PDA

View Full Version : Toys/tools for tender heads

SnailFarts
October 22nd, 2018, 09:46 PM
Forgive me if this thread already exists. I guess I'm looking for a sort of comparison between all of the different hair toys that are out there.
I've always had a bit of a hard time pulling my hair back, as it always feels like it is pulling on just a few hairs, and it hurts like crazy. However, I did buy a mini wooden hair fork, and when I can get the tension right on a bun, it distributes the weight a lot better than a pony tail holder. The problem is that sometimes my hair will slip out of the fork. Maybe I just need more practice :)
I am curious about buying spin pins. Or maybe a ficcare type clip. There's so many options!
So, in your experience, what tools distribute weight well, while holding well? Any tender heads out there?
Thanks!

lithostoic
October 22nd, 2018, 10:33 PM
It's quite possible that your hair is at an "awkward length" for the buns you are using. Try the disc bun, it is supposed to hold like a rock and be rather comfortable because it's made with 2 sections.

SnailFarts
October 22nd, 2018, 10:51 PM
It's quite possible that your hair is at an "awkward length" for the buns you are using. Try the disc bun, it is supposed to hold like a rock and be rather comfortable because it's made with 2 sections.

Thanks! I haven't tried that one yet

WyntreBlossom
October 22nd, 2018, 10:56 PM
Thanks! I haven't tried that one yet

Can confirm. After three days of experimenting with a disc bun, it holds really well if you get it right. Typically with a LWB I have to redo my hair 3 -4 times a day. With the disc its only once if that depending on how much I do in a day.

SnailFarts
October 22nd, 2018, 11:03 PM
Can confirm. After three days of experimenting with a disc bun, it holds really well if you get it right. Typically with a LWB I have to redo my hair 3 -4 times a day. With the disc its only once if that depending on how much I do in a day.

That sounds great. I'll definitely play with it tomorrow. Do you hold it with a stick?

Lady Stardust
October 23rd, 2018, 01:26 AM
I can vouch for a disc bun too. I have a very sensitive scalp.

I use a Ketylo stick and it’s very secure and incredibly comfortable. Ketylos have a little corkscrew type bend in the middle and that seems to help with the hold.

Joules
October 23rd, 2018, 02:07 AM
I can wear only spin pins and claw clips. I guess buns can be different, as long as I'm using those things to secure it. I tried sticks, doesn't work on me.

Also, I found that the issue of pulling just a few hairs stems from not brushing your hair properly before making a bun or a braid. For example if you brushed all your hair down and then gathered it higher up on the head. I always need to brush all my hair thoroughly into the position where I wanna make my bun, even if I'm just making a messy one at home. Or if I'm making a braid sometimes I wouldn't brush out all the sections, and wherever there are little tanglies, there will be pulling on individual hairs.

Milady_DeWinter
October 23rd, 2018, 02:43 AM
Quattro forks (https://www.etsy.com/shop/quattro)are so gentle and holds much better than I would have never imagined for metal hairtoys. They don't come out cheap, but for me they worth the price (also consider them a sort or jewelry, like Ficcares)

Corvana
October 23rd, 2018, 02:47 AM
Hold will also occasionally depend on the size of your fork or stick. If you've looked around the swap board you may have seen the acronym "FPL"? That stands for "functional prong length" and that's how long the bit that actually holds your hair is.

I have three forks, only two of which I tend to use. The third is rarely chosen because its full size (FPL+ the rest of the fork, the top bit) is the same length as the other two forks' FPLs. There's less room on the prongs for my bun, so it either slips off and falls out, or I have to put the fork in too tightly to get it to hold. Neither of those are ideal, and the second is incredibly uncomfortable!

So measure your prongs (from where they start to the ends) and see if perhaps they're just too short for you. My hair is ~MBL now (between BSL and waist), and my forks need an FPL of 4" at least for both comfort and a little room to grow. Both of my comfortable ones are at 4.25", and my too-short fork is at 3". Good for half-ups, though!

I know thickness also plays a part, of course. But the FPL is still another thing to check when it comes to comfort and stability!

lapushka
October 23rd, 2018, 02:52 AM
Forgive me if this thread already exists. I guess I'm looking for a sort of comparison between all of the different hair toys that are out there.
I've always had a bit of a hard time pulling my hair back, as it always feels like it is pulling on just a few hairs, and it hurts like crazy. However, I did buy a mini wooden hair fork, and when I can get the tension right on a bun, it distributes the weight a lot better than a pony tail holder. The problem is that sometimes my hair will slip out of the fork. Maybe I just need more practice :)
I am curious about buying spin pins. Or maybe a ficcare type clip. There's so many options!
So, in your experience, what tools distribute weight well, while holding well? Any tender heads out there?
Thanks!

Have you tried just gathering your hair up in your hand, no combing and no brushing, or brush first, then just gather up, less chance of hairs to pull that way.

You have MBL and are i/ii so you should be able to do quite a lot of buns.

