpful and full of great information. :)

CurlyTresses
November 2nd, 2010, 02:47 PM
I ended up clarifying my hair and now have the honey lightening treatment in my hair. I used Sue Bee Clover Honey, distilled water, about 1 tblspoon ground cinnamon and 1 tblspoon EVOO. Was hoping I could use ground cardamon also, but the one I found was a bit expensive at $9.00. I will continue to look at other stores and hopefully find it more reasonably priced. :)

Naphthylamine
November 2nd, 2010, 04:05 PM
Was hoping I could use ground cardamon also, but the one I found was a bit expensive at $9.00. I will continue to look at other stores and hopefully find it more reasonably priced. :)

Cardamom is said to be the third most expensive spice on the earth, after saffron and vanilla :o

CurlyTresses
November 2nd, 2010, 04:37 PM
Cardamom is said to be the third most expensive spice on the earth, after saffron and vanilla :o

LoL - thank you. I figured it must be expensive, but was also going by this earlier post from August 2010 (think its on page 442 of this thread, 2nd post) (see below):

"Re: Honey thread - from TBB and bits from old LHC
Ok, information for anyone who is concerned The approximate pricing on honey lightening. This is based on Walmart prices in the midwest as of 8/28/2010, so YMMV...
1 gallon of distilled water - 0.89
A 24 oz bear of Walmart brand honey, dark clover - $4.89. He's got the best price break. Plus I didn't see a smaller bear.
EVOO - it's a little bottle under the name of Gem. It tastes and smells good - $2.00
Cardamon - $1.89
Cinnamon - $1.89
So grand total of $11.56 for all of those, which is less than a box of chemical lightener and the honey is better for your hair Also, all of this should last you for several treatments."

Also did find online an herb place here where I live ("Leaves and Roots") that has some: Cardamon Pod whole Elettaria cardamomum1oz; Cardamon Seed powder 1oz Elettaria cardamomum $2.30; Cardamon Seed whole 2oz Elettaria cardamomum $3.80 ~~ will have to go and see about these ~~ am still hopeful ~~ :) :o :)

ktani
November 2nd, 2010, 07:49 PM
I ended up clarifying my hair and now have the honey lightening treatment in my hair. I used Sue Bee Clover Honey, distilled water, about 1 tblspoon ground cinnamon and 1 tblspoon EVOO. Was hoping I could use ground cardamon also, but the one I found was a bit expensive at $9.00. I will continue to look at other stores and hopefully find it more reasonably priced. :)

Good luck with your treatment and please update!

All of the basic information is in the first post of this thread, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=134083&postcount=1096, See # 10. No need to read further for that. The hair only would require clarifying first if there is a lot of residue on it.

CurlyTresses
November 2nd, 2010, 08:26 PM
Good luck with your treatment and please update!

All of the basic information is in the first post of this thread, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=134083&postcount=1096, See # 10. No need to read further for that. The hair only would require clarifying first if there is a lot of residue on it.

Hi ktani, thank you. It was right there all along at #10 :agree:. Just couldn't find it since I was rushing, but I ended up clarifying with a little shampoo and a tad pinch of baking soda.

My hair is very dark brown/black and still wet so it's hard to tell how much lighter it is, but does look a little lighter. Will be able to tell more as it dries. I'm not expecting to see much lightening since this is my first treatment, but am planning on doing a few more throughout this week sometime and will update, hopefully may be adding some cardamon.

:blossom:Again thank you, this thread has been very helpful and enlightening and my hair is feeling "oh soo soft". Thanx again :):o

ktani
November 2nd, 2010, 09:18 PM
Hi ktani, thank you. It was right there all along at #10 :agree:. Just couldn't find it since I was rushing, but I ended up clarifying with a little shampoo and a tad pinch of baking soda.

My hair is very dark brown/black and still wet so it's hard to tell how much lighter it is, but does look a little lighter. Will be able to tell more as it dries. I'm not expecting to see much lightening since this is my first treatment, but am planning on doing a few more throughout this week sometime and will update, hopefully may be adding some cardamon.

:blossom:Again thank you, this thread has been very helpful and enlightening and my hair is feeling "oh soo soft". Thanx again :):o

You are most welcome!

I am glad to hear that so far your hair feels great! I look forward to reading more results when you air is dry.

Naphthylamine
November 3rd, 2010, 12:42 PM
LoL - thank you. I figured it must be expensive, but was also going by this earlier post from August 2010 (think its on page 442 of this thread, 2nd post) (see below):
Also did find online an herb place here where I live ("Leaves and Roots") that has some: Cardamon Pod whole Elettaria cardamomum1oz; Cardamon Seed powder 1oz Elettaria cardamomum $2.30; Cardamon Seed whole 2oz Elettaria cardamomum $3.80 ~~ will have to go and see about these ~~ am still hopeful ~~ :) :o :)

I bought my cardamom pods ~$3.15 recently. I think those prices you found are reasonable. But be careful about cardamom powder. It may contain impurities or it may not be fresh. The saleswoman who sold me the cardamom said they were not selling already powdered cardamom in case it goes stale.

CurlyTresses
November 3rd, 2010, 12:47 PM
I bought my cardamom pods ~$3.15 recently. I think those prices you found are reasonable. But be careful about cardamom powder. It may contain impurities or it may not be fresh. The saleswoman who sold me the cardamom said they were not selling already powdered cardamom in case it goes stale.

Hmmm, interesting. Thanks for that info above. Will have to make sure no impurities or for freshness. What type of store did you find your "cardamon pods" at? TIA :)

Naphthylamine
November 3rd, 2010, 01:07 PM
Hmmm, interesting. Thanks for that info above. Will have to make sure no impurities or for freshness. What type of store did you find your "cardamon pods" at? TIA :)

I bought mine from a local herbstore/spice bazaar which also sells home remedies, oils etc.

MandyBeth
November 12th, 2010, 09:30 PM
Well, gave up and used a PPD free demi - goldwell - to cover the red. A green over the red, then 6n overall to blend. So far, I like, plus my hair is THRILLED post dye, way nicer.

ktani
November 12th, 2010, 09:48 PM
Well, gave up and used a PPD free demi - goldwell - to cover the red. A green over the red, then 6n overall to blend. So far, I like, plus my hair is THRILLED post dye, way nicer.

The peroxide in the demi no doubt helped. I am pleased that you are so pleased with your results!

MandyBeth
November 12th, 2010, 11:21 PM
Yup, the red shows, but it's more cherry cola than the yuck it was. Plus, my hair is smooth, silky and glossy like before henna. Even if it washs out fast, it was cheap to me, and if it makes my hair nice, all good.

ktani
November 13th, 2010, 05:10 AM
Yup, the red shows, but it's more cherry cola than the yuck it was. Plus, my hair is smooth, silky and glossy like before henna. Even if it washs out fast, it was cheap to me, and if it makes my hair nice, all good.

Did you pre-oil with coconut oil and apply the demi on top of that to help prevent damage?

MandyBeth
November 13th, 2010, 11:51 AM
Nope, didn't do anything. Worst case, it trashes my hair and I pixie it to get rid of the henna. Plus my hair doesn't do well with coconut oil.

ktani
November 13th, 2010, 12:05 PM
Nope, didn't do anything. Worst case, it trashes my hair and I pixie it to get rid of the henna. Plus my hair doesn't do well with coconut oil.

The purpose of the coconut oil as a pre-treatment with hair dye applied over it is not to condition the hair (conditioning has been reported as a side benefit). It is used to bind or chelate iron and copper salts and prevent them from reacting with conventional peroxide to create damaging free radicals. It is washed out of the hair with excess colour or following colouring.
I am glad to hear your hair is none the worse for colouring it this time. Argan oil can be used instead for the same purpose (chelating), on its own, and you like using it, based on previous posts of yours. You do have options.

Totte
November 15th, 2010, 11:42 AM
I've been testing this (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=6467&postcount=4) method out for a few times now. But the smell of crushed tomatoes (I used both fresh ones and crushed ones) was terrible, so I added some cinnamon to cover the terrible smell after the second try :P It's better but still... smelly.

Anyway! I tried the honey/EVOO/cinnamon/distilled water method first which didn't seem to do much, hence I attempted the one with the tomatoes and my fiance has confirmed that my hair has indeed become lighter!

The last two times I've also followed it up by an AV rinse, which I now like a lot :) The only negative thing was to get it all OUT of the hair again >_>; Bah! The best thing though, apart from the lightening is that my hair feel wonderful :) I've been having issues with dry scalp and terrible dry hair for years and now it finally feels soft and shiny. It's as if someone exchanged my hair :)

Just thought I'd share :)

ktani
November 15th, 2010, 05:38 PM
I've been testing this (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=6467&postcount=4) method out for a few times now. But the smell of crushed tomatoes (I used both fresh ones and crushed ones) was terrible, so I added some cinnamon to cover the terrible smell after the second try :P It's better but still... smelly.

Anyway! I tried the honey/EVOO/cinnamon/distilled water method first which didn't seem to do much, hence I attempted the one with the tomatoes and my fiance has confirmed that my hair has indeed become lighter!

The last two times I've also followed it up by an AV rinse, which I now like a lot :) The only negative thing was to get it all OUT of the hair again >_>; Bah! The best thing though, apart from the lightening is that my hair feel wonderful :) I've been having issues with dry scalp and terrible dry hair for years and now it finally feels soft and shiny. It's as if someone exchanged my hair :)

Just thought I'd share :)

The tomato recipe is no longer recommeded because of the Vitamin C content, which reduces the honey peroxide level. However, if you are happy with your results that is great!

MandyBeth
November 15th, 2010, 07:12 PM
Well, we have major filters for our water now, so that helps. Plus I use argan oil daily. So that may have helped my hair. Oh well, I like.

VanderPluym
November 21st, 2010, 10:55 AM
I hate posting in a thread I haven't entirely read... but good night! there's a lot of stuff in here.

Anyway, I tried a honey, evoo, water, and a dash of cinnamon the other day, but no effect whatsoever. I misunderstood the instructions, and let it ... I guess "prime" the peroxide an hour before putting it on. My ratios were off... and I don't know how good my honey is.

BUT! I'm sitting here with a new mixture (now with more cinnamon!) based on a couple different recipes from the first 40 pages... But I still don't have any proper measurements lol.

Organix teatree mint conditioner (I finished off my bottle)
chamomile tea (stash... didn't say if it was Roman or not... they buy from Egypt..?)
Pure and Simple brand honey (the only one I could find at the store)
McCormick ground cinnamon (1/2 teaspoon)
and generic evoo

I like how the conditioner gives it a more syrupy texture instead of really watery. Still drippy, but not running down my face like the other day. I didn't use all of my recipe since I'm just doing my roots... Trying to break the peroxide addiction lol.

I took a before shot, but since my sister (who gets deposit only color, so her hair is waist length, while mine is BSL :( ) hid the camera, I had to use a crappy cellphone.

Anyway, I'll see you in an hour and a half!

ktani
November 21st, 2010, 11:42 AM
I hate posting in a thread I haven't entirely read... but good night! there's a lot of stuff in here.

Anyway, I tried a honey, evoo, water, and a dash of cinnamon the other day, but no effect whatsoever. I misunderstood the instructions, and let it ... I guess "prime" the peroxide an hour before putting it on. My ratios were off... and I don't know how good my honey is.

BUT! I'm sitting here with a new mixture (now with more cinnamon!) based on a couple different recipes from the first 40 pages... But I still don't have any proper measurements lol.

Organix teatree mint conditioner (I finished off my bottle)
chamomile tea (stash... didn't say if it was Roman or not... they buy from Egypt..?)
Pure and Simple brand honey (the only one I could find at the store)
McCormick ground cinnamon (1/2 teaspoon)
and generic evoo

I like how the conditioner gives it a more syrupy texture instead of really watery. Still drippy, but not running down my face like the other day. I didn't use all of my recipe since I'm just doing my roots... Trying to break the peroxide addiction lol.

I took a before shot, but since my sister (who gets deposit only color, so her hair is waist length, while mine is BSL :( ) hid the camera, I had to use a crappy cellphone.

Anyway, I'll see you in an hour and a half!

Welcome to LHC!

All of the current ratios and instructions are in the first post of this thread. It was set up so that no one had to read the first 40 pages, which are the first part of the journey, that led to the first post of this thread, that reflects the end of the journey.

Conditioner is no longer recommended for honey lightening. There are too many variables regarding the ingredients and pH. The recommended amount of cinnamon is up to 2 tablespoons, depending on the recipe amount. Chamomile tea is also no longer recommended for a recipe. It can stain hair a golden colour and its pH is also not helpful to get the optimal recipe pH of 6, which is what a honey needs to produce its optimal peroxide level.

I hope the following helps, all from the first post of this thread.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=1661&postcount=1
"November 2010 Update: Current details on honey lightening, a safe, alternative method to conventional peroxide/bleach, that can lighten any hair colour; virgin, colour-treated, hennaed and henndigoed hair. This is a very long thread. You can simply read this post to be up to date."

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=134083&postcount=1096
"Another way to use the new dilution is to just use tablespoons, 1 tablespoon of honey to 6 tablespoons distilled water, 2 to 12 etc. It works out to be the same as calculating by weight.
8. Conditioner is no longer recommended to be included in honey lightening recipes. Conditioner is too acidic for most honeys and the spices, (it can reduce the optimal pH needed for a honey to produce peroxide), can contain ingredients that interfere with honey lightening, and its water content (most conditioners are 70-90% water), if used as part of the new dilution, can effectively reduce the amount of water needed."

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=295895&postcount=2370
"Each spice has a higher peroxide value than either oil. Both spices can be sensitizers. Patch test before using. Suggested recipe amounts for the spices are 1 - 2 tablespoons in total, per treatment."

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=237414&postcount=1964
"A treatment can be left to sit for 1 hour in advance of application, to produce peroxide (recommended), or used right away if you are in a hurry and it will produce peroxide while on the hair."

If after reading this you still have questions, I will be happy to reply to them in more detail.

VanderPluym
November 21st, 2010, 01:22 PM
Oh! I got confused with all the information in there. Now I know better and if today's experiment doesn't do anything (still waiting on it to dry), I'll know what I did wrong. Regardless, my hair smells absolutely DELICIOUS!

ktani
November 21st, 2010, 01:55 PM
Oh! I got confused with all the information in there. Now I know better and if today's experiment doesn't do anything (still waiting on it to dry), I'll know what I did wrong. Regardless, my hair smells absolutely DELICIOUS!

Conditioner did work for many. The desired results just took much longer to achieve.

Good luck and if you still have questions, just post. I will reply.

Finchen
November 21st, 2010, 02:10 PM
ktani, I just want to say that you are lovely, with all the help and support you are giving. :)

I will try the following recipe next week:

2 tablespoons of honey + 12 tablespoons of distilled water + 1 tablespoon of cinnamon.

Will make before and after pics. :)

ktani
November 21st, 2010, 02:16 PM
ktani, I just want to say that you are lovely, with all the help and support you are giving. :)

2 tablespoons of honey + 12 tablespoons of distilled water + 1 tablespoon of cinnamon.

Thank you!

Good luck with your recipe - it sounds perfect! Please patch test the cinnamon though. It is best to add the cinnamon into a recipe after the honey - it mixes better that way.

