PDA

View Full Version : Bottom 4" of hair less than 1/4 inch circumference. Should I cut all 4"s off?

Fantak
November 3rd, 2008, 02:23 PM
I will probably cry for a couple of days at their loss (yes I have become very sentimental when it comes to my hair).

I've read about just dusting the ends. However I think I've left my hair too long without trimming for that option (2 and a half years.. hah!).

So what do you suggest: Cut off 4" of wispy hair bottom, or just do a 1/4 inch every month?

Thanks!

Aisha25
November 3rd, 2008, 02:25 PM
Just a 1/4 inch will be ok that way you dont take so much off all at once to me that would be traumatic and I would probably faint:lol:

lora410
November 3rd, 2008, 02:28 PM
I agree with the 1/4 inch a month. There is no law that says you even need to trim it off unless you are unhappy with it.

Fantak
November 3rd, 2008, 02:31 PM
Aisha I just saw one of your posts in another thread. You have gorgeous gorgeous hair. I'm going to sit here and close my eyes and imagine it like yours. :love: *sends you beautiful long hair energy*

lol

Thanks for the tip, yes it would be pretty traumatic which is why I thought I'd ask just incase I was committing long-hair suicide O.o

Thrasher07
November 3rd, 2008, 02:35 PM
1/4 inch a month I'd say. My hair has a much thinner circumference near the ends, but I can't bring myself to trim it hehe, I've decided I will maintain at TB (when I get there!) and trim until the ends are better.

Fantak
November 3rd, 2008, 02:36 PM
Ty!

Does any one have any tips or legends about cutting hair. I know my grandmother used to say to always cut it at the first of the lunar month and never at night. Has anyone heard anything similar?

YaY I'm so excited now I'm on this forum, ooking at everyone's hair and how long it's gotten and how long everyone would like it to be!

Islandgrrl
November 3rd, 2008, 02:36 PM
I agree with the 1/4" per month!

Aisha25
November 3rd, 2008, 02:39 PM
Aisha I just saw one of your posts in another thread. You have gorgeous gorgeous hair. I'm going to sit here and close my eyes and imagine it like yours. :love: *sends you beautiful long hair energy*

lol

Thanks for the tip, yes it would be pretty traumatic which is why I thought I'd ask just incase I was committing long-hair suicide O.o
:laugh: thank you sweety go ahead and imagine all you like:flowers:

Poppy Seed
November 3rd, 2008, 02:49 PM
Does any one have any tips or legends about cutting hair. I know my grandmother used to say to always cut it at the first of the lunar month and never at night. Has anyone heard anything similar?

YaY I'm so excited now I'm on this forum, ooking at everyone's hair and how long it's gotten and how long everyone would like it to be!

No-one else has mentioned this one yet - I hope people with experience of it can give you more info.

For tips on when the best and worst times to cut hair are, search the boards for Moroccan Method, MM. I don't actually know much about it (I rarely trim my hair, and usually it's an impulse thing), but I've seen that one mentioned a lot. At some point in the past I had a look at it, and seem to remember that there's whole calendars about when to cut your hair for best strength, or best growth and things like that.

I would also go with trimming small amounts more frequently than one big chunk, if you need/want to. It's pretty traumatic! Besides, it always surprises me how much difference a small trim can make to the look, feel and handling of the hair.

missbexy
November 3rd, 2008, 03:01 PM
Ty!

One legend/spell type thing that's supposed to stimulate hair growth is to trim your hair (or have a man trim your hair on 24th July then plant the trimmings. Cut hair during new moon to promote luxurious hair growth is another. A third is cut of a lock of your hair and plant it beneath a willow tree. Basically, hair trimming during waxing/new moon good, waning moon bad. So i guess the best thing would be to have a man trim your hair on July 24th, if its a new moon and then bury it below a willow tree lol.
Hope you enjoyed that information!

Fantak
November 3rd, 2008, 03:17 PM
Ty will have a look at MM.

Lol missbexy hmm you know my uncle does have a willow tree in his garden.. lol

missbexy
November 3rd, 2008, 03:21 PM
lol I haven't tried any of those but I think its a new moon tonight...

Fantak
November 3rd, 2008, 03:49 PM
Yes it is.. we work on a lunar calender and today is the 5th of the month which is still new moon ^.^

wintersun99
November 3rd, 2008, 05:14 PM

zift
November 3rd, 2008, 06:13 PM
If you say that you can bear with the whispies until your thickness grows back than I'd suggest 1/2" at a time. If you want immediate improvement, I say go for 4". As I've experienced if you're consistent in growing, the 4" will grow back without you know it because time passes so fast! And with the shock of losing length you'll burn more with growing passion:D

maskedrose
November 3rd, 2008, 06:34 PM
If it were me, I'd probably go ahead and trim the 4" off. I hate it when my ends get wispy - I just trimmed 1.5 inches due to see-through ends and I seriously don't miss it that much at all...and my ends feel sooo much better!

