PDA

View Full Version : From 32 inches to 32 inches

M.McDonough
October 26th, 2018, 07:11 PM
Hi there

So I trimmed my hair about 5 months ago back to 32 inches. I just measured my hair 5 months later and it's still 32..What the hell is that? Did that happen to anyone? By the way I don't heat style it.

Dark40
October 26th, 2018, 08:47 PM
No, that's never happened to me but you might be at your terminal length. Or, you might be going through a "stall."

Andthetalltrees
October 26th, 2018, 10:43 PM
5 months is awhile, but I've definitely had months where my hair has stopped or grew very slowly then it started back up normally. Or it's possible it got trimmed a little shorter than you thought

illicitlizard
October 26th, 2018, 11:33 PM
Hmm the most likely culprit is probably some kind of human error with measuring, unless you're going through a long stall? 5 months is a while to not grow at all for no reason though, very bizarre.

leayellena
October 27th, 2018, 01:13 AM
did u let a hairdresser cut your hair? when I visited saloons years ago I only had pixies and long pixies because my hair "is too fine and won't grow past a certain length" (which is the length that fits your face shape and all that jazz...) since I microtrim I got from mbl to tbl in 2 years.

Hi there

So I trimmed my hair about 5 months ago back to 32 inches.how long was your hair before u cut back to 32 inches? I just measured my hair 5 months later and it's still 32 if u already cut 5" 5 months ago u already grew what u cut 5 months ago. hope I make sence. that's why micro trims rule..What the hell is that? Did that happen to anyone? By the way I don't heat style it.

Lady Stardust
October 27th, 2018, 03:37 AM
Could it be shrinkage? Maybe your curls are very happy and are hanging out higher up!

M.McDonough
October 27th, 2018, 07:36 AM
Could it be stress? Does stress disrupt growth cycle? In other words, does stop hair growth?

Sarahlabyrinth
October 27th, 2018, 07:37 AM
Could it be stress? Does stress disrupt growth cycle? In other words, does stop hair growth?

It can do, yes.

lapushka
October 27th, 2018, 07:55 AM

For some it might; never experienced it myself though.

What's been mentioned certainly does make sense, error in measuring, hairdresser (I would stop going to them) cutting too much off and you implicitly trusting they "only" cut 5 inches (and not re-measuring).

M.McDonough
October 27th, 2018, 07:57 AM
For some it might; never experienced it myself though.

What's been mentioned certainly does make sense, error in measuring, hairdresser (I would stop going to them) cutting too much off and you implicitly trusting they "only" cut 5 inches (and not re-measuring).

I cut my hair myself, I never went to a hairdresser. I guess I'll never know until I measure it again 4 months later

spidermom
October 27th, 2018, 09:12 AM
I think there was an error in measuring.

lapushka
October 27th, 2018, 09:13 AM
I cut my hair myself, I never went to a hairdresser. I guess I'll never know until I measure it again 4 months later

To cut off 5 inches is more than just a trim, that's a proper "cut" as that's almost a year's worth of growth you cut off.

I would just wait and see what happens and not cut more in the mean time. Maybe join the no-trimming challenge for 2019?

M.McDonough
October 27th, 2018, 10:31 AM
To cut off 5 inches is more than just a trim, that's a proper "cut" as that's almost a year's worth of growth you cut off.

I would just wait and see what happens and not cut more in the mean time. Maybe join the no-trimming challenge for 2019?

How do you know I cut 5 inches?

lapushka
October 27th, 2018, 11:02 AM
How do you know I cut 5 inches?

You said that, right? No? Or, am I mistaken?

ETA sorry my bad, you said you trimmed 5 months ago, not 5 inches. Sorry!

akurah
October 27th, 2018, 11:41 AM
I think there was an error in measuring.

I agree. Those kinds errors are easy to make, and if the error is in the older measurements, there’s not much to be done.

enfys
October 27th, 2018, 07:00 PM
I don't think I've seen mention of possible breakage - do you wear your hair in a protective style all or most of the time? By 32" your ends are already old and fragile, and breakage can masquerade as stalled growth.

Otherwise, stress can cause a stall for a few months and of course errors in measuring are easily done. With a combination of all three, some people even measure shorter after a number of months!