Finchen
November 25th, 2010, 06:26 PM

Well today I have mixed 2 tablespoons of honey + 12 tablespoons of distilled water + 1 tablespoon of cinnamon and let it sit for around 1 hour. The mixture got quite dark due to the cinnamon. Then I took a coffee filter and filtered the mixture to get rid of the cinnamon crumbs. I then applied the mixture to my dry hair and noticed afterwards that I should have wet my hair before. :silly:

I let it sit for 1.5 hours and washed it out with a mix of an egg yolk, a teaspoon of honey, a teaspoon of ACV, a tablespoon of methi powder and water.

My hair seems to be a little bit lighter but has also some golden reflexes now. I will need to make a picture tomorrow in the light.

Next time I will wet my hair before I apply the mixture.

Btw. it was a good idea to filter the mixture as I had no problems to wash it out. :)

ktani
November 25th, 2010, 08:06 PM
Well today I have mixed 2 tablespoons of honey + 12 tablespoons of distilled water + 1 tablespoon of cinnamon and let it sit for around 1 hour. The mixture got quite dark due to the cinnamon. Then I took a coffee filter and filtered the mixture to get rid of the cinnamon crumbs. I then applied the mixture to my dry hair and noticed afterwards that I should have wet my hair before. :silly:

I let it sit for 1.5 hours and washed it out with a mix of an egg yolk, a teaspoon of honey, a teaspoon of ACV, a tablespoon of methi powder and water.

My hair seems to be a little bit lighter but has also some golden reflexes now. I will need to make a picture tomorrow in the light.

Next time I will wet my hair before I apply the mixture.

Btw. it was a good idea to filter the mixture as I had no problems to wash it out. :)

Thank you so much for the update!

I believe that you are the first to actually try filtering or perhaps not. I stopped recording posts for this thread a while back. No matter. It is the result that counts. Glad to hear that it worked well! I look forward to your pictures!

How does your hair feel?

Finchen
November 25th, 2010, 08:26 PM
Hi ktani, thanks for your reply.
My hair feels good and it has volume, but the ends are slightly dry. However this could be due to the methi, which I used the first time, I dont know.
Next time I will apply the honey-cinnamon-water mixture and afterwards wash my hair with eggs only (without the methi).
I will post pictures tomorrow. Good night. :sleep:

ktani
November 25th, 2010, 08:34 PM
Hi ktani, thanks for your reply.
My hair feels good and it has volume, but the ends are slightly dry. However this could be due to the methi, which I used the first time, I dont know.
Next time I will apply the honey-cinnamon-water mixture and afterwards wash my hair with eggs only (without the methi).
I will post pictures tomorrow. Good night. :sleep:

You are most welcome!

The dryness may also be honey residue. Shampoo removes that best, based on reports.

I am glad to hear that your hair feels great otherwise!

Finchen
November 26th, 2010, 11:21 AM
Ok, here are two pictures from today, one has been taken in the shade and the other one in the sun. Unfortunately I have only one old "before picture" (nearly 2 years old) where my hair looks even slightly lighter.

Pictures from today:

http://img51.imageshack.us/img51/360/hairshade.jpg (http://img51.imageshack.us/i/hairshade.jpg/)

http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/9175/hairsun.jpg (http://img138.imageshack.us/i/hairsun.jpg/)

Picture taken 2 years ago:

http://666kb.com/i/b66gckgdr0rb8nlo1.jpg

I will do another honey-water-cinnamon mixture next week and post pictures then.

ktani
November 26th, 2010, 11:55 AM
Ok, here are two pictures from today, one has been taken in the shade and the other one in the sun. Unfortunately I have only one old "before picture" (nearly 2 years old) where my hair looks even slightly lighter.

Pictures from today:

http://img51.imageshack.us/img51/360/hairshade.jpg (http://img51.imageshack.us/i/hairshade.jpg/)

http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/9175/hairsun.jpg (http://img138.imageshack.us/i/hairsun.jpg/)

Picture taken 2 years ago:

http://666kb.com/i/b66gckgdr0rb8nlo1.jpg

I will do another honey-water-cinnamon mixture next week and post pictures then.

Your hair looks gorgeous! Thank you for taking the time and effort to post pictures.

Ask those around you if they notice a difference in colour. Or has anyone said anything? That is a good way to tell if you are not quite sure of how much difference there is now.

It is not always easy to tell from pictures.

Finchen
November 26th, 2010, 03:40 PM
Thanks for the compliment. :flowers:
Nobody noticed a difference, but I will continue to use the honey-cinnamon mixture and make pictures, maybe we will see a difference after a few treatments. :)

ktani
November 26th, 2010, 04:23 PM
Thanks for the compliment. :flowers:
Nobody noticed a difference, but I will continue to use the honey-cinnamon mixture and make pictures, maybe we will see a difference after a few treatments. :)

You are most welcome!

You have great looking hair. It looks very healthy and shiny.

Good luck!

Finchen
November 26th, 2010, 04:41 PM
Thanks again. :)
Unfortunately I shed like crazy since some years and lost already 50% of my hairs, but I hope it will get better when I start to use Indian herbs like "Eclipta Alba" next week. :pray:

ktani
November 26th, 2010, 04:53 PM
Thanks again. :)
Unfortunately I shed like crazy since some years and lost already 50% of my hairs, but I hope it will get better when I start to use Indian herbs like "Eclipta Alba" next week. :pray:

Your hair looks thick to me. Have you seen a doctor? That is the place to start.

Finchen
November 26th, 2010, 05:09 PM
Yes I did. I thought I had PCOS since I have many of the symptoms, but my gyn said I do not have any cysts and so he believes that I do not have PCOS. I will need to do another blood test next month.

Sorry for the off-topic. :o

ktani
November 26th, 2010, 06:44 PM
Yes I did. I thought I had PCOS since I have many of the symptoms, but my gyn said I do not have any cysts and so he believes that I do not have PCOS. I will need to do another blood test next month.

Sorry for the off-topic. :o

No worries there. No need to apologize at all. I hope you sort this out quickly. Make sure you get the blood test and please update when you get the results if you like, as well as update on your hair.

Finchen
November 27th, 2010, 06:54 AM
No worries there. No need to apologize at all. I hope you sort this out quickly. Make sure you get the blood test and please update when you get the results if you like, as well as update on your hair.

Will do for sure. Have a nice weekend. :)

ktani
November 27th, 2010, 07:25 AM
Will do for sure. Have a nice weekend. :)

And you as well!

obssesif
December 1st, 2010, 07:07 AM
I have a question.. I've used a tablespoon of honey in my weekly deep conditioning (for moisturizing porpoises, and it was great) and it did lighten my hair... and i don't want that... I didn't think that such small amount would make a difference, but it did. I've been doing this for maybe 2 month..

So, my question: Is there any way to "undo" the lightening effects of honey?

ktani
December 1st, 2010, 07:43 AM
I have a question.. I've used a tablespoon of honey in my weekly deep conditioning (for moisturizing porpoises, and it was great) and it did lighten my hair... and i don't want that... I didn't think that such small amount would make a difference, but it did. I've been doing this for maybe 2 month..

So, my question: Is there any way to "undo" the lightening effects of honey?

Welcome too LHC!

Sorry, but the effects are permanent. You can darken your hair with several options, including conventional dye. Depending on your hair colour, herbal options can be limited.

It is unfortunate that those who have not gotten results with honey lightening keep saying that it is not possible to lighten hair with it, in spite of the many, many reports to the contrary. It does not help people like you who did not want this to happen.

To prevent something like this in the future and still get honey conditioning, microwave the honey separately for 30 seconds to under 1 minute, before letting it cool off to mix with conditioner.

Zenity
December 1st, 2010, 08:28 AM
Ktani,

I've been meaning to do this forever but for some reason I always forgot.

I've translated the honey recipe in spanish and started an spanish thread about it a while ago and here you can see some pics of the users:

http://foro.mundorecetas.com/showthread.php?117745-Aclarar-el-pelo-con-miel/page18

including myself:

http://foro.mundorecetas.com/showthread.php?117745-Aclarar-el-pelo-con-miel/page17

Recently the forum has been moved and some pics are gone now, but there is something at least.

The first link is from a girl with natural medium brown hair.

Second link is myself with non permanent dye on roots only (this is all I do), but obviously as the hair grows whatever is there keeps being there. First pic before honey, rest of pics after honey, the purple top pic is after boiling cinnamon and using that with honey, it dyed my hair darker.

Next 4 pics are after a whole winter not using the honey but dying my hair with non permanent color.

The next 4 pics show close ups after using the honey only from mediums to ends again.

ktani
December 1st, 2010, 08:48 AM
Ktani,

I've been meaning to do this forever but for some reason I always forgot.

I've translated the honey recipe in spanish and started an spanish thread about it a while ago and here you can see some pics of the users:

http://foro.mundorecetas.com/showthread.php?117745-Aclarar-el-pelo-con-miel/page18

including myself:

http://foro.mundorecetas.com/showthread.php?117745-Aclarar-el-pelo-con-miel/page17

Recently the forum has been moved and some pics are gone now, but there is something at least.

The first link is from a girl with natural medium brown hair.

Second link is myself with non permanent dye on roots only (this is all I do), but obviously as the hair grows whatever is there keeps being there. First pic before honey, rest of pics after honey, the purple top pic is after boiling cinnamon and using that with honey, it dyed my hair darker.

Next 4 pics are after a whole winter not using the honey but dying my hair with non permanent color.

The next 4 pics show close ups after using the honey only from mediums to ends again.

Thank you for this. The results in some picturs are great!

Boiling cinnamon would destroy the peroxide value of it. Cinnamon has not been reported to darken hair used in a honey lightening recipe without heat, which is not recommended.

I hope that you linked to this thread when you did this. I did a lot of reseach that I analyzed to get the recipe recommendations people here have tried successfuly after other recipes failed (the new dilution recipes), based on that research and analysis. If you have not please do so. That would only be honest and fair and it falls under copyright.

People here on the boards used honey and conditioner before the new dilution recipes, reporting lightened hair colour, long before the Honey threads. The results were often inconsistant. I have no claim on that or those recipes. The new dilution recipes are my ideas and so is the dilution, based on research I did with analysis. I have seen no credit given for them online and I did successfuly challenge another website over that and honey lightening "boosters". I always give credit whenever possible, and most of the time it is here on the boards, to others and in my blog, for original ideas, that I do not claim as my own.

Zenity
December 1st, 2010, 09:21 AM
Ktani,

Yes I did... Indeed the translated recipe in spanish is all over the net form people who just copied but did not link this thread or the spanish one. You are mentioned as well.

When realizing this, a while ago, I put a warning on page 1 with the links here. Just telling people the recipe keeps being updated and if they do not know the original source they will miss optimal results from updates.

Thank you for this. The results in some picturs are great!

Boiling cinnamon would destroy the peroxide value of it. Cinnamon has not been reported to darken hair used in a honey lightening recipe without heat, which is not recommended.

I hope that you linked to this thread when you did this. I did a lot of reseach that I analyzed to get the recipe recommendations people here have tried successfuly after other recipes failed (the new dilution recipes), based on that research and analysis. If you have not please do so. That would only be honest and fair and it falls under copyright.

People here on the boards used honey and conditioner before the new dilution recipes, reporting lightened hair colour, long before the Honey threads. The results were often inconsistant. I have no claim on that or those recipes. The new dilution recipes are my ideas and so is the dilution, based on research I did with analysis. I have seen no credit given for them online and I did challenge another website over that and honey lightening "boosters". I always when I can give credit here on the boards to others and in my blog, for original ideas, that I do not claim as my own.

Zenity
December 1st, 2010, 09:23 AM
Nayver used to post there too and we were both telling people about TLH forums and this thread.

ktani
December 1st, 2010, 09:27 AM
Ktani,

Yes I did... Indeed the translated recipe in spanish is all over the net form people who just copied but did not link this thread or the spanish one. You are mentioned as well.

When realizing this, a while ago, I put a warning on page 1 with the links here. Just telling people the recipe keeps being updated and if they do not know the original source they will miss optimal results from updates.

Thank you! I very much appreciate that as I cannot read, speak or write Spanish. I only wish others were as considerate and honest as you are! I do not make any money from the work I do here by selling anything connected to or from it. Credit is just.

Nayver's results are in a Pictures Post in the first post of this thread. She is not forgotten. My blog links to threads here too, so the people here who field test ideas, their own and mine, get credit too. I post their posts, through links in reports, or posts I create.

Zenity
December 1st, 2010, 10:09 AM
I know what you mean...

I participate in many forums and I always try to put the link to the source of whatever findings I am posting. Otherwise I feel like I am keeping something that doesn't belong to me to myself and keeping others to take it from where I leave it and do their own research too.

When I first posted the recipe TLHC forum was linked for people who wanted to see results or to learn directly from this forum.

As many of then have a language barrier they have just posted, questioned and get going there.

When I realized the recipe was being copied and distributed in a doc, which was exactly after the recipe update (2 tbs to 6tbs) I started tracking those and warning them and put the Warning at the first page too.

I have nothing against diffusion of information in internet but I do not think is cool to mislead people out there.

Big egos need that, smart ones don't.

Sorry for the OT :p

ktani
December 1st, 2010, 10:43 AM
I know what you mean...

I participate in many forums and I always try to put the link to the source of whatever findings I am posting. Otherwise I feel like I am keeping something that doesn't belong to me to myself and keeping others to take it from where I leave it and do their own research too.

When I first posted the recipe TLHC forum was linked for people who wanted to see results or to learn directly from this forum.

As many of then have a language barrier they have just posted, questioned and get going there.

When I realized the recipe was being copied and distributed in a doc, which was exactly after the recipe update (2 tbs to 6tbs) I started tracking those and warning them and put the Warning at the first page too.

I have nothing against diffusion of information in internet but I do not think is cool to mislead people out there.

Big egos need that, smart ones don't.

Sorry for the OT :p

Very well said! The dilution is actually 1 tablespoon honey to 6 water, distilled is preferable, 2 to 12, etc.

I very much appreciate your efforts!

obssesif
December 1st, 2010, 01:05 PM
Welcome too LHC!

Sorry, but the effects are permanent. You can darken your hair with several options, including conventional dye. Depending on your hair colour, herbal options can be limited.

It is unfortunate that those who have not gotten results with honey lightening keep saying that it is not possible to lighten hair with it, in spite of the many, many reports to the contrary. It does not help people like you who did not want this to happen.

To prevent something like this in the future and still get honey conditioning, microwave the honey separately for 30 seconds to under 1 minute, before letting it cool off to mix with conditioner.

Thank you, I was expecting something like this...:rolleyes:
Difference in my hair color (i was mixing honey with conditioner and oil) is 2 or 3 shades and red undertones became quite obvious..
Maybe year ago, I was trying black tea rinses with poor coloring results... Hair was shinier but maybe little more dry.
I will try it again now to see what will happen? I have nothing to lose:cool:

ktani
December 1st, 2010, 01:23 PM
Difference in my hair color (i was mixing honey with conditioner and oil) is 2 or 3 shades and red undertones became quite obvious..
Maybe year ago, I was trying black tea rinses with poor coloring results... Hair was shinier but maybe little more dry.

That is quite a difference! Under other circumstances I would be thrilled for you had you wanted this. It sounds as if you have a great honey for honey lightening.

Can you please name the brand and type for others who do want to lighten their hair colour with it?

Zenity
December 1st, 2010, 02:54 PM

Wow! maybe there is a new recipe to lighten hair here.....:happydance:

Could you, please, give us the details of your mix?

-Brand of conditioner and honey

-What type of oil did you use

-Percentage of ingredients and anything to consider when mixing them.

