PDA

View Full Version : Winter Routine?

nycelle
October 22nd, 2018, 11:32 AM
Now that winter is coming to the Northern Hemisphere, does your routine, or the products you use change?

I'm going back to heavier conditioners and weekly deep conditioning treatments. My hair starts to dry out and needs more moisture than it does in the warmer weather.

Anyone else have the same issue?

HaMalka
October 22nd, 2018, 12:43 PM
My routine changes only in that I have to be more careful about timing my washes so that I don't go out with wet hair. Wet hair in summer is mildly annoying. Wet hair outside in winter makes it far more likely to get sick.

Doreen
October 22nd, 2018, 01:10 PM
My routine changes only in that I have to be more careful about timing my washes so that I don't go out with wet hair. Wet hair in summer is mildly annoying. Wet hair outside in winter makes it far more likely to get sick.

I have to be careful of this too. I always wash at night regardless of season, but if I go to sleep with it too damp, it will still be damp in the morning.

In the warmer months I don't use oils that often, but in the winter I try to do an oil treatment (olive, or avocado if I can afford it) at least every 2 weeks.

MusicalSpoons
October 22nd, 2018, 02:15 PM
This year is the first time I've found a routine that keeps my hair truly happy and moisturised, so I guess I'll find out what winter brings and if I have to make any changes. I anticipate possibly needing to resume conditioning my scalp (so far the shampoo I'm currently trying hasn't left me needing to at all) but if I'm not experimenting with treatments then my hair will just be in a bun all the time, so hopefully no drying out. We'll see :shrug:

ETA: oh yes, needing to wash earlier in the evening is an excellent point raised above. I'll have to be conscious of this as well, even for just a scalp wash. My hair goes from wet to damp very quickly, but then takes forever to actually dry :rolleyes:

Flagg
October 22nd, 2018, 02:30 PM
It's been so long since I've gone through a winter with snow and ice and well...finger numbing, eye watering COLD, that I have no idea what my routine will be. My area got sleet this past weekend!

I do know as of right now I need more moisture. The dry air will likely exacerbate that. My job gets so dry already, that I get shocked what feels like 50 million times a day.

I am prepared with my warm headband, so I can still bun my hair and keep my ears warm when I am outside. I may do more SMT, depending on how well those continue to work for me.

Ylva
October 22nd, 2018, 04:26 PM
I second having to time washes even more carefully than I already do. I will likely be covering my hair more when going out. It's also likely I will shampoo my lengths even less than usual, as that's key to keeping my hair hydrated.

Arciela
October 22nd, 2018, 04:29 PM
Yes I have the same issues! My hair gets more dry and I need to break out the heavy stuff. I make sure to do leave ins and keep treatments and try my best to stretch washes, but that's only because I hate being so cold with wet hair :lol:

nycelle
October 22nd, 2018, 04:34 PM
I second having to time washes even more carefully than I already do. I will likely be covering my hair more when going out. It's also likely I will shampoo my lengths even less than usual, as that's key to keeping my hair hydrated.

I'm the opposite with keeping my hair hydrated.
Tested it and went an entire week without washing. My scalp wasn't even very oil, but my mid-length to ends started to feel very dry. Once I hit day 4, I had to use a leave-in daily until I washed.

nycelle
October 22nd, 2018, 04:34 PM
Yes I have the same issues! My hair gets more dry and I need to break out the heavy stuff. I make sure to do leave ins and keep treatments and try my best to stretch washes, but that's only because I hate being so cold with wet hair :lol:

I think you and I have the same hair.

lapushka
October 22nd, 2018, 04:55 PM
Now that winter is coming to the Northern Hemisphere, does your routine, or the products you use change?

I'm going back to heavier conditioners and weekly deep conditioning treatments. My hair starts to dry out and needs more moisture than it does in the warmer weather.