Hexen
October 27th, 2018, 11:42 PM
did u let a hairdresser cut your hair? when I visited saloons years ago I only had pixies and long pixies because my hair "is too fine and won't grow past a certain length" (which is the length that fits your face shape and all that jazz...) since I microtrim I got from mbl to tbl in 2 years.

Years ago? Like about 130?
I knew it! A time traveler.
Subtle comment there....but not subtle enough... :D

leayellena
October 28th, 2018, 02:28 AM
Years ago? Like about 130?
I knew it! A time traveler.
Subtle comment there....but not subtle enough... :D

last hair saloon visit was summer 2013.

Micayla47
October 28th, 2018, 02:40 AM
Hi there

So I trimmed my hair about 5 months ago back to 32 inches. I just measured my hair 5 months later and it's still 32..What the hell is that? Did that happen to anyone? By the way I don't heat style it.

This has happened to me at 31-32 inches also. Eventually I grew past it, but now I'm having a big shed and I cut 4 inches off.

Lady Stardust
October 28th, 2018, 02:41 AM
last hair saloon visit was summer 2013.

I think it might be saloon/salon....saloons in the Wild West versus hair salons :)

Sarahlabyrinth
October 28th, 2018, 03:07 AM
A saloon is a public house, or "pub" where people go to drink alcohol, saloons generally refer to "pubs" in the American Wild West from the 19th century :)

Whereas a "salon" is generally understood to be a hairdressing salon.

Frazzled
October 28th, 2018, 03:13 AM
I've been at 30" for almost a year now. I'm doing everything I know how to do, but nothing works. It isn't funny anymore.

Alila
October 28th, 2018, 04:52 AM
My hair stopped growing at 45 inches for two or three months after having grown suuuper slowly for a while.
I examined my habits and singled out my sleeping braid as a possible culprid. I'm a rather active sleeper so I always ended up lying in top of my braid. Not only uncomfortable but also very damaging. (Even though I didnt get any visable damage. No white dots, slit ends or bend hairs)
After changing that up my hair grew normally again.

Maybe there is something similar happeing to you?

M.McDonough
October 28th, 2018, 09:09 AM
This has happened to me at 31-32 inches also. Eventually I grew past it, but now I'm having a big shed and I cut 4 inches off.

I've been at 30" for almost a year now. I'm doing everything I know how to do, but nothing works. It isn't funny anymore.

Man growing out really long hair is a pain in the a$$. I'm starting not to give a sh*t anymore. What's baffling me is my persistent resistance to cut my hair. OCD is killing me. Over the years I had my hair long on and off. But I've never had it this long and I've never been so obsessed with it. Sorry about the profanity, just wanted to get it off my chest.

lapushka
October 28th, 2018, 10:45 AM
Man growing out really long hair is a pain in the a$$. I'm starting not to give a sh*t anymore. What's baffling me is my persistent resistance to cut my hair. OCD is killing me. Over the years I had my hair long on and off. But I've never had it this long and I've never been so obsessed with it. Sorry about the profanity, just wanted to get it off my chest.

Is there a reason why you are so obsessed with it. After all, when it was shorter and you weren't this obsessed, the added length should actually put your mind more at ease, right?

Maybe talk to your therapist? If it is OCD, it's not about the hair at all and you may need some help. I hope I didn't say anything wrong as I am honestly just trying to help. :flower:

M.McDonough
October 28th, 2018, 12:08 PM
Is there a reason why you are so obsessed with it. After all, when it was shorter and you weren't this obsessed, the added length should actually put your mind more at ease, right?

Maybe talk to your therapist? If it is OCD, it's not about the hair at all and you may need some help. I hope I didn't say anything wrong as I am honestly just trying to help. :flower:

Well, quite frankly the idea of losing my hair is kinda freaking my out

lapushka
October 28th, 2018, 03:57 PM
Well, quite frankly the idea of losing my hair is kinda freaking my out

Why would you lose your hair though. Try and stay calm and measure again in a few months' time. Don't stress about it too much. Do measure how we measure here, as that gives consistent results, from the hairline at the forehead over the head, to the back.