-How much time did you leave on the mask

-How often do you apply it to your hair. (Weekly?)

-Anything else you think can be considered would be a great help for others too.

Thanks in advance! :flowers:

ktani
December 1st, 2010, 03:48 PM
Wow! maybe there is a new recipe to lighten hair here.....:happydance:

Could you, please, give us the details of your mix?

-Brand of conditioner and honey

-What type of oil did you use

-Percentage of ingredients and anything to consider when mixing them.

-How much time did you leave on the mask

-How often do you apply it to your hair. (Weekly?)

-Anything else you think can be considered would be a great help for others too.

Thanks in advance! :flowers:

This is not new. It can and has been reported to happen over time previously. The problem is conditioners can have ingredients and a pH that interfere with the process. The new dilution recipes with the same honey can work in hours (1 hour at a time) to achieve what this did over 2 months

obssesif
December 1st, 2010, 03:48 PM
That is quite a difference! Under other circumstances I would be thrilled for you had you wanted this. It sounds as if you have a great honey for honey lightening.

Can you please name the brand and type for others who do want to lighten their hair colour with it?

It is natural honey that my aunt produce.. Maybe there is a difference between synthetic and real bee honey

ktani
December 1st, 2010, 03:52 PM
It is natural honey that my aunt produce.. Maybe there is a difference between synthetic and real bee honey

Synthectic honey is useless. With real honey it is about the flower or plant source. Raw and pasteurized honeys have produced equal results.

What kind of honey is it? Clover? wildflower? etc.

obssesif
December 1st, 2010, 04:00 PM
-Brand of conditioner
Balea Coconut something and Garnier Triple Nutrition and maybe something else (everything cone free)
What type of oil did you use
Mostly castor oil and some olive oil
Percentage of ingredients and anything to consider when mixing them
that's hard to say.. around 1 spoon of honey, 4-5 conditioner and oil(measured in drops)
How much time did you leave on the mask
30-40 min
How often do you apply it to your hair. (Weekly?)
yeah, after a shampoo
Anything else
keep it in a shower cap and towel... and yes, when I added yogurt to the mix and when it dried it looked lighter! That freaked me out, and I stopped adding yogurt. Have you tried honey and yogurt??

I hope I helped ;)

obssesif
December 1st, 2010, 04:02 PM
Synthectic honey is useless. With real honey it is about the flower or plant source. Raw and pasteurized honeys have produced equal results.

What kind of honey is it? Clover? wildflower? etc.

I think it was wildflower, but I might be wrong

ktani
December 1st, 2010, 04:03 PM
-Brand of conditioner
Balea Coconut something and Garnier Triple Nutrition and maybe something else (everything cone free)
that's hard to say.. around 1 spoon of honey, 4-5 conditioner and oil(measured in drops)
30-40 min
yeah, after a shampoo
Anything else
keep it in a shower cap and towel... and yes, when I added yogurt to the mix and when it dried it looked lighter! That freaked me out, and I stopped adding yogurt. Have you tried honey and yogurt??

I hope I helped ;)

Yogurt has a peroxide value too and was used in older recipes. This also happened over a 2 month period, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=1363062&postcount=4564. Castor oil has a lower peroxide value than coconut or extra virgin olive oils and can darken hair somewhat. It has been reported to do so. So, your aunt's honey must be amazing! The peroxide value of olive and coconut oils are approximately the same. The peroxide value of extra virgin olive oil can if it is pure, be double that of both but still less than that of most honeys.

Zenity
December 1st, 2010, 05:48 PM
-Brand of conditioner
30-40 min
yeah, after a shampoo
Anything else

I hope I helped ;)

Obssesif

Thank youuuu soooo much! That is awesome! The yogurt is something I will try for sure.

How much yogurt should I add to my mix?

What is /was your hair color? Redness usually shows when brown gets lighter. I know 'cause that's my case...

Ktani

I know the actual dilution works, but I use to do honey-conditioner masks- sometimes overnight- as well and I thought finding a mask that works for lightening purposes would be great as it is easier to apply than the actual dilution. Not as messy and not so hard to keep on your hair.

I am a lucky one that has wild raw honey too, and I loveeee it, internally and externally.:cheer:

ktani
December 1st, 2010, 06:01 PM
Obssesif

Thank youuuu soooo much! That is awesome! The yogurt is something I will try for sure.

How much yogurt should I add to my mix?

What is /was your hair color? Redness usually shows when brown gets lighter. I know 'cause that's my case...

Ktani

I know the actual dilution works, but I use to do honey-conditioner masks- sometimes overnight- as well and I thought finding a mask that works for lightening purposes would be great as it is easier to apply than the actual dilution. Not as messy and not so hard to keep on your hair.

I am a lucky one that has wild raw honey too, and I loveeee it, internally and externally.:cheer:

If you are ok with the extra time this method takes great!

Zenity
December 2nd, 2010, 06:41 AM
Extra time in terms of getting results or in terms of preparation and application?

In my case I can only see benefits as I am used to do a honey conditioner mask as part of my routine. Doesn't take me more than 5 mins to prepare, 10 to apply and the rest of whatever time I want to have it in my hair. If obsessif system works I am getting 2 things done at the same time: a mask and a honey lightening. I don't get the extra time point as I would be saving time indeed... ???

ktani
December 2nd, 2010, 06:59 AM
Extra time in terms of getting results or in terms of preparation and application?

In my case I can only see benefits as I am used to do a honey conditioner mask as part of my routine. Doesn't take me more than 5 mins to prepare, 10 to apply and the rest of whatever time I want to have it in my hair. If obsessif system works I am getting 2 things done at the same time: a mask and a honey lightening. I don't get the extra time point as I would be saving time indeed... ???

Extra time as in seeing results. With the conditioner recipes the results were more gradual. Since a honey mask is part of your routine, this should work out well for you, in terms of it being convenient and easier for you to use.

obssesif
December 2nd, 2010, 10:30 AM
Ktani so all the ingredients I used seem to have peroxide value.... lol
and the thing you were saying, i have got some results over 2/3 month period and they are not so dramatic but still are visible... because, I was using this mask just as moisturizing treatment...

Zenity I've used regular non fat yogurt.. I don't think there is a point to give you the name of brand...
My hair was very dark brown, almost black... and now is brown-ish, especially on the ends, were i always concentrate the mask... Even my boyfriend noticed the difference , and that's something :)

Hope you will benefit from my mistakes :D

ktani
December 2nd, 2010, 11:42 AM
Ktani so all the ingredients I used seem to have peroxide value.... lol
and the thing you were saying, i have got some results over 2/3 month period and they are not so dramatic but still are visible... because, I was using this mask just as moisturizing treatment...

Your results are dramatic and great! They just took longer than they may have taken with a different recipe with your honey.

obssesif
December 2nd, 2010, 02:36 PM
well, I gave my toll to "science"!
tomorrow i'm buying some indigohenna to go back to black;)

ktani
December 2nd, 2010, 02:57 PM
well, I gave my toll to "science"!
tomorrow i'm buying some indigohenna to go back to black;)

And you did it well too. Thank you for posting your results, recipe and method. Good luck!

Finchen
December 5th, 2010, 04:45 PM
Hi ktani and others,

I did another honey-cinnamon treatment but my hair is not lighter I even think it might be a bit darker now compared to the pics I posted on page 456 (http://www.longhaircommunity.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1356118&postcount=4554).

I am not sure if I will continue to do the honey treatments, maybe I will only use honey without the cinnamon because like some others I am getting a red neck from it and if there is no lightening at all it is not worth it.

ktani
December 5th, 2010, 05:40 PM
Hi ktani and others,

I did another honey-cinnamon treatment but my hair is not lighter I even think it might be a bit darker now compared to the pics I posted on page 456 (http://www.longhaircommunity.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1356118&postcount=4554).

I am not sure if I will continue to do the honey treatments, maybe I will only use honey without the cinnamon because like some others I am getting a red neck from it and if there is no lightening at all it is not worth it.

Ohhhh. Sorry to hear about your neck!

A honey lightening recipe, depending on what you used has not been reported to darken hair.

What have you been using on your hair, in between the time of the last one and now?

What did you use immediately following the treatment?

Products that can darken hair are apple cider vinegar rinses (can add a red tone to hair), chamomile can add a gold tone, cassia can add red/gold tones, various coloured oils, etc.

Cinnamon has not been reported to darken hair used unboiled in a honey lightening recipe.

Finchen
December 5th, 2010, 05:55 PM
Hi ktani, I have used a apple cider vinegar rinse. I didnt know it can add a red tone to the hair. :eek:

hypersensitive
December 5th, 2010, 08:29 PM
i have virgin black hair and the links on the first page only gives pics of dyed black hair. obviously using honey won't make my hair blonde, but can anyone give me an idea to what extent will it lighten my hair?

ktani
December 5th, 2010, 09:48 PM
i have virgin black hair and the links on the first page only gives pics of dyed black hair. obviously using honey won't make my hair blonde, but can anyone give me an idea to what extent will it lighten my hair?

Welcome to LHC!

Before Nayver dyed her hair (it is naturally black), she honey lightened and it got a red tone to it she was not particularly fond of, the 2nd time. It depends on what your natural undertones are.

One of her old pictures, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=105685&postcount=534

Hair typically lightens with peroxide or the sun from black to brown to red to gold to blonde. Not all natually black hair has red in it.

This may help to explain that better, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=291820&postcount=2342.

Henrietta
December 6th, 2010, 11:46 AM
When it comes to lightening with honey- does adding a lemon helps or does it reduce the lightening power?
I didn't know where else I could find the answer so I ask here;)

ktani
December 6th, 2010, 12:04 PM
When it comes to lightening with honey- does adding a lemon helps or does it reduce the lightening power?
I didn't know where else I could find the answer so I ask here;)

The peroxide in honey will oxidize the Vitamin C in the lemon juice. The process of that depletes the peroxide level. So it is number 2.

little_cherry
December 6th, 2010, 05:59 PM
I'm thinking of trying one of the lightening recipes for the top half of my hair instead of using indigo to dye the 'underneath' of my hair. I will be oiling with castor, braiding the underneath and wrapping each braid in kitchen wrap as close to the roots as possible to protect it from the lightening mixture.

Since I've been hennaing with BAQ for 2 years, which mixture would work best with me? I was leaning towards the tomato, cinnamon and olive oil, or the coconut milk....I'm not too sure.

ktani
December 6th, 2010, 06:29 PM
I'm thinking of trying one of the lightening recipes for the top half of my hair instead of using indigo to dye the 'underneath' of my hair. I will be oiling with castor, braiding the underneath and wrapping each braid in kitchen wrap as close to the roots as possible to protect it from the lightening mixture.

Since I've been hennaing with BAQ for 2 years, which mixture would work best with me? I was leaning towards the tomato, cinnamon and olive oil, or the coconut milk....I'm not too sure.

None of the above. See the first post for pictures and recipes. 1 tablespoon honey to 6 distilled water - 2 to 12 etc. Henna recipes - include cinnamon or cardamom All the links are in the first post.

Read through some of that first - I will answer questions after that to help if you like.

hypersensitive
December 6th, 2010, 07:00 PM
Welcome to LHC!

Thank you, ktani!

Before Nayver dyed her hair (it is naturally black), she honey lightened and it got a red tone to it she was not particularly fond of, the 2nd time. It depends on what your natural undertones are.

One of her old pictures, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=105685&postcount=534

Hair typically lightens with peroxide or the sun from black to brown to red to gold to blonde. Not all natually black hair has red in it.

This may help to explain that better, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=291820&postcount=2342.

hmmm I wonder what my natural tones are. Is there a way to (objectively) find out?

ktani
December 6th, 2010, 07:05 PM
Thank you, ktani!

hmmm I wonder what my natural tones are. Is there a way to (objectively) find out?

You are most welcome!

What colour has it turned from sunlight?

hypersensitive
December 6th, 2010, 07:09 PM
You are most welcome!

What colour has it turned from sunlight?

It's turned sort of a light brown on my ends.

ktani
December 6th, 2010, 07:10 PM
It's turned sort of a light brown on my ends.

Reddish would be next if the tone was there. It may not be there

See pictures for Jan in ID and Halcyon Days. These shades of virgin brown hair showed no red with honey lightening.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=654111&postcount=3918

ktani
December 7th, 2010, 08:18 AM
After researching the issue of honey residue I have concluded that it is a honey filtering of beeswax particles issue.

It makes sense. There are different honey filtering methods used to remove impurities from fresh honey. They involve different filter "sizes" etc. from fine to super fine mesh and more.

After reading the descriptions of both honey results on hair and the descriptions of the result beeswax can have on hair "the hair feels hard and dry", I have no doubt that this is the problem.

Honey residue is best removed by shampoo, based on reports and most waxy coatings on hair are best removed with that too (or completely dissolved baking soda followed with a well diluted vinegar rinse).

The result of removing honey residue is almost always described as "soft glossy hair", that would not be the case if honey had dried out the hair because of its humectant properties.

auburn
December 7th, 2010, 10:47 AM
I've got honey (natural, untreated, organic honey) and distiled water in my hair right now. :) I just put it on.

what should I rinse it with? eggs or something?

Mirsha
December 7th, 2010, 11:03 AM
I never updated!

Quoting myself feels silly.

I did not keep up with treatments after this message because I dislike being cold in winter (lame excuse I know :p ) but sitting around with wet hair for an hour is not a hobby of mine.

I did do a hendigo gloss (http://www.detuinen.nl/henne-color-color-poeder-chatain.html) about a week after I posted that message, my hair according to others is now 'rusty' instead of 'party orange' (actual quotes!) and my roots are blending in nicely. Which is what I was going for, roots blending. The demarcation line is less severe with this colour, if still noticable.

What I loved about honey lightening is the way it makes my hair feel afterwards and I'm pretty sure when I get rid of my henna I'll go back to it to produce some highlights :o

ktani
December 7th, 2010, 11:45 AM
I've got honey (natural, untreated, organic honey) and distiled water in my hair right now. :) I just put it on.

what should I rinse it with? eggs or something?

You can rinse it out with water, or wash out out with shampoo , eggs or just conditioner.

Quoting myself feels silly.

I did not keep up with treatments after this message because I dislike being cold in winter (lame excuse I know :p ) but sitting around with wet hair for an hour is not a hobby of mine.

I did do a hendigo gloss (http://www.detuinen.nl/henne-color-color-poeder-chatain.html) about a week after I posted that message, my hair according to others is now 'rusty' instead of 'party orange' (actual quotes!) and my roots are blending in nicely. Which is what I was going for, roots blending. The demarcation line is less severe with this colour, if still noticable.

What I loved about honey lightening is the way it makes my hair feel afterwards and I'm pretty sure when I get rid of my henna I'll go back to it to produce some highlights :o

Great news!

I am pleased for you that you are happy with your colour results and the feel of your hair.

auburn
December 7th, 2010, 04:17 PM
I rinsed it with water, but it felt stiff, so I used conditioner too. It dried now, but it's kinda waxy, looks like it's oily. I'll have to shampoo tomorrow, I'm too lazy right now.

The colour did brighten up a bit. I like the results, though it's not a big change. I guess it will be really obvious after more honey treatments.

I like a lot the fact that it has a very homogeneous, it "mixes" the colours I have on my hair and they all seen more alike.

