PDA

View Full Version : Very upset at hairdressers "dusting"

HaIr_freak
October 27th, 2018, 09:39 AM
I don't know if this is in the right section but every time I tried to post in "the main" instead of a text box I would get an articles page.
ANYWAY- lol
onwards...
I am very upset :(
I had almost tailbone length hair and I went for a trim to the hairdresser and I SPECIFICALLY told her MANY MANY times to PLEASE not cut length I just wanted my ends dusted. She said...no worries! I wont cut that much don't worry you'll keep your lovely long hair.

THEN

Once my hair was dry and i look in the mirror it is a little bit below my bra line which is where it was MONTHS AGO.

So I try to trim it so it doesnt mess up and i go to the hair dressers because I don't want my hair to be uneven. but I just don't trust them anymore! Now I have to grow it out again! it was so nice- and my bf always likes the length...he still likes it but ugh I want it longer!!

How can I cut the ends and have it remain even without stupid hairdressers messing up my progress!

lapushka
October 27th, 2018, 11:07 AM
There is a reason why a lot of us here self-trim.

You may want to look at Feye's self-trimming instructions, here:
https://feyeselftrim.livejournal.com/

You never get an uneven cut that way; you just have to trust yourself (not the hairdressers). They honestly don't do a better job on a blunt cut than you can.

It's a common story here for newbies, I'm sad to say. :flower:

HaIr_freak
October 27th, 2018, 11:56 AM

You never get an uneven cut that way; you just have to trust yourself (not the hairdressers). They honestly don't do a better job on a blunt cut than you can.

It's a common story here for newbies, I'm sad to say. :flower:

Thank you SO much Lapushka! Last time I ever go to the hairdressers! Took me almost 6 months to get to tailbone and she literally chopped it off. :(

Well, thankfully hair grows....just ah... :(

Caraid♫
October 27th, 2018, 12:06 PM
wow! I can understand a hairdresser maybe interpreting dusting as an inch or two, but to cut from tailbone to around BSL as a "dusting" is unfathomable! Could you tell how much she was cutting while the cut was happening??
Feye's self trimming method that Lapushka posted is great and is what I use too :)

nycelle
October 27th, 2018, 12:13 PM
That's crazy.. tailbone to BSL is what? at least 5" on a person? How the hell does someone misunderstand that. Please tell me you didn't pay for this and you spoke with the salons owner. That stylist needs her license revoked.

Bill D.
October 27th, 2018, 01:47 PM
That's crazy.. tailbone to BSL is what? at least 5" on a person?

The length will vary greatly depending on how tall and especially on how long-waisted a person is. I'm somewhat tall and unusually long-waisted (my sister was similar and had a hard time finding dresses that fit well). Of course I don't wear bras, but I just measured and on me the distance is easily 12 inches or more.

spidermom
October 27th, 2018, 02:08 PM

You never get an uneven cut that way

I beg to differ. I tried Feyes method several times, and it was ALWAYS uneven, sometimes by as much as an inch slanting from one side to the other across the back. I accept full responsibility for failing to make Feyes method work for me, but I'm not sure what I was doing wrong other than possibly failing to account for the fact that my hair often grows faster on one side than the other.

I developed my own method for a length trim, although judging by YouTube, a number of other people developed the same method on their own. I would part my hair down the middle, then pull half my length in front of each shoulder lllOlll (the circle is the head).. I'd comb it all evenly forward and make a ponytail in front of my neck \\\O///. I'd comb the ponytail straight down so that all the kinks and tangles were smoothed, then close a book over the length, and slide it toward the bottom. When only the amount that I wanted to cut was protruding from the bottom of the book, I'd stop and use the book as a straight edge to cut the hair (the CreaClip works on a similar principle.) The result would be a subtle U shape when combed down in the back.

lapushka
October 27th, 2018, 02:36 PM
I beg to differ. I tried Feyes method several times, and it was ALWAYS uneven, sometimes by as much as an inch slanting from one side to the other across the back. I accept full responsibility for failing to make Feyes method work for me, but I'm not sure what I was doing wrong other than possibly failing to account for the fact that my hair often grows faster on one side than the other.

