PDA

View Full Version : Pictures of my hair, plus questions...

hipmama1970
November 3rd, 2008, 04:16 PM
I updated with a new photo on post #16, let me know what you think!

I wanted to be part of the wet hair thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=14721), so I took some photos today. Then I found an oldie that I took from just after I joined here, but never posted.

So, here's a "just getting started" and a "so far."

August '06
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3054/3001034832_3452ff848c_m.jpg

Today
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3234/3001035484_bbe9cc7d3c.jpg
There are two different levels at the bottom from a failed layering experiment. I may just have that leveled out...

Here are my questions:

1) Would you agree that this is 1b? It looks like the photos in the classifier, but I know that the waves are generally where my hair was bent (ie on my shoulders or behind my ears) while drying. I wondered if that counted.

2) Is this BSL? I'm inclined to think that it's not quite.

3) Does it appear to be in fairly good shape? I haven't been really doing what I should with it all the time, and there is some damage. From where I sit, I can see lots of breaks, etc, but I'm guessing (hoping) it looks OK if you're not actually inside of it looking out?

I'm trying to decide if I want to keep going, or start trimming it here, so I'm reading in here again. You guys know so much and I'm just trying to catch up!

1nuitblanche
November 3rd, 2008, 04:38 PM
Well, I'm not an expert, but here goes!
1) Sure--maybe even 1c.
2) That looks like BSL.
3) Your hair looks like it's in good shape. It doesn't seem to taper too much, it has a fairly even shine... Nicely done!

GlennaGirl
November 3rd, 2008, 04:42 PM
What beautiful hair. I'd say it's maybe an inch above BSL. Just about there. You look between a 1b and a 1c...hard to tell.

Stagecoach
November 3rd, 2008, 04:45 PM
Lovely hair!

I'd say it's a good solid 1b. Defintly not poker straight 1a, but not enough wave for 1c.

It still looks a wee bit short for BSL... but I'm not sure, you could be there!!! :yay:

The condition looks great to me! Very nice thickness and lovely shine.

OhioLisa
November 3rd, 2008, 05:04 PM
Just wanted to say that your hair looks fab! Love the shine! Looks like a lovely 1b to me! ;)

hipmama1970
November 3rd, 2008, 05:06 PM
Wow, you guys are great, and FAST! Thank you :)

cuddledumplin
November 3rd, 2008, 07:39 PM
I'd say 1b as well. Your hair is really pretty. It's so shiny! You could be BSL because that varies from person to person, but I'd say you're definately close.

Shorty89
November 3rd, 2008, 09:11 PM
1- I think it's 1b. It isn't quite wavy enough for a 1c but it isn't 1a for sure.

2- I think you are just shy of BSL. Your hair is looking great by the way!

3- It looks just fine to me!

Anje
November 3rd, 2008, 09:15 PM
1) I'll agree -- it looks like 1b to me. Definitely not 1a, but I think you'd see a few more waves for a 1c.

2) You could probably call it BSL, if you want to go by the top of a bra strap rather than the bottom. (I prefer the bottom, which puts you an inch or so away, but that's because I wear sports-style bras 99% of the time, which moves the top of the strap too high to count.)

3) Your hair looks very nice, and quite undamaged. Good job!

hipmama1970
November 3rd, 2008, 11:15 PM
Thank you again! This is so helpful.

Anje, that's exactly my problem with figuring out if it's BSL or not. I have these big industrial bras, and the straps are really wide (tall?) So, it's definitely past the top of the strap, but not down to the bottom. So, I'll wait until it hits the bottom before I consider it to be BSL. :)

Robbi Dehlinger
November 3rd, 2008, 11:49 PM
Looks wunnerfull and lotsa growth!!!

aisling
November 4th, 2008, 02:54 AM
I think this is too much waviness for 1B if that's natural waves we see and not from buns, ponytails etc. Remember, 1B hair doesn't have visible waves, it's clearly said in the description. 1B just have a body wave and that might flip the ends etc but won't show up as waves in the hair at all. Of course, a proper hairtyping picture is also good to use, if you've brushed/combed, it's hard to say anything for sure.

That said, your hair type and colour is very similar to mine, obviously we share more than just birthday :)

Katze
November 4th, 2008, 03:27 AM
definitely 1c at least, because 1b are only slight body waves. I used to think my hair was straighter than it was and that it only got "bumps" from drying over my shoulders, just as you mention - but those are waves, dear! We seem to have similar hair, though yours is thicker...do you have spiral waves underneath if you air dry?

As for length, it's BSL when you want to call it that. :D

I'm at the same length, and have decided to trim every 2-3 months rather than let the wispiest longest ends actually cover my strap. I'm calling it BSL, but have been at this length for maybe 8 months? Hoping to thicken up as much as I can...I'd love to have a hemline like yours!

hipmama1970
November 4th, 2008, 10:42 AM
Aisling-I did comb it before it dried. I will let it dry without combing and see what it does. I hadn't thought about that.

Katze-No spiral curls, alas :( As far as the hemline, I've had it trimmed about 1 or 2 times per year since I started growing. I was at a bob when I started, so that helped, too.

Thanks again, everyone, I'm learning so much!

Curlsgirl
November 4th, 2008, 01:14 PM
I say 1c, BSL and very beautiful shiny healthy hair!!! :cheese:

hipmama1970
November 5th, 2008, 01:14 PM
When sorting out hairtyping, I hadn't even considered whether I should comb it first or not. I've been showering, then combing my hair since the dawn of time. Aisling said something and I had to think about it for the first time in years!

Today, I skipped combing it, and I do think it makes a difference!

Let me know, now I'm leaning more towards 1c or even into a 2a? I'm so confused! I feel something I've always just known about myself is changing...

Dry after Combing:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3234/3001035484_bbe9cc7d3c.jpg

Dry, No Combing:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3167/3006312070_c0b4fdf0b0.jpg

Thanks to all of your for your help!

aisling
November 5th, 2008, 01:27 PM
Wow, you've got some nice waves there! I'm so not an expert on anything else than straight hair ;) but I think you might have enough waves for 2A. Let's see what others think.

hipmama1970
November 5th, 2008, 05:16 PM
Thanks, Aisling, I was wondering...