I have mi natural colour, the rest is pale auburn mosltly, and some remaining black highlights on few ends. My ideea is returning to my natural colour, so... honey will help improve things a bit till the hair will be long enough so I can CUT the dyed part.

great tip...honey... I'd never thought it would really work, I'm very thrilled it does.

ktani
December 7th, 2010, 04:51 PM
I rinsed it with water, but it felt stiff, so I used conditioner too. It dried now, but it's kinda waxy, looks like it's oily. I'll have to shampoo tomorrow, I'm too lazy right now.

The colour did brighten up a bit. I like the results, though it's not a big change. I guess it will be really obvious after more honey treatments.

I like a lot the fact that it has a very homogeneous, it "mixes" the colours I have on my hair and they all seen more alike.

I have mi natural colour, the rest is pale auburn mosltly, and some remaining black highlights on few ends. My ideea is returning to my natural colour, so... honey will help improve things a bit till the hair will be long enough so I can CUT the dyed part.

great tip...honey... I'd never thought it would really work, I'm very thrilled it does.

I am pleased that you are pleased with the colour results. Shampooing should resolve the stiffness of your hair. Honey residue is usually easily resolved with no issues. Try a well diluted vinegar rinse to follow the shampoo, before you use conditioner. It can help as well.

Finchen
December 9th, 2010, 10:46 AM
I have just mixed 2 table spoons of honey + 12 table spoons of destilled water + 1 tea spoon of extra virgin coconut oil (I love the smell)! :inlove:
I will wait now an hour or so and then put it on my hairs.
Will update you tomorrow. :)

ktani
December 9th, 2010, 10:54 AM
I have just mixed 2 table spoons of honey + 12 table spoons of destilled water + 1 tea spoon of extra virgin coconut oil (I love the smell)! :inlove:
I will wait now an hour or so and then put it on my hairs.
Will update you tomorrow. :)

If you have patch tested it, you can also add ground cardamom (1 or 2 tablespoons). It is reported to be less problematic in rinsing out of the hair than ground cinnamon and with sensitivities.

I look forward to your report!

Finchen
December 9th, 2010, 12:21 PM
If you have patch tested it, you can also add ground cardamom (1 or 2 tablespoons). It is reported to be less problematic in rinsing out of the hair than ground cinnamon and with sensitivities.

I look forward to your report!

Hi ktani, no cardamom for me, at least not today.
I want to see how my hair reacts to the EVCO (which I am trying the first time today) in combination with the new honey (that I bought yesterday).

I will maybe try cardamom the next time, though I dont know if it is available here. :)

ktani
December 9th, 2010, 01:04 PM
Hi ktani, no cardamom for me, at least not today.
I want to see how my hair reacts to the EVCO (which I am trying the first time today) in combination with the new honey (that I bought yesterday).

I will maybe try cardamom the next time, though I dont know if it is available here. :)

Cool! I did see your Heenara Hair Oil posts. Please realize that may alter your hair colour somewhat, if you are going to or have been using it, and that you have to account for it, in terms of honey lightening results.

Finchen
December 9th, 2010, 01:12 PM
Cool! I did see your Heenara Hair Oil posts. Please realize that may alter your hair colour somewhat, if you are going to or have been using it, and that you have to account for it, in terms of honey lightening results.

I have used the Heenara Oil only on my scalp and only so little that it did not "touch" my hair. So it shouldnt dye my hair. :)

Still sitting in front of the computer with the honey and EVCO in my hair. :cool:

ktani
December 9th, 2010, 01:22 PM
I have used the Heenara Oil only on my scalp and only so little that it did not "touch" my hair. So it shouldnt dye my hair. :)

Still sitting in front of the computer with the honey and EVCO in my hair. :cool:

Ok! Good luck!

auburn
December 9th, 2010, 01:41 PM
can't believe ho glossy and shiny and thicker my hair looks.

this honey treatment is the biggest discovery I evr made about hair.

I'm gonna keep on doing it, won't ever return to chemical stuff to colour my hair.

And the shade of blonde looks amazing, so warm...

I'm really thrilled. I did it again today, and I shampooed after this time. It's fabulous!!! :happydance::joy:

I feel like jumping around like a bunny. Yaaayyy!

jeanniet
December 9th, 2010, 01:51 PM
How long does honey have to be heated to mitigate the lightening effects? Will 20-30 seconds in a microwave do it? I love the conditioning effect, but don't want my hair lighter!

ktani
December 9th, 2010, 02:04 PM
How long does honey have to be heated to mitigate the lightening effects? Will 20-30 seconds in a microwave do it? I love the conditioning effect, but don't want my hair lighter!

I always recommend 30 seconds to under 1 minute in the microwave.

Finchen
December 9th, 2010, 03:02 PM

I'm gonna keep on doing it, won't ever return to chemical stuff to colour my hair.

I'm really thrilled. I did it again today, and I shampooed after this time. It's fabulous!!! :happydance::joy:

Sounds amazing! :happydance:
Congratulations!

jeanniet
December 9th, 2010, 03:16 PM
I always recommend 30 seconds to under 1 minute in the microwave.
I'm glad I asked! I've been doing 20 seconds. Would it be better to heat the honey alone, or can I just heat an herbal rinse with honey added to it? Come to think of it, can I just add the honey to the boiled water when I add the herbs to steep? Thanks, ktani!

Finchen
December 9th, 2010, 03:49 PM
I washed my hair with 1 tablespoon Aritha powder mixed with 1/4 tablespoon Methi (Fenugreek). I shook the bottle quite long to get a bit foam from the Aritha. I let it sit on my head for 3-5 minutes and then rinsed my hair with destilled water and 1-2 tablespoons fresh orange juice (I hope this was not a bad idea). My hair is still damp but it feels good. I cannot say yet if the honey treatment lightened my hair but I liked the mixture much more (with EVCO instead of cinnamon). Will make a picture tomorrow.

ktani
December 9th, 2010, 04:11 PM

I am thrilled for you that you are so pleased with your results!!!!!!!!!!!

ktani
December 9th, 2010, 04:17 PM
I'm glad I asked! I've been doing 20 seconds. Would it be better to heat the honey alone, or can I just heat an herbal rinse with honey added to it? Come to think of it, can I just add the honey to the boiled water when I add the herbs to steep? Thanks, ktani!

No, microwave! And do the honey separately. Many herbs should not be heated that high. Boiled water will not do it, although it will negatively affect the peroxide level.

I washed my hair with 1 tablespoon Aritha powder mixed with 1/4 tablespoon Methi (Fenugreek). I shook the bottle quite long to get a bit foam from the Aritha. I let it sit on my head for 3-5 minutes and then rinsed my hair with destilled water and 1-2 tablespoons fresh orange juice (I hope this was not a bad idea). My hair is still damp but it feels good. I cannot say yet if the honey treatment lightened my hair but I liked the mixture much more (with EVCO instead of cinnamon). Will make a picture tomorrow.

Aritha can affect hair colour. It can add a red tone (reported here on the boards) or a light brown one.

jeanniet
December 9th, 2010, 07:42 PM
Thanks, ktani, will do! :)

ktani
December 9th, 2010, 08:14 PM
Thanks, ktani, will do! :)

You are most welcome!

Finchen
December 10th, 2010, 11:59 AM

Like promised, here is one picture. My hair-ends were quite greasy yesterday evening (from the EVCO), but today they are dry. :confused:
I even had problems to comb my hair. Maybe they are dry due to the Aritha which I used the first time or because of the orange juice, I dont know.

I am not sure if my hair is lighter from the honey treatment. At least the gray-green tone (from the Bhringraj) seems to fade away.

http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/6257/hair002s.jpg

ktani
December 10th, 2010, 12:09 PM
Like promised, here is one picture. My hair-ends were quite greasy yesterday evening (from the EVCO), but today they are dry. :confused:
I even had problems to comb my hair. Maybe they are dry due to the Aritha which I used the first time or because of the orange juice, I dont know.

I am not sure if my hair is lighter from the honey treatment. At least the gray-green tone (from the Bhringraj) seems to fade away.

http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/6257/hair002s.jpg

Thank you for the update!

Your hair continues to look gorgeous!

This is your last set of pictures, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=1356118&postcount=4554.

You have used products though right after this honey lightening treatment, that can affect hair colour. It does look lighter to me.

Try washing your hair with shampoo, followed by a well diluted vinegar rinse, to help resolve the stiffness issues.

Finchen
December 10th, 2010, 12:18 PM
Thanks ktani. Yes, when I compare the pics, I also think they are a bit lighter now. I will wash my hair with shampoo or egg-yolk the next time.

I will definitely continue with the honey treatments. :)

Do you also do honey treatments?

ktani
December 10th, 2010, 12:31 PM
Thanks ktani. Yes, when I compare the pics, I also think they are a bit lighter now. I will wash my hair with shampoo or egg-yolk the next time.

I will definitely continue with the honey treatments. :)

Do you also do honey treatments?

If as I suspect your honey is leaving behind residue, which I now believe is beeswax particles, shampoo followed by a well diluted vinegar rinse will be best.

No, I do not honey lighten my hair.

1. I am sensitive to it on my scalp, although I can use it on my skin in limited amounts, and have lightened freckles on the backs of my hands with it.

2. I do not want my hair colour to be lighter. I stain my grey/white streaks light blonde with catnip tea.

Finchen
December 10th, 2010, 03:48 PM
If as I suspect your honey is leaving behind residue, which I now believe is beeswax particles, shampoo followed by a well diluted vinegar rinse will be best.

My scalp does not like shampoo, thats why I switched to the egg-shampoo resp. Indian herbs. I have much less/no dandruff when I wash my hair with Indian herbs. Though I do not like that they stain my hair.

No, I do not honey lighten my hair.

1. I am sensitive to it on my scalp, although I can use it on my skin in limited amounts, and have lightened freckles on the backs of my hands with it.

2. I do not want my hair colour to be lighter. I stain my grey/white streaks light blonde with catnip tea.

I have used catnip tea once as a rinse, some years ago and can remember that it left my hair greasy. :eek:

ktani
December 10th, 2010, 04:17 PM
My scalp does not like shampoo, thats why I switched to the egg-shampoo resp. Indian herbs. I have much less/no dandruff when I wash my hair with Indian herbs. Though I do not like that they stain my hair.

I have used catnip tea once as a rinse, some years ago and can remember that it left my hair greasy. :eek:

Hopefully, the washing herbs followed by a well diluted vinegar rinse, will help.

Catnip tea has never made my hair greasy in over 5 years of using it the way I do, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=118.

Finchen
December 13th, 2010, 07:27 AM
Hopefully, the washing herbs followed by a well diluted vinegar rinse, will help.

Catnip tea has never made my hair greasy in over 5 years of using it the way I do, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=118.

Hi ktani, thanks for the link, very informative!
I have to try Catnip again. Honestly I do not remember very well what it did to my hair (I thought it made it greasy but maybe I am wrong), as its so long ago since I tried it (only once). So will give it another chance.

ktani
December 13th, 2010, 07:33 AM
Hi ktani, thanks for the link, very informative!
I have to try Catnip again. Honestly I do not remember very well what it did to my hair (I thought it made it greasy but maybe I am wrong), as its so long ago since I tried it (only once). So will give it another chance.

Some of it needs to be removed each time (with shampoo) as it does coat the hair too, and it contains oils.

I have never had it build-up on my hair (build-up defined as shampoo not removing enough of it each time, so that it causes problems).

Good luck!

Finchen
December 13th, 2010, 07:45 AM
Thank you ktani. I am looking forward to try it. :stirpot:

ktani
December 13th, 2010, 10:56 AM
Thank you ktani. I am looking forward to try it. :stirpot:

You are most welcome!

Finchen
December 15th, 2010, 06:35 PM
I have read that honey diluted with water works best to lighten the hair. However I would like to try honey with coconut milk, since coconut milk makes my hair very shiny and soft. Do I have a chance to lighten my hair with this mixture or will it just condition my hair?

ktani
December 15th, 2010, 07:49 PM
I have read that honey diluted with water works best to lighten the hair. However I would like to try honey with coconut milk, since coconut milk makes my hair very shiny and soft. Do I have a chance to lighten my hair with this mixture or will it just condition my hair?

It is not the best choice. It can lighten your hair but it will take a lot longer to do so, it contains Vitamin C as well, which will lower the peroxide value of the honey.

Finchen
December 15th, 2010, 08:31 PM
It is not the best choice. It can lighten your hair but it will take a lot longer to do so, it contains Vitamin C as well, which will lower the peroxide value of the honey.

Yes I thought that the Vitamin C might be the problem. Anyway, I will try this mixture by the end of this week and will make new photos. :)

ktani
December 15th, 2010, 09:09 PM
Yes I thought that the Vitamin C might be the problem. Anyway, I will try this mixture by the end of this week and will make new photos. :)

Good luck!

auburn
December 18th, 2010, 12:52 AM
Does it help in any way if you leave it more than an hour and a half?

ktani
December 18th, 2010, 11:41 AM
Does it help in any way if you leave it more than an hour and a half?

It certainly will not hurt and you may get even more lightening. Different honeys have different peak and decline times for their peroxide values. 1 hour has on average has been reported to be enough time to get good results. It is the suggested time.

BlondeBimbo
December 21st, 2010, 05:19 AM
As you can see, my hair is already very light. I did four honey lightening treatmens using distilled water, honey and coconut oil. I'm thinking of adding some cinnamon to the mixture but...the question is, will the cinnamon add any red tones ?

ktani
December 21st, 2010, 06:06 PM
As you can see, my hair is already very light. I did four honey lightening treatmens using distilled water, honey and coconut oil. I'm thinking of adding some cinnamon to the mixture but...the question is, will the cinnamon add any red tones ?

Used as stated in this thread, (see the first post) unheated or boiled, it has not been reported to, no, just the opposite, it can help provide extra lightening.

sillyweezy
December 23rd, 2010, 04:04 AM
Hi! I'm new here (I actually joined the board because of this lovely, lovely thread) and I was wondering if bottled spring water was a decent substitute for distilled water? I'm not sure if I can easily get distilled where I live, and figured bottled water (without the added chemicals from tap water), might work just as well, or if I might as well just use tap water.

thanks!

ktani
December 23rd, 2010, 06:09 AM
Hi! I'm new here (I actually joined the board because of this lovely, lovely thread) and I was wondering if bottled spring water was a decent substitute for distilled water? I'm not sure if I can easily get distilled where I live, and figured bottled water (without the added chemicals from tap water), might work just as well, or if I might as well just use tap water.

thanks!

Welcome to LHC!

No, spring water has minerals in it. Distilled water has none or next to none. Some tap water works ok for this but if you can get deionized or distilled water and good luck!

sillyweezy
December 26th, 2010, 07:21 AM
thanks for the advise :D I ended up just going with tap water (for now). I've done it twice and I'm pretty sure there's a difference (though I always forget to take photos still my hair is half wet, so I can't be completely positive)

I used a tablespoon of honey + 6 of water + half a table spoon of cardomon (since that was all there was left in the jar!)

:)

sillyweezy
December 26th, 2010, 07:22 AM
thanks for the advise :D I ended up just going with tap water (for now). I've done it twice and I'm pretty sure there's a difference (though I always forget to take photos still my hair is half wet, so I can't be completely positive)

I used a tablespoon of honey + 6 of water + half a table spoon of cardomon (since that was all there was left in the jar!)

ktani
December 26th, 2010, 07:23 AM

Sounds good! No worries about the pictures. It is about what you see.

Finchen
January 3rd, 2011, 12:15 PM
Right now I am sitting here with a mixture of 2 tbsp honey, 1 tbsp cinnamon (filtered) and 12 tbsp of destilled water in my hair.