I developed my own method for a length trim, although judging by YouTube, a number of other people developed the same method on their own. I would part my hair down the middle, then pull half my length in front of each shoulder lllOlll (the circle is the head).. I'd comb it all evenly forward and make a ponytail in front of my neck \\\O///. I'd comb the ponytail straight down so that all the kinks and tangles were smoothed, then close a book over the length, and slide it toward the bottom. When only the amount that I wanted to cut was protruding from the bottom of the book, I'd stop and use the book as a straight edge to cut the hair (the CreaClip works on a similar principle.) The result would be a subtle U shape when combed down in the back.

For me whenever I used it, it was always even, and I think I used it about 4/5 times (blunt and U).

But your method seems to work for a lot of people, and is truly valid!

Cg
October 27th, 2018, 02:37 PM

I use Feye's and have for years, always get a nice even trim. My hair grows more or less evenly though, so that's perhaps why I've never had a problem with it. Also I trim every 6 weeks, so the hair doesn't have time to get really out of whack.

MusicalSpoons
October 27th, 2018, 02:53 PM
Argh, that sounds beyond frustrating!! I'm so sorry that happened to you; hopefully learning to self-trim will be something positive to come from it.

I'm almost certainly going to be using your method when I eventually start trimming. This might be a stupid question but do you use the book parallel or perpendicular to your body? In my mind I've always seen it perpendicular but I don't know if that's just me being weird, or if it is in fact the way to do it!

lapushka
October 27th, 2018, 03:11 PM
Argh, that sounds beyond frustrating!! I'm so sorry that happened to you; hopefully learning to self-trim will be something positive to come from it.

I'm almost certainly going to be using your method when I eventually start trimming. This might be a stupid question but do you use the book parallel or perpendicular to your body? In my mind I've always seen it perpendicular but I don't know if that's just me being weird, or if it is in fact the way to do it!

There's only one way to hold that book in my mind, because the ends have to be able to stick out on the bottom. ;)

Sarahlabyrinth
October 27th, 2018, 04:09 PM
I always use Spidermom's method myself. As I slide the book down it is vertical, but I hold it horizontally for the actual trimming part.

LillyBlossom
October 27th, 2018, 04:52 PM

What a great idea, I'm totally trying that on my next micro trim, thanks for posting :)

MusicalSpoons
October 27th, 2018, 05:59 PM
There's only one way to hold that book in my mind, because the ends have to be able to stick out on the bottom. ;)

I always use Spidermom's method myself. As I slide the book down it is vertical, but I hold it horizontally for the actual trimming part.

Oh, haha, I knew horizontal/vertical :lol: what I meant was, do you close it over the ponytail from the side (so the top of the book is sort of in line with ear to ear) or from the front/back of the ponytail (so the book is sticking out from underneath your chin, parallel with your nose)? I don't know if that made my question any clearer :confused:

spidermom
October 27th, 2018, 06:05 PM

I hold the book parallel to my body and keep the top of it level as I slide it down the length, then when I'm ready to cut, I clamp it hard to keep the hair in place and turn the bottom upward so I can clearly see the ends. It's probably at a 45 to 65 degree angle when I cut the ends that are protruding from the bottom. If I have the slightest suspicion that something has gone wonky (the book doesn't look level, the hair looks bunched up at one side, etc), I start over. When I make the ponytail, the sides closest to my face end up in the center \O/, and the back ends up at the outer sides of the ponytail \\O//. I hope all that is clear.

MusicalSpoons
October 27th, 2018, 06:14 PM
I hold the book parallel to my body and keep the top of it level as I slide it down the length, then when I'm ready to cut, I clamp it hard to keep the hair in place and turn the bottom upward so I can clearly see the ends. It's probably at a 45 to 65 degree angle when I cut the ends that are protruding from the bottom. If I have the slightest suspicion that something has gone wonky (the book doesn't look level, the hair looks bunched up at one side, etc), I start over. When I make the ponytail, the sides closest to my face end up in the center \O/, and the back ends up at the outer sides of the ponytail \\O//. I hope all that is clear.

