PDA

View Full Version : One Week of Hair Shed.

MoonRabbit
October 19th, 2018, 04:56 PM
The amount of "normal" shed hairs is always a big discussion here. I have seem many fresh members and even some regulars that become concerned about the amount of hair they lose daily or during wash day. Some times the worry is justified, but usually we seem to become aware of those sheds and it freaks us out a bit even though it is a normal amount.

I decided to track my sheds for one week which is my usual cycle since I only wash my hair every seven days. Now of course this is not thee normal amount everyone should shed. This is just my usual week. We also need to take genetics, length, cycle time ( how many times you wash your hair), etc into consideration because all of these will drastically change the visual appearance of the amount of sheds seen.

For one week, I brushed my hair once a day, collected those hairs into a ball and snapped a pic. The first photo is of days 1 and 2 post wash since I needed to keep my wave pattern for the first day. The last day was wash day, it is the result of prewash brushing, washing, detangling with conditioner, and combing again after getting out of the shower.

https://i.postimg.cc/1tFqh00b/20181019-172541.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

It may seem like a lot but this is very normal for me, some weeks it is less and others it is a little more but my circumference has always remained the same. Hopefully this will ease some minds to those that think they are losing too much.

Feel free to share your own results.

lapushka
October 19th, 2018, 05:21 PM
OMG that is nothing. I shed 3x a palm full of hair on wash day alone, pre-wash detangling, during the wash, and after the wash. Comes out to about 3x a palm full. And then I shed Tuesday through Saturdays as well. Monday I don't lose hair (except maybe a few strands), due to it all having come out the Sunday/wash day.

Arciela
October 19th, 2018, 05:31 PM
That looks like so little! :flower:

When I wash my hair I just shed probably half of that and sometimes double that. It used to be way, way more but after I began my diet for a condition I have my hair also improved..yay I guess! I don't brush my hair either as I am a wavy..and brushing leaves me like a poof ball :lol:

littlestarface
October 19th, 2018, 05:48 PM
Those are baby balls LOOOOOOOOOOL :rollin:

Julescarm
October 20th, 2018, 12:12 AM
This does make me feel better. I myself tend to forget everyone sheds. When I was on maintenance I always swept up at least one four foot strand of hair every night in the same area.

Corvana
October 20th, 2018, 12:40 AM
I've noticed that my sheds seem to be so much bigger, but when I really look it's about the same as always just with longer hairs! That always makes me feel better :laugh:

Simsy
October 20th, 2018, 02:00 AM
I've noticed that my sheds seem to be so much bigger, but when I really look it's about the same as always just with longer hairs! That always makes me feel better :laugh:

The minor panic when I see the bundle of hair and then realise how much is one strand tangling onto itself.

TreesOfEternity
October 20th, 2018, 03:22 AM
Wow I get bigger ones and I’m just at MBL you are so lucky! :flower:

vpatt
October 20th, 2018, 04:47 AM
That doesn't look like much. My regular shed is similar. My major shed could have been compacted into about the size of a jumbo egg, maybe more...every day for ten weeks. It left my ponytail a half inch smaller in circumference. Now I am eating a paleo diet (high in healthy oils) for 5 months. I have lost 34 pounds and no hair loss, yippee! I am really thinking the oil is good for my hair. My hair does not grow the fastest but I feel so much better when it doesn't fall out like that.

lapushka
October 20th, 2018, 12:24 PM
I think that is about my shed pattern, for the week, when I finger detangle, *but* I lose hair on wash day too and that is like 3 palms full of hair on top of the weekly shed because I can't get all the sheds out with fingers, it all comes out with the brush on Sunday during pre-wash detangling. Then there's the manipulation of a wash (again a tiny palm full) and then after the wash (more than a palm full), so it evens out to 3 palms full of hair.

At least my circumference stays the same, so I'm not worried; I think that is always the main thing. Shedding can be so different for different people, again YMMV.

Dark40
October 20th, 2018, 09:34 PM
That's not a lot at all. On my wash day I only have less than that. I don't shed that much hair at all. I've noticed that when I stretch my wash days my hair sheds more than it does when I wash it frequently. Even when I comb or brush it I don't have any hairs coming out at all. But if stretch my washes to 7 days I will get a big clump of hair shed.

Jo Ann
October 20th, 2018, 11:11 PM
Oh, Lordy!

Mine covers the drain cover of my shower when I wash it :shocked:

I don't count how many hairs that are shed, but I know my piles are larger than that :flower:

AshtangiPNW
October 22nd, 2018, 09:43 AM
The amount of "normal" shed hairs is always a big discussion here. I have seem many fresh members and even some regulars that become concerned about the amount of hair they lose daily or during wash day. Some times the worry is justified, but usually we seem to become aware of those sheds and it freaks us out a bit even though it is a normal amount.

I decided to track my sheds for one week which is my usual cycle since I only wash my hair every seven days. Now of course this is not thee normal amount everyone should shed. This is just my usual week. We also need to take genetics, length, cycle time ( how many times you wash your hair), etc into consideration because all of these will drastically change the visual appearance of the amount of sheds seen.