My hair is in a shower cap (to ensure that it stays wet) + a towel.

I have a nice warm feeling on my scalp.

I will wash it out after 1.5 hours. :)

ktani
January 3rd, 2011, 12:33 PM
Right now I am sitting here with a mixture of 2 tbsp honey, 1 tbsp cinnamon (filtered) and 12 tbsp of destilled water in my hair.

My hair is in a shower cap (to ensure that it stays wet) + a towel.

I have a nice warm feeling on my scalp.

I will wash it out after 1.5 hours. :)

Good luck!

Finchen
January 3rd, 2011, 12:54 PM
Thanks, will update later or tomorrow with pics. :)

ktani
January 3rd, 2011, 12:56 PM
Thanks, will update later or tomorrow with pics. :)

I look forward to it. Thank you.

Finchen
January 3rd, 2011, 04:50 PM
Ok, my hair seems to have a more ash-color now.

It looks that I have more highlights though, but I will need to check tomorrow at daylight and make pictures.

ktani
January 3rd, 2011, 05:19 PM
Ok, my hair seems to have a more ash-color now.

It looks that I have more highlights though, but I will need to check tomorrow at daylight and make pictures.

It does to me too.

See if you can find a before and after in the same lighting to compare them. If not no worries. I know that your hair recently looked more reddish. The hibiscus one.

Finchen
January 4th, 2011, 11:42 AM
It is really hard to make pictures with the same light. I tried it, but was wasnt really successful.

The left picture is from 26-Nov-2010 (after the first honey treatment) and the right picture from today, same position, more or less the same light. Both pics taken in the shade.

http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/9136/beforeafteru.jpg

The other two were taken in the sun, but you can see at the background (house wall) that the light is different. On the left picture the wall is more yellowish.
Nevertheless I think that my hair is not lighter at all.

http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/28/beforeaftersun.jpg

ktani
January 4th, 2011, 12:29 PM
This was the picture I was referring to the other day, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?p=1405070#post1405070.

I know that you have been using different plants and herbs mixtures on your hair. Your hair looks very different in tones and shades in different lighting which is not unusual.

Thank you for taking the time to take and post the pictures.

Regardless of the photos, do you see in all the lighting you have available to view it, that this honey lightening treatment effected a change in your hair colour?

Finchen
January 4th, 2011, 12:44 PM
Regardless of the photos, do you see in all the lighting you have available to view it, that this honey lightening treatment effected a change in your hair colour?

Yes I do see a slightly lighter tone when I look in the mirror.
It is not only the light which effects the photos but also the camera which sometimes produces strange colors.

ktani
January 4th, 2011, 12:50 PM
Yes I do see a slightly lighter tone when I look in the mirror.
It is not only the light which effects the photos but also the camera which sometimes produces strange colors.

I can somewhat of a difference too between the January one and the December one in the tone of your ends.

Your hair is also combed differently in the January photo. The hair from the canopy which is lighter than the hair underneath it is not showing the same in the back.

ETA: Your hair colour in pictures in you album here, taken in December 2010, right after your Indian herb mixture uses, looks much darker than your hair colour after your honey treatment in November 2010.

dawnandxavier
January 9th, 2011, 09:10 PM
I can somewhat of a difference too between the January one and the December one in the tone of your ends.

Your hair is also combed differently in the January photo. The hair from the canopy which is lighter than the hair underneath it is not showing the same in the back.

ETA: Your hair colour in pictures in you album here, taken in December 2010, right after your Indian herb mixture uses, looks much darker than your hair colour after your honey treatment in November 2010.

you guys look great:)

cuban curls
January 12th, 2011, 01:41 PM
Will the honey lighten 'robert craig' dye which is over my gray hair?

I have medium brown hair with blonde highlights. I have just a small patch on the front temples with gray hair which I apply Robert Craig blonde dye over to match my highlights. Will the honey remove this dye and expose the gray hairs?:confused:

ktani
January 12th, 2011, 05:35 PM
Will the honey lighten 'robert craig' dye which is over my gray hair?

I have medium brown hair with blonde highlights. I have just a small patch on the front temples with gray hair which I apply Robert Craig blonde dye over to match my highlights. Will the honey remove this dye and expose the gray hairs?:confused:

Honey can lighten any dye. It does not remove it though and there are viables. You can try it and see how well it can work. Please see the first post for details.

I will be happy to answer any questions after that.

NouvelleNymphe2
January 13th, 2011, 07:50 AM
Ever since Ktani posted this honey post I have been doing Cassia + Honey treatments regularly and LOVE what it does to my hairs! They are lighter/brighter, shinier, and golden. The honey washes right out with tlc (lots of conditioner and shampoo). I sleep with the mix on my head!

cuban curls
January 13th, 2011, 10:54 AM
I'm fascinated by this thread. I did a little more research and came up with this about sodium interacting with honey to produce the peroxide: I found it here http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/1697254/the_hydrogen_peroxide_producing_capacity.html?cat= 5

"Another condition is also required before the glucose oxidase becomes active. For the enzyme to break glucose down into hydrogen peroxide, a certain amount of sodium most be present.

Honey alone does not contain enough sodium to make this happen. However, skin and body fluids have relatively high pH and sodium levels. When honey comes in contact with skin or an open wound, the high pH and sodium levels activate the glucose oxidase and it begins to break down the glucose, releasing hydrogen peroxide. "

ktani
January 13th, 2011, 11:00 AM
I'm fascinated by this thread. I did a little more research and came up with this about sodium interacting with honey to produce the peroxide: I found it here http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/1697254/the_hydrogen_peroxide_producing_capacity.html?cat= 5

"Another condition is also required before the glucose oxidase becomes active. For the enzyme to break glucose down into hydrogen peroxide, a certain amount of sodium most be present.

Honey alone does not contain enough sodium to make this happen. However, skin and body fluids have relatively high pH and sodium levels. When honey comes in contact with skin or an open wound, the high pH and sodium levels activate the glucose oxidase and it begins to break down the glucose, releasing hydrogen peroxide. "

Thank you.

That issue has been addressed in the thread, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=729232&postcount=4100

And earlier than that here, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=676594&postcount=3968.

OperaTeacherMom
January 13th, 2011, 05:27 PM
I'm going to go ahead and try out this experiment too :) I'll obviously have to clarify before oil shampooing, but it will be totally worth it if I can get my hair a bit lighter with no damage!

ktani
January 13th, 2011, 05:34 PM
I'm going to go ahead and try out this experiment too :) I'll obviously have to clarify before oil shampooing, but it will be totally worth it if I can get my hair a bit lighter with no damage!

As with all of these threads, please see the first post of this thread for needed details.

OperaTeacherMom
January 13th, 2011, 07:37 PM
As with all of these threads, please see the first post of this thread for needed details.

Already done :) I have my mixture on my head now, it is:

3/4 cup distilled water
1/8 cup Burleson honey
1/2 Tbsp EVOO
1/2 Tbsp coconut oil
1 Tbsp cinnamon (maybe a little more, I wasn't terribly exact)

I'm excited to see how this turns out!

ktani
January 13th, 2011, 07:55 PM
Already done :) I have my mixture on my head now, it is:

3/4 cup distilled water
1/8 cup Burleson honey
1/2 Tbsp EVOO
1/2 Tbsp coconut oil
1 Tbsp cinnamon (maybe a little more, I wasn't terribly exact)

I'm excited to see how this turns out!

Good luck! I look forward to your update!

NouvelleNymphe2
January 14th, 2011, 01:11 PM
If you would like to see my pics of before and after honey check out my profile. I'm a honey LOVER now!!! I'll keep on posting pictures. I have done 3 honey treatments, and am on to number 4 tonight. They have all been different. Some mixed with other herbs (Cassia) and spices (Cinnamon), and tonight is a deep conditioning treatment (oils, honey, jojoba conditioner, etc.). Always feel free to check out my honey album. :crush: me + honey = <3

ktani
January 14th, 2011, 01:14 PM
If you would like to see my pics of before and after honey check out my profile. I'm a honey LOVER now!!! I'll keep on posting pictures. I have done 3 honey treatments, and am on to number 4 tonight. They have all been different. Some mixed with other herbs (Cassia) and spices (Cinnamon), and tonight is a deep conditioning treatment (oils, honey, jojoba conditioner, etc.). Always feel free to check out my honey album. :crush: me + honey = <3

Thank you for the update!

OperaTeacherMom
January 14th, 2011, 07:13 PM
Ok, so adding the cinnamon was a bad, BAD idea for me. It took about 5 washes to get out, and if I scratch my scalp I still have cinnamon under my fingernails. Eek. Beyond that, my hair keeps sticking to the back of my neck, despite the fact that I literally shampooed 5 times. It doesn't look much lighter to me, maybe just a tad. I'm thinking I went too complicated with this for the first try, I need to do something really really super basic next time, and see if I get better results.

Is this supposed to end up really super watery? I had trouble even keeping the mixture on my hair.

ktani
January 14th, 2011, 07:20 PM
Ok, so adding the cinnamon was a bad, BAD idea for me. It took about 5 washes to get out, and if I scratch my scalp I still have cinnamon under my fingernails. Eek. Beyond that, my hair keeps sticking to the back of my neck, despite the fact that I literally shampooed 5 times. It doesn't look much lighter to me, maybe just a tad. I'm thinking I went too complicated with this for the first try, I need to do something really really super basic next time, and see if I get better results.

Is this supposed to end up really super watery? I had trouble even keeping the mixture on my hair.

Yes, the mixture is supposed to be watery. In some cases, more honey to water can be used, depending on the pH of the honey when diluted with water. Most honeys are too acidic for that though.

An option for using cinnamon, is to let the honey treatment sit for 1 hour, than filter it though a coffee filter for example, then apply it to your hair. That innovative idea was not mine. The person who thought of it was credited for it earlier in the thread, although I do not believe that it was tried until this report, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=1355505&postcount=4551. If it had been, it would have been posted in innovations, a post I set up for that, even though I no longer record posts separately the way I used to in a Word file, not in the thread itself.

Application methods are in this post, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=134083&postcount=1096.

ETA: I just did an advanced search. I think filtering the cinnamon and the treatment as a whole was a suggestion only. I would have replied to it and thanked the person but it has not been recorded as a report except once, since. I am very strict when it comes to giving credit. I do not believe that I would have made that oversight.

Credit is given in the innovations post when something is tested and works. I have suggested filtering since then, hoping someone would try it. I found posts on that. I do know I did not think of it myself.

I take credit for the new dilution recipes and methods of preparation and I explained how that evolved through the research I did, as well as the keeping the hair wet and the bagging of it for that purpose. The hair staying wet throughout the treatment process is mine as well. I did make an application suggestion on how to do that with a spray bottle but that can be done other ways too. The spray bottle was not one of my ideas either originally, as a honey lightening treatment application technique.

The application tips and options for those are not mine. They came from reports. I have posted my application of my catnip treatments. Others do that differently. I never concerned myself too much with that. There are many ways to do it. I have applied catnip treatments to my hair during my experimentation period, with cotton balls. I prefer to just apply it to my hair with some poured into my hand, in the shower.

Got it! It was a question/suggestion, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=444243&postcount=3300, not tried. I did not thank her. I just replied because the answer was unknown and I gave my opinion.

That has been bothering me because giving credit to others for an innovative idea is important to me and I was too glib in my reply to Finchen for my liking.

As it turns out the results were not that conclusive. Yes, some lightening was achieved. So, yes, filtering worked but it may be that better results would have been achieved without removing the cinnamon. I classify this idea as still unproven. If it does work out, Tapioca will get full credit for it.

Catia
January 15th, 2011, 01:27 PM
I have done the honey treatment 3x now (1x/week because that's my normal hair wash schedule)

my recipe:

3/4c. honey (Meijer brand aka ..cheap lol)
4 1/2c. distilled water
2T cinnamon or cardamom

I put it in a mixing bowl and dunk my dry hair(and head) into it. I am using a mesh juice strainer bag(for those who juice at home) to strain the spices out. I got it from The Raw Food World and it works wonderfully to get every little bit out. I cover the hair with plastic wrap and leave on for 1 1/2 hours. Haven't had any problem with dry out with this method.

1st time I did honey water only. 2nd time was with cinnamon. 3rd time was with cardamom (I bought cardamom from hennaforhair)

After this last treatment I can officially say it is working to lift the billion layers of henna/indigo I have :thumbsup: I have done two step henna/indigo for black for over 3 years (hendigo for 2 years prior to that) and have done root only applications for the last 2. I am only looking to lift to a warm dark brown so my joy is based on somewhat reasonable expectations ;)

After using the cardamom I can see the red peeking through sufficiently enough that my husband noticed. Noteworthy I think :p The length is lifting easier then the top portion because it hasn't seen indigo in a while but I still think it will work with time.

I was planning on doing this 1x/week for a couple months but I feel I'm getting results quicker then expected :)

I am also surprised that my hair has been quite shiny and soft from the treatments too. I had a honey disaster about 5 years ago that scared the pants off of me but your scientific approach lured me to try this anyway .... Thank you ktani :inlove:

ktani
January 15th, 2011, 01:32 PM
I have done the honey treatment 3x now (1x/week because that's my normal hair wash schedule)

my recipe:

3/4c. honey (Meijer brand aka ..cheap lol)
4 1/2c. distilled water
2T cinnamon or cardamom

I put it in a mixing bowl and dunk my dry hair(and head) into it. I am using a mesh juice strainer bag(for those who juice at home) to strain the spices out. I got it from The Raw Food World and it works wonderfully to get every little bit out. I cover the hair with plastic wrap and leave on for 1 1/2 hours. Haven't had any problem with dry out with this method.

1st time I did honey water only. 2nd time was with cinnamon. 3rd time was with cardamom (I bought cardamom from hennaforhair)

After this last treatment I can officially say it is working to lift the billion layers of henna/indigo I have :thumbsup: I have done two step henna/indigo for black for over 3 years (hendigo for 2 years prior to that) and have done root only applications for the last 2. I am only looking to lift to a warm dark brown so my joy is based on somewhat reasonable expectations ;)

After using the cardamom I can see the red peeking through sufficiently enough that my husband noticed. Noteworthy I think :p The length is lifting easier then the top portion because it hasn't seen indigo in a while but I still think it will work with time.

I was planning on doing this 1x/week for a couple months but I feel I'm getting results quicker then expected :)

I am also surprised that my hair has been quite shiny and soft from the treatments too. I had a honey disaster about 5 years ago that scared the pants off of me but your scientific approach lured me to try this anyway .... Thank you ktani :inlove:

You are most welcome!

I am glad it is working so well for you and that your hair feels great!

If you do get honey residue, just shampoo, and that should remove it fairly easily.

Catia
January 15th, 2011, 01:37 PM
If you do get honey residue, just shampoo, and that should remove it fairly easily.

Yup! I have been using a very gentle sulfate free shampoo on the length and haven't had any problems :D

ktani
January 15th, 2011, 01:43 PM
Yup! I have been using a very gentle sulfate free shampoo on the length and haven't had any problems :D

Great news!

cuban curls
January 15th, 2011, 02:38 PM
Catia: you strain the mixture to get the spice particles out BEFORE you put on your hair?

I was thinking of using a blender to really mix the water/honey/cinnimon mix but don't know if that would somehow affect the strength.

ktani
January 15th, 2011, 02:42 PM
Catia: you strain the mixture to get the spice particles out BEFORE you put on your hair?

