PDA

View Full Version : Leave in conditioners

Julescarm
October 23rd, 2018, 08:00 PM
I've discovered leave in conditioners just this year. While I enjoy them it seems to cause build up on my hair. I've been doing deep conditioning and have yet to go buy a clarifying shampoo. My hair ends still get dry and frizzy but not as bad as before. I was curious, though, if leave in conditioner should only be used on wet hair or can it be used on dry?

Dark40
October 23rd, 2018, 08:08 PM
No, leave-in conditioners are to only be used on wet hair. I love leave-in conditioners! I also still end up with frizzy hair too but since the cool weather is coming in I have less frizz, and the products I use helps me with the frizz as well.

curlily
October 23rd, 2018, 09:00 PM
Sometimes I'll wet my hands and dampen my hair a bit, and then apply some leave-in as a refresher.

Julescarm
October 23rd, 2018, 09:46 PM
Awesome. Ok. Good to know. I'm going to try it on my hair ends only as scalp seems good. I did deep conditioner earlier this afternoon and my ends already felt dry a few hours later. I just brushed a very small amount of coconut oil through my hair and BBB for about 45 minutes to make sure it was distributed.

JennGalt
October 24th, 2018, 03:16 AM
I put leave in conditioner on dry hair between washes and it works just fine for me. I just really don’t want to deal with the increased volume, shrinkage, frizz, and tangling that rewetting will bring. Rewetting is actually unhelpful and counterproductive for me unless my hair is dry enough to be brittle. I think you should experiment and see for yourself what works best for YOU.

Joules
October 24th, 2018, 03:51 AM
I do sometimes put a leave-in into dry hair too, if it feels too dry. You can do whatever you want with hair products, as long as you know what's in them and how your hair reacts to it (protein, glycerin, silicone, etc.). You can even use regular washout conditioners as leave-ins!

TreesOfEternity
October 24th, 2018, 04:28 AM
It took some trial and error for me to find a leave in that works for my hair. What I was using make detangling easier but left my hair a little stiff when dry and built up as well.
Now my current one I use on damp and dry hair and it's amazing :heartbeat

ArabellaRose
October 24th, 2018, 05:43 AM
I've been using Loreal Dream Lengths leave in cream for months, both on wet or dry hair (basically apply it every day) and not had any issues. As said, trial and error is the key, what works for one person might not work for another.

lapushka
October 24th, 2018, 06:22 AM
I've discovered leave in conditioners just this year. While I enjoy them it seems to cause build up on my hair. I've been doing deep conditioning and have yet to go buy a clarifying shampoo. My hair ends still get dry and frizzy but not as bad as before. I was curious, though, if leave in conditioner should only be used on wet hair or can it be used on dry?

I would only do this on wet hair, and if you must re-apply, I would gently mist the hair ends, then apply just a pea to coinsize, spread through palms and scrunched in or smoothed over.

Don't over-apply with these things.

If I use a curl cream or leave-in on my ends, I use about 1/2 coinsizes now on FTL. I still used 1 coinsize on classic. So if your hair is shorter use *far* less! It doesn't take a lot of product!

Mademoiselle
October 25th, 2018, 04:11 PM
I always use a few drops of argan oil or almonds (my hair does not accept coconut for almost two years) and a couple of nuts of leave in conditioner on my wet hair (it's a leave in conditioner of aloe vera, without silicones) , this works for me the first day, but the next day my extremes feel dry, I just wet it a little and put a few drops of oil in them.
I have never tried to put more leave in conditioner on my hair between washes, this may help with the tips more than just put oil, I'll try it.

Ylva
October 25th, 2018, 05:32 PM
For me, my hair gets sticky if I use leave-in products on dry hair. But I've heard that some can do that without issues. :)