Hmm, not really. I first thought I'd reserve the oil rinse for this time of year, but I slipped into spring & summer with it as well. :o

*Wednesday*
October 22nd, 2018, 05:35 PM
My winter routine, I do the once weekly hair mask treatment. I go heavy too. I started already. I live in NJ, the air gets dry. I actually just bought Garnier Damage Repair 1 min hair mask treatment. My hair isn't damaged but it is very moisturizing. I still oil after I wash.

leayellena
October 23rd, 2018, 01:29 AM
ah I love winter: back to co-wash (I am minimalist), a lot of proteins and moisture. not caring much which conditioner, but it's important to have either moisture or proteins. preferably proteins especially when it's minus degrees outside :D

lapushka
October 23rd, 2018, 04:15 AM
I checked my blog and this Sunday was week 49, so 3 weeks from now, last year is when I started this routine with the oil rinsing, so in deep fall last year. I just was so pleased with the effect it gave on my ends apparently that I just kept using it. I am not about to break that habit now in fall/winter. In fact, I have grown to like this quite a bit.

Joules
October 23rd, 2018, 05:40 AM
My go-to product is flaxseed oil. I take a tablespoon of it a day during winter, usually mixed with yogurt or something like that, because on its own flaxseed oil tastes like slow painful death. Flaxseed oil contains a lot of Omega 3-6-9, some people even say it's better than fish oil in that sense. When I take it regularly it makes me a bit oilier, which in dry environment becomes just the right amount of natural moisturizing. I used to take it every winter for years, this past one was an exception because well, I had a lot going on and kinda forgot about it. Maybe I'll try coconut oil, since it tastes better, but overall yeah, adding oil to my diet is the best thing for my hair and skin in the winter. Please note that I don't eat a lot of oils in general, I just don't like greasy food, so maybe if you do eat a lot of oils adding flaxseed on top of it won't be as beneficial.

Other than that, I don't even know what I should change. It's gonna be the first winter of my new siliconey and sulfate-y routine, and I'm low-key dreading it :D (it's still fairly warm and the central heating isn't on yet, so I have some time to think about it). I think I'll experiment with ROO. I know I've been saying it for the past 6 months, but I really mean it this time. There's not much else I can add to my routine since I already use quite a lot of heavy stuff, ROO is the only thing I haven't really tried yet.

lapushka
October 23rd, 2018, 05:49 AM
Other than that, I don't even know what I should change. It's gonna be the first winter of my new siliconey and sulfate-y routine, and I'm low-key dreading it :D (it's still fairly warm and the central heating isn't on yet, so I have some time to think about it). I think I'll experiment with ROO. I know I've been saying it for the past 6 months, but I really mean it this time. There's not much else I can add to my routine since I already use quite a lot of heavy stuff, ROO is the only thing I haven't really tried yet.

Joules, let us know how you fare in the ROO thread? Please? Good or bad! I will be excited to hear all about it! :D
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=129191

paulownia
October 23rd, 2018, 06:21 AM
My go-to product is flaxseed oil. I take a tablespoon of it a day during winter, usually mixed with yogurt or something like that, because on its own flaxseed oil tastes like slow painful death. Flaxseed oil contains a lot of Omega 3-6-9, some people even say it's better than fish oil in that sense. When I take it regularly it makes me a bit oilier, which in dry environment becomes just the right amount of natural moisturizing. I used to take it every winter for years, this past one was an exception because well, I had a lot going on and kinda forgot about it. Maybe I'll try coconut oil, since it tastes better, but overall yeah, adding oil to my diet is the best thing for my hair and skin in the winter.
Great, that reminds me that I should buy flaxseed.
I don't even try to down the oil:D but I've been incorporation flaxseed into my diet before. I just add them to my oatmeal.
I don't change that much in my haircare routine for winter. Mostly I just cut off the humectants (glycerin, aloe vera) and use silicones more often. Cold times mean just wearing hat, putting hair up more often and waiting for spring:D

nycelle
October 23rd, 2018, 06:46 AM
We have electric heat that's been on straight for the last 3-4 days. My hair already feels drier.