I was thinking of using a blender to really mix the water/honey/cinnimon mix but don't know if that would somehow affect the strength.

See this post, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=1430343&postcount=4671.

I am reserving judgment on the method for now although it appears to work well enough.

cuban curls
January 15th, 2011, 02:57 PM
I've done 2 treatments so far with 1/4 cup of honey and 2 cups of distilled water. I let mixture sit for 1 hour then poured over my hair while in the shower. Wrapped with saran and waited 2 hours till I removed. I really didn't notice any change especially in the roots. (I have medium brown hair with blonde highlights) I'm trying to lighten my medium brown color to look more natural with the blonde highlights because it's too much of a contrast.

So I went to the store today and picked up sue bee honey which is on the list. Maybe my cheapo honey was the problem. I also bought ground cinnamin. I'm trying to decide how to apply with the cinnamon; I may let the mixture sit for an hour then test the straining method. I wonder if boiling the cinnamon in small amount of water will dissolve the particles completely...Hmmmmm...I'm off to the kitchen to test this....

I will use my new mixture tomorrow. I will post my results.

cuban curls
January 15th, 2011, 03:26 PM
well the cinnamon didn't disolve in the hot water BUT it was much more of a cinnamony flavor. I wonder if the very hot water extracts more of the cinnamon then just letting it sit in the room tempature water. (like putting a tea bag in boiling water for the flavor)

I could get a tablespoon of distilled water hot in the microwave then add the cinnamon and let it sit till it cools. Then I could strain it and add that small amount of 'cinnamon water' to the honey mixture.

If anyone knows of any reason that the cinnamon would loose it's peroxide by adding it to hot water let me know. If not I will proceed with this idea tomorrow.:cheese:

ktani
January 15th, 2011, 03:46 PM
well the cinnamon didn't disolve in the hot water BUT it was much more of a cinnamony flavor. I wonder if the very hot water extracts more of the cinnamon then just letting it sit in the room tempature water. (like putting a tea bag in boiling water for the flavor)

I could get a tablespoon of distilled water hot in the microwave then add the cinnamon and let it sit till it cools. Then I could strain it and add that small amount of 'cinnamon water' to the honey mixture.

If anyone knows of any reason that the cinnamon would loose it's peroxide by adding it to hot water let me know. If not I will proceed with this idea tomorrow.:cheese:

Do not heat any of the ingredients at any time. It can negatively affect the peroxide levels.

cuban curls
January 15th, 2011, 03:51 PM
okay, thank you ktani. Will not heat. Of course I did have a small 1/2 cup mixture that I did heat just sitting. I'll add some rum and have me a hot tooty!! :D

ktani
January 15th, 2011, 04:10 PM
okay, thank you ktani. Will not heat. Of course I did have a small 1/2 cup mixture that I did heat just sitting. I'll add some rum and have me a hot tooty!! :D

LOL, the new recipes are all edible, lol.

Catia
January 16th, 2011, 09:42 PM

I'm sorry I didn't see your question until now.:o .... although I think ktani already answered it for you. Didn't mean to leave you hangin'

Yes, I did strain the spices before application.

I thought the same thing about losing strength too ... I mean ... so I let the cinnamon/cardamom sit in this cold water (I'm in Michigan ... *everything* is cold right now lol) for an hour and this is supposed to do something significant?? :suspect:

It did fragrance the honey water quite well though.

I'm just saying I understand the desire to nuke the bezesus out it (even though it's wrong lol) :wannabe:

ktani
January 16th, 2011, 09:49 PM
I'm sorry I didn't see your question until now.:o .... although I think ktani already answered it for you. Didn't mean to leave you hangin'

Yes, I did strain the spices before application.

I thought the same thing about losing strength too ... I mean ... so I let the cinnamon/cardamom sit in this cold water (I'm in Michigan ... *everything* is cold right now lol) for an hour and this is supposed to do something significant?? :suspect:

It did fragrance the honey water quite well though.

I'm just saying I understand the desire to nuke the bezesus out it (even though it's wrong lol) :wannabe:

1 hour can and should bring the honey peroxide value to full potency. However, that can vary somewhat with honeys. It can no doubt vary with the spices too. That is why, although filtering does apparently work well enough, I am not yet convinced leaving the spices in the mix, cannot yield even better results.

Cardamom is reported to rinse out of the hair better than cinnamon and has a higher peroxide value.

Both spices should be patch tested first before using.

With cinnamon it still comes down to the amount used though. People have reported irritation from larger amounts of it used, when the recommended amounts produced none.

kittylover
January 18th, 2011, 09:27 AM
I have a quick question regarding honey lightening. I will be doing a treatment tonight and I understand you have to keep the hair wet while the treatment is on your hair. What should I use to keep my hair wet during the honey lightening? Should I use just distilled water or should I use the actual honey lightening solution?

ktani
January 18th, 2011, 09:48 AM
I have a quick question regarding honey lightening. I will be doing a treatment tonight and I understand you have to keep the hair wet while the treatment is on your hair. What should I use to keep my hair wet during the honey lightening? Should I use just distilled water or should I use the actual honey lightening solution?

I would keep a bit of the mix back (you need to make enough for that), to keep rewetting the hair if necessary.

kittylover
January 18th, 2011, 09:58 AM
Thank you ktani. One more question. Would it be okay to do a coconut oil soak on my hair for a few hours before the honey lightening treatment? I am at work right now and obviously can't do the honey mix. I would put the coconut oil in my hair and put it up into a bun and leave it on for a few hours and then wash before I do the honey treatment. Or do you think the coconut oil soak will push the cassia deeper into the hair?

ktani
January 18th, 2011, 10:01 AM
Thank you ktani. One more question. Would it be okay to do a coconut oil soak on my hair for a few hours before the honey lightening treatment? I am at work right now and obviously can't do the honey mix. I would put the coconut oil in my hair and put it up into a bun and leave it on for a few hours and then wash before I do the honey treatment. Or do you think the coconut oil soak will push the cassia deeper into the hair?

I would leave the coconut oil soak for another time and do the honey lightening first. You may need to wash your hair after the honey lightening if there is any honey residue in any case.

kittylover
January 19th, 2011, 09:13 AM
I am still confused about one thing. Do you mix all the ingredients together at once and let it sit for one hour or do you just mix the distilled water with the honey and let that sit and then after one hour you add the cinnamon and EVOO?

ktani
January 19th, 2011, 09:14 AM
I am still confused about one thing. Do you mix all the ingredients together at once and let it sit for one hour or do you just mix the distilled water with the honey and let that sit and then after one hour you add the cinnamon and EVOO?

All together at one time. Each ingredient contributes a peroxide value.

Zenity
January 29th, 2011, 09:31 AM
Hello again!

I've come up with an invention to keep the liquid mix in the hair with no mess at all. As it works wonderfully for me I thought I would share.

It works in my long hair but only works if you don't want to make your scalp wet. Just the length of your hair. I also think if your hair is too short to tie it this wouldn't work for you.

So here is what you need:

-Some elastics (better hook ones) depending on how many pony tails you want to do. In my case I used 4: 2 elastics per tail on 2 low ponytails.

-2 (or more) leek prof good quality plastic bags. I used regular ziplocks 'cause that's all I had and because of the lid on top preventing them to slip when I secure them with the elastics.

-a measurement cup or bottle (not totally necessary)

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa85/ZenityNadir/PELO/MI%20PELO/Honey%20hair%20invention/P1290059.jpg

How you do it:

-Tie your hair in as many pony tails as you want. They can be lower or upper. The lower they are the less close the mix will get to your roots.
In my pic I'm showing you only one side of one lower pony tail. But I've done it with higher ones too:

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa85/ZenityNadir/PELO/MI%20PELO/Honey%20hair%20invention/P1280050.jpghttp://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa85/ZenityNadir/PELO/MI%20PELO/Honey%20hair%20invention/P1290062.jpg

NOTE: If you want to get as close as possible to the scalp without messing it up I suggest you divide your hair in many partitions/tails.
As an example: get your hair divide in two sections right and left. Now divide each section half horizontally in two more sections on each side. Now take the bottom sections and tie them in two pony tails. Now take the upper mid part left and divide it in two vertical sections one closer to your ear-temple and the other closer to the back of your head. That way you will end up with 3 tails in each side and the mix will get pretty close to your roots, but not totally. The more pony tails you make the closer you will get to the roots. Just droping an idea.
But my idea on making this is just to simplify the process not to overcomplicate it... So if any of you tries this maybe you can add your two cents to find out how to improve it.

You can use a regular elastic at this step if you want to but the hook ones work better for me.

-Once your mix is ready pour half of it in one ziplock, then carefully put all the hair of your pony tail inside, squeeze the maximum amount of air out of the ziplock and while squeezing make sure the liquid can go as high as possible on the lenght of your hair.

Now, as the ziplocks are pretty wide, (I'm sure in a narrower bag would work better) I wrap them around the elastic that is holding my tail and secure them with a new hook elastic in top of the previous tie. This way I prevent them from sliping down as the bottom elastic and the top of the ziplock acts like a brake. It can get pretty heavy once your hair is wet and all that liquid is sill inside
I keep squeezing it to make sure the honey mix gets to the top of the tails too, just carefully to not go over the elastics.

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa85/ZenityNadir/PELO/MI%20PELO/Honey%20hair%20invention/P1291117.jpghttp://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa85/ZenityNadir/PELO/MI%20PELO/Honey%20hair%20invention/P1291118.jpghttp://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa85/ZenityNadir/PELO/MI%20PELO/Honey%20hair%20invention/P1291119.jpghttp://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa85/ZenityNadir/PELO/MI%20PELO/Honey%20hair%20invention/P1291120.jpghttp://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa85/ZenityNadir/PELO/MI%20PELO/Honey%20hair%20invention/P1291121.jpg

Now you are done, let it sit for your hour and then, best part, is that if you don't want to wash your whole head you can only rinse and/or wash/condition the hair in the tails.
This is so far my fav. specially in freezing winter...

I hope you like it!

ETA

LOL! I've just realized this looks awful! Like I'm using one of those urine collectors to sip my hair inside.... LOL!LOL!LOL!!!!!

2nd ETA:

Just few more tips:

1.- By changing the location on your pony tails (lower/higher or front/back) every time I use this method I make sure the honey reaches most of my medium scalp and roots avoiding "one point mark". At the next pics you will see what I
mean as my pony tails this time were higher and moved to my temples.

2.- If instead squeezing all the time you add few hair ties the pressure inside the bag will raise the liquid level reaching most of the lenght of the hair. Not squeezing is better for keeping the bags intact (no drips) and by pulling the bottom of the tails higher and horizontally every here and there you ensure the honey mix is reaching the upper part as showed in my first set of pics.

Love this method and how easy is to apply it now!

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa85/ZenityNadir/PELO/MI%20PELO/Honey%20hair%20invention/Proyecto2.jpg

ETA to get the pics back

Zenity
January 29th, 2011, 09:47 AM
PS: I came up with this idea after reading the great results a girl got by using the honey dilution in a bowl and kept it totally wet for an hour, sorry I don't remember her name, I think her sister assisted her in the process.
As keeping the hair wet is the goal this method does that for sure and it is not messy not uncomfortable.

I've been doing for 3 weeks now (once at week) and is the best solution I've found so far to keep the hair wet and avoid all the mess in one step.

As per the formula I used:

-4 tbsp of wild raw honey (that came up to 2 ounces in my measuring bottle)
- x 24 tbsp distilled water (that made 8 and something ounces in my measuring bottle so by now I don't use the tbsp method anymore)
-1 tsp of grinded cardamon (I grind it myself)
-1 tsp of EVOO

Let it sit for an hour, filter and pour back to the measuring bottle. Then distribut 4 oz in each ziplock. Wait for an hour or so and wash/rinse and all my conditioning masking stuff.

Finchen
January 29th, 2011, 10:28 AM
This is a really FANTASTIC idea!!!
Thank you so much for posting this! :flowers:

ktani
January 29th, 2011, 11:17 AM
PS: I came up with this idea after reading the great results a girl got by using the honey dilution in a bowl and kept it totally wet for an hour, sorry I don't remember her name, I think her sister assisted her in the process.
As keeping the hair wet is the goal this method does that for sure and it is not messy not uncomfortable.

I've been doing for 3 weeks now (once at week) and is the best solution I've found so far to keep the hair wet and avoid all the mess in one step.

As per the formula I used:

-4 tbsp of wild raw honey (that came up to 2 ounces in my measuring bottle)
- x 24 tbsp distilled water (that made 8 and something ounces in my measuring bottle so by now I don't use the tbsp method anymore)
-1 tsp of grinded cardamon (I grind it myself)
-1 tsp of EVOO

Let it sit for an hour, filter and pour back to the measuring bottle. Then distribut 4 oz in each ziplock. Wait for an hour or so and wash/rinse and all my conditioning masking stuff.

Wonderful idea! How are you keeping the scalp hair wet? The roots area above the elastics which can need to be lightened too.

Zenity
January 29th, 2011, 11:56 AM
Ktani,

By using this method I do not intend to keep my scalp wet at all, indeed that is what I am trying to avoid due the freezing temperatures on winter...:headache:

What I've done, though, to make the dilution as closer as possible to the roots is to tie my hair higher in two pony tails, above my ears. I still keep my scalp dry but the mix reaches the hair at a higher level.

The other adventage of this method is that I do not need to wash my hair completely when done. Simply use the sink or the toilet faucet and rinse throughly with water the pony tails. When I'm done I just condition or apply any product of my preference and dry the lenght of the pony tail. My scalp does not need to get wet.

However if someone wants to do her scalp as well I would suggest save parte of the mix into an spritzer and keep sprayng the scalp while the lenght of the hair stays on the bags.:confused: Would that work?

This system will give you a result of a sunkissed ends the balayage or ombr&#233; style (google it to know what I mean) wich means you concentrate on the medium-ends to make it look lighter that the roots.

Is my very personal invention but I know one size does not fit all, so If anyone can come up with a better idea for the ones who want their scalp wet as well I am eager to learn more!!!!

Zenity
January 29th, 2011, 11:57 AM
Finchen,

You are very welcome!:)

Zenity
January 29th, 2011, 12:00 PM
Forgot to mention this method is suitable for any application of liquid stuff from mediums to ends, as teas or other treatments in liquid form.

Besides keeping your hair totally wet makes it absorb to its max. any stuff you put on it.

Specially in winter time this is the best thing I've done to treat my hair without getting a cold...

ktani
January 29th, 2011, 12:26 PM
Forgot to mention this method is suitable for any application of liquid stuff from mediums to ends, as teas or other treatments in liquid form.

Besides keeping your hair totally wet makes it absorb to its max. any stuff you put on it.

Specially in winter time this is the best thing I've done to treat my hair without getting a cold...

This is all great!

Yes, misting constantly if the scalp is not covered and someimes in addition if it is has been reported to work beautifully.

I have updated the Innovations post and included your idea, with credit, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=578074&postcount=3697.

Zenity
January 29th, 2011, 12:33 PM
This is all great!

Yes, misting constantly if the scalp is not covered and someimes in addition if it is has been reported to work beautifully.