Brilliant, that's definitely clarified a couple of things for me :thumbsup: thanks!

spidermom
October 27th, 2018, 06:22 PM
By the way haIr_freak, I forgot to say how absolutely crummy it is that you didn't get the salon service that you wanted. I've learned that you have to closely watch what the hair stylist is doing the first time or two that you see her or him, and make sure you communicate very clearly. Example, instead of "dust the ends", it might have worked better to say "trim off 1/2 inch and not a millimeter more!" But in your own words, of course. Even then sometimes they think they know better than you do what needs to happen. I think some of them get possessive about the result. What is on your head reflects on the hair stylist, and if he or she thinks what you asked for will look bad, then she or he might decide to make it look better. Since we all have different opinions about what looks good, this can only result in trouble. Stylists really need to watch that! If you see a stylist again, ask to see exactly how much is being cut, and correct it if needed "no, cut half that amount", etc. Oh, and if you want a blunt cut (no layers), make sure the stylist combs your hair straight down and cuts only the bottom. If the hair is pulled out at an angle, that will result in layers.

Hope that helped.

Frazzled
October 28th, 2018, 03:18 AM
Some things you just have to do yourself.

rags
October 28th, 2018, 03:23 AM
I"m so sorry that happened to you! Mine was from hip to BSL, same scenario, a few years ago. It can be infuriating (and for me, a lot longer than a few months growth! I think it was a year to get back).

I was also very assertive, to the point that I made her show me an inch on her comb, and on my hair too, and made sure she knew that was what I wanted. She turned me around so that I couldn't see (I'll never do that one again!), and cut it off. Her justification was "that hair was dead and needed to go. It looks so much better now!"

I'm sorry.. Like the others, I do recommend self trims!

Laura1986
October 28th, 2018, 05:15 AM
HaIr_freak I feel sorry that this has happened.

Luckily there is a wonderful solution which is self trimming as all others have pointed out :flower:

I"m so sorry that happened to you! Mine was from hip to BSL, same scenario, a few years ago. It can be infuriating (and for me, a lot longer than a few months growth! I think it was a year to get back).

I was also very assertive, to the point that I made her show me an inch on her comb, and on my hair too, and made sure she knew that was what I wanted. She turned me around so that I couldn't see (I'll never do that one again!), and cut it off. Her justification was "that hair was dead and needed to go. It looks so much better now!"

:agape:

Wait what?

I thought my problem with hairdressers was mostly that I haven't been assertive enough.

MusicalSpoons
October 28th, 2018, 07:04 AM

Um, yeah ... the whole lot is technically dead. If we cut off every bit of dead hair we'd all be bald :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :brickwall But oh my goodness, that must have been absolutely infuriating - and I'm pretty sure that's totally unprofessional, to go directly against your expressed and very clear instructions. The justification of 'I know best' is simply not acceptable!

Amongst chronically ill people it's becoming better known that professionals and patients tend to mean and interpret the same words differently. Maybe we need a hairdresser-longhair dictionary? (Or just education for hairdressers to teach them what causes the ends to feel what they call 'dead' and how to help rather than chopping off.)

Alissalocks
October 28th, 2018, 10:49 AM
It's the worst feeling, Ive had it happen also and he took my length from hip to BSL when I asked for "a trim". I'm so sorry :flower:

Dark40
October 28th, 2018, 08:51 PM
I don't know if this is in the right section but every time I tried to post in "the main" instead of a text box I would get an articles page.
ANYWAY- lol
onwards...
I am very upset :(
I had almost tailbone length hair and I went for a trim to the hairdresser and I SPECIFICALLY told her MANY MANY times to PLEASE not cut length I just wanted my ends dusted. She said...no worries! I wont cut that much don't worry you'll keep your lovely long hair.