This morning I had to re-wet my length, and add a leave-in, then a bit of oil. Going to do an overnight treatment tomorrow night. Yep, time to switch to heavier products.

nycelle
October 23rd, 2018, 06:48 AM
My winter routine, I do the once weekly hair mask treatment. I go heavy too. I started already. I live in NJ, the air gets dry. I actually just bought Garnier Damage Repair 1 min hair mask treatment. My hair isn't damaged but it is very moisturizing. I still oil after I wash.

Here too (Manhattan), but it's the electric heat kills me every year.
Are you more inland, or closer to the Hudson?

Alibran
October 23rd, 2018, 09:12 AM
My wash routine is the same year round. I leave in less conditioner in winter because the sun isn't so hot, and doesn't strip so much moisture out of my hair, but I leave in more coconut oil because I wear it down a lot and it helps to hold the curl pattern and prevent frizz. My hair loves winter.

RosaCurl
October 23rd, 2018, 09:54 AM
Winter is terribly hard on my hair and my skin. The air is so dry both my hair and my skin become super oily super fast, I think because they're trying to overcompensate. As a result, I have to wash my hair more often, which leaves it more dry.

So far this fall things have been going alright, though. This is my first winter with my new leave-in conditioner, and I'm hopeful for better results this year.

*Wednesday*
October 23rd, 2018, 10:05 AM
Here too (Manhattan), but it's the electric heat kills me every year.
Are you more inland, or closer to the Hudson?

I'm in Ocean County. I have gas. I've been running it as well. Especially at night. Mouth is dry...need lotion. Yep, I had to get the hair more moisture.

Natashap
October 23rd, 2018, 10:15 AM
We have electric heat that's been on straight for the last 3-4 days. My hair already feels drier.

This morning I had to re-wet my length, and add a leave-in, then a bit of oil. Going to do an overnight treatment tomorrow night. Yep, time to switch to heavier products.

Have you tried humidifier,it really helps when indoor heat is on .

It helps with static troubles too.:pumpkin::p

nycelle
October 23rd, 2018, 10:46 AM
Have you tried humidifier,it really helps when indoor heat is on .

It helps with static troubles too.:pumpkin::p

Yes, have one (on my 4th actually.)
The issue is refilling it every few hours. Every one I've had barely reaches the recommended humidity level before I have to refill with water. And I don't have the patience to be re-filling it every 3 or so hours. I really wish I can find one that's good for an entire day at least.

Joules
October 23rd, 2018, 11:00 AM
Joules, let us know how you fare in the ROO thread? Please? Good or bad! I will be excited to hear all about it! :D
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=129191

Will do! I need my hair to be in a bit drier state, so I'm still on my summer routine for a couple more weeks :)

lapushka
October 23rd, 2018, 11:11 AM
Will do! I need my hair to be in a bit drier state, so I'm still on my summer routine for a couple more weeks :)

Okidoki! :) :D

Strands
October 23rd, 2018, 11:16 AM
Ha, I guess I am lucky to be in San Diego, here it gets MORE humid in the winter months. However, it being so dry here, I am always oiling my hair. I have high porosity and it is dry.

I used to live in Iowa, I found that although keeping my hair dry when going out was important, I was also using a LOT of leave in conditioners. This was before LHC, but I was a chronic heat abuser of my hair those days, and the dryness was so terribly on my hair. So I don't know how useful this will be to all of you, but I found that basically drudging my hair in leave-ins kept my hair hydrated so that when I DID straighten it (yikes) it did not get crispy. I was using heat protectant, but cmon. we all know that a magic chemical is not going to stop heat from damaging dead cells.

anyway, have fun in the cold winter friends!

MoonRabbit
October 23rd, 2018, 12:21 PM
Yes, have one (on my 4th actually.)
The issue is refilling it every few hours. Every one I've had barely reaches the recommended humidity level before I have to refill with water. And I don't have the patience to be re-filling it every 3 or so hours. I really wish I can find one that's good for an entire day at least.

Here is the one I use https://crane-usa.com/product/white-drop/ and it lasts for about a day and a half if I use it on high. Even longer if I keep it on low. Though I am not sure about "levels" as I have never checked a rooms humidity but this one works great for me.

nycelle
October 23rd, 2018, 01:04 PM
Here is the one I use https://crane-usa.com/product/white-drop/ and it lasts for about a day and a half if I use it on high. Even longer if I keep it on low. Though I am not sure about "levels" as I have never checked a rooms humidity but this one works great for me.

