PDA

View Full Version : Gaining length but not thickness. Ideas?

WyntreBlossom
October 20th, 2018, 04:43 PM
I would love to see just more hair all around. My hair is a decent thickness and is by no means things. But I would love to see my thickness grow as my length does. Any ideas for ways to thicken hair? Or is that all just based on your own genes.

Ylva
October 20th, 2018, 04:45 PM
Microtrimming helps thicken the ends, if that's what you want. It won't hinder you from growing if you regularly cut less than what you grow. :)

WyntreBlossom
October 20th, 2018, 04:50 PM
I don't like to trim or micro trim as I do not have many or any dead ends and i also just don't like trimming. I'm looking for overall thickness. My hemline is still the same thickness as my overall hair so I'm not too worried about that.

Ylva
October 20th, 2018, 04:58 PM
I doubt you can do much about that other than be at your healthiest and treat your hair nicely.

WyntreBlossom
October 20th, 2018, 05:03 PM
Thanks. I was afraid that might be the case haha. Ill just keep on what I've been doing haha.

Dark40
October 20th, 2018, 09:22 PM
Yes, it depends on your genes. You got to be born with thick hair. My hair is thick and my hemline is thick. Or, you can try volumizing shampoos and conditioners. That helps. Especially, if you don't like microtrimming or trimming.

leayellena
October 21st, 2018, 01:35 AM
our lhc-er eresh https://www.youtube.com/user/zilvervisje has ii normal thickness but she's aiming to ankle length. it's ok to have normal thickness and very long hair. I have also a stupid hemline from my past long pixie haircut but frankly I don't care as I aim for class and beyond and my hair is always up (https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=13371)

Corvana
October 21st, 2018, 01:41 AM
Sadly you've only got so many follicles on your scalp!

However I will say that I've seen some thickening of my hair due to hair retention increasing. The last time I had long hair (maybe 6 years ago? 7?) I would brush so roughly, just ripping the brush through my hair. I would rip hairs out every time, and I'd brush several times a day (to tame my hair, because I thought it was straight but bad at it). I stopped doing that, and so I stopped ripping hairs out before they were ready, and so I've got more hair staying on my head. I don't have any more follicles, and I've likely hit my top end of thickness, but it was still pretty significant of a difference! I think it was about a quarter of an inch?

So that could be a possibility, perhaps, but that's really about all that could happen!

lapushka
October 21st, 2018, 04:12 AM
I would love to see just more hair all around. My hair is a decent thickness and is by no means things. But I would love to see my thickness grow as my length does. Any ideas for ways to thicken hair? Or is that all just based on your own genes.

I think your hair right now *is* thick at the hemline.

It is quite normal for hair to gain length before thickness travels down.

You can't create more follicles than you have on your head. The only thing you can do is not make it cycle through as fast. If you have a good food intake / diet, that should take care of most of that! It is extremely important to get good iron and such, so a regular blood panel is not a luxury, I tend to say. I get my blood drawn yearly (also because I am on heavy duty meds).

You could, like Ylva mentioned, microtrim, but if you are OK with your thickness right now, there's no need for it ATM.

Maybe do the no-trimming for the first half of 2019 and then see where you are?

I see nothing wrong with your hair right now, girl; it's gorgeous! :D :flower:

Margarita
October 21st, 2018, 08:52 AM
Do you think putting on a silk scarf will help?

nycelle
October 21st, 2018, 08:57 AM
Do you think putting on a silk scarf will help?

Silk scarf will control frizz, but get rid of volume. It won't make your hair appear thicker, rather flatter.

sophia_
October 21st, 2018, 10:07 AM
I have this problem, my hair isn't super thin but my cuticle is very smooth and my hair is 1a so it lies flat against itself in one straight mass all the time. There are products that can make the cuticle not lie so flat against itself, but those come with sacrificing softness. I used to use the ogx biotin root booster, which did make it appear thicker, but it felt like straw. For the past few years I've just been dealing with the flatness, lol.

WyntreBlossom
October 21st, 2018, 11:03 AM
Thank you everyone. Im avoiding all trimming micro trimming, but after reading your sweet words of kindness and advice I am kinda ok that my hair is averagely thick now. I should probably learn to love my hair as it is before do I do any volumizing treatments on it. But I will keep the shampoo idea in mind. Thank you all so much <3

RavenMane
November 2nd, 2018, 12:03 AM
My hair got "thicker" as was said earlier, because I retained more of the hairs on my head. The hair at the back of my neck would get tangled and break off. So when I started protecting that hair, I noticed that my ponytail got thicker over time, because more hairs were growing to their full length.