THEN

Once my hair was dry and i look in the mirror it is a little bit below my bra line which is where it was MONTHS AGO.

So I try to trim it so it doesnt mess up and i go to the hair dressers because I don't want my hair to be uneven. but I just don't trust them anymore! Now I have to grow it out again! it was so nice- and my bf always likes the length...he still likes it but ugh I want it longer!!

How can I cut the ends and have it remain even without stupid hairdressers messing up my progress!

I totally agree with nycelle. That hairdresser needs her license revoked for cutting off that much hair. from BSL to Tailbone Length is 5" on a person. That's why I don't trust going to salons or hairdressers these days. Because, all they wanna do is cut, cut, and cut. I would suggest if you want to go to a salon go to one that only specializes in long hair care. Or, here at the LHC we do self-trims. I trim my own hair, and that is not that much of too often. I only trim my hair whenever it is needed. I'm so very sorry that happened to you. :( Now, you've gotta take the time to grow it all back out again. But it will grow back in no time. Don't worry.

illicitlizard
October 28th, 2018, 08:58 PM
I totally agree with nycelle. That hairdresser needs her license revoked for cutting off that much hair. from BSL to Tailbone Length is 5" on a person. That's why I don't trust going to salons or hairdressers these days. Because, all they wanna do is cut, cut, and cut. I would suggest if you want to go to a salon go to one that only specializes in long hair care. Or, here at the LHC we do self-trims. I trim my own hair, and that is not that much of too often. I only trim my hair whenever it is needed. I'm so very sorry that happened to you. :( Now, you've gotta take the time to grow it all back out again. But it will grow back in no time. Don't worry.

Cut cut cut and not to mention distaste for any hairstyle that isn't layered. Some people want a blunt cut, leave them the heck alone!
OP I'm sorry that happened to you, it will grow back in time! Hopefully you'll find a way to get your hair cut by someone who respects your wishes (even if that person has to be you!).

Dark40
October 28th, 2018, 09:05 PM
Cut cut cut and not to mention distaste for any hairstyle that isn't layered. Some people want a blunt cut, leave them the heck alone!
OP I'm sorry that happened to you, it will grow back in time! Hopefully you'll find a way to get your hair cut by someone who respects your wishes (even if that person has to be you!).

Yes, I agree! It's really hard trying to find someone you trust to cut your hair without messing it up.

Dark40
October 28th, 2018, 09:49 PM
I had a friend in high school that had hip length hair, and she got her hair cut from that length on up to BSL but within a 3 month period her hair had grown all of the way back down to her hips again. I'm not sure if she cut it herself or if she went to a hairdresser but she has some really fast-growing hair! lol

HaIr_freak
October 29th, 2018, 11:55 AM
Thank you everyone for your supportive comments! I wasn't wearing my glasses while she was cutting so I couldn't see but I remember thinking when I left, it seemed like a lot! ( To be honest I kind of went into denial haha- I was like...ohhh that hair must have bee swept up from someone else!) I ran home and when I saw it I was really angry. I called them, and she said the same thing- that it was "too dead" and that it was for styling purposes. I think I'm going to attempt to do the self-trimming for a little bit, and if I see it is too uneven I may just attempt no trimming. I'm determined to have my hair back! :D Hopefully it will grow fast!

But yes, beware of hairdressers...they justify everything with saying "its dead" or " for styling purposes" -_-

lapushka
October 30th, 2018, 08:11 AM
We all have very darn dead hair judging by hairdresser standards. :lol:

elfynity
October 30th, 2018, 09:06 AM
Sorry Hair_freak, it is always so sad to hear these stories, it always makes me angry that so many hairdressers just don't acknowlege what you said. They pretty much ruin it for me for the whole industry sadly. Please do try the self trimming method or try another hairdresser that has long hair themselves and bring a friend along to stand behind you and 'show' the hairdresser how big an inch is.