Yep! I just hope you girls find it as comfortable as I do. Usually my honey treatments and other liquid stuff I put on my hair are on standby on winter season. But this way I even forget I have something on my hair as I can go around the house and do my things.... Except opening the door to the postman as I REALLY look like I have huge urine collectors on my hair.... I bet if someone sees me this way will call emergencies telling them I pee through my head!!!! LOL!:D

ktani
January 29th, 2011, 01:12 PM
Yep! I just hope you girls find it as comfortable as I do. Usually my honey treatments and other liquid stuff I put on my hair are on standby on winter season. But this way I even forget I have something on my hair as I can go around the house and do my things.... Except opening the door to the postman as I REALLY look like I have huge urine collectors on my hair.... I bet if someone sees me this way will call emergencies telling them I pee through my head!!!! LOL!:D

LOL, I would not worry about that - wrong body end, lol.

I added this for you - in the Innovations post, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=578074&postcount=3697.

Finchen
January 29th, 2011, 01:12 PM
Except opening the door to the postman as I REALLY look like I have huge urine collectors on my hair.... I bet if someone sees me this way will call emergencies telling them I pee through my head!!!! LOL!:D

Hahahaha, this made me LOL so much. :D

Zenity
January 29th, 2011, 03:34 PM
Ktani,

Thank you!
I feel like a honeywood star with my imprints left on the forum! LOL!

ktani
January 29th, 2011, 03:39 PM
Ktani,

Thank you!
I feel like a honeywood star with my imprints left on the forum! LOL!

You are most welcome!

I always and have always given credit whenever possible. It is something I believe in very strongly.

Zenity
January 29th, 2011, 05:00 PM
You are most welcome!

I always and have always given credit whenever possible. It is something I believe in very strongly.:)

We are at the same page. Great minds think alike! lol!

ktani
January 29th, 2011, 05:06 PM

We are at the same page. Great minds think alike! lol!

Glad to hear it!

NouvelleNymphe2
February 2nd, 2011, 07:49 AM
Ktani Question (Little background first):

Ok so I’m a fine haired going no-cone. I’ve read about the transition period and some of the fine haired members report breakage and fly aways during this transition period. However once they get over it they are happy with their no-cone choice. My hair loved the first several weeks, but now enters the transitional phase everyone talks about. What I would like to share is that to combat my no-cone transitional phase, which I only recentnly entered (breakage on natural hair & fly aways)(no-cone since december) I read that SMTs are helpful during this period. Lately I haven’t really had time to do full SMTs so instead I have added lots of honey to my CWC. I actually use about 60% honey 40% conditionner (Garnier Soft line Avocado). Now I did this today and I really like the result ! And I would like to ask you : does the honey coat the hair and give it protection like silicone does in coney products ? Because I notice way less fly aways, less shedding during my regular combing and then brushing routine, and all over more shine and sleekness. I am going to keep doing this. During a normal week I CO and rinse with white vinegar and then twice during the week I CWC. I’m going to start putting honey in my conditionner everytime I condition because although it is a little crunchy at first (when drying) it has dried up beautifully. And I’m using a heavy honey mix (60-40) I’ll keep you updated. Here are some pictures of hair in sunlight prior to honey in conditionner and hair in sunlight after honey+conditioner.

Hair in sunlight before conditioner only :
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ladylilypad/5410607358/in/photostream/

Hair in sunlight after first CWC using 60%honey40%conditioner (Garnier Soft)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ladylilypad/5409998767/in/photostream/

Hair COMBED BRUSHED AND STYLED in bathroom light after first CWC using 60%honey40%conditioner:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ladylilypad/5410444434/

ktani
February 2nd, 2011, 08:07 AM
Ktani Question (Little background first):

Ok so I’m a fine haired going no-cone. I’ve read about the transition period and some of the fine haired members report breakage and fly aways during this transition period. However once they get over it they are happy with their no-cone choice. My hair loved the first several weeks, but now enters the transitional phase everyone talks about. What I would like to share is that to combat my no-cone transitional phase, which I only recentnly entered (breakage on natural hair & fly aways)(no-cone since december) I read that SMTs are helpful during this period. Lately I haven’t really had time to do full SMTs so instead I have added lots of honey to my CWC. I actually use about 60&#37; honey 40% conditionner (Garnier Soft line Avocado). Now I did this today and I really like the result ! And I would like to ask you : does the honey coat the hair and give it protection like silicone does in coney products ? Because I notice way less fly aways, less shedding during my regular combing and then brushing routine, and all over more shine and sleekness. I am going to keep doing this. During a normal week I CO and rinse with white vinegar and then twice during the week I CWC. I’m going to start putting honey in my conditionner everytime I condition because although it is a little crunchy at first (when drying) it has dried up beautifully. And I’m using a heavy honey mix (60-40) I’ll keep you updated. Here are some pictures of hair in sunlight prior to honey in conditionner and hair in sunlight after honey+conditioner.

Hair in sunlight before conditioner only :
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ladylilypad/5410607358/in/photostream/

Hair in sunlight after first CWC using 60%honey40%conditioner (Garnier Soft)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ladylilypad/5409998767/in/photostream/

Hair COMBED BRUSHED AND STYLED in bathroom light after first CWC using 60%honey40%conditioner:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ladylilypad/5410444434/

Honey does coat the hair.

Honey has humectant properties. It will draw moisture from the air to bind it to the surface of the hair rinsed out.

Honey can be completely washed out of the hair with shampoo, even if it has left behind honey residue, which can make hair feel hard and stiff.

Honey can make the hair feel silky and smooth but a silicone comparison does not really apply.

Thank you for the pictures.

Viviane
February 5th, 2011, 03:35 PM
Hullo, guyses. I&#180;ve been absent for(ever) a long time, but was glad to find the subject of hun alive and kicking.
I really need to update my latest experiments, so here goes...
I managed to get a squirt bottle of organic honey that is very dark, and the vendor told me it&#180;s most fresh. I&#180;ve used it every now and then with organic conditioner ( from Urtekram, aloe vera one. Has lots of natural oils ) to scalp massages in the shower. Oh holy lightnings. It visibly lightens my hair every single time. This time around it&#180;s not even wanted since I&#180;m all henna glossed only. But it strikes me that the key is in the freshness of honey, perhaps. Then again, there are boatloads of different natural oils in the conditioner too...:rolleyes:
So I might have to give up honey on the scalp massages ( I&#180;m trying to get back to normal with my scalp after a certain medicine prescribed to me, for pain. Used it only for a month and lost probably over half of my hair. I shed like crazy. No kidding, I can see my scalp through my hair, it&#180;s worst looking when wet. ) since I plan on oil shampooing from now on anyways.
But just a brief note.
It really lightens, from regrowth I see that it lightens a few shades lighter, than what you naturally are even.
Luckily a fierce henna glossing will mend that.

Girliness
February 6th, 2011, 09:35 PM
What would honey lightening do to dirty blonde hair? Would it make it look colored or would it be a natural lightening? Also, how would you manage roots versus length if the lightening is substantial?

ktani
February 7th, 2011, 03:29 AM
What would honey lightening do to dirty blonde hair? Would it make it look colored or would it be a natural lightening? Also, how would you manage roots versus length if the lightening is substantial?

It should look natural. There is a link about how to do roots only if that becomes an issue, in the first post of this thread.

Joliebaby
February 7th, 2011, 01:50 PM
Haa! Viviane! We were sort of the pioneers of the whole honey lightening thing way back.. How nice to see you back. I was gone for a long time too.

What brand honey have you been using?

Viviane
February 8th, 2011, 06:33 AM
Haa! Viviane! We were sort of the pioneers of the whole honey lightening thing way back.. How nice to see you back. I was gone for a long time too.

What brand honey have you been using?

Ain´t nuthn´as sweet as reunion of old farts, eh?
Or as they say ( whoever " they " are ), all good things eventually come back.
The honey was from a local beekeeper. It was a white plastic jar that said " hunajaa " on the side:o. I bought it from a " whole foods" place while I found some agave syrup and goji berries.
The shop keeper told me that she only managed to get few jars from him and that every time she scores a deal with him, it´s very fresh. It´s completely organic, raw honey.

ktani
February 9th, 2011, 06:41 AM
Ain´t nuthn´as sweet as reunion of old farts, eh?
Or as they say ( whoever " they " are ), all good things eventually come back.
The honey was from a local beekeeper. It was a white plastic jar that said " hunajaa " on the side:o. I bought it from a " whole foods" place while I found some agave syrup and goji berries.
The shop keeper told me that she only managed to get few jars from him and that every time she scores a deal with him, it´s very fresh. It´s completely organic, raw honey.

Hello Vivianne!

I have been distracted lately on the boards with things IRL (all good things).

Welcome back!

Zenity
February 19th, 2011, 06:45 AM
Just edited my post with pics on the bagging invention to add few more tips.:cheese:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?p=1454349#post1454349

EmmaRose
February 21st, 2011, 08:03 AM
So, I read the first post, so forgive me if the answer was there but I missed it. I co with coney conditioners- should I clarify before a honey lightening treatment? If not, is it better on clean or dirty hair?

ktani
February 21st, 2011, 08:50 AM
So, I read the first post, so forgive me if the answer was there but I missed it. I co with coney conditioners- should I clarify before a honey lightening treatment? If not, is it better on clean or dirty hair?

No worries!

It would be better in this case if your clarify your hair first. A honey lightening treatment can be used on "dirty" hair with no residues on it. This post, #10, has the details you were looking for http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=134083&postcount=1096.

Some things like aloe gel do not rinse out - they need to be washed out or clarified out - it depends on how much of what is on the hair.

catkin
February 23rd, 2011, 03:46 PM
I have a couple of questions, nd i am sorry if i am repeating any previously asked. When you apply the honey mixture, do you have to wet your hair before applying it or can your hair be dry? Would adding chamomile herbs help at all with the colouring?

thanks

ktani
February 23rd, 2011, 04:13 PM
I am not on the boards as much as before due to other commitments.

Most of the questions re honey lightening can be found in the first post of this thread, at the beginning of the post.

The new dilution recipes, which have been reported to work much better than previous recipes, use distilled or certain tap waters (low in minerals as opposed to mineral water for example) instead of conditioner, other products or herbal teas which can affect colour, acidity of the recipe and not give the desired results.

I will still reply to questions, when I can, addressed to me.

Kathie
March 2nd, 2011, 04:43 PM
I did my first honey treatment last night. I used the new concentration, distilled water and manuka honey.
I mixed it up and let it sit for an hour. I then applied it to damp hair so that it was saturated, put it up in a shower-cap and towel over the top. I tried a swim cap but I find them so terrible to stretch on while trying to keep all the hair nicely tucked in. Anyways, I left it on an hour, half way through I misted my hair again to make sure everything was wet.
Today, it’s so soft! This is best conditioning treatment I have tried :D
There may be a very slight color change :shrug: I’m going to continue on doing treatments and will post pics after the 4th or 5th one.

Springlets
March 18th, 2011, 03:23 AM
So castor oil is supposed to darken hair?

Darn because I just bought a bunch of samples from Chagrin Valley shampoo bars and they make my curls so nice. :( Are there any other good shampoo bar companies?

I did a honey treatment with actual distilled water (tried filtered in previous ones) and Walmart brand honey (as found on the honey list) and a little bit of EVOO. Previously, my hair had been two-toned: brassy on the bottom (from dye job a year ago), super light ashy on top (from lightening with lemon juice). I decided to finally just dye it to get it one color, and chose a light ash blonde. Unfortunately it came out way darker and way grayer than expected, so the next morning I went out and bought Color Oops. That got most of it out, but then there were leftover sections with either too much brass or gray. The Color Oops reviews say that if you color your hair too quickly after using it that the old color can return, or the new color will come out much darker, so I decided not to try coloring again. I had been lurking through the honey threads for awhile and, though my first two attempts yielded no results (I had been using wrong items), I decided to give it one last chance. I bought the right items, mixed in a bowl and let sit for an hour, rinsed my hair before (next time will shampoo before just to be safe since my styling products have aloe in them), placed hair in the bowl to soak while my head rested on a pillow (I think this was the Shikyo method?). After 30 minutes I got tired (it was super late at night) so I poured the remaining on my head, put a shower cap on, and went to bed.
I didn't think I noticed that much of a difference but both my parents said my hair looked lighter, and now that I look at it, my hair's tones have been blended more- less brass and less gray. I'm planning on doing a lot more treatments this week (there's no such thing as too blonde for me, and it will only get my hair into better condition so why not? ;)). Next time i'll try to remember to take pictures :D

ElusiveMuse
March 18th, 2011, 09:06 PM
If I do not want to lighten, should I avoid honey altogether? Or does it take a concerted effort and multiple uses to lighten?

If I should avoid it, what would you recommend as a substitute in moisturizing treatments and hair masks? Is there any validity to castor oil as a darkening ingredient?

Springlets
March 19th, 2011, 02:00 AM
Elusive Muse as far as I've read, as long as you heat the honey, it eliminates the ability for it to produce peroxide therefore it won't lighten your hair. Maybe look into coffee rinses to darken? I don't know about castor oil either.

Results!
So I don't have pictures of myself with my recent dye job, but that's because it looked horrible and if anything made my hair darker than the before color.

Here is a picture of my hair while I only used lemon and chamomile to lighten (therefore it's very brassy and yellow).
Before
http://i809.photobucket.com/albums/zz17/Blaircorneliabass/188479_1584094242472_1239230125_31322554_3345431_n .jpg

and one that shows the roots more, when I used Sun In, no lemon or chamomile
http://i809.photobucket.com/albums/zz17/Blaircorneliabass/2323232327Ffp7338nu336354334245454425258ot1lsi.jpg

After: 1st treatment
http://i809.photobucket.com/albums/zz17/Blaircorneliabass/2323232327Ffp4nu6957632258WSNRCG3449464335nu0mrj-1.jpg

3rd treatment
http://i809.photobucket.com/albums/zz17/Blaircorneliabass/2323232327Ffp4nu6957632258WSNRCG344946975335nu0mrj-2.jpg

http://i809.photobucket.com/albums/zz17/Blaircorneliabass/2323232327Ffpnu6957632258WSNRCG344946969335nu0mrj. jpg

http://i809.photobucket.com/albums/zz17/Blaircorneliabass/2323232327Ffp9nu6957632258WSNRCG34494668335nu0mrj-1.jpg

Ignore the weird orange spot in the new pics, that's either because that part was still wet or something the camera did, it doesn't look that way in real life. I'm incredibly happy with these results, the color looks so natural and my hair just keeps getting in better condition with each time. Now I can keep the light color I want and the health of my hair. :)

ktani
March 19th, 2011, 07:38 AM
Elusive Muse as far as I've read, as long as you heat the honey, it eliminates the ability for it to produce peroxide therefore it won't lighten your hair. Maybe look into coffee rinses to darken? I don't know about castor oil either.

Results!
So I don't have pictures of myself with my recent dye job, but that's because it looked horrible and if anything made my hair darker than the before color.

Here is a picture of my hair while I only used lemon and chamomile to lighten (therefore it's very brassy and yellow).
Before
http://i809.photobucket.com/albums/zz17/Blaircorneliabass/188479_1584094242472_1239230125_31322554_3345431_n .jpg

and one that shows the roots more, when I used Sun In, no lemon or chamomile
http://i809.photobucket.com/albums/zz17/Blaircorneliabass/2323232327Ffp7338nu336354334245454425258ot1lsi.jpg

After: 1st treatment
http://i809.photobucket.com/albums/zz17/Blaircorneliabass/2323232327Ffp4nu6957632258WSNRCG3449464335nu0mrj-1.jpg

3rd treatment
http://i809.photobucket.com/albums/zz17/Blaircorneliabass/2323232327Ffp4nu6957632258WSNRCG344946975335nu0mrj-2.jpg

http://i809.photobucket.com/albums/zz17/Blaircorneliabass/2323232327Ffpnu6957632258WSNRCG344946969335nu0mrj. jpg

http://i809.photobucket.com/albums/zz17/Blaircorneliabass/2323232327Ffp9nu6957632258WSNRCG34494668335nu0mrj-1.jpg

Ignore the weird orange spot in the new pics, that's either because that part was still wet or something the camera did, it doesn't look that way in real life. I'm incredibly happy with these results, the color looks so natural and my hair just keeps getting in better condition with each time. Now I can keep the light color I want and the health of my hair. :)

Great results! I am glad for you that you are so pleased with the conditioning too. Great colour!