For one week, I brushed my hair once a day, collected those hairs into a ball and snapped a pic. The first photo is of days 1 and 2 post wash since I needed to keep my wave pattern for the first day. The last day was wash day, it is the result of prewash brushing, washing, detangling with conditioner, and combing again after getting out of the shower.

https://i.postimg.cc/1tFqh00b/20181019-172541.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

It may seem like a lot but this is very normal for me, some weeks it is less and others it is a little more but my circumference has always remained the same. Hopefully this will ease some minds to those that think they are losing too much.

Feel free to share your own results.

Thanks for posting this, MoonRabbit :) Do you notice any seasonal shedding patterns? I usually only shed 1-5 hairs a day, but it seems to be a bit more lately. I have "ii" hair so I'm glad that I don't shed handfuls! I would be left bald! :) I also came down with a cold last week (....and was traveling so my routine was a little different)....so lots of other factors could be weighing in to cause a bit more shedding :)

MoonRabbit
October 22nd, 2018, 10:55 AM
Thanks for posting this, MoonRabbit :) Do you notice any seasonal shedding patterns? I usually only shed 1-5 hairs a day, but it seems to be a bit more lately. I have "ii" hair so I'm glad that I don't shed handfuls! I would be left bald! :) I also came down with a cold last week (....and was traveling so my routine was a little different)....so lots of other factors could be weighing in to cause a bit more shedding :)

I shed more during the warmer months. Last wash, my shed was twice as big so it doesn't stay exactly the same each time. I also noticed that I lose more hair around the time of my monthly visitor since my hormones go crazy. Sickness and changes in routine can cause more shed so I wouldn't think too much into it.

AshtangiPNW
October 22nd, 2018, 12:50 PM
I shed more during the warmer months. Last wash, my shed was twice as big so it doesn't stay exactly the same each time. I also noticed that I lose more hair around the time of my monthly visitor since my hormones go crazy. Sickness and changes in routine can cause more shed so I wouldn't think too much into it.

Good to know :)

AutobotsAttack
October 26th, 2018, 11:08 PM
This is from half of my head after one day. I may or may not save all of my sheds for a week. I’m not sure I wanna see it lol

https://i.imgflip.com/2l30qm.jpg (https://imgflip.com/i/2l30qm)via Imgflip Meme Generator (https://imgflip.com/memegenerator)

Alibran
October 27th, 2018, 05:40 AM
That's nothing, and mine's only APL. I joke that I shed more on wash day than most people have on their heads to begin with.

I did have a big scare once, when I had an unexpected reaction to salon colour (a brand I'd used before, and have continued to use since, without any problems), and it literally came out in handfuls when I washed the next day. It was wrapped round my hands so thick that you could barely see skin, smeared on the wall of the shower, piled on the shower drain ... and it was above shoulder at the time. Once it was dry, I wouldn't have known I'd ever lost any.

lapushka
October 27th, 2018, 07:51 AM
Alibran, I know just what you mean. I shed guinea pig size balls here weekly, and during the week more comes out. Still, I don't lose my thickness, and that is what matters!

maborosi
October 28th, 2018, 01:06 AM
My shedding looks insane, but I just have to remind myself that it's because I have fairly long hair.

But my poor vacuum...

You know you have long hair when your hair has a vacuum killcount.

blackgothicdoll
February 21st, 2020, 05:35 PM
Is this a lot of shed hair for one week?

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=40355&d=1582331554

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=40356&d=1582332662

Untressed
February 21st, 2020, 07:52 PM
Is this a lot of shed hair for one week?]

I don't think so. Have you noticed that you are shedding more recently? If not, I wouldn't worry.

My recent shed was pretty severe. I am afraid if I kept for a week, it would be the size of a small dog. Chemical sensitivities and health issues are the worst to deal with.

blackgothicdoll
February 22nd, 2020, 10:51 AM
I don't think so. Have you noticed that you are shedding more recently? If not, I wouldn't worry.

My recent shed was pretty severe. I am afraid if I kept for a week, it would be the size of a small dog. Chemical sensitivities and health issues are the worst to deal with.

It is a lot more than I'm used to. I've never taken pictures before but I've never had a lot outside of my brush. These days I end up painting the shower wall with it, pulling a lot out during the week, and even after I've washed and detangled I still have shed hairs coming out.

I'm sorry about your shed, I hope it gets better.

The-Young-Maid
February 22nd, 2020, 01:15 PM
It is a lot more than I'm used to. I've never taken pictures before but I've never had a lot outside of my brush. These days I end up painting the shower wall with it, pulling a lot out during the week, and even after I've washed and detangled I still have shed hairs coming out.

I'm sorry about your shed, I hope it gets better.

It doesn't look alarming. Have you made any changes recently? Routine, products or diet? I'd keep taking pictures just to see if it remains consistent. It could always be seasonal.

Ligeia Noire
February 22nd, 2020, 03:16 PM
It all varies...that's a day's worth for me...