I use a 2-prong aluminum fork and find that that is the most comfortable for me (but that's me personally).

I would experiment with buns like the LWB (lazy wrap bun) & Nautilus and then try a 2-pronger (any material). Those buns are pretty popular and quite the go-to buns if you have no other options and want things easy (hence why I do them).

Alila
October 23rd, 2018, 04:24 AM
Tender head here :waving:
Most of the time redoing your bun or just putting your hairtoy in slightly differently helps.
For me low buns are a lot more comfortable than high buns.
And spin pins are great. Though not the most convenient. Sometimes they pull on individual strands to much and occasionally I put them in to close to my scalp. So I have to redo them a few times but they hold great and are super comfortable once I get it right.

SnailFarts
October 23rd, 2018, 03:49 PM
Quattro forks (https://www.etsy.com/shop/quattro)are so gentle and holds much better than I would have never imagined for metal hairtoys. They don't come out cheap, but for me they worth the price (also consider them a sort or jewelry, like Ficcares)

Wow those are beautiful. I love the simplicity.
Would you recommend a two prong fork for thin/fine hair instead of four prongs?

SnailFarts
October 23rd, 2018, 03:53 PM
Tender head here :waving:
Most of the time redoing your bun or just putting your hairtoy in slightly differently helps.
For me low buns are a lot more comfortable than high buns.
And spin pins are great. Though not the most convenient. Sometimes they pull on individual strands to much and occasionally I put them in to close to my scalp. So I have to redo them a few times but they hold great and are super comfortable once I get it right.

Hello fellow tender head! :waving:
Do you have a hair fork or a stick? I'm wonder if spin pins or a fork would hold better/ be more gentle.

SnailFarts
October 23rd, 2018, 03:56 PM
Hold will also occasionally depend on the size of your fork or stick. If you've looked around the swap board you may have seen the acronym "FPL"? That stands for "functional prong length" and that's how long the bit that actually holds your hair is.

I have three forks, only two of which I tend to use. The third is rarely chosen because its full size (FPL+ the rest of the fork, the top bit) is the same length as the other two forks' FPLs. There's less room on the prongs for my bun, so it either slips off and falls out, or I have to put the fork in too tightly to get it to hold. Neither of those are ideal, and the second is incredibly uncomfortable!

So measure your prongs (from where they start to the ends) and see if perhaps they're just too short for you. My hair is ~MBL now (between BSL and waist), and my forks need an FPL of 4" at least for both comfort and a little room to grow. Both of my comfortable ones are at 4.25", and my too-short fork is at 3". Good for half-ups, though!

I know thickness also plays a part, of course. But the FPL is still another thing to check when it comes to comfort and stability!

My fork has a functional length of 3.5 inches. Maybe it's too small for certain types of buns, even though my hair is thin..
I'll look into getting one big enough to grow into :)

SnailFarts
October 23rd, 2018, 04:00 PM
Have you tried just gathering your hair up in your hand, no combing and no brushing, or brush first, then just gather up, less chance of hairs to pull that way.

You have MBL and are i/ii so you should be able to do quite a lot of buns.

I use a 2-prong aluminum fork and find that that is the most comfortable for me (but that's me personally).

I would experiment with buns like the LWB (lazy wrap bun) & Nautilus and then try a 2-pronger (any material). Those buns are pretty popular and quite the go-to buns if you have no other options and want things easy (hence why I do them).

I tried a nautilus today, on your advice. I don't have quite enough hair for a proper nautilus, but a modified one seems to hold really well :)
What makes a two prong fork better than a three or four prong?

MusicalSpoons
October 23rd, 2018, 04:12 PM
I'm not particularly tender-headed but I can definitely tell a big difference between tight and comfortable styles. I find more prongs = better hold with less tension, generally speaking. Certain buns suit forks with slender prongs, and others suit wider prongs (I think this is very individual though). I do prefer forks with a headcurve, and sticks with either a curve or twist, so they don't sit at a true tangent to the head and therefore don't end up with most of the pressure in a single spot (also why forks are generally more comfortable than sticks).

Spin pins are great, small claw clips can also be used to distribute the weight of a bun and therefore cause less tension. Amish pins too, if they work for you.

Milady_DeWinter
October 23rd, 2018, 04:15 PM
Wow those are beautiful. I love the simplicity.
Would you recommend a two prong fork for thin/fine hair instead of four prongs?

I own both, and 4 prongs have a stronger hold, but 2 prongers are so versatile. I think that if your hair is thin a 2 pronger might be better: mine is fine but my mane is quite thick. 2 prongers at 4.5" or 4" should be perfect, but you can choose it aesthetically too. If you wanna peep, there's a Quattro thread (https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=4106) where you can ask and read lots of feedback, as I did before purchasing my first one :)

Corvana
October 24th, 2018, 02:30 PM
My fork has a functional length of 3.5 inches. Maybe it's too small for certain types of buns, even though my hair is thin..
I'll look into getting one big enough to grow into :)

It's definitely another factor to think about! I think the average FPL most tend to use is in the 4-4.5" range, and it seems to be fairly common in shops. If you like wood forks, then Jeter might be a good place to look? They have a nice range of woods and prong numbers. In the descriptions they also list prong length! But there are a lot of makers! I know OutNumbered Novelties just started to sell acrylic forks, and Yehvenia sells wood/resin ones.