For conditioning only with no possibility of lightening, honey is best microwaved for 30 seconds to under 1 minute.

You are right. Heat damages the peroxide level. Microwaving destroys the enzyme that generates peroxide, when honey is diluted with a liquid that contains water.

ktani
March 19th, 2011, 07:54 AM
Castor oil has been reported to darken hair. Here are several references to that including with the use of shampoo bars. It depends on how much castor oil is present in one, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=160719&postcount=1311.

How many honey lightening treatments one may need depends on the starting colour, the recipe and the honey used.

The new dilution recipes are in the first post of this thread. The basic recipe is 1 tablespoon honey to 6 tablespoons distilled water. Spices recommended after patch testing are ground cinnamon and cardamom, 1 to 2 tablespoons maximum (in total) for a recipe. The oils recommended are 1 tablespoon maximum or less per recipe of either coconut oil or extra virgin olive oil, which can have twice the peroxide level of coconut oil if pure evoo.

None of the recipe ingrediends have in general, a higher peroxide level than that of a decent honey.

gallows_gallery
April 6th, 2011, 11:42 PM
Hi everyone,

I haven't posted here in FOREVER because I have been graduating from Uni and going overseas!

Anyway I live in Western Australia, the home of Jarrah Honey which has very high peroxide levels. I used it myself and significantly lightened my chemical-black hair in about seven treatments.

In the past, a few people here have expressed interest in having me send them Jarrah Honey.

If people are still interested and genuinely willing to buy some, including covering postage, I was thinking I could put a few jars on ebay. If I get enough expressions of interest I will go and buy some, list them, and post my ebay username on here.

Let me know!

Phalaenopsis
April 18th, 2011, 06:02 AM
I'm going to try it again. Following HuggyBears recipe, but I can't use the same brand of honey. I could buy white clover honey, but that's solid honey. I could also buy acacia honey. Weird that no one has tried the kind with acacia, you can buy it here everywhere and it's very runny.

weja
April 22nd, 2011, 10:48 AM
i was wondering if anyone saw any differences in the skin of their face after lightening with honey, or if it's just my imagination O:

i've done three lightening treatments over the past week or two and my skin has been looking and feeling MUCH better. the first treatment was with cinnamon and evoo but the second and third were sans cinnamon and only evoo with the honey/water parts, as my skin is pretty sensitive and was easily irritated by the spice. but honestly, i've had acne for just about ten years now and although it's alot more mild now i still get breakouts and have a bit of scarring. i swear the honey is helping with this, since my skin is much softer and SO clear right now and nothing else has changed in my life that could effect my skin in such a way. i didn't even consider the honey until i realized it was definitely getting a good coat going from dripping down my face for the hour i wait with my hair drenched with the stuff. (:

so yeah, anyone else see similar results?

Finchen
April 23rd, 2011, 05:51 PM
i was wondering if anyone saw any differences in the skin of their face after lightening with honey, or if it's just my imagination O:

i've done three lightening treatments over the past week or two and my skin has been looking and feeling MUCH better. the first treatment was with cinnamon and evoo but the second and third were sans cinnamon and only evoo with the honey/water parts, as my skin is pretty sensitive and was easily irritated by the spice. but honestly, i've had acne for just about ten years now and although it's alot more mild now i still get breakouts and have a bit of scarring. i swear the honey is helping with this, since my skin is much softer and SO clear right now and nothing else has changed in my life that could effect my skin in such a way. i didn't even consider the honey until i realized it was definitely getting a good coat going from dripping down my face for the hour i wait with my hair drenched with the stuff. (:

This sounds interesting. I have read that peroxide can help with acne and as we all know: honey + water makes peroxide. I will try this as a face mask today and in the next couple of days since I have so many pimples right now which are driving me crazy. :( Thanks for the tip weja.

louisemg82
April 23rd, 2011, 10:46 PM

Honey is a natural antiseptic/antibiotic and has a long history of helping clear up acne. Glad it's worked for you :)

Phalaenopsis
April 28th, 2011, 03:45 AM
My results: one treatment honey conditioner, my mother really noticed that it got lighter, then I did two treatmens following HuggyBear's recipe.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a6/naturalgirl/DSCI0412-1-1-1.jpg

My hair today, I was shocked about how the light reflected when I got it out of my braid:
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a6/naturalgirl/DSCI0423.jpg

A picture before the bleaching and with the same light:
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a6/naturalgirl/waterval-1.jpg

ktani
April 29th, 2011, 11:08 AM
My results: one treatment honey conditioner, my mother really noticed that it got lighter, then I did two treatmens following HuggyBear's recipe.

My hair today, I was shocked about how the light reflected when I got it out of my braid:

Great results! I am glad that you are so pleased.

HuggyBear's reports

HuggyBear - after 4 treatments on natural medium dark blonde hair - http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=1216286&postcount=4357, on the condition of her hair - http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=1216320&postcount=4359, recipe and method and honey used - http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=1216379&postcount=4361, hair colour, and location, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=1216456&postcount=4363, after 5 treatments, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=1225586&postcount=4377

jayleah
May 2nd, 2011, 12:55 AM
:couch: Hi, I'm new here! I have hair that is soft black but definitely black. I want to change it to a dark brown (all over, not just highlights). Can I achieve this with a honey mixture? or by using another method that does not involve stripping the color or bleaching? My hair is kinda thick, wavy in the front with spirals in the back and lots of shrinkage (about 9 inches worth).

HuggyBear
May 2nd, 2011, 01:45 AM

Phalaenopsis - Your hair looks beautiful! I'm so glad the honey lightening is working so well for you.
Yay for honey and double Yay for ktani, our honey goddess!!! :cheese:

Laurenji
May 11th, 2011, 10:35 AM
I definitely want to try this. I just need to buy some distilled water and I think I'll be set. The honey we have isn't on the approved list, but I'll experiment with it, and if it works, I'll let everyone know.

Phalaenopsis
May 18th, 2011, 01:43 AM
I must add, my hair did get dry because of the honey lighting. Still trying to fix it, found a lot of splits, and my hair seems to soak anything up and become dry again. I have never had dry hair like this before. My fine hairs couldn't take it.

So just a warning that it can be damaging. I made the mistake of not strand testing and the damage only became really visible after a couple of days, when the coconut oil was completely washed out.

Strand test people! Hating myself for it 'cause now I have years of growing out the damage ahead of me :rolleyes:

TheBluffs
May 18th, 2011, 06:37 PM
Does anymore know the long term effects of honey lightening? By long term, I mean if the roots later have to be done.

Java
May 20th, 2011, 03:11 AM
I must add, my hair did get dry because of the honey lighting. Still trying to fix it, found a lot of splits, and my hair seems to soak anything up and become dry again. I have never had dry hair like this before. My fine hairs couldn't take it.

So just a warning that it can be damaging. I made the mistake of not strand testing and the damage only became really visible after a couple of days, when the coconut oil was completely washed out.

Strand test people! Hating myself for it 'cause now I have years of growing out the damage ahead of me :rolleyes:

I am curious, are you in a dry climate? I have been hearing that aloe and honey are going to make moisture available to whatever is driest. In the case of hair versus dry weather, dry weather will get the moisture from your hair, if I understand correctly. So, if I am to use any humectant, be it honey or aloe, I aim to only use it when it is raining outside, so that my hair is sure to get the moisture instead of the other way around. If I am wrong, I would love to know, but this information, as far as I can tell, could have affected your result.
Wish you the best of luck on getting your hair healthy again!

As for honey treatment, I have tried it 1 and a quarter times, and when I get full results will provide pictures. Used about 2 tablespoons honey, distilled water, and coconut oil as well as cinnamon leaf essential oil on hair that had leave in and oils from earlier. Shaken up in a spray bottle, it was the cleanest and quickest hair application I have done I think ever.
This lightening is on henna/indigo/amla treated hair, thats over chemical dye, so any advice would be appreciated. I plan on using baking soda to remove as much indigo as possible.
Thank you for this thread!

Phalaenopsis
May 20th, 2011, 03:15 AM
@Java: no, I live in Belgium, lots of rain and always a very moist climate. And I've never had this kind of dry hair before.

ktani
May 21st, 2011, 07:46 AM

It sounds like honey residue which I believe is beeswax particles. Not all honeys leave that kind of residue behind but there are those that do so. This kind of dryness has been reported before and can be remedied by shampooing, sometimes with several shampooings, followed by conditioning.

There was one report where the residue returned after using a different honey that was not compatible with the shampoo or conditioning products used.

No damage has been reported from the lightening of honey lightening, when it has been successful.

Stressing hair (combing) that has honey residue on it has been reported and caused the kind of damage you wrote about. Honey residue can leave hair dry and "crunchy" I am sorry to hear this has been a problem for you.

CastaDiva
May 21st, 2011, 08:09 AM
Hi, I have a question; when the honey-mix has stayed on for the recommended hour, what do I do then? Should I just squeeze out the remaining water and wait for the hair to dry, rinse the hair with just water or use shampoo and rinse?

Phalaenopsis
May 21st, 2011, 08:22 AM
It sounds like honey residue which I believe is beeswax particles. Not all honeys leave that kind of residue behind but there are those that do so. This kind of dryness has been reported before and can be remedied by shampooing, sometimes with several shampooings, followed by conditioning.

There was one report where the residue returned after using a different honey that was not compatible with the shampoo or conditioning products used.

No damage has been reported from the lightening of honey lightening, when it has been successful.

Stressing hair (combing) that has honey residue on it has been reported and caused the kind of damage you wrote about. Honey residue can leave hair dry and "crunchy" I am sorry to hear this has been a problem for you.

My hair was shampood several times. My hair is just like damaged, bleached hair now. It IS bleached in fact, peroxide is peroxide... coming from honey or from a bottle...

My hair is known for being extremely sensitive and fragile. So I'm not saying it will happen to everybody, but it did to me. It's also, the honey lighting really had an effect, so probably a lot of peroxide came free in my concoction. I have a lot of red tones in my hair now.

I really wish it was just residu, but I'm afraid it's not :(

Sundial
May 21st, 2011, 11:53 AM
Just wondering too, will honey in SMTs cause an issue if the conditioners contain water? Because it seems that honey lightening happens when honey is mixed with water (albeit distilled), so I was wondering if SMTs will also cause the same damage if you experienced damage from honey lightening

Java
May 21st, 2011, 10:49 PM
@Phalaenopsis Thats really too bad. I appreciate you brining to attention, as I likely needed a reality check on my goals. I am interested in going from very dark to pretty light if I can get it there. I believe I would be unconcerned if I had not heard your story. I am going to be much more cautious now, thank you.
Again best of luck I hope your hair will be alright.

Charlotte:)
May 22nd, 2011, 12:35 AM
Since heat apparently destroys the peroxide in honey, wouldn't you need to use raw honey in order for it to lighten your hair? Most honey sold in stores is processed has therefore been pasteurized at very high temperatures.

Jorchet
May 22nd, 2011, 08:02 AM
The new dilution recipes are in the first post of this thread. The basic recipe is 1 tablespoon honey to 6 tablespoons distilled water. Spices recommended after patch testing are ground cinnamon and cardamom, 1 to 2 tablespoons maximum (in total) for a recipe. The oils recommended are 1 tablespoon maximum or less per recipe of either coconut oil or extra virgin olive oil, which can have twice the peroxide level of coconut oil if pure evoo.

None of the recipe ingrediends have in general, a higher peroxide level than that of a decent honey.

Noob question...again :rolleyes: lol How do I do a testing patch for the cinnamon? Do I have to try it with the honey+water+cinnamon mix or just with water?

ktani
May 22nd, 2011, 08:20 AM
Noob question...again :rolleyes: lol How do I do a testing patch for the cinnamon? Do I have to try it with the honey+water+cinnamon mix or just with water?

A standard patch test for allergies is to put a small amount of a substance on one's inner upper arm covered, for 24 hours.

However, there can be 2 problems testing cinnamon this way. One, the oil in cinnamon is very strong and one may get irritation. Two, people have reported no problems with the recommended recipe amount of cinnamon used in the above recipe (for 2 tablespoons cinnamon, I recommend a larger recipe amount like double the basic one quoted) and red, irritated, painful skin when the amount of cinnamon has been increased.

Try testing the full recipe as you would use it on your hair, which is a great idea. That way you should have close to the effect of how it will be on your scalp.

Jorchet
May 22nd, 2011, 08:50 AM
Thanks! Will do!

Mesmerise
May 23rd, 2011, 06:43 AM
My hair was shampood several times. My hair is just like damaged, bleached hair now. It IS bleached in fact, peroxide is peroxide... coming from honey or from a bottle...

My hair is known for being extremely sensitive and fragile. So I'm not saying it will happen to everybody, but it did to me. It's also, the honey lighting really had an effect, so probably a lot of peroxide came free in my concoction. I have a lot of red tones in my hair now.

I really wish it was just residu, but I'm afraid it's not :(

This is true! Even if you lighten your hair using the most gentle method possible, you are STILL bleaching it, as it's the peroxide in honey that causes the hair to lighten. The more you lighten, the more damage will occur. For some people this will be very, very minimal, while others will notice damage...and over time that damage may get a lot worse too (hair that was honey lightened 4 years ago will show a lot more damage than now, even if the hair now looks fine).

I agree that it's really important to report experiences good and bad from methods such as this one! It is soooo tempting to believe that there are ways of lightening hair with no damage at all, but for some people I think this isn't the reality, and for those who are growing their hair to extreme lengths, it's especially important to remember that even very slight (unnoticeable) damage at the roots now may become much greater damage several years down the track!

swti
May 23rd, 2011, 11:49 AM
I have been wanting to try honey to lighten my hair very slightly (0.5-1 shades) but am concerned with damage. Phalaenopsis, may I kindly ask what kind of honey you used, the dilution and how long you left the mixture on? Also does anyone who noticed lightening have any problems with re-growth (roots)? Thanks in advance!

Springlets
May 23rd, 2011, 09:35 PM
Just wanting to say... I don't mean to discount Phalaenopsis' experience at all, just sharing mine. I've done a lot of honey treatments over the past 5 months (I don't really know the number but somewhere between 15-20). I'm growing out my natural hair, but most of my length is dyed, and is rather damaged. But, with all of my honey treatments that I've done, I've never noticed any increase in damage- if anything it leaves my hair in better condition. By the way, my hair is not the kind that can take a lot of damage from dye and still look good, so I can attest that the lightening you get from honey is different from conventional bleach and peroxide.

It's also taken my natural hair color (a medium-dark ash blonde) to an extra light blonde that matches almost completely with my dyed lengths. Honey has been great for me.

ETA: again, I'm not saying it will be non-damaging for everyone, but not everyone's hair will be damaged by it either. I'm sure it depends on the person's hair.