Maybe trim 2" off now and then trim another 2" off in a month or two? That way you would be thickening up the ends dramatically but doing it in a way that won't make you feel faint every time you look at your hair. You might find that you are perfectly happy with only 2" off as well.

I love thick ends though...so do whatever you feel most comfortable with.

harley mama
November 3rd, 2008, 06:55 PM
I had the same problem due to thinning hair from chemo.It took me several months before I got brave enough to have 4" cut from my length. I was so glad that I finally did. My hem is so much easier to detangle and it appears much thicker now. Cutting your hair is a personal choice. You have to be happy with your decision. I miss my length but, I don't regret the trim.

Speedbump
November 3rd, 2008, 07:01 PM
Haven't read anything but the OP: I would definitely go with the smaller trims. :)

spidermom
November 3rd, 2008, 07:07 PM
If I were unhappy with my ends, I'd get it all cut off at once. I don't want to be fighting with bad ends every day. If they aren't so bad, then go slow and gradual; that works, too.

Deborah
November 3rd, 2008, 09:13 PM
I would cut it all at once too. I hate scraggly ends, and when I don't like mine I always have a number of inches cut off. I love having fresh, even, full ends. It feels like a fresh start of some kind, and the hair is extra swingy and nice.

Only you know what your emotional response is after a substantial trim. I always feel great, but some here feel a sense of loss. Try to assess how you have felt in the past when you did not like the look of your hair versus how you have felt after a good trim. I think then you will know what to do.

I hope you find a happy solution. :)

Anje
November 3rd, 2008, 09:24 PM
If it were me, I would probably cut off most of the thin ends. Maybe not everything, but 2-3 inches of it. I imagine that because it's so thin there, you won't really notice that it's gone, except that it doesn't tickle quite as far down, and you won't have thin ends to tuck into buns.

On the other hand, if you like fairytale ends, you could just S&D them and leave them alone. Word is that fairytales make the best buns, because the ends tuck in nicely and can secure the bun better than blunt ends.

I'm trying to deal with thin ends right now, too, so I feel your pain. Right now, I'm just removing all the growth each month, and maintaining my length more or less until I've got the ends a bit thicker. As near as I can tell (not very near), I've got about C=1/2" about 1 inch or so from the ends.

Fantak
November 4th, 2008, 12:54 AM
Ty everyone for your input!

I'v decided to take about 1.5" off. I think I will do it myself too. I remember seeing something on LHC on the proper way to cut your hair.

I know I need to use proper hair scissors, but I'm sure I read something about the angle I should cut it at. I've done a search but didn't come up with anything. Can anyone give me instructions or a link?

Thank you.

Robbi Dehlinger
November 4th, 2008, 01:01 AM
Go for the 1/4, 4 inches is too much at one swath!!!

Nightshade
November 4th, 2008, 01:08 AM
We have a pretty similar taper, and I'm a huge advocate for gradual frequent trims.

Worked for me, anyway :flowers:

Fantak
November 4th, 2008, 05:17 AM
YaY I did it! I wasn't too worried about it being straight because my hair curls at the bottom so it wouldn't really show.

I went out and got a pair of hair scissors (they are expensive!) and combed the boards for trimming do's and don'ts. Didn't find many but someone said something about cutting at a right angle to the hair, which I did as best I could.

About the amount of hair I cut: I sort of eyed where it aught to be cut and figured it was about 1.5 inches, snipped away and was fine.. then I decided to measure the little wisp of hair that I cut off.. 3.5 inches.. I almost cried (just goes to show that it's all in your head).

I don't know how I miscalculated it maybe because the hair was in a curl I sort of measured the height of the curls instead of the length of hair.. no idea.. well it's gone.. my hair seems happier though. I now have it in a braid down my back between my top and my sweater so I can't see it hehe

Thank you everyone for the tips!

Robbi Dehlinger
November 4th, 2008, 05:19 AM
That must be why some salon people cut too much off? Anyway, glad it worked out:)

Fantak
November 4th, 2008, 05:24 AM
That must be why some salon people cut too much off? Anyway, glad it worked out:)

Never thought of that.. I always think of stylist as teh 3vil which is why I haven't had a stylist trim my hair in years. You do have a point though, I guess one aught to be a little more understanding..

Robbi Dehlinger
November 4th, 2008, 05:36 AM
Never thought of that.. I always think of stylist as teh 3vil which is why I haven't had a stylist trim my hair in years. You do have a point though, I guess one aught to be a little more understanding..

well, as long as they apologize anyway? I know some who have had hack jobs and the stylist acted like there should not be an issue?

THAT is when I would have stomped out and not paid:)

Fantak
November 4th, 2008, 05:41 AM
Well it's a combination of hacking off too much and constantly being told my hair is too fine/thin to be this long :/

This website was a God send when it came to hair thickness for me. I'm actually at the higher end of normal thickness!