Thanks for the recommendation. Unfortunately, it only covers 500 sq ft. I think that's one of the issue I have - finding something that's large enough for the entire living room.

Wravyn
October 23rd, 2018, 03:32 PM

I've actually been having these same thoughts. I noticed this past week that my hair has been frizzy and dry already, so I started my weekly deep-conditioning a few days ago. I also bought a leave-in conditioner (coconut oil by Hask) which so far has worked beautifully. I hate having to blow-dry my hair for when I leave on weekday mornings, but I'm hoping that I can get away with leaving it ever-so-slightly damp at the ends to minimize damage.

Eastbound&Down
October 24th, 2018, 09:39 AM
I reduce my weekly washes to 1x a week instead of 2x. I also wear more head coverings (scarves or beanies) when outdoors especially at night. I also start using my silk drops to help with fly-aways and to help coat the strands.

nycelle
October 24th, 2018, 09:42 AM
Any reason why some of you guys reduce washings? I have to wash 2-3 times a week. Anything less and my ends get very dry.

Dark40
October 24th, 2018, 03:25 PM
My routine stays the same all year round. I do know that living in lower humidity in GA the air is drier. So, I need to continue to do more deep moisturizing conditioning/moisturizing treatments. I also have wash my hair 2-3 times a week too. Or, my hair will start shedding more than usual.

Eastbound&Down
October 24th, 2018, 07:56 PM
Any reason why some of you guys reduce washings? I have to wash 2-3 times a week. Anything less and my ends get very dry.

My hair doesn't get greasy as quickly during the colder months, so I don't need to wash as often. I have the opposite effect from you, too much washing makes my ends feel dry.

kidari
October 26th, 2018, 03:44 PM
This winter I'm going to alternate CO washes and regular washes with shampoo when I need to wash (I usually wash 2-3 times a week). Also, I will do a coconut oil pre-wash treatment or a deep conditioning mask at least once a week and lightly oil the ends almost every night.

Stray_mind
October 27th, 2018, 01:34 PM
I am keeping my routine the same. Maybe i'll just get something to deal with static.

lithostoic
October 27th, 2018, 02:13 PM
I keep my hair up more because of the wind. This means I also stretch washes since it doesn't look oily as quickly. I use coconut oil on my ends, mainly. This year I'm going to try the rinse-out-oil method, using almond oil.

kidari
October 27th, 2018, 02:41 PM
I am keeping my routine the same. Maybe i'll just get something to deal with static.

I switched to a wooden paddle brush and a wooden wide tooth comb- not only has it helped my hair but I discovered that it prevents static too!

lillii
October 29th, 2018, 12:14 PM
I'm incorporating hot oil massages twice a week for the winter and replacing my shower head filter, which I should have done in the summer but the colder air plus more chlorinated water when washing, not a good combination for my hair.

MusicalSpoons
October 29th, 2018, 02:00 PM
The first two days of being out for any real length of time since the winter hit, and I realised the bulk of my scarf and padded coat push against the bottom of my bun and loosen it so much I have to (begrudgingly) redo a couple of times. So for winter I'm going to have to do my buns higher!

Sid0rela
October 30th, 2018, 07:38 AM
i dont know how my hair is gonna react this year.. febrary til may i was on accutane and it was a good time for my hair, cause i could stretch my washes to 1week+.
and this year is the year is started to take care of my hair, so i will try different things to see what works.
this month my hair began being oily a lot and i have to wash 3-4 times a week :(
really hope things change in the winter, but i doubt it will change much. i am usually oily all year round.
i will probably try new products and add masks and leave ins to my routine..

SallySue
October 30th, 2018, 10:03 AM
This is my first winter after changing my routine to the Curly Girl method. I'm thoroughly confused since my hair is losing its curl so much more quickly now than in the summer humidity.
Anybody else been through this and have any advice?