As for your question about 2 prongs, I find that I like them for the fact that they're more stable and hold better than a stick, but the one I have at least is only as wide as two of my slim sticks next to each other or my ONN oval stick. So any bun I can use those on, I can use the 2-prong and it'll hold a bit better if I need to modify it so it's a little more loose (how I usually do this is by not getting scalp hair, but carefully pushing the fork through the base of my bun where the hair is wrapped. It holds the wrapped hair, but allows the base to loosen just enough to give added comfort. I do this when I have a migraine and it's wearable until the later stages of the migraine where having hair or skin at all is too painful :laugh:).

SnailFarts
October 29th, 2018, 06:31 PM
I'm not particularly tender-headed but I can definitely tell a big difference between tight and comfortable styles. I find more prongs = better hold with less tension, generally speaking. Certain buns suit forks with slender prongs, and others suit wider prongs (I think this is very individual though). I do prefer forks with a headcurve, and sticks with either a curve or twist, so they don't sit at a true tangent to the head and therefore don't end up with most of the pressure in a single spot (also why forks are generally more comfortable than sticks).

Spin pins are great, small claw clips can also be used to distribute the weight of a bun and therefore cause less tension. Amish pins too, if they work for you.

Thanks! Sounds like a lot of great information!

I own both, and 4 prongs have a stronger hold, but 2 prongers are so versatile. I think that if your hair is thin a 2 pronger might be better: mine is fine but my mane is quite thick. 2 prongers at 4.5" or 4" should be perfect, but you can choose it aesthetically too. If you wanna peep, there's a Quattro thread (https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=4106) where you can ask and read lots of feedback, as I did before purchasing my first one :)

Maybe I'll stick with two prongs then. At least until my bun is bigger :)

It's definitely another factor to think about! I think the average FPL most tend to use is in the 4-4.5" range, and it seems to be fairly common in shops. If you like wood forks, then Jeter might be a good place to look? They have a nice range of woods and prong numbers. In the descriptions they also list prong length! But there are a lot of makers! I know OutNumbered Novelties just started to sell acrylic forks, and Yehvenia sells wood/resin ones.

As for your question about 2 prongs, I find that I like them for the fact that they're more stable and hold better than a stick, but the one I have at least is only as wide as two of my slim sticks next to each other or my ONN oval stick. So any bun I can use those on, I can use the 2-prong and it'll hold a bit better if I need to modify it so it's a little more loose (how I usually do this is by not getting scalp hair, but carefully pushing the fork through the base of my bun where the hair is wrapped. It holds the wrapped hair, but allows the base to loosen just enough to give added comfort. I do this when I have a migraine and it's wearable until the later stages of the migraine where having hair or skin at all is too painful :laugh:).

Thanks for the info! I'll check out those shops.
Also I love the way you describe migraines as too painful to have skin or hair at all :laugh: too true

pailin
October 29th, 2018, 07:07 PM
You may find buns pull less with a bit more length. I find that center held buns like the lazy wrap or nautilus (and now, double loop buns) pulled less once I had the length. Lower buns almost always pull less, too for me. So experiment with position. Ficcares hold really well, but I couldn't wear them comfortably until I could do it with a center held bun. For me, if the toy or the pins touch the scalp, it will hurt; I don't know why. That's why I hate all pins, and why center helds work so well- I can keep the toy from touching my scalp. But you'll have to figure out the keys for yourself.

SnailFarts
October 29th, 2018, 10:53 PM
You may find buns pull less with a bit more length. I find that center held buns like the lazy wrap or nautilus (and now, double loop buns) pulled less once I had the length. Lower buns almost always pull less, too for me. So experiment with position. Ficcares hold really well, but I couldn't wear them comfortably until I could do it with a center held bun. For me, if the toy or the pins touch the scalp, it will hurt; I don't know why. That's why I hate all pins, and why center helds work so well- I can keep the toy from touching my scalp. But you'll have to figure out the keys for yourself.

Thanks, that's a good thing for me to keep in mind. I just trimmed my split ends, too, so I might have more trouble for a little while

Corvana
October 31st, 2018, 09:56 PM
Also maybe look for head curve! My Jeter has head curve (it's a 3 prong though), and that makes it quite comfortable. Perhaps a 2 prong fork with a little bit of head curve and a smidge more prong length will do you right!

SnailFarts
November 1st, 2018, 09:54 AM
Also maybe look for head curve! My Jeter has head curve (it's a 3 prong though), and that makes it quite comfortable. Perhaps a 2 prong fork with a little bit of head curve and a smidge more prong length will do you right!

Good idea! I'll definitely look for that in my next toy purchase :)